GDT: 2018 World Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Wouldnt be that bad of a choice. Has some skill and grit, but would probably be best on the 3rd line and maybe PP2 infront of the net.
Well he is not NHLer not even close it would be horrible pick up for canes. There is much better choices who are younger and developing. If he is looking good against horrible Latvia and South korea it doesen’t tell whole truth.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Well he is not NHLer not even close it would be horrible pick up for canes. There is much better choices who are younger and developing. If he is looking good against horrible Latvia and South korea it doesen’t tell whole truth.

While I do agree, giving a try-out and a two-way contract wouldn't still be in my opinion a horrible decision. What's there to lose?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

He is not in any way worse than Komarov, who infact is a very similar player. If I get to choose between the two - I take Savinainen.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He is not in any way worse than Komarov, who infact is a very similar player. If I get to choose between the two - I take Savinainen.

Komarov used to be exceptional player without the puck especially on the PK. While Savinainen is good in those areas of the game in european standards but he has never been even close to Komarov in that regard. There is reason why he was loved by Babcock who demands alot from players. Savinainen is better offensively yes but he doesen’t have any skills to be useful in NHL. Komarov had very important one to shut down best players from opposing teams and getting into their head. He had tougher year yes and might not belong in NHL anymore.

He would take one roster spot from developing young player who have more to bring into table. I doubt canes are contending anytime soon. They should build for the future around their core pieces.

Last edited:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
As this team gets more talented, hopefully a better fit at coach, and maybe if Aho can figure out the slow starts, I feel quite confident he'll get that.

It is interesting because here in World Championships we have it exactly vice versa. Obviously we only have the start here, so yeah, against USA that, against Canade this, but with what we have, he basically couldn't have started any better. As of today, he has in the tournament five points per game and was against a better opponent a lot better in the following day.

Again, this does not mean he'll score six points per game in the tournament. But that's what we have as of right now. He is clearly MVP of the opening weekend of the tournament.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
also, the fact that teuvo - aho - svechnikov might be a real line for your carolina hurricanes should make you feel good. the chemistry teuvo and aho are showing in this tournament despite the level of competition is unreal. adding another equally if not more skilled player to their wing might make that line good for 70 points from left to right.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
also, the fact that teuvo - aho - svechnikov might be a real line for your carolina hurricanes should make you feel good. the chemistry teuvo and aho are showing in this tournament despite the level of competition is unreal. adding another equally if not more skilled player to their wing might make that line good for 70 points from left to right.

Counterpoint: it may be better to have a corner-going, front-goal-parking, dirt-kicking skeppage expert as the third wheel instead of yet another playmaker. To spread talent if not for any other reason.

mirasane

Apr 5, 2006
Anyone who is good enough to play for Finnish NT is pretty close to NHL level. Savinainen wouldn't be a star but certainly wouldn't look out of the place in the big league

No way Savinainen would have anything to do in NHL. He was top scorer in Liiga but has struggled to turn that into success in KHL and even SHL. He isn't skilled enough to produce in offensive role in NHL level but can't see him being a bottom 6 forward either. This season in KHL he had abysmal +/- rating on -23 which was worst in his team. Same thing happened during his last stint in KHL when he managed to collect -8 in just 25 games. The only forward with worse rating was Kazionov (-13) but he played 58 games. If he is struggling in KHL I just can't see any way him being worth NHL contract. And as a 32yo player he can hardly be seen as a project.

Aho has the habit of making players around him better. Savinainen is just the most recent example of that.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
No way Savinainen would have anything to do in NHL. He was top scorer in Liiga but has struggled to turn that into success in KHL and even SHL. He isn't skilled enough to produce in offensive role in NHL level but can't see him being a bottom 6 forward either. This season in KHL he had abysmal +/- rating on -23 which was worst in his team. Same thing happened during his last stint in KHL when he managed to collect -8 in just 25 games. The only forward with worse rating was Kazionov (-13) but he played 58 games. If he is struggling in KHL I just can't see any way him being worth NHL contract. And as a 32yo player he can hardly be seen as a project.

Aho has the habit of making players around him better. Savinainen is just the most recent example of that.

There is a big difference in NHL versus KHL. Many mid-tier AHL players are good in the KHL and during the lock-out we saw star-NHL:rs struggling there. Savinainen is good infront of the crease, battling in corners, redirecting pucks etc. He has a playstyle that fits the NHL better than KHL.

Whats there to loose having him to trainingcamp and if he seems to fit throwing him a 1yr/1mill "show-me" contract?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I´d expect he would have a "NHL-clausule" in it. A lot of players do.
Yes, but he should have an actual offer for SPC before using it, so that he doesn't find himself without any kind of contract out of the Canes training camp. I don't expect Chinese KHL team agrees to play the second fiddle and just let him go try for a better job and welcome him back if it doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad