• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 76 18.1%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Considering many D drafted usually don’t see the nhl for 2-3 years I do t think that should be too big an issue
Well given that Werenski is going to be 27 years old soon, Jiricek just had his 20 year old season, Mateychuk is turning 20 soon, and Severson has 7 years left with a NTC, it's fair to assume that they will be there for a while unless they trade Mateychuk.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Dickinson quite a bit better hands than Guhle. He's bigger, 4 years younger and 2 less concussions
Is the difference between Guhle and Dickinson so vast that it’s worth a 5th overall pick? Isn’t it more prudent to use a 5th overall pick on a player type we don’t have? Or one that we sorely lack? Because two-way physical defencemen isn’t really something the Habs need. Offence is a need. Forwards are a need.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Well given that Werenski is going to be 27 years old soon, Jiricek just had his 20 year old season, Mateychuk is turning 20 soon, and Severson has 7 years left with a NTC, it's fair to assume that they will be there for a while unless they trade Mateychuk.
Werenski has had a few injuries and NTCs haven’t stopped trades before. Add to the fact that players slide down pairings over the years, I’d say if BPA for what they see is a D, you draft a D

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
There's been a shift in the betting odds for the 5th overall pick.
Now Sennecke ahead of Demidov, he was behind Catton last week.

1718565377553.png

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Werenski has had a few injuries and NTCs haven’t stopped trades before. Add to the fact that players slide down pairings over the years, I’d say if BPA for what they see is a D, you draft a D
He's also the best player on the team at 26 still playing at an elite level. They overpaid for him with his contract at the time because they love him there. Sure he could want out at some point, but you don't draft a player based on this assumption. It would be like us drafting a center because Suzuki might not be a Hab in a couple of years, it's highly unlikely.

Reactions: Andrei79

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Your obsession with Kotkaniemi is well documented here and irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
You spent months parroting that Slafkovsky only had 10 points his draft year and was a bust. He was better than KK on draft day despite lower numbers in Liiga. That’s one point I was making.

The poster said Guhle never once had similar numbers to Dickinson at any point in his CHL career. I just proved that statement was false. Your contribution that Dickinson>Guhle on draft day was irrelevant, it had nothing to do with the topic in hand.

Reactions: phillytennis

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
You spent months parroting that Slafkovsky only had 10 points his draft year and was a bust. He was better than KK on draft day despite lower numbers in Liiga. That’s one point I was making.
I never said Slafkovsky is a bust (especially not before the draft even happened). I said I don’t think he is safe enough to risk with the 1OA given his CV.

And no that’s not the point you thought you were making.
The poster said Guhle never once had similar numbers to Dickinson at any point in his CHL career. I just proved that statement was false. Your contribution that Dickinson>Guhle on draft day was irrelevant, it had nothing to do with the topic in hand.
In their respective draft seasons, given their many similarities (similarities Kotkaniemi and Slafkovsky did not share), their point production *is* germane to the discussion. Dickinson significantly outproduced Guhle. They’re not comparable as draft day prospects.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
In their respective draft seasons, given their many similarities (similarities Kotkaniemi and Slafkovsky did not share), their point production *is* germane to the discussion. Dickinson significantly outproduced Guhle. They’re not comparable as draft day prospects.
That wasn’t what was being talked about. You inserted yourself at the end of a discussion.

And that’s fresh, you saying you never said Slaf was a bust :laugh:

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
They can't afford to slap single it. Go out and overpay Debrusk if you're so worried about having a high floor guy. This is our last chance picking top 5. The ceiling has to come first here.

What I meant is out of all the top 10-12 projected forwards, you take the one that both projected to be the piece the Habs need the most plus doesn't have any risk factor. For example, I don't see demidov as having risk, I don't see Iginla as having risk, besides his back injury, I don't see slindstrom as having risk. I do see that with Catton, I do see that with riserman, I do see that with sennecke. So I would probably prefer the former players to the latter

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
That wasn’t what was being talked about. You inserted yourself at the end of a discussion.
Take it to DMs if you’re afraid of basic hockey talk.
And that’s fresh, you saying you never said Slaf was a bust :laugh:
I don’t like bickering. Why are you bickering? Just stick to hockey talk. It’s much more entertaining and enjoyable. Give it a try.

No smearing teenagers, no unnecessary sarcasm, no irrelevant nonsense. Keep it simple.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Take it to DMs if you’re afraid of basic hockey talk.

I don’t like bickering. Why are you bickering? Just stick to hockey talk. It’s much more entertaining and enjoyable. Give it a try.

No smearing teenagers, no unnecessary sarcasm, no irrelevant nonsense. Keep it simple.
:laugh:

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
It is hilarious that there is nowhere near a consensus here for our pick.
It is not even 2 camps...but more like 8 camps.
Even players many of us prayed would fall like Lindstrom and Demidov are now not good picks.
Small players? Bad pick.
Defence? Bad pick.
Risers? Bad pick.
Safe high floor? Bad pick.

There will be a lot of angry Habs fans come draft day.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017

skidcells

May 11, 2023
It is hilarious that there is nowhere near a consensus here for our pick.
It is not even 2 camps...but more like 8 camps.
Even players many of us prayed would fall like Lindstrom and Demidov are now not good picks.
Small players? Bad pick.
Defence? Bad pick.
Risers? Bad pick.
Safe high floor? Bad pick.

There will be a lot of angry Habs fans come draft day.
It’s the slaf draft all over again but with even more camps. There’s going to be a lot of complaining after the draft that’s for sure. We won’t know on draft day but I hope they ultimately chose the right one.

Reactions: McGees

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
If all those forwards are gone, you gotta go Buium. He’s a game breaker.

He's great, but Silayev and Dickinson also have the potential to be very valuable players. The kind that you can put in any situation, including against strong physical players. Silayev gets the shaft here but the way he played defense this year and the quality of his skating has to be taken into account.

Reactions: The Great Weal

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Sennecke is much more rare than Iginla. If Iggy Jr was a clone of iggy Sr, then he might challenging for.1st overall..

I don't know that he is. A puck hound like Iginla with his compete, shooting skills, IQ and pro game is pretty unique. I don't think we quite know what Sennecke is yet and that might turn off some teams while be very interesting to others who, like Slaf, feel they can add to his game.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Sennecke is much more rare than Iginla. If Iggy Jr was a clone of iggy Sr, then he might challenging for.1st overall..
I tend to trust the argument that he’s a late riser due to his physical growth etc etc but that doesn’t make him any less of a project and there are so many prospects worthy of going top5 it’s hard to justify picking him at 5

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I tend to trust the argument that he’s a late riser due to his physical growth etc etc but that doesn’t make him any less of a project and there are so many prospects worthy of going top5 it’s hard to justify picking him at 5
And he's one of those prospects. Hell teams ahead of us are fans of Sennecke too. It's a weird draft, even the Hawks don't really know who to take and I feel like we would be in a similar position if we won the 2nd OA.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
He's great, but Silayev and Dickinson also have the potential to be very valuable players. The kind that you can put in any situation, including against strong physical players. Silayev gets the shaft here but the way he played defense this year and the quality of his skating has to be taken into account.
What Silayev has done is nearly unprecedented. Whoever picks him will have a new number 1 prospect in their prospect pool. And within a few years they’ll have a new top3 dman.

Dickinson is a different story— he’s a safe bet with a very high floor and appropriately high ceiling. His defensive performance is excellent.

And he's one of those prospects. Hell teams ahead of us are fans of Sennecke too. It's a weird draft, even the Hawks don't really know who to take and I feel like we would be in a similar position if we won the 2nd OA.
Everything after 1 is difficult to predict. I don’t think Sennecke is *safe* enough to pick top5 but he could certainly have the upside of a top5 pick in the eyes of an intrepid hockey team.

Reactions: Jaynki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad