2020/21 Roster Thread XI: A Jambalaya of Suffering

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If Edmonton is going to go all in on Hamilton, they might as well trade Bouchard. Fun fact, Bouchard hasn't played in a month and a half, and he's been sitting in the press box the entire time... because Tippett...

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Players matter, did you see Allison around the net all night? Was that coached in him by AV, since it's hard to find another Flyer (other than a healthy Lindblom) who'll do that. TK at 190 lbs is more physical than Voracek at 220 lbs. Laczynski also is willing to grind. Maybe one thing this team needs is a few more guys like that (Wisdom, Foerster, Cates) - not a whole team, but enough that they set a tone.

Being physical isn't enough by itself, Bunnman is physical, NAK is physical, but you need some skill - which is why we have an AHL team, to give them a chance to work on their skills. Unfortunately, eye to hand coordination and reaction time are hard to coach, but give these kids a chance, then cycle in new kids when they fail.

The problem with Ghost is that he's going to be 28 with a $4.5M cap hit on a team with Sanheim, York, Zamula, etc.

It's a matter of balance, we've seen that Provorov is best with a veteran RHD, that can give you a shutdown pair. We've seen Sanheim - Myers struggle, but Sanheim - Ghost would be an awfully "soft" pair, the best outcome is Myers grows into the role, otherwise we need to find a long-term solution.
Ghost looks good as Morin's partner on the third pair, and if he's not chosen by Seattle, that's a solid pair - but where do you play York?

We need a couple big physical D-men, the game hasn't changed that much, go look at TB's defense, Cooper's a genius, I'm told, so why does he have all these big guys back there?

TB: Hedman (6'6 223), Serghachev (6'3 215), McDonagh (6'1 215), Savard (6'2 233), Cernak (6' 233)
CAR: Slavin (6'3 213), Pesce (6'4 201), Hamilton (6'6 227), Skjei (6'3 210)
Caps: Carlson (6'3 217), Schultz (6'2 193), Orlov (5'11 208), Dillon (6'4 225), Chara (6'9 250)
Toronto: Reilly (6'1 221), Brodie (6'1 185), Muzzin (6'3 213), Holl (6'4 205)
Col: Toews (6'1 191), Makar (5'11 187), Girard (5'10 170), Graves (6'5 220),
Vegas: Pietrangelo (6'3 210), Martinez (6'1 209), Theodore (6'2 195), McNabb (6'4 212), Whitecloud (6'2 209)

Only top team with a small defense is Colorado, and Maker and Girard can skate circles around Ghost, and they still have Graves in the top 4.

Last edited:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Where you getting this info from? I’m sure there are about 10/12 teams that will be “all out” for him.

It was a Sportsnet article, I think... can't find it at the moment. It popped up on my twitter timeline.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If you're Hamilton would you rather play for Tippett with McDavid and Draisaitl or play for AV with our aging core?
I would like Philly’s chances between those two. Hamilton seems like a low key guy who probably wouldn’t want to play under the microscope of a Canadian franchise again if he doesn’t have to. Unfortunately I think there would be other places in the states he would rather play than in Philly.

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If you're Hamilton would you rather play for Tippett with McDavid and Draisaitl or play for AV with our aging core?

If hes smart, he stays in Carolina. Keeps it relatively low key, still on a good team with a good coach. FO can be questionable at times, but the process is there to keep that team competitive for a while.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If hes smart, he stays in Carolina. Keeps it relatively low key, still on a good team with a good coach. FO can be questionable at times, but the process is there to keep that team competitive for a while.
It’s likely his last big contract. He should take whoever pays him the most as long as they are somewhat competitive.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It’s likely his last big contract. He should take whoever pays him the most as long as they are somewhat competitive.

Reasonably speaking, Carolina stands to be able to pay him the most over the life of the contract. Carolina's ability to offer the extra year for security should be what hes focused on. Hes going to get paid one way or another, and i cant imagine anyone offering enough additional money over a 7 year deal to outweigh the security of the 8th year salary.

Again, that all ignores hockey factors like if the team is competitive, etc. Obviously if Carolina iffers 8x8 and Boston offers 7x11, maybe its a different conversation, but I'd still think the extra year weighs more heavily than a total salary (assuming the total contract values are close-ish)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Are people suggesting we trade G and Couts? I guess so, but don’t really want to read that other thread. I would trade Voracek personally. From an asset management standpoint. It’s clear we aren’t winning a cup soon. With the flat cap, if you have that kind of money to spend you could get several good pieces like Florida did or the big fish in Hamilton.

Reactions: Striiker

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Are people suggesting we trade G and Couts? I guess so, but don’t really want to read that other thread. I would trade Voracek personally. From an asset management standpoint. It’s clear we aren’t winning a cup soon. With the flat cap, if you have that kind of money to spend you could get several good pieces like Florida did or the big fish in Hamilton.
Ideally we trade Voracek for picks and prospects and then package those in a trade for a top pair defenseman. Or use the cap space and sign Hamilton for all I care.

Reactions: TheKingPin

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
For example, if Ghost was a solid top four defenseman, he'd been claimed on waivers - Tanev got 4yr/$18M, Ghost only has 2yr/$9M at 28-29 after this season. If he's a legitimate top four D-man, he's a bargain (short term). The reality is he may be a top four for a few teams where he can be sheltered and they use his PP skills, but that's a small number. Nobody wanted his two out years, including teams that made TDL deals.

In the same way, does anyone think Provorov could hit waivers and not get claimed?

As far as Provorov - Sanheim, apples and oranges. Provorov has had an off season (suspect an unreported injury) yet he's a much better defender than Sanheim. Sanheim has more raw skill than Provorov, but he has yet to show he can close the deal, where is the Carlsson like scoring? Skating end to end only to make a lame pass after skating behind the opposing net isn't playmaking. He's not as good as a dozen other young mobile D-men who actually make goals happen.

I seriously wonder if Provorov would’ve gotten claimed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Voracek and JVR are blocking the young forwards, but just as important, if you move G back with Couts where he belongs, they make it hard to put 2nd and 3rd lines together. While I'm not sure Laczynski is more than a 4C right now, just off one game and his short AHL performance, they really need to get Allison in the top 9 with a center who can feed him the puck.

Ideally, Patrick takes another step next year, Frost has a breakout year, and you move Hayes to wing where I think he'll be a better player, less skating, not the primary puck handler and his shooting has more value.

G - Couts - TK
Lindblom - Patrick - Hayes
Farabee - Frost - Allison
Laughton - Laczynski - NAK

or

G - Couts - TK
Lindblom - Hayes - Farabee
Laughton - Frost - Allison
Cates - Laczynski - Patrick

Have Brink and JOB decided to stay in college next year?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Frost and Allison could be an interesting combination. The small playmaker at center and the power forward on the wing. Sort of like the 3rd line version of Giroux/Hartnell.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

No, if he's smart, he goes where he thinks he'll be happy living and playing hockey.
Where ever he goes, he'll get more money than any emotionally healthy person can reasonably spend (how many cars do you need, how many bedrooms n your house, etc).

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Ideally we trade Voracek for picks and prospects and then package those in a trade for a top pair defenseman. Or use the cap space and sign Hamilton for all I care.

Yea I really have no idea what Voracek would return. I don’t see why he’s worth less than Hall. He makes a lot but he obviously produces a lot. I’m not sure a team like the Kracken would want him either unless they are shaping up to be like the Knights which would be unknown until a few months in to the season. It would be tough to find a trading partner IMO.

Reactions: LorneMalvo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad