Prospect Info: 2020 Draft #111 - Mitchell Miller (RHD) [Mod Warning post #312]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
As somebody who currently works in the Disability Care sector, f*** this guy and f*** this franchise for drafting him. What a f***ing joke.
C'mon. You weren't there. None of us really knows what happened or what's happened since. He was 14. I'm not excusing anything because I don't know shit. The fact that he got drafted today tells me that he must have come a long way since this incident. I don't think he should pay for the rest of his life for something he did as a 14 year old. That's insane. None of you feel that way either.

I don't have a problem with Mitchell Miller. In fact, I assume he's turned it all around and I think that's a great thing. I'm not made he was drafted. I'm glad he got an opportunity to turn the page and do better.

It's just that the COYOTES given the context of their own bullshit, should not have been the team to do this. St Louis? Tampa? Boston or Chicago? Sure, thing. Arizona? Hell no.

I'm saying AZ should not have drafted Miller because of AZ's bullshit more than Miller's bullshit.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I don't care about the kid or his hockey talent. I find the lack of judgement drafting him appalling. What's next, rapists? Aren't they capable of seeing that this is just not ok? Why would they want a guy like that in the Coyotes locker room? Why would they want a guy like that on the ice cheered by thousands of fans? Do they want to sell a feel good story about the reformed character?

There are some actions that simply cannot be swept away and pretend they do not exist. If this guy makes it to the NHL are you ok with him in a Coyotes sweater? Would you be a proud supporter? Role model for your kids?
The internet has poisoned everyone's mind. Of course I'd support him as a role model for my kids if he's truly turned his life around ends up a good man who used to be a troubled kid. Who wouldn't?

I'm honestly surprised a bunch of grown men are holding the actions of a 14 year old to this kind of standard.

I support second chances for adults. For children, I demand them.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
As somebody who currently works in the Disability Care sector, f*** this guy and f*** this franchise for drafting him. What a f***ing joke.
Years ago when I was owner operator of a number of Subway stores, I hired a young man who was disabled. I was worried he would not be able to handle the physical part of the job because he could hardly walk, but I liked the kid, he was smart, had a good personality, so I hired him and he soon became a manager. After about a month there started to be cash shortages, food shortages etc. This disabled kid was robbing me blind and did a fine job of hiding it. Disabled people can be just as cruel and crafty as the rest of us, and there is always two sides to every story.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Two of my favorite podcasts are Spittin' Chiclets and The Doughboys. I love both. I came to Doughboys very late. And I decided since it's fairly evergreen, to go ahead and listen from the beginning and try to get caught up. At this point, I'd already been listening to Spittin' Chiclets for a couple of years.

I like Ryan Whitney. He seems like he cares about his family and friends. He seems like a committed father. He seems to stick up for the right people and he's made many comments over the years that make me believe he's actually kind and generous despite his schtick.

I also like Doughboys co-host Mike Mitchell. He's a really sensitive, nice guy from what I can tell. Hilarious man, great podcast, supremely likable guy.

So you can imagine my shock when after referencing the terrible bullying he suffered in high school several times, and some of the awful things that were done to him, he casually named his worst bully; Ryan Whitney. He's mentioned several times over the years. How awful Whitney and his friends were. Mentioned that despite all that, he went to the NHL and was a millionaire.

It's tough to hear. But I'm sure if they met today, the two men would get along just fine. In fact, I wish they would meet. I'm sure it would be good for Mitchell to face the demon Whitney and realize that it's over with.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The internet has poisoned everyone's mind. Of course I'd support him as a role model for my kids if he's truly turned his life around ends up a good man who used to be a troubled kid. Who wouldn't?

I'm honestly surprised a bunch of grown men are holding the actions of a 14 year old to this kind of standard.

I support second chances for adults. For children, I demand them.

Usually the prospect doesn't duck the incident when teams bring it up and their atonement is a lot more visible.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Years ago when I was owner operator of a number of Subway stores, I hired a young man who was disabled. I was worried he would not be able to handle the physical part of the job because he could hardly walk, but I liked the kid, he was smart, had a good personality, so I hired him and he soon became a manager. After about a month there started to be cash shortages, food shortages etc. This disabled kid was robbing me blind and did a fine job of hiding it. Disabled people can be just as cruel and crafty as the rest of us, and there is always two sides to every story.

Are you insinuating that the student in this story could have been doing something evil or wrong toward Mitchell Miller and his friend? And the friend had a heart-felt apology and the judge/family were on record talking about how uncomfortable they still are with the way Miller reacted, could be an inaccurate representation of the events that actually occurred?

Or was this just your way of you telling everyone that you were an owner operator at a few fast-food restaurants?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Usually the prospect doesn't duck the incident when teams bring it up and their atonement is a lot more visible.
I disagree with that standard. He's still a kid. His having done this awful thing as a 14 year old does not necessitate that he carry it with him forever, and continue to acknowledge it and try to teach other and be an anti-bullying champion. This story should not have to define him. It's the kind of thing that would continue to come up every single time until something more interesting about him supplanted the story. Until then, it would continue to follow him around as his own personal headline. I don't think that's right for a kid his age.

If he did something awful at 24 and wanted redemption at 27 and wanted to live a public life after that, I think it's fair that he should have to accept the burden of owning his actions and working to redeem them on a regular basis. That's a fair thing for an adult. It's not right for a kid. I don't agree at all with the idea that he needs to "own" this publicly and in perpetuity. That's not right at all. He's a teenage boy who lives with his parents. They're protecting him in the way they think is best. If you had a 14 year old who f***ed up really bad but turned the page, you absolutely would do what you need to do to prevent him from having to face the past ad nauseum.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I disagree with that standard. He's still a kid. His having done this awful thing as a 14 year old does not necessitate that he carry it with him forever, and continue to acknowledge it and try to teach other and be an anti-bullying champion. This story should not have to define him. It's the kind of thing that would continue to come up every single time until something more interesting about him supplanted the story. Until then, it would continue to follow him around as his own personal headline. I don't think that's right for a kid his age.

If I asked about it and he declined to answer, I'd end the interview there and he goes on my DND. It's not complicated.

If you had a 14 year old who f***ed up really bad but turned the page, you absolutely would do what you need to do to prevent him from having to face the past ad nauseum.

I'd be doing him a major disservice if I allowed him to continually duck it and not own it, especially when a future employer is looking at having him in a public facing role, around other teammates etc... Not to mention the Coyotes are in the middle of trying to improve their 'culture' and also involved in diversity initiatives.

I'm not passing final judgment until the team comments on his selection.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If I asked about it and he declined to answer, I'd end the interview there and he goes on my DND. It's not complicated.

I'd be doing him a major disservice if I allowed him to continually duck it and not own it, especially when a future employer is looking at having him in a public facing role, around other teammates etc... Not to mention the Coyotes are in the middle of trying to improve their 'culture' and also involved in diversity initiatives.

I'm not passing final judgment until the team comments on his selection.
I didn't think you meant NHL teams. I thought you meant media.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Are you insinuating that the student in this story could have been doing something evil or wrong toward Mitchell Miller and his friend? And the friend had a heart-felt apology and the judge/family were on record talking about how uncomfortable they still are with the way Miller reacted, could be an inaccurate representation of the events that actually occurred?

Or was this just your way of you telling everyone that you were an owner operator at a few fast-food restaurants?
I'm sure the disability part of it was the focal point of the episode. I wasn't there, and either were you, so to jump off the bridge and blaming the Yotes for taking him because of this incident years ago without knowing ALL the circumstances is foolish.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I didn't think you meant NHL teams. I thought you meant media.

He is ducking it privately, when pressed. That's instant DND for me.

No, the incident doesn't define his life. How he responds to do it does in part define his NHL future. I am not convinced from what I am reading.

I am hoping the team got through to him privately, or has some connection to him we don't know about. They have to comment. Someone has to ask. It's on a tee for anyone that wants to appear like a journalist.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

If he did something awful at 24 and wanted redemption at 27 and wanted to live a public life after that, I think it's fair that he should have to accept the burden of owning his actions and working to redeem them on a regular basis. That's a fair thing for an adult. It's not right for a kid. I don't agree at all with the idea that he needs to "own" this publicly and in perpetuity. That's not right at all. He's a teenage boy who lives with his parents. They're protecting him in the way they think is best. If you had a 14 year old who f***ed up really bad but turned the page, you absolutely would do what you need to do to prevent him from having to face the past ad nauseum.
Could not have said it better. Good post.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

He is ducking it privately, when pressed. That's instant DND for me.

No, the incident doesn't define his life. How he responds to do it does in part define his NHL future. I am not convinced from what I am reading.

I am hoping the team got through to him privately, or has some connection to him we don't know about. They have to comment. Someone has to ask. It's on a tee for anyone that wants to appear like a journalist.

Will Wright should absolutely 100% be "rebuked" (his word). No chance this kid should have to talk to this dork about it.

As for the teams, it's tough to know what they mean. I would say each team should get to have one conversation about it. Not the regional scout, then some other regional scout, then later a director or scouting or AGM, and then again during the panel Zoom interview, etc, etc on and on.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Will Wright should absolutely 100% be "rebuked" (his word). No chance this kid should have to talk to this dork about it.

The report is from Elite Prospects Rinkside.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He should never have to discuss this with Elite Prospects Rinkside.

The report says he declined to be 'forthright' with teams about it. It comes from an article where they talk to numerous execs around the league. Basically the most damning thing possible without someone going on record to say "f*** that kid".

Reactions: Fuhrious

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The report says he declined to be 'forthright' with teams about it. It comes from an article where they talk to numerous execs around the league. Basically the most damning thing possible without someone going on record to say "f*** that kid".
It’s the “with team” part I take issue with. I think context is crucial there. Like I said, teams should get one chance to talk about it with him. If I’m his parent, I let them know as much. Hey, we can cover that at another time. You will definitely get a chance to cover this with him, but we can’t have him dealing with this every time a scout wants a word with him.

It’s reasonable and most of these scouts have kids. There will be a few teams put off by it and might talk shit anonymously about it. That’s fine. At least one team was okay with it. And that’s all that matters.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Eh, Miller doesn't owe me anything. He doesn't need to publicly apologize, weep, or make nice. He could be a perfectly standup guy now.

I just don't owe him anything either. The team certainly doesn't owe him a career. It would have been DND for me.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't care what order it unfolded in, so long as it was addressed meaningfully and the team was comfortable with the answer.

Romero or Morgan needs to ask about it and get an answer.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
I'm sure the disability part of it was the focal point of the episode. I wasn't there, and either were you, so to jump off the bridge and blaming the Yotes for taking him because of this incident years ago without knowing ALL the circumstances is foolish.

Ok, so let's say he has felt remorse and privately stated so and not wanted to make public statements about it. Or maybe there was more to the story that is not public... I'm willing to give him benefit of the doubt, I stated that earlier today.

But, to your point of neither of us being there, that's when we have to rely on the public information that says he bullied a child since second grade, made him lick a lollipop after wiping it in the toilet, physically abused the child, and showed no remorse at the time of court appearance.

I get he is a child and I surely hope no one is jumping off a bridge over this, but I'd rather be the "fool" that simply takes a chance on any other fourth round selection than the "fool" that is already a gongshow and selects somebody with a track record of being un-kind towards others that are different than him.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
But I'm sure our organization who has such a strong track record of drafting and developing, especially players with red flags, with a rag-tag team of scouts and no GM or AGM in the room really hit a home-run with this pick.

Reactions: Fuhrious
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad