2019 Traverse City Prospect Tournament (Sept. 6-10)

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Ranger fans will no doubt have their great collection of prospects ever at one of these tournaments.

They should enjoy...but how many times have we seen teams load up on promising players and end up with little...

Don't go running the mouth, cheer for your Boys and move on.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Is it common for teams to send top picks to this tournament? Looking at Rangers/Hawks, sending Dach and Kakko, plus 2018 top picks
thanks

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Is it common for teams to send top picks to this tournament? Looking at Rangers/Hawks, sending Dach and Kakko, plus 2018 top picks
thanks

Yes, all top prospects will play in the tournament. Once they have a season of professional experience then they don't attend again (specifically top end prospects). If they are an average prospect, 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounder, with one season in the AHL they will return to Traverse again most likely.

Some players will attend Traverse tournament up to four times if they were drafted out of the CHL, sign a pro contract, and play first season in the AHL.

Reactions: jw2

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I dunno. The Rangers have the best goaltender and overall the best defense in the tournament IMO. Should be close between the two teams.

Names on the roster really doesn't mean anything in this tournament. A team half full of ECHL/AHL invites can easily win despite another team having multiple top 10 picks and high end prospects.

Teams are randomly thrown together for a tournament in the summer -- usually age/pro experience trumps draft position from following this event.

Reactions: Thordic

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Nothing against the Rangers and I completely agree, but this post just reminded me of a few seasons ago when Buffalo was at a tournament. I think it was just a 4 team tourney. They were suppose to just lay waste to the opponents, but I think thet went 1-2 and got killed by someone.

Not saying the poster is saying his team will dominate, or anything against the Rangers. Just, for whatever reason made me think of that.

It's a total crap shoot. Realistically, if you send the best prospects and your team is that much better than the rest, you should win. If teams are remotely close to the same playing field, you can find yourself easily going 1-2. No real practice. Just tossed together and swapping lines constantly. But it's a good look at the prospects.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Odd Carolina would give up their spot. Did Dundon decide this was an unnecessary burden for his prospects? Maybe Toronto sent him an autographed Marner jersey for their invitation.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
thanks

Yeah, the top spects have always played in it although college players aren't eligible due to NCAA restrictions and European prospects who have started their seasons and won't be attending their teams NHL camp generally don't attend either.

Last edited:

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
It's a total crap shoot. Realistically, if you send the best prospects and your team is that much better than the rest, you should win. If teams are remotely close to the same playing field, you can find yourself easily going 1-2. No real practice. Just tossed together and swapping lines constantly. But it's a good look at the prospects.

Last year Columbus won with a team of mostly undrafted college free agents and free agent invitees iirc, vs Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Carolina, etc who all had highly touted prospects that the CBJ team didn't.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, the top spects have always played in it although college players aren't eligible due to NCAA restrictions and European prospects who have started their seasons and won't be attending their teams NHL camp generally don't attend either.

This depends on the team, but Dallas always invites European guys who are one year away from the AHL. So players they expect to play for Texas in 2020-2021 should be on the roster this year. Jakob Stenqvist and Jacob Peterson for example.

NCAA are eligible to play in the tournament, just like they are eligible to attend NHL Development camp. They just need to pay their own way and can't accept money from the team. The reason NCAA players don't participate is because school has started -- not because they aren't able to.

Reactions: TheWhiskeyThief

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Last year Columbus won with a team of mostly undrafted college free agents and free agent invitees iirc, vs Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Carolina, etc who all had highly touted prospects that the CBJ team didn't.

Yeah last year Columbus had a bunch of older free agent types and lower round drafted guys and won it. They went out there and absolutely bullied teams though and ran around the whole time. Their game against Detroit was one of the rougher games I've seen in a while

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah, it's totally unpredictable. Teams aren't preparing well for the tournament. Not intentionally, there's just no time to get everybody together and accomplish a real game plan to practice it. Columbus played a little heavier than most of the teams and worked out in their favor. You can easily get excited after seeing your team send a bunch of good prospects, but you have to keep a realistic expectation that his tournament means nothing and it's more about how the prospects looks than the overall team accomplishment. This is one of those rare occurrences where name on the back is more important than the name on the front. (You still want them to be team players though)

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
A little weird that Sandin won't be playing, but it should be a good tournament. I'm very happy the leafs are doing this rather than playing a couple of games against Montreal and Ottawa

Not really. I'm only going to watch for Robertson.

Sandin/Liljegren are going to compete for a job in camp.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
:blues

Forwards: Klim Kostin (37), Nikita Alexandrov (32), Mathias Laferriere (58), Alexey Toropchenko (65), Nolan Stevens (47), Austin Poganski (53), Keean Washkurak (40), Mitchell Balmas (88), Kevin Hancock (82), Krystof Hrabik (89), Robby Jackson (79), Dakota Joshua (54), Tanner Kaspick (83), Austen Keating (61), Jeremy Michel (42)

Defense: Mitch Reinke (39), Tyler Tucker (75)Jake Christiansen (56), Walter Flower (72), Nathan LaRose (94), Justin MacPherson (84), River Rymsha (63)

Goaltenders: Colten Ellis (45), Joel Hofer (1)

Pretty bummed that a couple of our most exciting prospects, Dominik Bokk and Niko Mikkola, aren't playing. Player to watch here is clearly Klim Kostin. Look for him to be a man among boys. Another guy is Mitch Reinke who is currently the top defensive propect for STL.

Last edited:

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Nothing against the Rangers and I completely agree, but this post just reminded me of a few seasons ago when Buffalo was at a tournament. I think it was just a 4 team tourney. They were suppose to just lay waste to the opponents, but I think thet went 1-2 and got killed by someone.

Not saying the poster is saying his team will dominate, or anything against the Rangers. Just, for whatever reason made me think of that.

The actual results of these tourneys are always a crapshoot. Usually it has little to do with talent and is decided by what group is able to gel the fastest.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Is it possible to please make one thread for all the prospect tournaments?

There are only a few prospect tournaments each year so why not discuss them only in one thread?

Would be easier...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

There are only a few prospect tournaments each year so why not discuss them only in one thread?

Would be easier...

Theres already 8 teams in Traverse city, why would it make sense to add more team conversation to a thread that already gets pretty busy once the tourney gets started?

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

Would be easier...

I don't think it will make it easier. This thread turns into a tournament GDT once the games start.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Odd Carolina would give up their spot. Did Dundon decide this was an unnecessary burden for his prospects? Maybe Toronto sent him an autographed Marner jersey for their invitation.
I think I read Canes went to a different prospect tournament. Maybe Nashville's?

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
It's been an 8 team tournament as long as I can remember. Just saying.

But I agree. There are up years and down year and also you can never tell. Rangers almost always split two games to each goalie. Shesterkin should be a stud but anyone can have an off game. Huska's a pretty good prospect but not at the same level as Igor. So you never know--a goalie gives up a bad goal or two or a team takes too many penalties or players get injured and things can change.

The Rangers do have 7 solid D in the tournament and 5 are really good prospects now--Fox, Rykov, Robertson, Reunanen and Keane. They also have the two stud forwards--Kakko and Kravtsov + Karl Henriksson. After that the forward depth is pretty ordinary. If the D plays well--if both goalies do well and Kakko and Kravtsov stand out though they'll be hard to beat.

Exactly. They have 1-1/2 forward lines, a really solid D corps and at least 1 goalie that they can ride if they really wanted to “win”.

Not a lot of forward depth in the system, even if Edstrom & Barron could show up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad