Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Conference Finals Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm probably in the minority amongst many Devils fans, but I would be very happy if we drafted Quinn at #7. I personally have Quinn ranked at #5, so to me, taking Quinn at #7 would be a great pick.

Same here if neither of the D are available. For whatever reason, I'm REALLY high on Quinn and Amirov this draft.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Would people be very upset if the devils took Quinn at #7?

Upset is just kind of a strong word to use. I mean, he's nowhere close to the best player available for me at that point, but would i be "upset"? Probably not. I would disagree with the pick in the immediacy of the draft, and then root like hell for the kid.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Same here if neither of the D are available. For whatever reason, I'm REALLY high on Quinn and Amirov this draft.
For me personally, I would consider Quinn even if the two defenseman are available. He is that good in my opinion. Whether I would pick Quinn ahead of them remains to be seen even though I have him ranked higher, as I kind of have all of them in the same tier (Quinn-5, Sanderson and Drysdale are 6-7 and too close to call for me right now), that is not a decision I would want to have to make. I'm always a proponent of picking the best player available, but when it is this close, its really difficult.

I really like Amirov as well, and I also love Noel Gunler, who I have ranked higher than most.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
My like for you was 6666.

i cant more be agree with you as i agree now. He may not be the best hockey player available, but maybe our team needs him the most.

Actually, I think our team needed Sanderson the most... like 3 years ago. Quinn is right up there too though.

Reactions: Guadana

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This was posted on the prospect board a little earlier in the day.

Obviously this could be completely wrong but this a scenario I wouldn't mind given that I don't love Perrault's game and he'd probably be considered a slight reach at 17, giving a greater chance of one of the better forwards slipping down to our spot like Seth Jarvis

I'm going to need to correct something about the poster you are quoting, because it's necessary. If I was ranking the skating of consensus top RWs Holtz, Quinn, Jarvis, Mercer, Perreault and Gunler -- well, Perreault is the fastest skater out of all of those players. I don't know who had a problem with Perreault's skating, but the kid is an elite skater, so maybe they're thinking of someone else?

Quite simply, Jacob Perreault is the most physically gifted RW in the 2020 draft. Even if you considered Lucas Raymond a RW (which some do), Perreault would still be the highest upside RW in the draft. The question with Perreault is not physical ability, it's all less tangible. You worry that he's going to show up for camp in share, then you worry that he's going to give consistent effort, then you worry that he's going to give that effort for all 200 feet of the ice.

But Perreault at #17 cannot be considered a reach, because if this kid puts it all together, then look out. He's just ridiculously talented.

I agree that I would not draft Perreault over a surer bet like Mercer or a similarly talented but high-motor kid like Jarvis. I also agree that if Chicago took Perreault at #17 and it pushed a Mercer or Jarvis to the Devils, that would be great news. But if that's not the case, Perreault would be an outstanding pick for the Devils at #18 or #20.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
What are some people thoughts on the draft objectives that the Devils need to fulfil at the upcomimg draft. Obviously with our three first rounders you take best player available, but if you were drafting for team needs, what type of player do you think Devils need to hit on.

My thoughts are that these should be the priorities;
1a. Right defenseman - Replacement for Subban who is a free agent in two years. Jamie Drysdale is perfect candidate at pick 7. Braden Schneider at pick 18 or 20.

1b. Left defenseman - We have a hole at left defenseman in the lineup with Greene leaving and Butcher a free agent in two seasons. Ty Smith should be a long term option, but if you want to play him on the right then maybe the drafting focus is considering Jake Sanderson over Jamie Drysdale at pick 7. Kaiden Guhle to be in consideration at pick 18 or 20.

2. Pure scorer - This can be any position. Rossi, Perfetti and Raymond would be pick 7 candidates. Jarvis, Mercer, Amirov are candidates at pick 18.

3. Goalscoring winger - Replacement for Palmieri who is a free agent in one year. Not saying that we shouldn't resign Palms, but we should use this draft to plan for the worse. Quinn and Holtz would be pick 7 candidates. Gunler, Perreault are candidates at pick 20.

4. Goaltender - Need to pick up a goaltender. I dont consider Senn a good goaltending prospect so we need to improve the depth in this position. I'll be using the third round pick to select a goaltender.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Would people be very upset if the devils took Quinn at #7?

People care too much about the consensus, so yes people would be upset. Remember what happened when Detroit took Seider at #6 last year. It was a great pick, but people who had never watched Seider were acting like Detroit just jumped off the roof-top. Then, two picks later Edmonton made an awful pick of Philip Broberg at #8 and the same fools who freaked out about Seider acted like it was a great pick for the Oilers.

One year later, 31 out of 31 GMs take Seider over Broberg.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves steven- if you could put a % on it, what percentage would you give the scenario where seth jarvis is available at 18? feels like it's dwindling as each day goes. trying not to set myself up for disappointment but I love this guy.

Haha, don't bet on my odds.

I don't know, 10%? To me, there's almost no difference in talent between Raymond and Jarvis, two very similar players, and people are ranking Raymond in their top 5. Raymond gets an edge in skating and passing, Jarvis gets the edge in goal-scoring and compete level. Aside from that, I have the two ranked nearly identically across the board. Right now I still have Raymond slightly ahead of Jarvis, but my point is that several teams are likely to agree with me on Jarvis and have him ranked in the top 10. A lot would need to happen for Jarvis to fall to #18.

Last edited:
Reactions: youryeah

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
People care too much about the consensus, so yes people would be upset. Remember what happened when Detroit took Seider at #6 last year. It was a great pick, but people who had never watched Seider were acting like Detroit just jumped off the roof-top. Then, two picks later Edmonton made an awful pick of Philip Broberg at #8 and the same fools who freaked out about Seider acted like it was a great pick for the Oilers.

One year later, 31 out of 31 GMs take Seider over Broberg.

I think if there's one year where no one can be upset, it's this year...but you know there will always be someone lol.

I think the only year I was legitimately upset (since i started following the draft carefully at least) was 2016: Michael Mcleod. just an awful pick....

Oh wait there was another year that I was upset, but not because of the pick, different reason :P

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
This was posted on the prospect board a little earlier in the day.

Obviously this could be completely wrong but this a scenario I wouldn't mind given that I don't love Perrault's game and he'd probably be considered a slight reach at 17, giving a greater chance of one of the better forwards slipping down to our spot like Seth Jarvis
I would be pretty hurt if we lost out on Perreault by 1 pick lol. I've hitched my wagons to him and I want him in a Devils sweater as bad as anyone in this draft.

BxDevilsFan

Aug 15, 2020
Bronx
I'm probably in the minority amongst many Devils fans, but I would be very happy if we drafted Quinn at #7. I personally have Quinn ranked at #5, so to me, taking Quinn at #7 would be a great pick.
You got me thinking. I could see the Devils surprise people by taking Quinn at 7. I honestly don't know how I'd feel about that. Love Quinn but passing on Rossi, Raymond, Holtz would sting.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I would be pretty hurt if we lost out on Perreault by 1 pick lol. I've hitched my wagons to him and I want him in a Devils sweater as bad as anyone in this draft.

I've tried to explain Perreault as adequately as any draft analyst around. His critics are sorely understating his upside. People are questioning his skating now? He might be the best skater in the entire OHL. It's absurd.

Conversely, his fans (which I am clearly among) can be guilty of understating his risk. There are several habits Perreault must mature through in order to reach his enormous potential, and this is not a kid who can coast his way to a third-line role if he does not put the work in.

The same can be said for another prospect I have touted and stood behind in Noel Gunler, but Perreault's upside is even higher. I would say that -- in terms of sheer upside -- Perreault is #2 in the 2020 draft among wingers (so we're not counting Byfield and Stutzle) after Alex Lafreniere. In terms of sheer talent? Yes, I would put Perreault ahead of Holtz, Quinn, Perfetti and Raymond. But those other four guys all show up to training camp in shape and hustle their brains out all over the ice.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I've tried to explain Perreault as adequately as any draft analyst around. His critics are sorely understating his upside. People are questioning his skating now? He might be the best skater in the entire OHL. It's absurd.

Conversely, his fans (which I am clearly among) can be guilty of understating his risk. There are several habits Perreault must mature through in order to reach his enormous potential, and this is not a kid who can coast his way to a third-line role if he does not put the work in.

The same can be said for another prospect I have touted and stood behind in Noel Gunler, but Perreault's upside is even higher. I would say that -- in terms of sheer upside -- Perreault is #2 in the 2020 draft among wingers (so we're not counting Byfield and Stutzle) after Alex Lafreniere. In terms of sheer talent? Yes, I would put Perreault ahead of Holtz, Quinn, Perfetti and Raymond. But those other four guys all show up to training camp in shape and hustle their brains out all over the ice.

Best player on my oldest son's high school team had all the talent in the world. Not too tall but strong as an ox, incredibly balanced and graceful, and I never saw another player do things he couldn't, even on the travel club circuit. Definitely college level talent. His dirty secret, which wasn't secret if you knew his parents, was that they were forcing him to play and he disliked competing even if it was easy for him. To this day I'm not sure why he disliked it although he was always an iconoclast and did not want to do things if he saw them as popular. It was important to him to be ahead of the curve and grab the cool trend before the masses know it's cool.

My point is that for a number of these kids that have all world talent and questions about desire, work ethic, or attitude it's incumbent on the team to get to the prospect's background. If he loves it and is humble and willing to work to improve you can chalk up issues to being a teenager. Look at Barzal. Apparently he turned some teams off by being cocky at his interviews. In retrospect he was just a kid and despite being cocky he put in the time and effort to round out his game and look at him now. Whatever his personality might be, he clearly loves hockey and is willing to do what he has to in order to be successful. If a team can learn that about a prospect they are well suited to draft or pass on this sort of player. The scary thing is sometimes it can be a personal relationship that makes it work, at which point an organization dismissing the person with the relationship can set the player back. Granted you see that more in football than hockey.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
You got me thinking. I could see the Devils surprise people by taking Quinn at 7. I honestly don't know how I'd feel about that. Love Quinn but passing on Rossi, Raymond, Holtz would sting.
If we wanted to do this, I'd at least hope we'd try to trade down a couple spots and pick up a 2nd rounder.

Reactions: Forge

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Best player on my oldest son's high school team had all the talent in the world. Not too tall but strong as an ox, incredibly balanced and graceful, and I never saw another player do things he couldn't, even on the travel club circuit. Definitely college level talent. His dirty secret, which wasn't secret if you knew his parents, was that they were forcing him to play and he disliked competing even if it was easy for him. To this day I'm not sure why he disliked it although he was always an iconoclast and did not want to do things if he saw them as popular. It was important to him to be ahead of the curve and grab the cool trend before the masses know it's cool.

My point is that for a number of these kids that have all world talent and questions about desire, work ethic, or attitude it's incumbent on the team to get to the prospect's background. If he loves it and is humble and willing to work to improve you can chalk up issues to being a teenager. Look at Barzal. Apparently he turned some teams off by being cocky at his interviews. In retrospect he was just a kid and despite being cocky he put in the time and effort to round out his game and look at him now. Whatever his personality might be, he clearly loves hockey and is willing to do what he has to in order to be successful. If a team can learn that about a prospect they are well suited to draft or pass on this sort of player. The scary thing is sometimes it can be a personal relationship that makes it work, at which point an organization dismissing the person with the relationship can set the player back. Granted you see that more in football than hockey.

was it alex daigle that had something similar to this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad