2020/21 Roster Thread IV: A New Hope

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
As I said in the GDT, Fletcher's really killing this team.

The coaching staff
Braun
Hagg
Gus

By far the biggest things hurting us right now. All his doing. And it's not even just that he's passively allowed bad things to happen, like Hextall did. He actively added each of those detriments.

Everything good about the team is thanks to the previous GMs.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
As I said in the GDT, Fletcher's really killing this team.

The coaching staff
Braun
Hagg
Gus

By far the biggest things hurting us right now. All his doing. And it's not even just that he's passively allowed bad things to happen, like Hextall did. He actively added each of those detriments.

Everything good about the team is thanks to the previous GMs.

I love Hextall. But isn’t signing weise, Schultz, Folin, giving amac a huge deal, resigning manning, vdv, Rinaldo also actively bad? Didn’t he also extend Haag? And talking staffs, hakstol?

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I love Hextall. But isn’t signing weise, Schultz, Folin, giving amac a huge deal, resigning manning, vdv, Rinaldo also actively bad? Didn’t he also extend Haag? And talking staffs, hakstol?
My post is not defending Hakstol or Hextall even a tiny bit.

I said Fletcher is worse, not that Hextall was perfect or great or anything like that. There’s also a big difference between signing bargain bin players as placeholders while rebuilding and passively tanking versus signing them when you’re actually trying to contend.

As far as Hakstol goes, AV is equally as bad, at best. He gets everything wrong that Hakstol screwed up, plus he ruined the PP, which Hakstol was never dumb enough to touch. The difference in results is only thanks to the roster being much better... thanks to Hextall-era drafting and Holmgren-era vets.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I would still like to see this in the future.

Provorov - Ghost
SanDhiem - Myers
Gus - Braun/Friedman

Freidman/Morin

To think you could have Morin playing both LW and D in the same game. He'd get his minutes that way ;)

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Provorov - Ghost
SanDhiem - Myers
Gus - Braun/Friedman

Freidman/Morin

To think you could have Morin playing both LW and D in the same game. He'd get his minutes that way ;)

I'd swap out Gus for Hagg.

Gus is like Bizarro Morin. A forward converted to defense.

He seems braindead in his own zone.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Provorov - Ghost
SanDhiem - Myers
Gus - Braun/Friedman

Freidman/Morin

Put Sanheim up with Provorov. That’s the future first pair. Someone is going to have to play on their off side so let’s get that transition started and Sanheim looks more than capable of doing that. Pair Ghost with Myers and survive with whatever slop is on the 3 pair.

Reactions: orangey

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
My post is not defending Hakstol or Hextall even a tiny bit.

I said Fletcher is worse, not that Hextall was perfect or great or anything like that. There’s also a big difference between signing bargain bin players as placeholders while rebuilding and passively tanking versus signing them when you’re actually trying to contend.

As far as Hakstol goes, AV is equally as bad, at best. He gets everything wrong that Hakstol screwed up, plus he ruined the PP, which Hakstol was never dumb enough to touch. The difference in results is only thanks to the roster being much better... thanks to Hextall-era drafting and Holmgren-era vets.

I don’t want to get into a long thing about it because I love Hextall also. But some teams sign bottom tier guys who actually contribute. Hextall didn’t sign these players thinking/hoping they would be bums. He also brought in Boyd Gordon, Carlo Colaiacovo, Lehtera (who he should of buried in the minors) Johnny Oduya off waivers for playoff depth. If you look at most if not all of his signings and many resignings they at best can be classified as bad.

Hard to compare draft picks until fletchers start playing. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd much rather have Hagg out there than Gus, once Ghost returns.
Hagg may ice the puck, Gus passes it to the wrong uniform in his D-zone, much, much worse outcomes.

Provorov - Braun
Sanheim - Myers
Hagg - Ghost
Ghost rotates up on O-zone starts with Provorov, and gets PP1 duty.
So Braun and Hagg end up playing 15 minutes a night, the other four 20+.

When the AHL starts, waive Gus, see if anyone will take his salary off your hands, otherwise have him focus on playing defense in LHV and tell him if he ever wants to see the NHL again, develop some fundamentals.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Well AMac was signed under Holmgren as a GM. People often say Hextall was on-board, but that's difficult to prove either way. What we do know is that Homer was GM at that time.

Hextall's other signings are so miniscule it really just doesn't matter in the grand scheme. Also he signed MDZ, which was a good signing (just have to throw that in there) - but again: who cares. All the guys you named got small contracts. JVR is his big mark made - and so far it's been fine.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don’t want to get into a long thing about it because I love Hextall also. But some teams sign bottom tier guys who actually contribute. Hextall didn’t sign these players thinking/hoping they would be bums. He also brought in Boyd Gordon, Carlo Colaiacovo, Lehtera (who he should of buried in the minors) Johnny Oduya off waivers for playoff depth. If you look at most if not all of his signings and many resignings they at best can be classified as bad.

Hard to compare draft picks until fletchers start playing. Just my opinion.
You're missing my point.

I don't love Hextall.
I'm not defending or forgetting his bad signings.
I'm not comparing his draft picks to Fletchers.

I'm only saying that things got even worse once the new staff took over, even though they have less of an excuse because they inherited an amazing situation.
So, in your head, tally up a list of all the things Hextall and Hakstol did wrong, then also add on a few additional mistakes, and that's what we're currently dealing with.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Well AMac was signed under Holmgren as a GM. People often say Hextall was on-board, but that's difficult to prove either way. What we do know is that Homer was GM at that time.

Hextall's other signings are so miniscule it really just doesn't matter in the grand scheme. Also he signed MDZ, which was a good signing (just have to throw that in there) - but again: who cares. All the guys you named got small contracts. JVR is his big mark made - and so far it's been fine.
The Weise contract was a pain in the ass though. I'm not sure what player Hextall thought he would be getting when he gave him 4 years.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018

All the guys Fletcher signed received small contracts with no real term or were on expiring ones. Except Hayes.

If mdz and jvr on a big deal are your signinings to crow about...well then.
There has been a few articles posted that Hextall solely handled the negotiations with amac. Already knew he would be the gm the following year.

Like I said, I love Hextall, but to be blind to his work other than the draft is kinda unfair.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Things have gotten worse b/c right now Couts, Myers and Frost are injured and Ghost wanted some nookie with a nurse.

Braun has been fine, 17-18 minutes a night, hopefully when Ghost returns he'll be down to 16-17.
Hagg is Hagg, but he's actually better this year. Gus however has been a disaster, but I'll give him a little more time before AV buries him - he did come from a dysfunctional home (Chicago).

xGFrel:
Braun +0.52
Myers +0.33
Sanheim +0.24
Hagg +0.17
Provorov -0.39
Gus -1.06

Best line has been Giroux - Hayes - Farabee
Worst line JVR - Patrick - Voracek, Patrick is rusty and right now JVR is more likely to be protected than Jake.

However, it's four pre-season games so I wouldn't read too much into anyone's performance so far.
We won't know what we have until well into February, so 3-1 is a great start.

If Myers is hurt, Friedman will get his shot, that's why he's on the roster.
When Ghost returns, Gus is on thin ice.

Trading for a defenseman will be difficult, until a vaccine is widespread and teams know they're out of the playoffs, no one is giving up depth when COVID can strip your roster overnight.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The Weise contract was a pain in the ass though. I'm not sure what player Hextall thought he would be getting when he gave him 4 years.

No arguments about Weise here. That deal was a pain, but it was still a relatively small contract IMO

All the guys Fletcher signed received small contracts with no real term or were on expiring ones. Except Hayes.

If mdz and jvr on a big deal are your signinings to crow about...well then.
There has been a few articles posted that Hextall solely handled the negotiations with amac. Already knew he would be the gm the following year.

Like I said, I love Hextall, but to be blind to his work other than the draft is kinda unfair.

I'm not saying he was a titan of Free Agency - but how could he be? He never had cap space to work with. He was always undoing what Homer did. The year he had cap, he got JVR (probably top forward on the market).

Homer had to signoff of any number negotiated, so again: I'm not putting that squarely on Hexy. I won't abdicate him entirely, but I'm putting more blame for AMAC on Homer than Hexy.

I think Hexy's trades were also very good. So his drafting and his trading were very good, IMO. Free Agency was the worst aspect.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I'd rather have Adventure Time Bus Gus then Boss Hogg goin.
Second me on this. At least Gus despite the mental errors in the D zone, can make one pass or shot than can lead to a goal. With Hagg you get 3 physical errors, 4 mental errors and nothing positive in a game.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

As well as MDZ who was very good value, he also got Bellemare, Gudas, traded Vinny and LSchenn for Weal, traded Grossman and Pronger for Gagner, etc.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
As well as MDZ who was very good value, he also got Bellemare, Gudas, traded Vinny and LSchenn for Weal, traded Grossman and Pronger for Gagner, etc.
Was del Zotto very good value? First year yes. Next 2? Didn’t he get something like 4 million a year?

Bellemare I liked. A poor mans raffl.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hextall's NHL player acquisitions ranged from "meh" to downright bad. Not a single free agent signing or trade for NHL players can be labeled "good." The possible exception is Gudas, but we're still talking about a 3rd pairing defenseman.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Hextall's NHL player acquisitions ranged from "meh" to downright bad. Not a single free agent signing or trade for NHL players can be labeled "good." The possible exception is Gudas, but we're still talking about a 3rd pairing defenseman.

JVR

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The guy who will be exposed in the expansion draft and many people are hoping gets taken off the Flyers' hands?

Yup - that guy.

That's due to wanting to use his money elsewhere, not for him being bad. If we keep him, it's not the end of the world either. We just have that much depth now (thank you, Hexy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad