2019 Crosby in 1985-1986

2019 Crosby in 1985-1986

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Why are people using 2 years post lockout with lots of penalties and coaches/players figuring out brand new systems as some sort of indication the guys who quickly faded out of the league (as it adjusted and players/coaches figured things out) were somehow competitive compared to Crosby. It's silly. Yes, some older guys did OK in the 2 years after a massive overhaul in how the game was played. They quickly faded to roleplayers or were forced into retirement.

Mario was 40. Now, you're putting 31 year old Sid into an environment where Mario is 20. The tables have turned. Good luck with that.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Why are people assuming Crosby would have modern sticks, skates, and training in 1985? I thought the premise was taking the person and placing them into the league in 1985, not bringing all of his gear, trainers, doctors and modern medicine with him.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I mean, are we teleporting modern day Sid to the 80s or are we talking about if Sid had been born 25 years earlier and actually played in the 80s?

If it's the former, I think he would get 250-300 points, quite possibly more. 200 is a given, you're telling me he couldn't at least double his point total if he was put into a game with WAY worse defense, goaltending, coaching, skating, shooting, etc? Players today are so much stronger, faster, etc than even the best players back then. Just watch 80s highlights, as someone else said it looks like an old timers game compared to the modern product. Sid's skating and edgework would allow him to literally skate through and around defenses with relative ease.

If it's the latter I don't think he would be as good as Wayne or Mario, but still a star player. 150+ points consistently.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Crosby with his current conditioning and equipment absolutely wipes the floor with everyone else in the league. He would dominate literally every facet of the game. This shouldn’t even be a question if he plays the full season, he eclipses 215 in a heartbeat

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
he wouldn't be able to hang in the 80s. He came up in the softest era in NHL history. Anyway these threads are among the DUMBEST that keep popping up on this site. Eveyone's convince that any 4th liner today would be the GOAT back then. Guess what, we'll never know for sure.

Reactions: Voight

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
How are there people actually voting over 215 points? Crosby's hockey IQ isn't even in the same stratosphere as Gretzky. Heck Lemieux, someone with better tools/physical abilities than Crosby couldn't pull off 200 points.

Mario had multiple seasons where he was on pace for over 200 points, including one that would have topped Gretzky's single season record. It was injuries that stopped Mario from hitting 200.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Mario had multiple seasons where he was on pace for over 200 points, including one that would have topped Gretzky's single season record. It was injuries that stopped Mario from hitting 200.

Even in his healthy seasons he never really came close except for '89. In 1986 + 1988 he played almost all games and still didn't come close.

Even in 92 & 93 where he scored a ton of points while missing 1/4 of the season... don't think he scores an extra 60 or 40 points in those missed games to reach 200.

& FYI, Gretzky scored 200+ in 1984 despite missing 6 games...

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Modern equipment helps tremendously. Give him that and all bets are off.

But - give it only to him and no one else? That just seems outrageous and unfair.
And if he goes back in time and has to use old equipment? That's even more of a handicap for him - as he's not used to that equipment (it's like if you bring 1980s Gretzky to 2019 - even if the newer equipment is an advantage, he needs time to adjust, so it's a bit of a handicap initially).

There's really not been that much advances in training/conditioning let alone actual human evolution in 30 years that it would be some crazy benefit. it's more about the modern equipment and such.

But if you put Sidney Crosby from 2019 in 1986 with equipment of back then (give him a bit of time to adjust first to avoid any issues) - and allow him to play in an offense first environment (ie 80s is all about offense, very little attention to defense) - and if he gets to play with decent enough linemates/team - I'd say he could very, very comfortable surpass 150 points.
Maybe he could go as high as ~170-180.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Even in his healthy seasons he never really came close except for '89. In 1986 + 1988 he played almost all games and still didn't come close.

Even in 92 & 93 where he scored a ton of points while missing 1/4 of the season... don't think he scores an extra 60 or 40 points in those missed games to reach 200.

Mario wasn't super mario until approx ~1988. That's when he hit another level. Not everyone starts their career as strong as Gretzky (or Crosby, or McDavid) have. Mario didn't. His best chance at 200+ came between 1989 to ~ 1995. He only had the one 1989 season that was a full year. The rest of the time he was battling chronic back issues when he played - and missed a ton of games in between,

Also - did you seriously just say that in 1993 if Mario Lemieux played 40 more games he wouldn't score 60 more points?

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

He had 160 points in 60 games one year. Do the math on that season; it's crazy. He likely would had set both the goals and points records that season and was right in his prime. 60 games is not a small sample size that can be written off as unsustainable. He also had 199 points in a year where he missed some time. That was another guaranteed 200+ point season.

This is all before you factor in that the injuries and cancer treatments most certainly slowed him down in a lot of the games he wasn't missing. I have no doubt Mario would own some of Gretzky's single season records if he was healthier. That's how talented that guy was.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Mario wasn't super mario until approx ~1988. That's when he hit another level. Not everyone starts their career as strong as Gretzky (or Crosby, or McDavid) have. Mario didn't. His best chance at 200+ came between 1989 to ~ 1995. He only had the one 1989 season that was a full year. The rest of the time he was battling chronic back issues when he played - and missed a ton of games in between,

Also - did you seriously just say that in 1993 if Mario Lemieux played 40 more games he wouldn't score 60 more points?

I'm not saying it was impossible, my point was it wasn't a foregone conclusion no matter how great he was that year or how high his PPG was. I'm not going to assume he was going to score another 60 points, it was pretty likely but I won't "count" that as a 200 point year nor agree that it would have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad