Status
Not open for further replies.

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
First things first, they have to clear Backes and Miller off the books. If they can do that, they’ll have enough money to keep Johansson AND bring in a RW’er.

I think we’d all prefer a younger power forward than Ferland, but after watching CLB defeat Tampa and STL beat Boston I wouldn’t be surprised if GM’s are valuing their power forwards more now than a few months ago. Sweeney may have no choice but to look at free agency for his new RW and Ferland is intriguing. He only just turned 27 and he only has 4 years in the league so not a lot of miles. He’s played 70+ games in all 4 seasons and in his last two seasons he either hit or was on pace for 20 goals.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I mentioned this in another thread but I would absolutely kick the tires on Matt Duchene.

Marchand, Bergeron and Krejci are all over 30. Marchand and Bergeron both battled injuries in the playoffs and Krejci has had his share of issues in the past. When 3 of your 4 most important players are over 30, you’re bound to have injury problems.

It’s rare for a point per game center to hit free agency, especially one in his prime. It’s an opportunity I wouldn’t let go by without seeing if there is mutual interest.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
First things first, they have to clear Backes and Miller off the books. If they can do that, they’ll have enough money to keep Johansson AND bring in a RW’er.

I think we’d all prefer a younger power forward than Ferland, but after watching CLB defeat Tampa and STL beat Boston I wouldn’t be surprised if GM’s are valuing their power forwards more now than a few months ago. Sweeney may have no choice but to look at free agency for his new RW and Ferland is intriguing. He only just turned 27 and he only has 4 years in the league so not a lot of miles. He’s played 70+ games in all 4 seasons and in his last two seasons he either hit or was on pace for 20 goals.

Reactions: PlayMakers

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Maybe I'm getting too cranky in my old age but I'm having a hard time jumping between the different threads of random speculation, draft talk and potential roster moves related to free agency so I thought I would try and get things sorted out a bit more here.

There is, of course, lots of chatter around what the Bruins may or may not do. To me, Ferland is a perfect UFA addition as he has enough skill to play with top-line players but also brings big, nasty power forward game. $ and term will be the question with Ferland. Sweeney has understandably gone power forward gun-shy after B&B and the result is a forward group without enough size or grit compared to a big, nasty team like St. Louis/ Washington.

I've heard some interesting chatter that I may run by some mods later --but for now, let's start listing the players and rumors out there in one happy thread. I'll start with a slightly outdated list: https://thehockeynews.com/ne
Colt, any concerns about Ferland being too much of a risk to get a big money contract & then essentially end up a 4th line/healthy scratch type ala Beleskey? They have a lot in common when you look at their resumes approaching their UFA windows. You wanted Wagner last Summer & that turned out to be a great add so I'm inclined to trust your judgement to a degree. I agree that they could use a guy like Ferland, but I'm not convinced yet that he's the right guy. His playoff run this year was pretty abysmal too (I realize he was injured for part of it)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Expect dissapointment if you think we are adding in ufa

Top priorities will be sign mcavoy and carlo

We might decide between heinen and mojo but yo me its a no brainer

Accairi likely becomes a victem to numbers game

Im operating under belief backes will stick around... if he goes we might keep accairi

I dont see any way we can keep miller on defense... but we dont need a replacement

My one left field thought... might sign a new goalie if we decide to sell high on halak

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I would re-sign Mojo, and make other signing as well, but first need to shed salary, Miller and Backes need to go, then I would look to deal Krejci and Krug, sign Ferland but no way at $5M he is not worth that much, $3.5 is most I would offer, if not then let him go elsewhere. Sign Cernak a good D away from Tampa, then sign Duchene, I like what he brings more than Krejci right now I think $8 to $8.5 per year would do it.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I would be surprised if Sweeney doesn’t sign a free agent. He has every year as GM. I think he likes the idea of adding an asset without giving one up, likes the depth that creates. I know money is tight but it’s up to him to create some space.

If it were up to me I would do whatever it takes to move Backes. If that’s a first round pick then it’s a first round pick. This team is too good not to take another step forward and we need that money. The clock is ticking.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I would be surprised if Sweeney doesn’t sign a free agent. He has every year as GM. I think he likes the idea of adding an asset without giving one up, likes the depth that creates. I know money is tight but it’s up to him to create some space.

If it were up to me I would do whatever it takes to move Backes. If that’s a first round pick then it’s a first round pick. This team is too good not to take another step forward and we need that money. The clock is ticking.
I would try to deal a couple prospects like Zboril and JFK or Frederic instead of a pick if we can move Backes that way, what a horrible signing that was.

Reactions: PlayMakers

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I think the best way to get a power forward is to try and draft and develop. GM's overvalue this skill set and pay for it. If a team allows a power forward to hit free agency or trade, there are probably some problems with that player and won't be worth the contract. The only exception would be something like Mark Stone, but that wasn't happening.

I an weary of any power forward in their late 20's/30's that a team let's walk or wants to trade.

Belsekey
Backes
Lucic
Simmonds

Reactions: AM Bruin

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Ferland is a good 3rd line option and would be a good fit. However, he already dealt with injuries last season... will they continue or will it impact his play?

Ferland and Johansson would be nice but with both comes injury concern and long term doubt and likely they both receive long contracts.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think the best way to get a power forward is to try and draft and develop. GM's overvalue this skill set and pay for it. If a team allows a power forward to hit free agency or trade, there are probably some problems with that player and won't be worth the contract. The only exception would be something like Mark Stone, but that wasn't happening.

I an weary of any power forward in their late 20's/30's that a team let's walk or wants to trade.

Belsekey
Backes
Lucic
Simmonds

Andrew Ladd, James Neal, Corey Perry, etc.

Are there any examples of signing a power forward type into their late 20s/early 30s in the past decade or so where it has actually turned out to be a smart move by the team making the commitment?

Bottom line for me, if they are going to sign UFAs, particularly if they are handing out term, that player needs to be a strong skater. Big, small, whatever, the skating ability is the key. If they can skate well, you can at least somewhat anticipate success moving forward.

If they are average-to-below-average skaters, as most of these guys are, you just never know when they are going to fall off a cliff performance-wise.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
WE NEED GRIT

Beleskey_Matt-85c13d6bcb.jpg

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
What’s the difference between Ferland and Wagner? Why pay Ferland that money when Wagner does the same thing and can score. By the way, where was Ferland during the Hurricanes series?

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
What’s the difference between Ferland and Wagner? Why pay Ferland that money when Wagner does the same thing and can score. By the way, where was Ferland during the Hurricanes series?
Injured. He was just coming off concussion protocol. If you can't see the difference between these two player you must lump all physical players into the same boat.

Ferland has played on Calgary's top line at times and can play both wings, has a great shot, can skate, hits like a truck and will fight. If you want to say they may not be worth the difference in cap hit that is one thing to say there is no difference in the players is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad