GDT: 2020-21 season game 17 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @5:00pm 2/22/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
When I was at the game against the Blues back in 2019 before Christmas Eve (had nosebleed center ice view), I saw Daryl Evans talking to a random fan near the entrance of the section where I was at. I really wanted to say "nice suit," to him, but I didn't have the heart to do it.
Any other captivating tales to share, ol chap?

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Best performance I can remember since the '18 season. Depleted Blues team for sure but the Kings looked great regardless.

Tough call on Bjornfot if they win every game he plays in. You'd like to slide that contract but they owe it to the team to show that they want to try to win. I still think they send him down though.

I might well be wrong on this, but I thought the 8-game limit applied to combined professional games (i.e. AHL + NHL) rather than NHL-only?

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
Any other captivating tales to share, ol chap?

Sadly not. At that point, that was the 2nd time in like 8 years I went to Staples Center for a Kings game (mainly, due to I just didn't have the money or the will to drive, I was just scared to drive to LA at night in that time period, to LA Live during the peak years). I wanted to go to more in 2020, but the obvious happened.....

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
How you like me now you little shit

tumblr_pemysgGl5R1u4l5dt_400.gifv

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I might well be wrong on this, but I thought the 8-game limit applied to combined professional games (i.e. AHL + NHL) rather than NHL-only?

An entry-level slide only occurs for players under 20 years old who play fewer than eight games in the NHL this season. Once a player turns 20, their entry-level contract kicks in. That's why, for instance, Kale Clague is an RFA after this season, and why Turcotte's deal will still have three years remaining next season.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Brown is tied with Draisaitl in goals, in 3 games fewer. Whilst 28.6% is unsustainable as a shooting% I’m enjoying whilst it lasts. After lifting the cup twice the lack of respect some show him I find unacceptable.... fair criticism if fine, but the way it’s happened at times is not on.

Brownie is the heart and soul out there and if I’m Seattle I’d take him every time even as I can’t see us protecting him... it would be heart breaking. However if I’m Seattle the first thing I’d want to do is establish the right culture which is why I’ve consistently felt they take Brownie. The fact he’s putting the puck away is even more worrying from that perspective. A year of Brown is worth more than 10 years of anyone else we might lose IMO.

Inner Turbulence

Jun 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was subjected to the Blues broadcast tonight. A couple of fun facts that were repeated throughout the game. Did you know that Brayden Schenn was drafted by the Kings? That's some deep trivia. Also, that he's put up a good amount of points while playing against the Kings. Good for Schenn, but I trade him 101/100 times for Mike Richards in 2011. Panger...holy jumpin I can't take it.

They were A LOT easier on the ear than the Coyotes crew. Had to endure for two games of that over the weekend. It was truely horrible to listen to those guys.

Reactions: yankeeking

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Can we steal Gloria by Laura Branigan from these nerds or do we need our own song?

I just want the "Why isn't anybody CALLING" part at 3:10, don't really care about the rest of it. /s

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think Toby needs to be here for good. At some point talent outweighs the idea of wanting to save another year before RFA status.

Agreed.

The Kings have a chance to make the playoffs and need to ice the best possible roster. What is the other option, go back to MacD? The Kings are 5-0 with Toby in the lineup and 2-6-2 with MacD in the lineup. Doughty, Roy, Walker, Anderson and Bjornfot should all be automatically in the lineup.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Someone mentioned brownie and the PK earlier

Just do this for Kopitar now too!

Just need at least one other guy that can win a faceoff in the d-zone while on the PK. There was a time when Stoll and Richards split a lot of them with Kopitar. Stoll used to take more than Kopitar. Since those two faded away, they've ended up putting almost nobody but Kopitar out there, when they've had the choice.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Brown is tied with Draisaitl in goals, in 3 games fewer. Whilst 28.6% is unsustainable as a shooting% I’m enjoying whilst it lasts. After lifting the cup twice the lack of respect some show him I find unacceptable.... fair criticism if fine, but the way it’s happened at times is not on.

Brownie is the heart and soul out there and if I’m Seattle I’d take him every time even as I can’t see us protecting him... it would be heart breaking. However if I’m Seattle the first thing I’d want to do is establish the right culture which is why I’ve consistently felt they take Brownie. The fact he’s putting the puck away is even more worrying from that perspective. A year of Brown is worth more than 10 years of anyone else we might lose IMO.
A while ago I posted that the Kings should protect Brown at the expansion draft, and the response was something to the effect of, "The Kings would be idiots to protect Brown" and "We'd be so glad if Seattle took Brown." I still think the Kings will protect Brown. He should retire a King. He's earned it.

If the Kings lose a 3rd pairing D or a bottom six forward, so be it. That's the whole idea of the draft. Why gift a 1st line winger, a former captain, and a heart and soul player to a team in your division?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Interesting thought experiment, given the first two ugly losses with Min, and the loss to the Sharks. Aside from those stumbling blocks to start the season and the Roy/Walker exit, yeah, we can now look at a sort of 'pattern' over the last stretch. not to rationalize losses, but some perspective on 'why' with a 10 month layoff, new personnel, and injuries. Minus those bumps, this team basically picked up right where they left off.

Nowa re they as good as this streak and the one to end the season? Probably not. But what's really missing when they put it all together? Some nights, the goaltending will fail. The offense won't finish. But play more games like this than not and positive things will happen.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

It's an interesting thought experiment. If we go 7-3-1, we likely lose one of Walker, Strand, Clague, or Maatta. Is losing one of them a killer for us? I love what Walker brings on our third pair, but has Strand played any worse? And if Clague, to be completely honest, has Maatta been that bad on the third pair?

Kopitar
Kempe
Iafallo
Grundstrom
Andersson
Brown
Carter

Doughty
Roy
Walker/Clague

Petersen

I wonder if we expose Walker and run Clague/Strand next season. Interesting. Interesting...

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
It all starts with a puck retrieving and moving defense. If you can get out of your own zone and execute a clean breakout, your offense benefits. It's exactly what's not happening in Ontario with the defensemen there. Hopefully Clague's presence and Hults return helps.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Interesting thought experiment, given the first two ugly losses with Min, and the loss to the Sharks. Aside from those stumbling blocks to start the season and the Roy/Walker exit, yeah, we can now look at a sort of 'pattern' over the last stretch. not to rationalize losses, but some perspective on 'why' with a 10 month layoff, new personnel, and injuries. Minus those bumps, this team basically picked up right where they left off.

Nowa re they as good as this streak and the one to end the season? Probably not. But what's really missing when they put it all together? Some nights, the goaltending will fail. The offense won't finish. But play more games like this than not and positive things will happen.

Shouldn't we also get rid of Kings wins because of injuries to other teams if we're going to do this thought experiment?

Reactions: lumbergh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad