Prospect Info: 2020-21 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
These people have already had COVID...what risk do they have of spreading COVID into the bubble?

Because they can't be sure how long they are still contagious, and IIRC false negatives are possible with these sorts of COVID tests. Obviously they won't still be contagious by the time the tournament starts.

Reactions: Darkauron

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

If you do check this out, read the fourth comment, the long one about Sharangovich. Gives some sense of what he's developing into. Just one fan's take (not mine) but it is broad and describes what Sharangovich is doing with more than just some stats. He may be an NHL player this season. Miles Wood may have to update his resume.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If you do check this out, read the fourth comment, the long one about Sharangovich. Gives some sense of what he's developing into. Just one fan's take (not mine) but it is broad and describes what Sharangovich is doing with more than just some stats. He may be an NHL player this season. Miles Wood may have to update his resume.

Do we have need of a bus driver or is Peter Sykora still holding down that position?

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Those are fun posts and they’re right that it really really sucks that couldn’t roll into the playoffs and just crush. They put Koukkanen on Sharangovich’s wing in his four games in Bing, he’s credited on all 4 of Koukkanen’s ES points, so they have played together before and we’ll see if they get a shot together in camp.

This reminds me I have to confess a Binghamton Devils related error. When I was poking around the stats I said Bastian’s late season goal-scoring may have been boosted by him getting power play time. Well I read the wrong stat row, they were actually short handed goals but in my defense three short-handed goals in four games is unusual. Those were his shorties only of the year and he did get his lone power play goal around that time as well.

Sharangovich had two of his three shorties in the last three games and Schmelzer (who the poster mentioned) got his one around then so that penalty kill was really feeling it before the season was cancelled.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Benjamin Baumgartner got another assist today which means his point streak is up to four games and he has 7 points (1G 5A) in six games after his slow start with just 2G in four games.

I don’t know much about him other than the Devils made @StevenToddIves sad when they drafted him right before Dallas grabbed his fave Yevgeni Oksentyuk so it’s good to see him perk up. Win Steve’s love Benji!

His team, HC Davos, is in second to last place but has some offense. My favorite new site, Flashscore, has Swiss league lines as well so I learned BB was bumped up to top line with their leading scorer on the other wing for this game. (He’s moved around and sometimes plays center.) Their second leading scorer, Joe Thornton, is centering big brother Luca Hischier. (How cute is that!)

Davos live scores, results, fixtures, Davos v Biel live | Hockey, Switzerland

(Unlike the KHL and the SHL scores the NL scores doesn’t have any player stats other than the box score and lines unfortunately so no ice times.)

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
shouldn't he theoretically be coming back over here soon?
I know everyone is going to hate it but I’m guessing Sharangonvich is probably spending the rest of the year in the KHL. This is his 32nd game, in a season that started in early September, and the NHL is planning to play a 56 regular game season. It wouldn’t be a normal season of hockey for him. The other loaned players played less than 20 games and stopped playing by the end of November. It’s sucks but at least he’s playing 20 minutes in what will hopefully be a 60 game season with playoffs.

I’m not going to debate this point because I want to be wrong and I haven’t read a single thing saying what they actually plan to do with the guy or what he wants.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I believe he's out on a Covid loan, right? Are Covid loans still allowed once the league has resumed? It might not be up to the Devils. A player with an SPC being loaned out to a European club for a full season would be unprecedented.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I believe he's out on a Covid loan, right? Are Covid loans still allowed once the league has resumed? It might not be up to the Devils. A player with an SPC being loaned out to a European club for a full season would be unprecedented.

This happens all the time. Now Sharangovich doesn't have a European assignment clause, so it would be unusual, but players get loaned to Europe under an NHL contract quite often.

I don't think it's the worst idea, either. Let him come back over next season when this is all done and if he doesn't make the team out of camp then he can stay in Europe.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'd be perfectly fine with either leaving him in the KHL or having him come back to be honest. If he stays, great he can keep up his strong season there and come back next year with that experience. If he comes back I think he's already capable of competing, and possibly earning a spot on the roster and we might be a better team with him on it. No rush though, he won't make or break the team.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I'd prefer Sharangovich to be on the NHL team this season if it's realistic. I think he can establish himself as a third liner if his play is not a mirage and allow the team to react accordingly. He's probably gotten about as much out of the KHL season for his development as he is going to get. Maybe the quarantine after the flight will allow him to rest and regenerate enough to be re-energized when he joins the team. Wood and Zacha aside, there are spots up for grabs in the bottom six. I'd be disappointed if he wasn't up for taking a run at one of them or the team told him to try again next season.

Reactions: nugg

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
In a mystery who would you rather have:

Player A:

Size - 6’3”, 189 pounds

Age - 21 in 2 weeks.

KHL this season - 28 games, 9 goals, 4 assists, +6

——————

Player B:

Size - 6’2”, 205 pounds

KHL this season - 32 games, 17 goals, 7 assists, +12

—————

This is tongue in cheek because the answer is still A but it’s a nice look for player B right now.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Player A:

Size - 6’3”, 189 pounds

Age - 21 in 2 weeks.

——————

Player B:

Size - 6’2”, 205 pounds

—————

This is tongue in cheek because the answer is still A but it’s a nice look for player B right now.

Kravtsov thread on the prospects board is pretty interesting right now. Rangers fan just called him a bust.

My3Sons

Sponsor

Player A:

Size - 6’3”, 189 pounds

Age - 21 in 2 weeks.

——————

Player B:

Size - 6’2”, 205 pounds

—————

Without watching them play and the context of their play it’s just stat watching and applying conventional wisdom. How many guys drafted in Sharangovich’s spot ever develop to this extent at this point in their career? Don’t throw out his finish in the AHL in February/March. This level of play seems to have started earlier than just the KHL season and how old was he in March? Maybe Player A does what player B does next season but again I’d like context to their stats and some eye test to go with it. That said I’m not being dismissive of your point.

Reactions: Guadana

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I know everyone is going to hate it but I’m guessing Sharangonvich is probably spending the rest of the year in the KHL. This is his 32nd game, in a season that started in early September, and the NHL is planning to play a 56 regular game season. It wouldn’t be a normal season of hockey for him. The other loaned players played less than 20 games and stopped playing by the end of November. It’s sucks but at least he’s playing 20 minutes in what will hopefully be a 60 game season with playoffs.

I’m not going to debate this point because I want to be wrong and I haven’t read a single thing saying what they actually plan to do with the guy or what he wants.

Curious what Sharangovich would be making in the KHL. Figure it has to be more than his $70K minors salary, but well below his $700K NHL salary. Not that this would be the deciding factor, but if you're in his shoes it would certainly be a consideration.

The fact that he's still over there while many other players are on their way back to the US suggests there's a decent possibility he stays in the KHL this season. Maybe he stays and comes over when the KHL season is over?

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Curious what Sharangovich would be making in the KHL. Figure it has to be more than his $70K minors salary, but well below his $700K NHL salary. Not that this would be the deciding factor, but if you're in his shoes it would certainly be a consideration.

The fact that he's still over there while many other players are on their way back to the US suggests there's a decent possibility he stays in the KHL this season. Maybe he stays and comes over when the KHL season is over?
I haven’t even thought about salaries and I don’t where info about how much the loaned players are getting would be since KHL are not publicized. That’s a good point about his potential NHL salary but I don’t know what the options are.

Other prospects are still playing in the KHL but the newly signed UFA Leaf Mikko Lehtonen stopped playing mid-November so it feels like there’s a different approach if guys are getting ready for the NHL. The Devils Twitter account is never particularly super informative but they may not have said anything about this because if the plan is to leave him in Belerus some people are going to be pretty salty.

He could certainly come after because the KHL regular season does end on 2/27 and the playoffs start on March 2 with the potential game 7 of the Gagarin Cup on April 30 (according to their slightly odd official website.) I’ve seen people estimating the NHL regular season to end mid-May. (HC Dinamo Minsk has also never made it past the Quarter Finals when they’ve made the Playoffs.)

The KHL schedule for 2020-2021 – we start on Sep. 2!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad