Prospect Info: 2020 Draft #111 - Mitchell Miller (RHD) [Mod Warning post #312]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Wonder if GM Armstrong had him on his DND list?

I'm wondering that myself. Also wondering if it was Armstrong that bucked XG and ownership and demanded the renunciation. Gutierrez' comments before and after are 100% predictable - that's his job, to spin-doctor everything for the front office.

I want to give Armstrong the benefit of the doubt because renouncing a bad pick seems to align with the philosophy he had when he came in.

Reactions: Alberta Yote

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Also - don't get this twisted. f*** Mitch Miller. I really don't care. He shouldn't have tortured a kid. Sometimes pay back is a bitch. I'm happy for JMC right now, honestly. She stood up and shot her shot. She had a chance to get some retribution for her son and she f***ing dunked on Miller. Good for her.

My outrage isn't about Miller. It's about this quote:

"Our fundamental mission is to ensure a safe environment -- whether in schools, in our community, in hockey rinks, or in the workplace -- to be free of bullying and racism. When we first learned of Mitchell's story, it would have been easy for us to dismiss him -- many teams did. Instead, we felt it was our responsibility to be a part of the solution in a real way -- not just saying and doing the right things ourselves but ensuring that others are too.

"Given our priorities on diversity and inclusion, we believe that we are in the best position to guide Mitchell into becoming a leader for this cause and preventing bullying and racism now and in the future. As an organization, we have made our expectations very clear to him. We are willing to work with Mitchell and put in the time, effort, and energy and provide him with the necessary resources and platform to confront bullying and racism. This isn't a story about excuses or justifications. It's a story about reflection, growth, and community impact. A true leader finds ways for every person to contribute to the solution. We all need to be a part of the solution."

---

Gutless f***ing pukes at the top. Gutless.
Completely agree. First off, life decisions have consequences at all ages....Miller will have a very tough road wherever his career takes him.

And on the Coyote front, it's a spineless move....caving to social media. If they were blindsided by JMC's letter, shame on them for not doing their research. XC stating "we are willing to work with Mitchell and put time, effort and energy and provide with necessary resources and platform to confront bullying and racism." That's now proven to be a lie. And save the excuses over organizational changes, many teams go through changes and these type of mistakes are not made.

They made a huge mistake by drafting him and now followed up with further bungling the organization has become famous for...no matter who's in charge.

Reactions: Summer Rose

British yote

May 16, 2014
England
I’m totally okay with this. Was not okay with them picking him and saving they will put work in to someone who does not deserve it.

going back on your word is a gutless most of the time. However this time it was right to admit you were wrong and do the right thing.

so much for checking up on him and the situation before the draft though. That was clearly BS

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Yes gutless. Also ignorant and incredibly stupid.

But they needed to do this. No choice. They put themselves in a no win situation by being a big pack of dummies. Not only by making the pick but then by compounding the problem by defending it.

I have little hope things are going to get better any time soon.

Go Pizza Macelli.
Explain XG quotes. How do you go from saying you’re willing to stand in and take the heat, fight the hard fight, and put in the work to be the change you seek to see in society only to reverse course 180 degrees in three days because people were mad at you on Twitter?

You can say they had to renounce the pick. Okay. I’ll buy that.

What I want answers for is why XG pretended that they sought this pick out as a way to make the world a better place and felt they were uniquely positioned to take on this project and help society with it. Why? Why put together that inspiration bit of poetry that he released three days ago?

That’s what sickens me. More than the pick. More than renouncing the pick.

It’s the DEFENDING the pick and THEN renouncing the pick that has me livid.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I’m totally okay with this. Was not okay with them picking him and saving they will put work in to someone who does not deserve it.

going back on your word is a gutless most of the time. However this time it was right to admit you were wrong and do the right thing.

so much for checking up on him and the situation before the draft though. That was clearly BS
If XG and BA released statements on Monday blaming the transition and renounced the pick at that time, then fine.

My problem is much less to do with the pick and much less to do with renouncing the pick. It’s what the team said and did between the selection and the renouncing of the selection. That’s where I have a huge problem.

The conduct of XG and BA on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week is my major issue.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
And I hope an organization with some balls picks him up, he walks the line and has incredible success.

If he produces at UND, he'll get signed somewhere. That's how the hockey world - indeed, most of professional sports - works.

And on the Coyote front, it's a spineless move....caving to social media.

Well, there are 14 pages' worth of people saying that "nobody knows the whole story" and "people are jumping to conclusions" - so why would that change now because the outcome is different?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Also - don't get this twisted. f*** Mitch Miller. I really don't care. He shouldn't have tortured a kid. Sometimes pay back is a bitch. I'm happy for JMC right now, honestly. She stood up and shot her shot. She had a chance to get some retribution for her son and she f***ing dunked on Miller. Good for her.

My outrage isn't about Miller. It's about this quote:

"Our fundamental mission is to ensure a safe environment -- whether in schools, in our community, in hockey rinks, or in the workplace -- to be free of bullying and racism. When we first learned of Mitchell's story, it would have been easy for us to dismiss him -- many teams did. Instead, we felt it was our responsibility to be a part of the solution in a real way -- not just saying and doing the right things ourselves but ensuring that others are too.

"Given our priorities on diversity and inclusion, we believe that we are in the best position to guide Mitchell into becoming a leader for this cause and preventing bullying and racism now and in the future. As an organization, we have made our expectations very clear to him. We are willing to work with Mitchell and put in the time, effort, and energy and provide him with the necessary resources and platform to confront bullying and racism. This isn't a story about excuses or justifications. It's a story about reflection, growth, and community impact. A true leader finds ways for every person to contribute to the solution. We all need to be a part of the solution."

---

Gutless f***ing pukes at the top. Gutless.

I would think it's a hollow victory for her and has done absolutely no good. The bullying happened and that can't be changed.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I hâte this decision by the Yotes. Fact of the matter is the Coyotes believed that they all of the off ice issues were behind him and could help this kid become a better person.

I was familiar with Miller’s off ice actions going into the draft, and wouldn’t have drafted him myself, however when i saw Arizona select him, I understood it completely.

Without their first 3 picks in the draft, they had to get the most talented player available on the board. That was Miller, he’s a late first/ early second round talent but because of what he did when he was 14 he dropped in the draft.

It’s unfortunate that the Coyotes caved to the pressure from Cancel Culture and renounced his rights because i believe Miller can change for the better, and that’s what the Yotes were hoping to do with this selection.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What I want answers for is why XG pretended that they sought this pick out as a way to make the world a better place and felt they were uniquely positioned to take on this project and help society with it. Why? Why put together that inspiration bit of poetry that he released three days ago?

Because Gutierrez is a business executive in a position where he is the Designated Spin Doctor for the owner. It's that simple. His job is to be out front and justify every action by the franchise. He's the Kayleigh McEnany of the Coyotes.

I'm not surprised one bit by the abrupt reversal or the absolute cognitive dissonance required to reconcile the two statements separated by a matter of hours. I actually appreciate it a bit, because it is very revealing about how the whole process played out from the start. It tells me that the scouting staff that remained from the "bloodletting" hadn't done their due diligence on Miller, outside of hearsay about the incident and assumptions about his development since. It also tells me that Bill Armstrong was a man of his word about staying completely uninvolved with the draft, because he clearly was not happy about it based on his statements to date. And it tells me that Gutierrez is not to be trusted any more than Anthony LeBlanc was for IceArizona.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
It's not cancel culture. For the first time that piece of shit got even remotely what he deserved. Hope he burns in hell for the rest of his life.
I hope he dedicates much of the rest of his life to talking about and promoting anti-bullying. He sure has a great example of what can come of it with the affect it had on the victim and the fact it cost him any chance at a pro hockey career.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I would think it's a hollow victory for her and has done absolutely no good. The bullying happened and that can't be changed.
I don’t feel sorry for Mitch Miller. If he’s truly cleaned up his act, all he has to do is keep it clean and he’ll be alright. I hope he does. I hope we see a true redemption story and he can do great things in his life that mitigate the negative he’s brought into the lives of others previously. We should all want that. But I don’t feel bad that his draft rights were renounced.

Further, I hope this helps bring some closure to the MC family. They stood up, took the spotlight, shown in brightly on the monster that was still haunting them, and they got what they wanted. Miller’s big moment was spoiled and he’s left with nothing but to start over. It doesn’t erase the hurt. But I hope it helps them feel better today.

I’m happy for the MC family today. I’m not sad for Mitch Miller.

What I’m really focused on is the Coyotes. Who I have never respected less than I do right now. I’m absolutely outraged by their conduct over the last few days. I find it appallingly weak and cowardly. I’m literally shocked by how much they exposed themselves as pure and simple charlatans.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
What I’m really focused on is the Coyotes. Who I have never respected less than I do right now. I’m absolutely outraged by their conduct over the last few days. I find it appallingly weak and cowardly. I’m literally shocked by how much they exposed themselves as pure and simple charlatans.
I am never shocked by what companies or corporations do or try to hide, as a minor player I participated in some decisions that were proven to be awful.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Everyone can just stop with the "cancel culture" BS. What we have here is "screwup culture" from the Coyotes. If you want to lob "cancel culture" attacks at someone, why not do it at the teams who had him on their DND lists?

Mitchell Miller has two choices. Either he goes out and proves he's changed and, assuming he maintains his level of play, gets signed by someone, or he doesn't make any changes and becomes a bitter and angry guy... and maybe still gets signed by someone if his play is good enough.

I am absolutely thrilled that we don't have to be the ones to wait and see which lane he picks.

The thing I'd like to know (and probably won't ever find out) is whether Bill Armstrong sacked up and showed that iron backbone he professes to have and made the call for the team. I hope that's the case. The statements that Gutierrez and Miller sent out - with the same verbiage and everything! - were the worst kind of ex post facto justification for a bad decision. If Armstrong had the guts to take the heat and renounce the pick, then I still have a tiny sliver of hope for the franchise going forward.

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
You can hate the decision, but this was always the RIGHT decision. The WRONG decision was doubling down on the pick as recently a few days ago. XG coming out and saying they’ll work with him and doing damage control upon damage control, just go backtrack completely when they backlash became to hard to bear.

The RIGHT decision would’ve been to not pick him the first place if you apparently had enough data going into the draft to know he was previously on your DND list. The RIGHT decision would’ve been to at least do your due diligence if you were dead set on picking him.

So many right decisions, and even when this franchise makes one, they’re still f***ing up

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I don’t feel sorry for Mitch Miller. If he’s truly cleaned up his act, all he has to do is keep it clean and he’ll be alright. I hope he does. I hope we see a true redemption story and he can do great things in his life that mitigate the negative he’s brought into the lives of others previously. We should all want that. But I don’t feel bad that his draft rights were renounced.

Further, I hope this helps bring some closure to the MC family. They stood up, took the spotlight, shown in brightly on the monster that was still haunting them, and they got what they wanted. Miller’s big moment was spoiled and he’s left with nothing but to start over. It doesn’t erase the hurt. But I hope it helps them feel better today.

I’m happy for the MC family today. I’m not sad for Mitch Miller.

I completely agree with your take on the organization.

As for Miller and the MC family? Two wrongs don't make a right. So the mom bullies the organization into renouncing the pick - wonderful, but her kid was still bullied and like you stated they just might "feel better TODAY", but it won't last.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Xavier Gutierrez on Monday, October 26th, 2020:
"When we first learned of Mitchell's story, it would have been easy for us to dismiss him -- many teams did. Instead, we felt it was our responsibility to be a part of the solution in a real way -- not just saying and doing the right things ourselves but ensuring that others are too.

Given our priorities on diversity and inclusion, we believe that we are in the best position to guide Mitchell into becoming a leader for this cause and preventing bullying and racism now and in the future. As an organization, we have made our expectations very clear to him. We are willing to work with Mitchell and put in the time, effort, and energy and provide him with the necessary resources and platform to confront bullying and racism. This isn't a story about excuses or justifications. It's a story about reflection, growth, and community impact. A true leader finds ways for every person to contribute to the solution. We all need to be a part of the solution."

Xavier Gutierrez on Thursday, October 29, 2020:
"We have decided to renounce the rights to Mitchell Miller, effective immediately."

Reactions: AZviaNJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad