2019 Crosby in 1985-1986

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

2019 Crosby in 1985-1986

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
hed do circles around all 5 players + the goalie on his way to a 250 point season

all you have to do is look at Gretzky vs Crosby highlights.... it wont take a genius to see what Crosby would do in the 80s

How many points do you think CMD would score in the 80s then? 300?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'm not sure what his numbers would turn out to be eventually, but there's something that needs to be considered here. Like in war, man adapts very quickly in order to survive. In WWII, the Germans led in jet engine technology, so this forced the allies to play catch-up very quickly. The same would happen here. Teams and players would see Crosby's composite stick and high tech skates, and within months, the rest of the league would have them. Players would watch him downing a protein shake, and stop having a steak, beer, and cigarettes before a game. And players would start copying his workout regimen. At the end of the year, Gretzky would still be a better player than Crosby.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
He would demolish Gretzky's records. Crosby adapted his game to fit the current NHL but lets remember he was and still is really fast going north-south. Crosby teleported back to 1985 would be the fastest player in the league.

He would fly by the pylons and crappy defense/teams of the 80s. The league quadrupled in size over the later half of the 20th century. It has added 1 team over the past 18 years. Could you imagine if the league doubled in size in the 2 decades before Crosby's career and then went on to double again over his career? Crosby, Ovechkin and other elite players would be setting records. Now when you take their skill-set and their training habits, gear and determination and put it in 1985? They demolish Gretzky's records.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I'm not sure what his numbers would turn out to be eventually, but there's something that needs to be considered here. Like in war, man adapts very quickly in order to survive. In WWII, the Germans led in jet engine technology, so this forced the allies to play catch-up very quickly. The same would happen here. Teams and players would see Crosby's composite stick and high tech skates, and within months, the rest of the league would have them. Players would watch him downing a protein shake, and stop having a steak, beer, and cigarettes before a game. And players would start copying his workout regimen. At the end of the year, Gretzky would still be a better player than Crosby.

Theyd be better, sure, but would still never be better than Sid. Big difference is that Crosby faced MUCH MUCH better defence and goaltending today. It would a total joke to him to play in the 80s.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
cus athletes are much better athleticallly now than they were 20+ years ago. Thats not even considering Crosby's hockey IQ which is just eons above anyone from the 80s.

Orr and Gretzky were hands down the greatest of their respective eras, but to compare ANY athlete from past to present day is a joke. Look a Orr and Gretzky's goals from back then. Let alone their shots were nothing special (compared to players today), the defence and goaltending were worse than today's junior players..... Crosby in the 80s would jsut be too easy from him.

Ever watch the Canada Cup from 70s or 80s (ie the greatest players in the world)? Its almost equivalent to a present day old-timers game.
The only difference between Sid and Orr is terms of athlete is the 70's skates and equipment. Give Orr Sid's level of equipment and see how he does. You can't tell me that Orr isn't a better skater than Karlsson or at least on the same level. And I dunno if you can say that athletes of the future are always better because they are not. I'm convinced that if Mayweather in his prime fought a top ranked boxer in 2040 he would still win easily. A generational level athlete with a solid technique will excel in any era. Ali wouldn't because his technique is crap in modern day.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
The only difference between Sid and Orr is terms of athlete is the 70's skates and equipment. Give Orr Sid's level of equipment and see how he does. You can't tell me that Orr isn't a better skater than Karlsson or at least on the same level. And I dunno if you can say that athletes of the future are always better because they are not. I'm convinced that if Mayweather in his prime fought a top ranked boxer in 2040 he would still win easily. A generational level athlete with a solid technique will excel in any era. Ali wouldn't because his technique is crap in modern day.
You really think Orr could adapt THAT fast to facing todays D and goaltending after years of playing in the 60s and 70s? Theres just no way. Not even close.... Would take him years to "re-learn" the game.

Again, look at a Canada Cup game from the 70s. Its not their "poor equipment" that makes their game so slow, its just how it was. They werent as fast and athletic. Its a fact.

I dont agree at all with your comparison to boxing (or any sport for that matter). World records always get broken for a reason. The only possible exception are precision sports, such as darts or bowling.... ANyway, agree to disagree.

Last edited:

illpucks

May 26, 2011
You really think Orr could adapt THAT fast to facing todays D and goaltending after years of playing in the 60s and 70s? Theres just no way. Not even close.... Would take him years to "re-learn" the game.

Again, look at a Canada Cup game from the 70s. Its not their "poor equipment" that makes their game so slow, its just how it was. They werent as fast and athletic. Its a fact.

I dont agree at all with your comparison to boxing (or any sport for that matter). World records always get broken for a reason. The only possible exception are precision sports, such as darts or bowling.... ANyway, agree to disagree.

Hockey has gotten harder because the game is now faster and players overall are better skilled. But Orr was already fast so he wouldn't have an issue to keep pace today. The slower athletes from that time would have problems. Just as Sid might have issues playing with the red line or issues with dealing with this caliber of dirty interference that went on back then
Like seriously how would Sid deal with this?

And with regards to boxing it's not saying all top boxers today can win in 2040 but one specific one. Mayweather is best defensive fighter all time, and he is lighting fast, absurd IQ, and has a computer in his brain. His computer brain and his generational ability to not take damage to the head will keep him on top then. Fighters like Pacquaio would get destroyed because his brawler technique would be primitive with advances in the sport. So generational athletes that have some special attribute should always do well. Like you can't tell me Hasek cannot win a Vezina in today's NHL because 2019 NHL is more developed than 1999. He had a special attribute.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Theyd be better, sure, but would still never be better than Sid. Big difference is that Crosby faced MUCH MUCH better defence and goaltending today. It would a total joke to him to play in the 80s.

Sid would be better than everyone except for Wayne and Mario. Don't forget, Mario actually shared the ice with Sid at the very end of his career, putting up a respectable 22 in 26 as a broken down shadow of himself. It's not like Mario played a hundred years ago. I'll go with 20 year old Mario over 31 year old Sid, but it might be close. 85-86 Gretzky, forget it.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It's not as simple figuring this out as some make it out to be and there's no way top know for sure.

Crosby didn't play in the 90s or 80s, but one proxy comparison we can make is this: Sakic scored 100 points in 2007 (only 20 fewer than Crosby). You would think a guy that good in Sid's era would have totally wrecked the League in the 80s and early 90s, right? But Joe "only" put up two more points (102) in the 1990 season and he played the full schedule. He only had 62 points in 70 games in 1989. And yes, he was young in those seasons, but he was also older than 35 in 2007 when he put up 100 points.

Reactions: illpucks

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You say “2019 Crosby” so I’m considering him playing then with his current gear.

At a stroke, he’d be the best skating and shooting player in the league by a country mile, and one of the strongest, too. Not to mention the best conditioned.

In this situation, I would say he would best 215 points.

400 points. Literally. just look at the goalies now vs then. He would tear it up so much.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Sid would be better than everyone except for Wayne and Mario. Don't forget, Mario actually shared the ice with Sid at the very end of his career, putting up a respectable 22 in 26 as a broken down shadow of himself. It's not like Mario played a hundred years ago. I'll go with 20 year old Mario over 31 year old Sid, but it might be close. 85-86 Gretzky, forget it.

Why are people using 2 years post lockout with lots of penalties and coaches/players figuring out brand new systems as some sort of indication the guys who quickly faded out of the league (as it adjusted and players/coaches figured things out) were somehow competitive compared to Crosby. It's silly. Yes, some older guys did OK in the 2 years after a massive overhaul in how the game was played. They quickly faded to roleplayers or were forced into retirement.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Like seriously how would Sid deal with this?

That clip is still the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted as some indication of clutching and grabbing. How smart does one have to be to think there isn't all sorts of tugging, grabbing, holding and interference going on when a star player today touches the puck? The only difference is they don't flop like Lemieux when it happens.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
That clip is still the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted as some indication of clutching and grabbing. How smart does one have to be to think there isn't all sorts of tugging, grabbing, holding and interference going on when a star player today touches the puck? The only difference is they don't flop like Lemieux when it happens.

You think plays like that are common place in today's NHL? There are literally 7 or 8 penalties that that Nordiques player took on the play and you are literally sitting behind your keyboard and calling it the "most ridicolous thing I have ever seen as some indication of clutching and grabbing". Are you serious? What that play shows is the refs were not calling penalties like today. Tom Wilson's 20 game suspension would not even be a penalty.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Crosby isn't even close to Gretzky and wouldn't even hit 200 pts. Lemieux was much better than Crosby is, and he hit 199 once.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
hed do circles around all 5 players + the goalie on his way to a 250 point season

all you have to do is look at Gretzky vs Crosby highlights.... it wont take a genius to see what Crosby would do in the 80s

Crosby would have the 80s skates, sticks and most importantly the training back in the 80s which is a far cry from now. Gretzky's hockey IQ is unmatched, and Crosby isn't even close. Hockey IQ is not something you can just train and get better at. Maybe he hits 160 pts, he doesn't even sniff 200. Lemieux was far superior and had 1, 199 pt season.

The OP says 2019 Crosby playing back then, but that isn't possible. You would then have to account for the reverse with Gretzky, Orr and Lemieux playing now, having the equipment and training of now, and they were superior in hockey IQ to Crosby. Crosby hasn't dominated his peers, like those 3 did, and not even close.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Crosby would have the 80s skates, sticks and most importantly the training back in the 80s which is a far cry from now. Gretzky's hockey IQ is unmatched, and Crosby isn't even close. Hockey IQ is not something you can just train and get better at. Maybe he hits 160 pts, he doesn't even sniff 200. Lemieux was far superior and had 1, 199 pt season.

The OP says 2019 Crosby playing back then, but that isn't possible. You would then have to account for the reverse with Gretzky, Orr and Lemieux playing now, having the equipment and training of now, and they were superior in hockey IQ to Crosby. Crosby hasn't dominated his peers, like those 3 did, and not even close.

Well the other way of looking at it is Crosby is basically like a cheater in this scenario. He has all the knowledge of the modern NHL, and has trained on how to snipe goalies in 2019 but the 80s players have no idea about 2019 hockey. To transfer him to the 80's would be like knowing the lottery numbers. The problem is the crappy equipment might be like knowing the lottery winning numbers, buying the ticket and then ripping it up ticket.

If Crosby has trained on how to snipe goalies in 2019 and is sent down with modern equipment, if he was to work as hard as he does now he probably averages 4-5 points per game minimum and gets 330 - 410 points over 82. Even 7 points per game and 574 points over 82 is not impossible with all the knowledge and modern equipment. With the equipment change (crappy skates, wooden sticks), the numbers might come down significantly to under 180.

If Sid could do this in 2017 just imagine how much destruction he could cause 80s goalies.

But again it depends on having 2017 equipment.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Crosby is not as good as Gretzky, never was, never will be. He's as good as guys like Sakic and Yzerman and Clarke and Esposito and Lafleur. He's just not on the level of Gretzky, only Orr and Mario were. He would not score as many points as Gretzky.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

If Crosby knew then what he knows now the game would be too easy for him. 80's D and goaltending is a complete joke to today's, it doesnt take a genius to see that. The 80s highlights tell all.... D was slow, systems were poor, and the goaltending was so bad it cant be compared. I can just imagine them facing a shot from Crosby even with old sticks. Its a night and day comparison in terms of overall D. He would be too fast for Dmen, already hes the best player out of the corners TODAY, and goalies wouldnt stand a chance. It would be like going from the NHL to juniors for Crosby (or any elite player).

Go look at Gretzky highlights from the 80s.... you cant tell me Crosby couldnt be better. I think 90% of Gretzky's goals would be stopped in today's game.

That all said, of course Gretzky was the greatest of his era, and probably ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Assuming he has current gear and conditioning, I think he would dominate like he did during his Oceanic days in the juniors. He’d be close to Gretzky’s point record.

But if we do the same exercice with 2010 Crosby, I’m sure he would smash every Gretzky’s records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad