2019 Development Camp Roster

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why isn’t Angello going to be at the camp? Anyone?

They generally stop bothering to bring guys along to to them after they've done 3 or 4 of them - presumably no longer a good use of anyone's time.

Reactions: Andy99

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Doing a deep dive...

Most interesting thing about Roni Allen is that he had 10 points in 2 games for JYP U16s a long time ago.

Cam Lee - "His slap shot is a hard one and gets through traffic, but Lee isn’t bad of a distributor either. He also skates very well and uses that to stick with players or walk along the blue line during offensive pressure." That's from a profile about him at least year's Habs camp. Scores plenty of points given the teams he plays for.

Liam Ross - The guys in his prospect thread here like him - all three of them - and there's a profile here. Player who's improved late - ahead of the curve defensively thanks to IQ, skating needs work, offence might be coming into its own but needs to improve again.

Tyler Spott - Committed to NorthEastern for next season, here's some quotes from when he committed in 2016: “good puck rushing defenseman” (@RyanHPscout), “smaller mobile defender, excellent low-risk puck move[r], smart and very efficient” (@TheScoutDotCa), and “good mobility, smart on the rush” (@graindaiv).

Roman Ahcan - Speedy playmaker. From his USHL coach: “I love the way he competes, first of all. He just plays so hard,” Carlson said. “For me, I like when guys compete. He just competes, he’s a warrior. Some people make the major mistake of talking about skill first in this game. Obviously, he’s got the skill and the skating ability."

Brandon Biro - "Biro is a physical player and has a solid work ethic. Likely projects as an energy player and can play a complementary role on a scoring line." according to this thing from an Oilers' site

Matthew Boucher - One had a fight with Poulin's older brother. The Draft Analyst loved his versatility and production back in 2016; few Q fans puzzled as to why he didn't go. Hard-working agitator with a nice wrist shot.

Billy Moskal - This profile highlights IQ and skating, with a Chris Tierney comparison, but he doesn't seem to have put it together yet and a few physicality question marks

Quinn Preston - Late blossoming attacking game in the USHL, small frame

Jared Spooner - "Watch Jared Spooner play hockey and you'll see someone who plays hard and fast and rarely, if ever, slows down" according to an article from the Mankato Free Press that I can't fully access in the EU.

Eduards Tralmark - "His ability to dominate play in competitive Hockey East is one of the main reasons Tralmaks was so heavily recruited to attend NHL development camps." from an article last year

Bobby Trivigno - Got suspended for a hit last season... I got nuffink.

Josh Williams - People here were talking about him as a 1st rounder for this year, maybe even a top 10 guy, saying he was like Owen Tippett; the Hockey Writers said he looked a 1st rounder at Hlinka-Gretzky but his sniping hasn't worked in the CHL yet. Comment from his coach this year: “With Josh’s skill level, he brings an offensive game to us,” said Oil Kings’ head coach Brad Lauer. “He’s a guy that doesn’t need a lot of time to get open. His biggest thing is finding that area on the ice in the offensive zone. He’s got a shot that can beat goalies from almost anywhere. That’s one area where obviously on the power play he’s our trigger guy.

Matt Jurusik - "Jurusik isn't tremendously athletic, but he's got a big pro-style frame and is sound with his positioning which makes him very consistent." was the word on him back in 2015

Matt Murray - Well its not difficult to search for info on this kid at all. “He’s just a very calm player,” (Cale) Makar said. “Murray has a lot of that in him and he’s able to be a brick wall for us back there, and that’s what keeps us going through the entire year.” It sounds... familiar. Sign him now!

Tommy Nappier - "“He’s just calm,” Rohlik said. “He’s confident, he’s calm. He minimizes his movements and he stays big. That’s how he plays.”
Very nice.

Big thanks for putting that together.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
I would like to go the 3 on 3 tournament on Friday and wonder if it's fun to watch an how long is it and will the place be packed? Never been to one of these before.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would like to go the 3 on 3 tournament on Friday and wonder if it's fun to watch an how long is it and will the place be packed? Never been to one of these before.
Just go, take a notebook, and write down your impressions of the players and then come back on here and share...you’ll be doing a public service...muchas gracias...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
would love to have two matt murray's

Who's starting? Idk i think Matt Murray is.

Get that bum Murray out of net and put Murray in!

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Very interesting. Of the 14 defensemen invited to Dev. camp, 4 are Finnish.

Airola, Allen, Almari, and Palojarvi. And one Finnish forward, being the recently drafted Puustinen.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I kind of wonder if Matt Murray accepted the invite to the Pens on the idea that when the opening night rosters are set, he can just show up in Pittsburgh - after all, his name's there, isn't it? :lol:

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Someone that knows this prospect pool well who are the best bets to get their preseason cup of tea?

I guess most of the prospects who are signed will get at least 1 pre-season game. The older prospects like Angello, Lafferty, Miletic and Adam Johnson will probably get the longest looks during pre-season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That makes sense, maybe they sign him if he has a good season there then? Looking at the history of what NHLers New Brunswick has churned out, I'm not exactly considering him a NHL prospect anymore.

I find it weird that article calls U Sports the "NCAA of Canada", but I don't recall any NHLers of significance that came out of U Sports.

From the most recent PPG article:

Rutherford also expressed hope that Zachary Lauzon, the 2017 second-round pick whose career has been stalled by a concussion and other injuries, still has a future in Pittsburgh. The Penguins opted not to sign Lauzon earlier this month, making him a free agent, but he will be at their prospect development camp this week. "We think a lot of him. The year we drafted him, he had a really good rookie tournament in Buffalo. We really liked him,"Rutherford said. "And after that, he was dealing with injuries over and over and over again and was trying to figure out how to get totally healthy and what the issue was he was dealing with. I'd like to think that there's a pathway for him still. Based on what I saw at the rookie tournament that year, he was a guy that I could have seen playing in Pittsburgh, and I hope that's still possible. We still want to stay connected to him. From a player point of view, we believe in him. Hopefully he can get 100 percent healthy and at some point we can move forward and still sign this player."

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
From the most recent PPG article:

Rutherford also expressed hope that Zachary Lauzon, the 2017 second-round pick whose career has been stalled by a concussion and other injuries, still has a future in Pittsburgh. The Penguins opted not to sign Lauzon earlier this month, making him a free agent, but he will be at their prospect development camp this week. "We think a lot of him. The year we drafted him, he had a really good rookie tournament in Buffalo. We really liked him,"Rutherford said. "And after that, he was dealing with injuries over and over and over again and was trying to figure out how to get totally healthy and what the issue was he was dealing with. I'd like to think that there's a pathway for him still. Based on what I saw at the rookie tournament that year, he was a guy that I could have seen playing in Pittsburgh, and I hope that's still possible. We still want to stay connected to him. From a player point of view, we believe in him. Hopefully he can get 100 percent healthy and at some point we can move forward and still sign this player."

Nice talk but like Empo said, once you're in Canadian university hockey it'll take a miracle to get back to being a legit NHL prospect.

Good luck to the kid but that's a tall mountain to climb.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nice talk but like Empo said, once you're in Canadian university hockey it'll take a miracle to get back to being a legit NHL prospect.

Good luck to the kid but that's a tall mountain to climb.

I'm guessing most of the kids who ended up there never had his toolkit to begin with though. Or a GM quite so interested in him. It's a tall mountain but he's possibly got a helicopter waiting for him if he gets halfway up.

So its only very unlikely instead of near impossible.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm guessing most of the kids who ended up there never had his toolkit to begin with though. Or a GM quite so interested in him. It's a tall mountain but he's possibly got a helicopter waiting for him if he gets halfway up.

So its only very unlikely instead of near impossible.

...or his laundry list of injuries. The kid's turning 21 in a few months and has only played 30 games total in the last 2 years. This is during a critical time in his development.

It's not impossible, but I think he's all but written off as an NHL possibility at this point.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
...or his laundry list of injuries. The kid's turning 21 in a few months and has only played 30 games total in the last 2 years. This is during a critical time in his development.

It's not impossible, but I think he's all but written off as an NHL possibility at this point.

Very true. I guess anyone going will get to see how he stacks up against the guys there. If he looks as good as Lizotte or Kim, the two college guys who got AHL contracts, I think he'd still be considered an NHL possibility.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If Lauzon does well then he could potentially earn an AHL deal and then an NHL one, like has been said it is a hell of a climb but it is nice the organisation is still keeping the door open for him. Getting an AHL deal would still be a great achievement given his last few years.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Very happy to see Josh Williams on there. Hope we can sign him. The guy has some truly elite skills and looked like a no-doubt first rounder last year, but just didn’t do enough in his draft season.

Reactions: Jacob

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Very happy to see Josh Williams on there. Hope we can sign him. The guy has some truly elite skills and looked like a no-doubt first rounder last year, but just didn’t do enough in his draft season.

What's his deal? scored at the same rate as his 17 year old season.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
What's his deal? scored at the same rate as his 17 year old season.
I went into the year with high expectations. I figured he could challenge for a spot in the top-15. Then, whenever I saw him, I was disappointed. He wasn’t doing anything bad, just not really making stuff happen. Skill, skating, and work ethic is still there, though. I would have been happy enough with him in the third or fourth round; getting to take a shot on him for free would put a smile on my face.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I went into the year with high expectations. I figured he could challenge for a spot in the top-15. Then, whenever I saw him, I was disappointed. He wasn’t doing anything bad, just not really making stuff happen. Skill, skating, and work ethic is still there, though. I would have been happy enough with him in the third or fourth round; getting to take a shot on him for free would put a smile on my face.

Sounds like he could be worth a gamble if he impresses, hope he gets invited to the prospect tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob and Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad