Prospect Info: 2020-21 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you do check this out, read the fourth comment, the long one about Sharangovich. Gives some sense of what he's developing into. Just one fan's take (not mine) but it is broad and describes what Sharangovich is doing with more than just some stats. He may be an NHL player this season. Miles Wood may have to update his resume.

Would love nothing more than producing another player from the 5th round...But his progression just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Not sure what to think about him or what he has done...I saw him live in November of 2018. His game was uneventful, not worth mentioning...Just one game, no big deal, I wouldn't make too much of 1 game unless it was really bad or really good...He was just there. If you asked me to describe him then, I would've probably said something like "AHL filler" - but as I said one game doesn't tell me much...Especially when I was there to pay close attention to other players....And drink beer

But the thing for me, his stats in the AHL haven't been good at all... He's got 42 points in 125 games - .336 PPG at 22 years old in the AHL doesn't spell "NHL player" to me?

Did you notice that poster you are referencing mentioned 14pts in his last 15 games...Well think about that for second... He played 57 games and had 25 points...So before his last 15 game, he had 11 points in 42 games...everyone on the team saw their stats jump at the middle to end of December. So before the final 15 games he had a total of 28 points in 110 career AHL games .254 PPG - Not goals per game, points per game....That is pure garbage. Really no other way to describe it.

So what are we seeing here? Did he just turn a corner and really does have NHL potential? Is he just on an unsustainable hot streak? Is he just having a fluke of year in the KHL because of weird circumstances? Or has he figured something out about his game?

I don't know? The pieces of this story don't seem to make much sense to me...

Last edited:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Would love nothing more than producing another player from the 5th round...But his progression just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Not sure what to think about him or what he has done...I saw him live in November of 2018. His game was uneventful, not worth mentioning...Just one game, no big deal, I wouldn't make too much of 1 game unless it was really bad or really good...He was just there. If you asked me to describe him then, I would've probably said something like "AHL filler" - but as I said one game doesn't tell me much...Especially when I was there to pay close attention to other players....And drink beer

But the thing for me, his stats in the AHL haven't been good at all... He's got 42 points in 125 games - .336 PPG at 22 years old in the AHL doesn't spell "NHL player" to me?

Did you notice that poster you are referencing mentioned 14pts in his last 15 games...Well think about that for second... He played 57 games and had 25 points...So before his last 15 game, he had 11 points in 42 games...everyone on the team saw their stats jump at the middle to end of December. So before the final 15 games he had a total of 28 points in 110 career AHL games .254 PPG - Not goals per game, points per game....That is pure garbage. Really no other way to describe it.

So what are we seeing here? Did he just turn a corner and really does have NHL potential? Is he just on an unsustainable hot streak? Is he just having a fluke of year in the KHL because of weird circumstances? Or has he figured something out about his game?

The whole system under Hynes/Shero seemed to evaluate talent better than cultivating it. Bratt was a unicorn but after a stellar season he hasn’t really grown. Ironically after the said Bosses got can things took off. I thought the Hughes/Boqvist situations were mishandled. Bing was a mess the past few seasons. I think all parties that are in place for one reason, to develop.

Reactions: JimEIV

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

That's certainly possible but I will say that the better play has spanned a long layoff and two continents. Hopefully he participates at some point this upcoming season and we get a chance to watch him. Given the makeup of the Bingo team it's hard to say what might or might not have developed for him. I don't think he ever got primary or power play minutes from what I read. It could be as simple as he started to play a bit better, the coaches noticed, gave him more ice time and better line mates and his progression continued. Turning a corner going from 21 to 22 years old is a bit late but not crazy late for a developmental prospect to maybe land a bottom six NHL slot. At least he's playing well now which is all he can do and it will remain to be seen what he can accomplish upon his return. I don't think anyone is projecting more than a "maybe" for him right now, but as you noted, last year he wasn't even a "maybe".

If there is anyone I'm disappointed in heading into this season it's Boqvist. He's the kind of player that should be putting up points and it hasn't happened yet. Again, it's way too early to close the book on him and maybe he doesn't hit his stride until midway into this season and then look much better. My oldest son is now 23. He's basically a more sophisticated version of the kid I sent off to college five years ago and I guarantee you he's light years more mature than the average kid his age. I wouldn't consider him too old to develop further and no reason that these prospects can't either, even Zacha.

Reactions: JimEIV

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If you want a deep dive Sharangovich’s origins there’s some posts starting from 2017 that mention him in the Belarus thread in the Eastern European thread of Hockey Talk by Country.

All About the Jersey has section called Binghamton that you can click on and you can read older articles on the team by Jeff Ulmer including quarterly player reviews with comments by people who watch the games.

Sharangovich did play a year in the KHL before coming over but he came from relatively off the beaten track with the Belarus national program. In the fall 2018 you saw him as a rookie playing in NA for the first time on a offensively-challenged stumbling AHL team.

I don’t particularly want to dwell on the woes of 2018-19 Binghamton Devils but, sure, Sharangovich’s numbers weren’t good on paper. Commentators did had good things to say about him in terms of showing potential even that year.

A rawer prospect on bad team might not produce and still have a future particularly if he keeps showing improvement. He was an overager so he can be compared to 2017 draft class so this is the equivalent of his D+4 year but even then these KHL numbers are impressive compared to younger KHL players. He has the most points U24 in the KHL and only two players in that age group are scoring at a higher rate. It’s not like being among the few U20 producing in the KHL but it’s impressive.

Of the those two players only one is younger, 2017 7th round draft pick Ivan Chekhovich is about a half year younger and has 16 points (6g 10a) in 17 games. Chekhovich is a boom-or-bust smaller scoring winger who developed in the QMJHL so he’s only a complete comparable in the sense that he had rough rookie AHL year and is a similar age.

And, yes, while Chekhovich is producing at a better rate so far but 4 of 6 goals are from the power play. Sharangovich had 4 power goals out of 17 which also includes 2 shorties. Sharangovich’s penalty killing is often pointed to by Bing watchers who thought he was a dark horse candidate for future NHLer before this. He’s not a rando who’s success is completely mystifying but he’s not a blue chip prospect so it was always going to take time and if he becomes a successful full-time NHLer he’ll have beaten some high odds against him. Now he has to keep progressing like he has been for a while now.

Binghamton Devils - All About The Jersey

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's the thing - Sharangovich may not be a whole lot at the NHL level. He's still a decent prospect and at the very least he will be a top 9 forward in the KHL for the next decade even if he doesn't make it here.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If you want a deep dive Sharangovich’s origins there’s some posts starting from 2017 that mention him in the Belarus thread in the Eastern European thread of Hockey Talk by Country.

All About the Jersey has section called Binghamton that you can click on and you can read older articles on the team by Jeff Ulmer including quarterly player reviews with comments by people who watch the games.

Sharangovich did play a year in the KHL before coming over but he came from relatively off the beaten track with the Belarus national program. In the fall 2018 you saw him as a rookie playing in NA for the first time on a offensively-challenged stumbling AHL team.

I don’t particularly want to dwell on the woes of 2018-19 Binghamton Devils but, sure, Sharangovich’s numbers weren’t good on paper. Commentators did had good things to say about him in terms of showing potential even that year.

A rawer prospect on bad team might not produce and still have a future particularly if he keeps showing improvement. He was an overager so he can be compared to 2017 draft class so this is the equivalent of his D+4 year but even then these KHL numbers are impressive compared to younger KHL players. He has the most points U24 in the KHL and only two players in that age group are scoring at a higher rate. It’s not like being among the few U20 producing in the KHL but it’s impressive.

Of the those two players only one is younger, 2017 7th round draft pick Ivan Chekhovich is about a half year younger and has 16 points (6g 10a) in 17 games. Chekhovich is a boom-or-bust smaller scoring winger who developed in the QMJHL so he’s only a complete comparable in the sense that he had rough rookie AHL year and is a similar age.

And, yes, while Chekhovich is producing at a better rate so far but 4 of 6 goals are from the power play. Sharangovich had 4 power goals out of 17 which also includes 2 shorties. Sharangovich’s penalty killing is often pointed to by Bing watchers who thought he was a dark horse candidate for future NHLer before this. He’s not a rando who’s success is completely mystifying but he’s not a blue chip prospect so it was always going to take time and if he becomes a successful full-time NHLer he’ll have beaten some high odds against him. Now he has to keep progressing like he has been for a while now.

Binghamton Devils - All About The Jersey

Didn't injuries play a part in his rise? I thought I had heard that he was a 3rd or 4th liner with limited playing time then exploded when injuries hit Bing, and he took the reigns and ran with it.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Didn't injuries play a part in his rise? I thought I had heard that he was a 3rd or 4th liner with limited playing time then exploded when injuries hit Bing, and he took the reigns and ran with it.
Ben Street, who was the team’s first line center was out a full month starting in early January and so both Sharangovich and Maltsev both spent time centering lines top scoring lines. Street came back but McLeod was getting his 12 games in latter in the season so that left more opportunities for centering. I don’t know if Maltsev is projected to center in the NHL or more left wing. Schnarr was basically the fourth line center, good at face-offs and has one vowel in his last name.

People seem more excited about Maltsev earlier, though his production in his rookie season was also a bit lacking considering people were liking how he was looking. Sharangovich ended the AHL season stronger and obviously pulled ahead since Maltsev got benched by his KHL team after four games. Maltsev’s big selling point is his size as he’s 6’3” and 220, but there were a lot comments about how skilled he is so hopefully the offense is there. Fingers crossed that the AHL does happen as planned so all these guys can play.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Good on Clarke, good camp probably made it in à normal year

Low chance for him, his coach Tourigny had him and Quinn, choose both would put pressure on him and critize if loose,

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Wheeler's thoughts on Clarke:

If there’s one player whose play in camp merited inclusion on the team other than Rees’, Clarke’s that kid. He did an excellent job playing off of the wall and into the slot while bouncing around various different lines. His line were consistently noticeable and productive, he didn’t look out of place with Dylan Cozens and Connor McMichael in the opener, Seth Jarvis’ best game was with him in the second scrimmage, and he had points in all four games. He wasn’t just doing what he does best (see: shoot) either. I like his playmaking instincts throughout. A great start to a new season after last’s was derailed by a shoulder injury. Tourigny even went out of his way to talk about how impressive his Ottawa 67’s forward was on the eve of Friday’s cuts.

Wheeler: Final thoughts on Team Canada's 2021 world junior selection camp

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
With the way this virus is going around, don't be surprised if he still makes it, we still have two weeks before the puck is dropped. That said I'd rather he'd not make it that way at the expense of another player getting sick, but just pointing out of the situation we're in.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
In fairness to Maltsev, the comparison between his club, SKA, and Sharangovich's Dinamo Minsk club is a bit apples to oranges. SKA is a perennial power with a veteran roster. Minsk traditionally has had to fill its roster with prospects from other Russian clubs or North America, though they have benefited from the shutdown in North America.

Ben Street, who was the team’s first line center was out a full month starting in early January and so both Sharangovich and Maltsev both spent time centering lines top scoring lines. Street came back but McLeod was getting his 12 games in latter in the season so that left more opportunities for centering. I don’t know if Maltsev is projected to center in the NHL or more left wing. Schnarr was basically the fourth line center, good at face-offs and has one vowel in his last name.

People seem more excited about Maltsev earlier, though his production in his rookie season was also a bit lacking considering people were liking how he was looking. Sharangovich ended the AHL season stronger and obviously pulled ahead since Maltsev got benched by his KHL team after four games. Maltsev’s big selling point is his size as he’s 6’3” and 220, but there were a lot comments about how skilled he is so hopefully the offense is there. Fingers crossed that the AHL does happen as planned so all these guys can play.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Clarke was very impressive for me watching the Canadian camp. HE should make it over Rees, heck, even Byfield.... but thats not going to happen....because ..merit right?

I didn't realize he is not yet signed to an ELC but will he be in Devils camp before heading back to the 67's?

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey

It does certainly seem strange, but maybe he's just one of those players who take longer to develop, a la Blake Coleman.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Graeme Clarke is looking the part of a steal, I would have to say he was the last cut. He likely outplayed Mercer (same age). When I watched him in the first two games he looked every part the skillet of a late 1st/early 2nd pick. Part of me was hoping he would bump Mercer to light a fire under his ass.

New Jersey should be looking to sign him and have him attend camp, especially with the OHL season looking like a lost cause. He will need every bit of hockey imaginable.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Graeme Clarke is looking the part of a steal, I would have to say he was the last cut. He likely outplayed Mercer (same age). When I watched him in the first two games he looked every part the skillet of a late 1st/early 2nd pick. Part of me was hoping he would bump Mercer to light a fire under his ass.

New Jersey should be looking to sign him and have him attend camp, especially with the OHL season looking like a lost cause. He will need every bit of hockey imaginable.

Its hard to see Mercer slacking based on everything I’ve read and watched of him. I’m thinking his slow finish to the WJC camp means he’s dealing with a slight injury. He started well in the first two games and then apparently did absolutely nothing after the lock down. Maybe he went cold while sitting in the hotel room.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad