Salary Cap: 2019-2020 Salary Cap Crunch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The point people are making is that marleau was offered 1 year by she. The leafs gave him 3. No one is actually suggesting he goes and plays for Arizona in his last year.

Now, I'll agree if Marleau is playing poorly he may want to retire then I can see the scenario that you suggest. Retire and then his cap gets traded to a cap needy team.

But it appears that Marleau is going to be a competent player, so he has no desire to retire and would like to finish his career on Cup contender. So, this speculation is largely fuelled by fan Leafs wanting to get 6.25m in cap space so they can make their projected rosters. I think "the get rid of Marleau and his cap hit " is so slanted towards what the Toronto Maple Leafs want (and there making a projected roster fans) , not what Marleau wants.

. But we have seen "forever" good players who have big money earnings in their careers, hang on and sign minimum contracts because they want to stay in the game as long as they can before they retire. To think Marleau is just going to quit playing pro hockey in 2019/20 is goes against logic and past history of pro athletes and the contract of Marleau. We'll see next summer, but I can't see him retiring.

Regarding the cap in 2019/20. Leafs have cap space to sign their ELC and RFAa. Gardiner likely can't be resigned for cap reasons. Leafs are going to have to make a decision, keep the expensive forward group and go with an young, inexpensive defence or maybe a high priced forward will have to traded for cap reasons if a expensive Dman is needed.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yes prongers is real. Sure. I was making the point that tons of contracts get moved for cap space. It happens. It was going to happen. Their are circumvention rules for a reason. They made cap penalties etc specifically due to the fact that people were signing contracts that they had no intention of playing on. To act like players and teams sign contracts and have every intention of fulfilling them is nuts.

As for Hossa. Good lord. It was a coincidence? He played the FULL season. He never left halfway through. He was never ruled out of a single game. If you think his condition just got too dangerous in the offseason when he wasn’t wearing equipment? Come on......... why wasn’t it to dangerous in April? When specifically did it become to dangerous? When he was not skating?

Regardless. This is about marleau. rignt now. He has 2 years left on his deal. He has a NMC. It is also structured so that he makes 17 million before the start of the third year. Some have speculated that he wasn’t going to fulfil the contract.

As far as you know he has NO intention of playing the third year. He could have picked up and moved his family for 2 years instead of 3.

1.) lou specifically said they had a unique opportunity to add a player of this caliber while the kids were on a elc. They knew they would have to sign them. They extended the contract beyond the ELC.

2.) they knew they had marleau and the ELC and they still signed Tavares. They managed to convince him that they could afford to keep the core

They have a plan. They have repeatedly said they are comfortable with the cap and they keep adding players, when it seems like they can’t with marleau in it. He seems like the most logical out. They may have a different plan. We don’t know.

hossa's skin disease was verified by doctors. even though you disagree with it, it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong when you say it his medical condition wasn't legit. he's been treating it for years and other players have acquired it before.

as i've stated before many times, marleau has a nmc in his last season of his contract. he dictates whether he gets traded, and where he gets traded if he wants to be dealt. he could have avoided having a nmc on his last season but he did not.

you can't say he has NO intention of playing the third year because that's evidently false and extremely stupid. if he didn't want to play the third year, he wouldn't have signed a 3 year contract with the leafs. he would have just taken a 2 year deal to stay with the sharks, but he did not do that. he took a 3 year deal to play with the leafs so he can get a chance to win a cup. he has an intention to play out the third season.

the team repeatedly saying they they are comfortable with the cap holds no substance whatsoever. of course the team is going to say that. it would be illogical to say otherwise. on top of that, they only added 1 player with marleau in it and it and at no point did it ever seem like the leafs couldn't add more players.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Please post anywhere where were I said anything of the sort. I clearly stated that after July 1 of 2019 he will only be owed 1.25m and I can not see him playing the season for that money nor do I think the Leafs expect him to. Nothing more then that. Trading his contract if he retires would be easy His cap hit is 6.25 m but his salary reminding is 1.25 saving a team 5 m if they need to get to the floor. Those are the numbers.
It's not what you said, but what you didn't say - By saying he's not going to play for $1.25M, and focusing entirely on the salary structure of that one final year, you're ignoring the fact that, by that 3rd year, he will have already played 2 seasons for $1.5M each. If it was simply about making sure the final year of his contract was tradeable, then why did they structure the first 2 years in exactly the same function?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Re Marleau and that 3rd year,

Don’t think anyone can say with certainty either way. He’s a competitive (and seemingly healthy) guy who may very well want to keep playing. That said, it’s pretty hard to deny the structure of his contract seems structured to be moveable for that third year.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Re Marleau and that 3rd year,

Don’t think anyone can say with certainty either way. He’s a competitive (and seemingly healthy) guy who may very well want to keep playing. That said, it’s pretty hard to deny the structure of his contract seems structured to be moveable for that third year.
it easy to deny it. his third season is structured the same as his first two seasons

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
hossa's skin disease was verified by doctors. even though you disagree with it, it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong when you say it his medical condition wasn't legit. he's been treating it for years and other players have acquired it before.

as i've stated before many times, marleau has a nmc in his last season of his contract. he dictates whether he gets traded, and where he gets traded if he wants to be dealt. he could have avoided having a nmc on his last season but he did not.

you can't say he has NO intention of playing the third year because that's evidently false and extremely stupid. if he didn't want to play the third year, he wouldn't have signed a 3 year contract with the leafs. he would have just taken a 2 year deal to stay with the sharks, but he did not do that. he took a 3 year deal to play with the leafs so he can get a chance to win a cup. he has an intention to play out the third season.

the team repeatedly saying they they are comfortable with the cap holds no substance whatsoever. of course the team is going to say that. it would be illogical to say otherwise. on top of that, they only added 1 player with marleau in it and it and at no point did it ever seem like the leafs couldn't add more players.

Exactly. He has had a verifiable skin conditon for YEARS. No one is saying he doesn’t. He played with it until
It got to a 1 million dollar contract. Now 2 months into the offseason it just happens to become this life threatening medical conditon? And not only that. It becomes so incredibly untreatable that he has NO chance of getting better or trying alternative treatments for the next bunch of years? Or you think he is actively trying to get onto the coyotes roster? If the contract was back loaded do you honestly think that he would not play for 10 million?

Fact is these contracts happen all the time. Weber was really going to play until 40 whatever for a million? There are tons of examples or they wouldn’t have made recapture penalties.

I am not saying I know that he won’t want to play the third year. I am saying there are legit signs that point to it. They can lie to the media that things are fine. Ok I agree. But . They just convinced signed the highest UFA contract in the cap era. And they did it after the marleau signing. They had to convince Tavares that they could fit them all in and field a competitive team. He specifically said that he asked them to show him how they would keep the core. They obviously have a plan that convinced JT.

You are so sure the leafs can’t win with this D. Tavares thinks they can keep the core. Get better and win. The money has to be coming from somewhere. This is a realistic possibility.

The possibility is that he said. “I want to play 2 more years.” The leafs tacked on the third to lower the hit. Just like teams do all the time. We will see

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Exactly. He has had a verifiable skin conditon for YEARS. No one is saying he doesn’t. He played with it until
It got to a 1 million dollar contract. Now 2 months into the offseason it just happens to become this life threatening medical conditon? And not only that. It becomes so incredibly untreatable that he has NO chance of getting better or trying alternative treatments for the next bunch of years? Or you think he is actively trying to get onto the coyotes roster? If the contract was back loaded do you honestly think that he would not play for 10 million?

Fact is these contracts happen all the time. Weber was really going to play until 40 whatever for a million? There are tons of examples or they wouldn’t have made recapture penalties.

I am not saying I know that he won’t want to play the third year. I am saying there are legit signs that point to it. They can lie to the media that things are fine. Ok I agree. But . They just convinced signed the highest UFA contract in the cap era. And they did it after the marleau signing. They had to convince Tavares that they could fit them all in and field a competitive team. He specifically said that he asked them to show him how they would keep the core. They obviously have a plan that convinced JT.

You are so sure the leafs can’t win with this D. Tavares thinks they can keep the core. Get better and win. The money has to be coming from somewhere. This is a realistic possibility.

The possibility is that he said. “I want to play 2 more years.” The leafs tacked on the third to lower the hit. Just like teams do all the time. We will see

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It's not what you said, but what you didn't say - By saying he's not going to play for $1.25M, and focusing entirely on the salary structure of that one final year, you're ignoring the fact that, by that 3rd year, he will have already played 2 seasons for $1.5M each. If it was simply about making sure the final year of his contract was tradeable, then why did they structure the first 2 years in exactly the same function?
Lol in two years he would have already played for 17.5m in total. His first two years include bonus money paid after the season on July 1st. After July 1 of 2019 the remaining amount owed on his contract is 1.25m that is no more bonus money nothing but 1.25m after receiving 17.50m in his first two years. Really is not difficult to understand as I said it every time.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
it easy to deny it. his third season is structured the same as his first two seasons
Not even close are they the same. After this coming season on July 1 st he will only be owed 1.25 m.

Right now he is owed 6.75m of his contract. His salary this year of 1.5m plus a bonus of 3m on July 1, 2019.

The last season he would be owed just 1.25m

His first season he was paid 13m before settling foot on the ice this year.

Tell me again how they are the same.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Lou really f***ed us with the 3 year full NMC deal for Marleau. Wouldn’t be surprised if that was a significant part of Shanny semi-firing him. If it had even had a limited NMC in the 3rd year (15 team list or some such thing), we’d be in way better shape.

As is, Dubas is going to have to try real hard to get Marleau to accept a trade. Probably deal Zaitsev too. If Marleau won’t accept a trade, we’re going to have to deal some good pieces that we really don’t want to move :/

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lou really ****ed us with the 3 year full NMC deal for Marleau. Wouldn’t be surprised if that was a significant part of Shanny semi-firing him. If it had even had a limited NMC in the 3rd year (15 team list or some such thing), we’d be in way better shape.

As is, Dubas is going to have to try real hard to get Marleau to accept a trade. Probably deal Zaitsev too. If Marleau won’t accept a trade, we’re going to have to deal some good pieces that we really don’t want to move :/

What do you think he told JT when he specifically asked how they plan on keeping the core together? Actually curious as to what the options are. The most clear seems to be marleau is leaving.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Lou really ****ed us with the 3 year full NMC deal for Marleau. Wouldn’t be surprised if that was a significant part of Shanny semi-firing him. If it had even had a limited NMC in the 3rd year (15 team list or some such thing), we’d be in way better shape.

His contract right now is un-tradeable. Zaitsev played like a 6th-7th defenseman last year. His worth based on last year is 1 million-1.5 million.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I honestly believe that it will be tight especially if the speculation regarding the big three is true regarding their approximate cap hit. Personally I think we can expect:

• The cap to go up approximately 5 million, I suspect that the players may also push for a high inflator as they will want the cap to be as high as possible for the new CBA
  • We will likely be using Horton’s LTIR which is another 5.3
  • I really see us moving on from Gardiner
  • Most of the players we need to sign are 3rd and 4 th liners and obviously D
  • D is likely the biggest unknown and we really need Dermott to show the poise to make it into our top 4. We also need Liljegren to make the jump.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Lol in two years he would have already played for 17.5m in total. His first two years include bonus money paid after the season on July 1st. After July 1 of 2019 the remaining amount owed on his contract is 1.25m that is no more bonus money nothing but 1.25m after receiving 17.50m in his first two years. Really is not difficult to understand as I said it every time.
Nothing about what you've said is difficult to understand - No one is confused about how much money he's playing for between July 2nd, 2019, and June 30th, 2020.

What I'm saying is that he played from July 2nd, 2017, to June 30th, 2018, for about the same amount of money, as well as from July 2nd, 2018, to June 30th, 2019.

If the sole purpose of ensuring he only needed to be paid $1.25M in his final year was so that his contract could be moved off the books, then why were the first 2 years structured in exactly the same way, when they didn't need to be?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Considering another $4-5M increase to the cap would mean that we could re-sign Gardiner ($6M) and Johnsoon (<$2M), replace Ennis, Hainsey and Carrick with Grundstrom, Rosen and Liljegren, and retain all current 2019/20 contracts without issue (provided we get our big 3 kids locked up for ~$24M) I would suggest waiting until we've seen what kind of cap space we're dealing with before freaking out over having to lose anybody.

Reactions: iSophagus

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree...but I still think Draisaitl as an RFA is overpaid at $8.5 million, despite being a centre...Kucherov is only getting paid $1 million and is alot more impactful.

I'm fearing the Leafs will soon be following down the same Edmonton model (McDavid & Draisaitl contracts) as comparables for Matthews and Marner, rather than they will be using the TB model, where it appears they're getting their high-end players signed to value added cap contracts.

- Leafs sign JT (84 points 16th in NHL scoring) to $11 mil AAV and TB resigns Stamkos (86 points 12th in scoring) to $8.5 mil (TB free cap +$2.5 mil)
- TB resigns Kucherov (100 points 3rd in NHL scoring) to $9.5 mil AAV and Matthews lands between Eichel @$10 mil and McDavid @ $12.5 mil AAV.
- TB re-signs Hedman (Norris trophy winning Dman and top goal scorer) to $7.85 mil and Marner uses Draisaitl as his comparable and comes in around $8.5 mil AAV.

Leafs very well might be paying Auston, Mitch and Willie ~ $25 mil combined (never mind JT) and that is the same as TB is paying their elite 3 of Stammer, Kuch and Hedman)

You can use other examples as well like Boston. Their top line of Marchand (85 points 13th in NHL scoring) @ $6.125 mil + Pastrnak (80 points 21st in scoring) @ $6.67 mil AAV & Bergeron (63 points in 64 games & 3 X Selke winner) @ $6.87 mil... Will the Leafs even get Nylander under contract long-term at these value added contracts of the Bruins top players?

Matthews and Marner may produce like Marchand and Pastrnak with 80+ points each but they will soon be doing it a ~$20 mil combined cap and not $12.8 mil of the Bruins players (Matthews himself cap wise might be closer to Marchand and Pastrnak combined) while the entire Bruins top line comes in at $19.66 mil.

If Leafs follow the Edmonton contract path their direct Div competition of TB and Boston alone are gaining a further Cap advantage with each Leaf re-signing.

TB top 3 @$25.8 mil vs Boston top 3 @ $19.7 mil vs JT+AM+MM for ~$30 mil combined. Ditto for Was (OV+Kuz+Back = $24 mil) or Pitts (Sid + Geno + Letang = $25.5 mil) other top Eastern Conference contenders and recent Cup winners. Leafs will likely be paying +$5 mil more in order to get similar offensive production and impact!!!.

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm fearing the Leafs will soon be following down the same Edmonton model (McDavid & Draisaitl contracts) as comparables for Matthews and Marner, rather than they will be using the TB model, where it appears they're getting their high-end players signed to value added cap contracts.

- Leafs sign JT (84 points 16th in NHL scoring) to $11 mil AAV and TB resigns Stamkos (86 points 12th in scoring) to $8.5 mil (TB free cap +$2.5 mil)
- TB resigns Kucherov (100 points 3rd in NHL scoring) to $9.5 mil AAV and Matthews lands between Eichel @$10 mil and McDavid @ $12.5 mil AAV.
- TB re-signs Hedman (Norris trophy winning Dman and top goal scorer) to $7.85 mil and Marner uses Draisaitl as his comparable and comes in around $8.5 mil AAV.

Leafs very well might be paying Auston, Mitch and Willie ~ $25 mil combined (never mind JT) and that is the same as TB is paying their elite 3 of Stammer, Kuch and Hedman)

You can use other examples as well like Boston. Their top line of Marchand (85 points 13th in NHL scoring) @ $6.125 mil + Pastrnak (80 points 21st in scoring) @ $6.67 mil AAV & Bergeron (63 points in 64 games & 3 X Selke winner) @ $6.87 mil... Will the Leafs even get Nylander under contract long-term at these value added contracts of the Bruins top players?

Matthews and Marner may produce like Marchand and Pastrnak with 80+ points each but they will soon be doing it a ~$20 mil combined cap and not $12.8 mil of the Bruins players (Matthews himself cap wise might be closer to Marchand and Pastrnak combined) while the entire Bruins top line comes in at $19.66 mil.

If Leafs follow the Edmonton contract path their direct Div competition of TB and Boston alone are gaining a further Cap advantage with each Leaf re-signing.

TB top 3 @$25.8 mil vs Boston top 3 @ $19.7 mil vs JT+AM+MM for ~$30 mil combined. Ditto for Was (OV+Kuz+Back = $24 mil) or Pitts (Sid + Geno + Letang = $25.5 mil) other top Eastern Conference contenders and recent Cup winners. Leafs will likely be paying +$5 mil more in order to get similar offensive production and impact!!!.
Tampa has an advantage when it comes to the cap hit so there's that.

Boston has some good contracts in Marchand and Pastrnak and should help keep the cap % down when it comes to Marner and Nylander imo. Bergeron though signed his 6.875m contract back in 2014-15 for 10.69% of the cap. 10.69% in 2018-19 is 8.49m.

I see you make the same mistake as other people when comparing contracts in previous years or even CBA's. You've got to start looking at cap hit % more. You'll realize that the key is signing your stars to long term deals asap. The cap hit might look like a good amount in the year that they sign but with the cap always increasing, it starts to look even better.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
People need to step back from the ledge and wait and see what the big 3 will sign for. I would not be surprised to see 6/6 for both MM and WN. These $8.5/8 deals are just ridiculous. Other teams can sign there big star players to cap friendly deals, but because the Oilers can't that automaticly means that the Leafs can't either?
Lets just wait and see how this plays out and maybe the one poster here can stop the fear mongering by taking it easy on posting the same thing over and over and over again.

Nate MacKinnon drafted #1OA just recorded 97 points in 74 games and was the runner up for the Hart trophy as the leagues most valuable player and is signed long-term @ $6.3 mil.

Should be an ideal comparable for Matthews also drafted #1OA NO ... Should Auston explode for 97 points in 74 games do we believe for 1 second he will be asking for MacKinnon $$ or more likely closer to $12 mil which would be double what Nate makes now?

Will the Leafs even get Marner or Nylander re-signed for MacKinnon cap hit money? They should because their comparables Marner (Pastrnak @6.7 mil) and Nylander (Ehlers @$6 mil) have just recently signed 6+ year extensions between $6-$7 mil based on similar stats at similar ages for similar positions played.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Nate MacKinnon drafted #1OA just recorded 97 points in 74 games and was the runner up for the Hart trophy as the leagues most valuable player and is signed long-term @ $6.3 mil.

Should be an ideal comparable for Matthews also drafted #1OA NO ... Should Auston explode for 97 points in 74 games do we believe for 1 second he will be asking for MacKinnon $$ or more likely closer to $12 mil which would be double what Nate makes now?

Will the Leafs even get Marner or Nylander re-signed for MacKinnon cap hit money? They should because their comparables Marner (Pastrnak @6.7 mil) and Nylander (Ehlers @$6 mil) have just recently signed 6+ year extensions between $6-$7 mil based on similar stats at similar ages for similar positions played.
Pastrnak's 6.66m is the equivalent of 7.06m in 2018-19 based on the 8.89% of the cap he signed for.
Ehlers 6m is the equivalent of 6.36m in 2018-19 based on the 8% of the cap he signed for.

Both should be good comparables for Marner and Nylander.

MacKinnon signed his contract when he posted these numbers
2013-14 82gp 24g 39a 63p
2014-15 64gp 14g 24a 38p
2015-16 72gp 21g 31a 52p

He's not a good example for a player who's put up better numbers during his first couple of season.

There's a lot of hindsight contracts that are being thrown around here and are not very good to compare with.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tampa has an advantage when it comes to the cap hit so there's that.

Boston has some good contracts in Marchand and Pastrnak and should help keep the cap % down when it comes to Marner and Nylander imo. Bergeron though signed his 6.875m contract back in 2014-15 for 10.69% of the cap. 10.69% in 2018-19 is 8.49m.

I see you make the same mistake as other people when comparing contracts in previous years or even CBA's. You've got to start looking at cap hit % more. You'll realize that the key is signing your stars to long term deals asap. The cap hit might look like a good amount in the year that they sign but with the cap always increasing, it starts to look even better.

It doesn't matter what kind of excuses people come up with for trying to wash away actual cap hits as all teams still every year compete for the same Stanley Cup and they do so under the same Salary Cap ceiling of $79.5 mil this year.

The Yeah but defense (fill in the blank) doesn't help the Leafs situation in the present any, it actually hurts them because in fact they're overpaying their own players comparables vs better signed earlier contracts to get the similar production (best case scenario). As you wisely and rightfully pointed out that earlier contracts keep getting better and better for teams as CH% decreases with the rising annual Cap ceiling. It might help explain Leafs contract numbers and how the Leafs arrived at them, but it doesn't address team competitiveness/depth disadvantage it has created for the Leafs vs their opposition/contracts and cap spending.

It doesn't matter how one spins it Tavares cost the Leafs $11 mil against $79.5 max cap, whereas it costs OV @$9.5 mil or Malkin @ $9.5 mil or Crosby @$8.7 mil or Kucherov @ $9.5 mil etc etc. Just because the Leafs are paying JT the 2nd highest AAV doesn't mean they're also getting the 2nd highest scoring player for CH% invested in him simply because he signed his deal last. The opposite is true LIWO (last in worst out).

The Stanley Cup is not decided adjusting for better tax bracket markets, or earlier signed contracts be they UFA or RFA etc, as its always simply the actual AAV/player deducted free cap space remaining for all to ice a Cup competitive team.. But it becomes huge competitive advantages to Leafs opposition nonetheless because its the same hard cap ceiling for all. Level playing surface Team Cap spending wise BUT heavily screwed competitiveness advantage wise based on timing of signings and location of team and bargain contract deals etc.

Better bang for your Cap buck is the moral of the story here!!!.

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Should be an ideal comparable for Matthews also drafted #1OA

They are completely terrible comparables. Talking about MacKinnon's surprise performance two years after he signed his contract his dishonest. At the time of the signing it looked like an ok deal. MacKinnon had managed to be the third most productive player on his own line in each of his first three years. He hadn't scored 60 career goals yet. His best ppg season was far below Matthews' worst ppg season. It would be hard to think of a worse comparable. Good job.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Not even close are they the same. After this coming season on July 1 st he will only be owed 1.25 m.

Right now he is owed 6.75m of his contract. His salary this year of 1.5m plus a bonus of 3m on July 1, 2019.

The last season he would be owed just 1.25m

His first season he was paid 13m before settling foot on the ice this year.

Tell me again how they are the same.
Signing bonus in 2017-2018: 7 million dollars; base salary is 1.5 million dollars; total salary is 8.5 million dollars.

Signing bonus in 2018-2019: 4.5 million dollars; base salary is 1.5 million dollars; total salary is 6 million dollars.

Signing bonus in 2019-2020: 3 million dollars; base salary is 1.25 million dollars; total salary is 4.25 million dollars.

His deal is the same through every season because he gets most of his salary from a signing bonus every season. His base salary is roughly the same through all 3 seasons of his deal.

That's how they are structured the same.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If people stopped and did and Bang for Salary Cap Buck analysis for a minute for Cup contenders they would see our Leafs ship heading straight into Cap Hell and the perfect storm once the 3 Amigo's contracts are all signed.

Compare Leafs top 3 most expensive player contracts to their direct competition of TB, Bos, Pitt, WAS etc and you will quickly see what I mean.

Leafs fans just see the bazillion points the Leaf players are expected to score and believe all is well.. The problem is other top teams also have players scoring tons of points and ending up in the top 20 scorers but the key point being that its costing them far less Cap hit to do so in the process.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If people stopped and did and Bang for Salary Cap Buck analysis for a minute for Cup contenders they would see our Leafs ship heading straight into Cap Hell and the perfect storm once the 3 Amigo's contracts are all signed.

Compare Leafs top 3 most expensive player contracts to their direct competition of TB, Bos, Pitt, WAS etc and you will quickly see what I mean.

Leafs fans just see the bazillion points the Leaf players are expected to score and believe all is well.. The problem is other top teams also have players scoring tons of points and ending up in the top 20 scorers but the key point being that its costing them far less Cap hit to do so in the process.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here? After a decade of wanting to rebuild through the draft it is hopeless outside of the first 3 years.

You want to “play the kids”, but you don’t want to “pay the kids”?

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad