Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster Part 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Of course we saw what happened when Hawks were in dire cap situation in 2010

Threat isn't to be dismissed especially given the fact teams know Vegas cant afford to match if it gets to that point

So there was one in 2010, and the Shea Weber one. How many others?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
not a chance can he step in and do what Gus has done right away - Boqvist has a ways to go to get there, and yes I agree ONE DAY he can do it, I am talking right out the gate you just don't put that level of pressure on him. Boqvist right now has zero chance at a roster spot this year and I don't like that as I want to see him up here playing NHL games this coming year. He likely gets that nod 20-21 or at least end of this year - I just don't think the Hawks let Gus go and bank on Boqvist to fill that void right away..that just would be bad IMO.

I disagree. Talking PP only right now but Boqvist is already more skilled than Gus.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Does it really matter who is "running the PP" If the forwards on PP1 are Panarin, Toews, Kane? Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Concerns about whether a new guy can kill it in transition shouldn't stop you from splashing in free agency this summer.
of course it matters, our power play blew balls prior to Gus getting put on the point with ALL those names..make no mistake of the importance of Gus and how he helped this team transform from a shitty pp to a top pp..I am saying one day some of those kids will be the answer, God willing, but we should not bank on them replacing Gus out the gate, that sets them and us up for failure. Gus has been elite in that regard, not easy to replace that.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Maybe Stan will shock us all and move 1 of Duncs or Seabs. I know the NTC and contracts are prohibitive but if he really wants to makechanges we all know 1 of them needs to go badly. With Tallon and now Q down in Florida it wouldnt shock me to see one of them moved to Panthers..Keith would be easier of the 2 to move but maybe prospects or picks could be tied to get Q his man crush Seabs down to Florida to finish his career

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So there was one in 2010, and the Shea Weber one. How many others?

Two in last 10 years is more then enough reason for teams to be concerned and not want it to get to that point

That is why teams tend to lock up young talent early. Leafs botched there handling of Marner and a lot of agents/players are sitting around such as Point with people wondering who will be first big one to sign

That Weber offer sheet was brutal for Preds. They should have walked away and left Flyers with that poison pill of a contract

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Offersheets almost never happen, so I'm not even going to take that part seriously.

And if that's the case then can try and move Reaves, Eakin, Miller, and then Haula. I highly doubt they need to move all 4, though, and that they'd give up an asset or two to move the first 3 before giving away Haula at his cap hit for a team that wants to win a Cup now.

Yeah, that’s probably true. We just don’t know how much teams are going to hold them to the fire. If teams aren’t asking them for high picks or top prospects to move Reaves and Miller, then yeah, they’ll probably keep Haula.

Their cap situation is about as bad as we’ve seen in a long time. They still have Clarkson’s 5.25M too, hopefully they aren’t let off the hook easily.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I disagree. Talking PP only right now but Boqvist is already more skilled than Gus.
I get that you have backed Boqvist, I really do. But I am sorry, that just isn't reality right now. Boqvist has his own struggles to work on right now, he isn't ready for that role out the gate. I would like to see Boqvist in Rockford getting top minutes/responsibilities there for this year, and then we can bring him up and see what he can do. Even if we ignore all those who are reporting that Boqvist has struggled/underwhelmed this year for London, he is not ready to take that role on skill alone..I am not saying Boqvist can't be that guy, but it just isn't realistic to expect him to replace what Gus has done as a rookie dman..sorry but let's agree to disagree here.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Maybe Stan will shock us all and move 1 of Duncs or Seabs. I know the NTC and contracts are prohibitive but if he really wants to makechanges we all know 1 of them needs to go badly. With Tallon and now Q down in Florida it wouldnt shock me to see one of them moved to Panthers..Keith would be easier of the 2 to move but maybe prospects or picks could be tied to get Q his man crush Seabs down to Florida to finish his career

Moving Keith makes no sense as we have no one capable of replacing him

And Seabs is going nowhere and Q hardly had man crush on Seabs as even he was gradually decreasing role/minutes of Seabrook in his final years

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I think people get confused with actual EV time and PP time. I think most of us agree that Boqvist probably isn't ready to be out there in 5 on 5 situations just yet. But just running a 5 on 4 (or 5 on 3) PP in the ozone? Absolutely.

Hell Gus wasn't even THAT Gus a year before that.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I think people get confused with actual EV time and PP time. I think most of us agree that Boqvist probably isn't ready to be out there in 5 on 5 situations just yet. But just running a 5 on 4 (or 5 on 3) PP in the ozone? Absolutely.

Hell Gus wasn't even THAT Gus a year before that.

With Seabrook where he is you can't roster him and Boqvist both.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
With Seabrook where he is you can't roster him and Boqvist both.

Again, not advocating putting him out there this season (never said any of that). AD was just mentioning PP. That's what I was talking about (to be fair a couple of posters have always overrated Gus so at times it's pretty much futile to argue him as a player).

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Again, not advocating putting him out there this season (never said any of that). AD was just mentioning PP. That's what I was talking about (to be fair a couple of posters have always overrated Gus so at times it's pretty much futile to argue him as a player).

I know, wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, was just throwing that out there. IF Seabrook wasn't on this roster I'd consider it and just shelter the hell out of him. However, with Seabrook and still an uncertain 3rd pairing in general it's not something that's practical right now.

Which I'm happy with. He needs 1 more year IMO then I think he'll be ready.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
With Maatta and Seabrook on roster you cant really shelter him and he would be wasted as #7D

Wait a year no need to rush the kid

Going to write off Maatta before he even steps on the ice for us?

I'm so shocked.

Can't wait to see you bitch about him for months and months before he even plays a single second in red.

inb4 something something Stanley rant.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I want to see Boqvist up here asap, that is my selfish want. I just think Boqvist has a number of things he can work on and SHOULD be in Rockford this season and not in London, that is to better him over what I want to see. I disagree with those saying Boqvist can step in right away and run our power play, it just isn't that easy and simple. Gus was 25/26 years old before things took off for him, maybe Boqvist can do it right away, but why put that pressure on the kid is my point with no certainty he can handle it or be as successful as Gus was. Columbus didn't even do that with Werenski, they gradually gave him those responsibilities which is what I am saying.

I honestly have no clue what the Hawks do with Gus, we know he is likely here this year up to the deadline, after that your guess is as good as mine.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I get that you have backed Boqvist, I really do. But I am sorry, that just isn't reality right now. Boqvist has his own struggles to work on right now, he isn't ready for that role out the gate. I would like to see Boqvist in Rockford getting top minutes/responsibilities there for this year, and then we can bring him up and see what he can do. Even if we ignore all those who are reporting that Boqvist has struggled/underwhelmed this year for London, he is not ready to take that role on skill alone..I am not saying Boqvist can't be that guy, but it just isn't realistic to expect him to replace what Gus has done as a rookie dman..sorry but let's agree to disagree here.

It has nothing to do with me backing him. Just to be clear.

It has everything to do with me knowing he is more skilled and has even better vision than Gus.

Reactions: clydesdale line

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It has nothing to do with me backing him. Just to be clear.

It has everything to do with me knowing he is more skilled and has even better vision than Gus.
just because he has better vision or is more skilled doesn't mean he can step right in and meet or exceed what Gus has done..I am not sure why you are taking that stance to be honest..it takes most young dmen years to get to a level Gus just performed at, some as skilled as Boqvist aren't close to it yet either..do I think Boqvist can be that guy in maybe 2-3 years after this season? I think he can, but I just don't see how you can say he can step right in and duplicate it and still play 13-15 minutes a night EV..

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
just because he has better vision or is more skilled doesn't mean he can step right in and meet or exceed what Gus has done..I am not sure why you are taking that stance to be honest..it takes most young dmen years to get to a level Gus just performed at, some as skilled as Boqvist aren't close to it yet either..do I think Boqvist can be that guy in maybe 2-3 years after this season? I think he can, but I just don't see how you can say he can step right in and duplicate it and still play 13-15 minutes a night EV..

A lot of it has to do with how much I watched him in London. He is just really good to great runing/manipulating play on the PP. I just have a strong feeling on this one.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
A year ago Gus wasn’t even viewed as a lock to make the 2nd PP now after one season he is suddenly amazing, a lot can change in a year and it’s not too far fetched to think that Boqvist can run the PP next year if he has a good summer and comes in ready

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
A year ago Gus wasn’t even viewed as a lock to make the 2nd PP now after one season he is suddenly amazing, a lot can change in a year and it’s not too far fetched to think that Boqvist can run the PP next year if he has a good summer and comes in ready

I get what AD is saying because it is quite a jump. What I am saying would not be the norm.

Reactions: clydesdale line

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
A lot of it has to do with how much I watched him in London. He is just really good to great runing/manipulating play on the PP. I just have a strong feeling on this one.
let me ask you this, so we are all on the same page.

do you think Boqvist can step in this season and handle a top pp qb role with the Hawks? do you think he can also be sheltered a bit playing 11-13 minutes EV plus pp duties and be anywhere on par to what Gus did both on the PP and EV?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
let me ask you this, so we are all on the same page.

do you think Boqvist can step in this season and handle a top pp qb role with the Hawks? do you think he can also be sheltered a bit playing 11-13 minutes EV plus pp duties and be anywhere on par to what Gus did both on the PP and EV?

I think PP production would be the same (his shot is better) but the EV production would lag early then start to ramp but not equaling Gus’s production this season. Make sense?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think PP production would be the same (his shot is better) but the EV production would lag early then start to ramp but not equaling Gus’s production this season. Make sense?
no it does...and if the Hawks feel the same way then they likely trade Gus away at the deadline. the only player right now that can make Gus expendable is Boqvist..not Krys, not Mitchell, not Beaudin, etc..my thing is if Boqvist is ready for this like you feel he is, then the Hawks 100% better have him out of the OHL so he can be called up if he doesn't make the roster out of camp.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
no it does...and if the Hawks feel the same way then they likely trade Gus away at the deadline. the only player right now that can make Gus expendable is Boqvist..not Krys, not Mitchell, not Beaudin, etc..my thing is if Boqvist is ready for this like you feel he is, then the Hawks 100% better have him out of the OHL so he can be called up if he doesn't make the roster out of camp.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad