2019-nCov: NHL Season SUSPENDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
On the bright side, any alien invasion force would be dead from the inside out in about 3 weeks.

Black Death, Smallpox, Measles, Normal Flu, Covid 19.....

HG Wells was right.

They could always send robots to fight for them ;)

Time travelers would be screwed too I think lol

Reactions: Walrus26

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Some articles from around the league:

Could coronavirus fears force Southern California games to be held without fans? – Orange County Register

NHL keeps close tabs on coronavirus outbreak

Detroit Red Wings wary of coronavirus but say they 'don't live in fear'

The Lightning are finally expecting new sticks held up by coronavirus

From the Orange County Register story:

Los Angeles County health officials declared a health emergency Wednesday as the number of coronavirus cases continued to grow in Southern California. Discussions reportedly have been held about banning spectators at games in order to prevent the spread of the virus, known as COVID-19.

It would be a dramatic step, but one that’s already been taken in Italy, as worldwide deaths have climbed past 3,000 this week. All sporting events in Italy, including soccer games in the top domestic league, will be held without fans in attendance until April 3, the Italian government announced.

Staples Center, the busiest sports venue in Southern California with the NBA’s Lakers and Clippers and the NHL’s Kings calling it home, is working with local, national and worldwide health organizations to stay abreast of the situation, according to a statement released by the facility.

As of Wednesday, there were no discussions of playing any games without fans, however.

“As a result of the latest briefing update from the Los Angeles County Public Health Department, we have posted messaging through our venue reminding fans to engage in safe hygiene practices and to stay home if they feel unwell,” the statement read.

Last edited:

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Actually Covid-19 is the disease. The virus causing it is SARS-CoV-2, i.e. the second known SARS virus.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
1.35 million people worldwide every year die in car/traffic accidents....

Poor logic IMO. The number of deaths by car accidents is highly unlikely to change in any significant way (assuming no radical change in car-driving, like say implementation of across the board self-driving cars). Meanwhile a pandemic has potential to reach out of control proportions.

This is why we shouldn't compare deaths by lightning strikes with, say, death by terrorism, pandemics, wars and so on, because the latter category is not as static as the first and can increase dramatically in a relatively short amount of time.

Wasn't that one of Nassim Nicholas Taleb's arguments in his books? I'd need to refresh my memory but I think he's the main well-known guy going to bat against these sort of arguments. His books are worth reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOLR

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I mean it’s not a nothing burger. The media is just doing a great job at reporting one side of the facts.

in healthy individuals it can pass as a common cold, but if they are carrying it, they’re spreading it like crazy and that’s where the issue lies. It’s the rapid spread and how it can just hide as a common cold for a lot of people.

What happens to the healthy is not the story, the media are not reporting one side of the story. The reason the media are talking about the dying more and for good reasons is that data shows that it kills 20x to 35x more than the flu. It also permanently hurt 60-70x more than the flu (permanent lung damage). It also keeps patients in the ICU 100x more than flu. If it spreads, it will overwhelm even the most robust health systems and the economy.

No amount of cuddling of the masses for what happens to the healthy will change that fact.

Reactions: Tuggy

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
One has to remember that every hospital is able to test for the flu but almost none for this coronavirus. So estimation are that, estimates, ex. for mortality rates. This being said, even the total flu numbers are extrapolations mostly, not data, with lots of uncertainty.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
What happens to the healthy is not the story, the media are not reporting one side of the story. The reason the media are talking about the dying more and for good reasons is that data shows that it kills 20x to 35x more than the flu. It also permanently hurt 60-70x more than the flu (permanent lung damage). It also keeps patients in the ICU 100x more than flu. If it spreads, it will overwhelm even the most robust health systems and the economy.

No amount of cuddling of the masses for what happens to the healthy will change that fact.

Some schools are closing down (Penn).
They just found one infected who works in Seattle where the XFL played this week-end.
One new ship in trouble in San Francisco and another in Egypt with 12 confirmed on it.
2 staffs of British Airways that were found with the virus.
Dow Jones just lost another 700 points so far.

That's just in the last 2 hours.

The healthy or not healthy….once it hit, things change and that social disruption will hurt all part of the society.
The economy will suffer, jobs will be lost, some product will be harder to find.

I have real doubts that we will have a standard NHL playoff this year….seems there's a problem on the west coast right now.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Some schools are closing down (Penn).
They just found one infected who works in Seattle where the XFL played this week-end.
One new ship in trouble in San Francisco and another in Egypt with 12 confirmed on it.
2 staffs of British Airways that were found with the virus.
Dow Jones just lost another 700 points so far.

That's just in the last 2 hours.

The healthy or not healthy….once it hit, things change and that social disruption will hurt all part of the society.
The economy will suffer, jobs will be lost, some product will be harder to find.

I have real doubts that we will have a standard NHL playoff this year….seems there's a problem on the west coast right now.

I'm a consultant so I talk to a lot of businesses. Canadian businesses are completely deluded right now, not ready to an extreme I can't really understand. "Everything is fine". I've said it before the virus was really in NA, and I'll say it again, I don't think we will finish this season of hockey - or if we do it will because of closing everything in the next month.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just heard on CNN that the known COVID-19 cases have reached 100,000.

Or course, there are likely to be a significant number of undetected cases for a number of reasons. I've even heard a pundit suggest that some individuals will not get tested even if they have symptoms for fear of losing their job.

Hearing now that what the experts are advocating is "social distancing".

Last edited:

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I just stayed at an hotel from March 2-3 with a Coronavirus case. Hotel staff going in quarantine and deep cleaning of the establishment. Hopefuly I won't be the unlucky one.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just stayed at an hotel from March 2-3 with a Coronavirus case. Hotel staff going in quarantine and deep cleaning of the establishment. Hopefuly I won't be the unlucky one.

Cabin personnel like yourself are especially vulnerable with all the recirculated air and inevitable proximate contact with passengers.

I hope you're going to be OK. Makes me wonder what airlines are going to do to protect their staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holystik

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

A close encounter for the purposes of the virus is circumscribed, as per the above clip, as a direct face to face contact with an individual within 6 feet up to 15 minutes. Of course, it's just a guideline to give people a sense of proportion but it gets the message across about avoid certain types of contacts.

On CNN, they had experts saying that you have to practice "social distancing" while this is going on.

The disease is most likely to spread among family members:

Perhaps the reason that the virus spreads among family members is the way people become infected. "The main mode of transmission is respiratory droplets" that can be produced by speaking and coughing, says Dr. Adam Lauring, associate professor of microbiology and immunology at the University of Michigan. "These droplets then can find their way into the mouths, noses of other people nearby." ...

But spread isn't exclusively a family matter. The close contact that leads to infection can apply to a range of behaviors, says Seema Lakdawala, a virologist who studies flu transmission at the University of Pittsburgh. "You can do it through shaking hands or kissing somebody who is sick, or you can do it through indirect contact transmission, which is through a contaminated surface, something like a doorknob or a handrail ... [or] you pick up somebody else's phone."

How Coronavirus Spreads: A Cough In Your Face ... Or A Kiss On Your Cheek

It's definitely going to force us to change a range of behaviors that are customary for most of us.

Some public figures have begun resorting to elbow bumps or "el-bumps" instead of handshakes:

Instead of handshakes or high-fives, U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams introduced the elbow bump at a news conference in Connecticut as a possible alternative to avoid the coronavirus.

Coronavirus outbreak prompts elbow bump greeting over handshake

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Cabin personnel like yourself are especially vulnerable with all the circulated air and inevitable proximate contact with passengers.

I hope you're going to be OK. Makes me wonder what airlines are going to do to protect their staff.
So far Air Canada allows us to work with masks and gloves.
Out of our 10 000 flight attendants I'd say 5 to 10% wear the mask and 70% wear the gloves.
In all seriousness besides hospital workers and bio labs, we are the most coronavirus prone job.

For now Air Canada has cancelled all flight to China until end of April. I believe we will further cancel many more future months.

IMHO the height of coronavirus will last 1-2 years affecting millions until it calms down again.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So far Air Canada allows us to work with masks and gloves.
Out of our 10 000 flight attendants I'd say 5 to 10% wear the mask and 70% wear the gloves.
In all seriousness besides hospital workers and bio labs, we are the most coronavirus prone job.

For now Air Canada has cancelled all flight to China until end of April. I believe we will further cancel many more future months.

IMHO the height of coronavirus will last 1-2 years affecting millions until it calms down again.

Has your union looked into how much of the risk is cut down with mask and gloves? Do you feel that is enough to keep you safe?

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Has your union looked into how much of the risk is cut down with mask and gloves? Do you feel that is enough to keep you safe?
Lets start with masks,
the masks provided by Air Canada do not protect from Coronavirus at all as they are graded below N95 protection standards.
So wearing the company provided mask is completly useless.

Now the gloves I like,
As long as you don't touch yourself with them it should help. Even with the common flu strains too so why not.
:laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lets start with masks,
the masks provided by Air Canada do not protect from Coronavirus at all as they are graded below N95 protection standards.
So wearing the company provided mask is completly useless.

Now the gloves I like,
As long as you don't touch yourself with them it should help. Even with the common flu strains too so why not.
:laugh:

If I were you and were working at this time, I'd go out and buy the best available accessories. I'd also wear glasses even if you don't have to wear them. Get some of those oversized aviator models from the 60s -- they're one step removed from goggles, lol. Next step is a hazmat suit, I guess. Man, this stuff is so scary. Stay safe.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Used to think cruise traveling was the bomb, but now ...

The fate of almost 3,500 people headed back to the United States remains a mystery as their cruise ship won't be allowed to dock anytime soon.
That's because the Grand Princess previously carried a passenger who has become the first person to die from coronavirus in California.
And dozens of passengers who were on the voyage with that man are still on the ship. ...

"The problem with the Diamond (Princess) cruise ship, as we've learned, was that when you quarantine people like that, with a few possible infected people, the likelihood of infecting many more people goes up," CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta said.

"Cruise ships are sort of a reservoir for these viruses, even outside of the coronavirus outbreak." :eek:

A cruise ship that carried a man who died from coronavirus is held off the California coast with 3,500 people on board - CNN

If you're over 60, experts saying to avoid going to concerts, movies, big family gatherings, etc.

Reactions: Chili

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Poor countries or government control silence countries like China and Iran do not have free healthcare. US also don’t have free health insurance. This means not everyone is health educated and money plays important role on going to doctor. Chinese do not get flu shots. Virus causes death in older people and people with health issues like asthma.

it will get bad before it gets better. The only thing I see that comes from this....some CEO or pharmaceutical company will get rich out of this. Sadly there’s still greed in humanity. They find a cure to make money, not to help people.

why the hell would they find a cure for cancer when millions are buying their prescription drugs? That’s how it works.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
So Iran may be worse than China and South Korea.

After Iran, Iraq, Syria.

What happens when millions have coronavirus in middle east.

At this point: Iran, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.

Then there is India with the new law. They will most likely not be able to handle it.

Mark my words, unless dramatic change occurs, we are looking at millions of deaths...

CanukInAugusta

Jan 16, 2019
On average, 27 million Americans get influenza each year despite vaccinations. There are no coronavirus vaccinations, and no immunity, so best educated guesses are 60-80 million Americans will catch the coronavirus before enough immunity develops to slow the viral reproduction number and cause it to run its course. Mortality rate is 3.4% of tested and diagnosed cases, certainly actually more than 1% of all cases, and certainly less than 3.4%. Experts say to plan for something roughly 10 times more severe than a typical flu season, a worst case scenario may be 40 times worse. Many people get mild cases (perhaps 80%). In bad cases, symptoms typically noted 4 days after exposure, and one week after symptoms start is close to peak of symptoms when breathing is labored from pneumonia.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

The fate of almost 3,500 people headed back to the United States remains a mystery as their cruise ship won't be allowed to dock anytime soon.
That's because the Grand Princess previously carried a passenger who has become the first person to die from coronavirus in California.
And dozens of passengers who were on the voyage with that man are still on the ship. ...

"The problem with the Diamond (Princess) cruise ship, as we've learned, was that when you quarantine people like that, with a few possible infected people, the likelihood of infecting many more people goes up," CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta said.

"Cruise ships are sort of a reservoir for these viruses, even outside of the coronavirus outbreak." :eek:

A cruise ship that carried a man who died from coronavirus is held off the California coast with 3,500 people on board - CNN

If you're over 60, experts saying to avoid going to concerts, movies, big family gatherings, etc.

Floating petri dishes.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Can tell you that not many people are considering going on a cruise right now.
Not many are considering visiting China, France, Italy, Iran, South Korea….

So Iran may be worse than China and South Korea.

After Iran, Iraq, Syria.

What happens when millions have coronavirus in middle east.

At this point: Iran, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.

Then there is India with the new law. They will most likely not be able to handle it.

Mark my words, unless dramatic change occurs, we are looking at millions of deaths...

Iran wasn't ready, deeply concerning to see their Health Minister having a press conference while clearly having the symptoms. They never even thought of preparing which is why they are where they are.

South Korea is victim of a religious group who's leader was telling their followers to not listen to the gouvernement on the virus and refused to get tested….and the leader even gave a false list of members when the authority asked him to help.

Italy thought the travels bans would keep it out, again here, the first patient showed up 3 times to the same hospitals and showing symptoms each time before getting tested…..many in the hospital got infected and they infected others and they are where they are. They also where the first country outside of Asia having an outbreak.

India has less case than the US...they have 30 cases for a population of 1 339 000 000
So that's 1 billions more people than the US who are closing in the 300 cases and they are next door to China, Italy and SK.
They might do a lot better because of their weather....it's 30 plus degree there.

Calm down with the "millions of death"

The mortality is flawed at this stage. A lot of people died in China because no country could anticipated such a contagious virus which also blow out at the worst possible time. Tons of mistakes were made and that cost many life, they didn't had the equipment, no test existed yet, no idea how to treat it and the stress on the healthcare workers was impossible to deal with.
And on top of that many, if not tons of people just got a little sick and simply stayed home and recovered and never got tested.

The death rate outside of China right now stands at 1.9% and is highly influence by the age of the patient. We will get a vaccine probably in 10 to 14 months, until then, quarantined worked and will be applied all over the world if the situation calls for it.

Reactions: montreal

get25

Oct 17, 2015
On average, 27 million Americans get influenza each year despite vaccinations. There are no coronavirus vaccinations, and no immunity, so best educated guesses are 60-80 million Americans will catch the coronavirus before enough immunity develops to slow the viral reproduction number and cause it to run its course. Mortality rate is 3.4% of tested and diagnosed cases, certainly actually more than 1% of all cases, and certainly less than 3.4%. Experts say to plan for something roughly 10 times more severe than a typical flu season, a worst case scenario may be 40 times worse. Many people get mild cases (perhaps 80%). In bad cases, symptoms typically noted 4 days after exposure, and one week after symptoms start is close to peak of symptoms when breathing is labored from pneumonia.
If 60 millions are infected, you are near to 20-25% of the population.

So from 1.8M to 2.5M deaths... in US alone...

In Iran, with 50M infected is another 1.5M deaths...

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Can tell you that not many people are considering going on a cruise right now.
Not many are considering visiting China, France, Italy, Iran, South Korea….

Iran wasn't ready, deeply concerning to see their Health Minister having a press conference while clearly having the symptoms. They never even thought of preparing which is why they are where they are.

South Korea is victim of a religious group who's leader was telling their followers to not listen to the gouvernement on the virus and refused to get tested….and the leader even gave a false list of members when the authority asked him to help.

Italy thought the travels bans would keep it out, again here, the first patient showed up 3 times to the same hospitals and showing symptoms each time before getting tested…..many in the hospital got infected and they infected others and they are where they are. They also where the first country outside of Asia having an outbreak.

India has less case than the US...they have 30 cases for a population of 1 339 000 000
So that's 1 billions more people than the US who are closing in the 300 cases and they are next door to China, Italy and SK.
They might do a lot better because of their weather....it's 30 plus degree there.

Calm down with the "millions of death"

The mortality is flawed at this stage. A lot of people died in China because no country could anticipated such a contagious virus which also blow out at the worst possible time. Tons of mistakes were made and that cost many life, they didn't had the equipment, no test existed yet, no idea how to treat it and the stress on the healthcare workers was impossible to deal with.
And on top of that many, if not tons of people just got a little sick and simply stayed home and recovered and never got tested.

The death rate outside of China right now stands at 1.9% and is highly influence by the age of the patient. We will get a vaccine probably in 10 to 14 months, until then, quarantined worked and will be applied all over the world if the situation calls for it.
I understand your confidence. I even find it uplifting in a way.

But the state of healthcare in US and middle east scares me.

You know the cost of test is 3K in US.
How many uninsured in US? 10M? 50 millions?

South Korea does not scare me.
Europ a little bit more.

But Iran, Iraq, Syria.
You think they will control it with war and about 5-6 millions refugees.
Then Turkey...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad