GDT: 2018 World Championship

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Yes, but he should have an actual offer for SPC before using it, so that he doesn't find himself without any kind of contract out of the Canes training camp. I don't expect Chinese KHL team agrees to play the second fiddle and just let him go try for a better job and welcome him back if it doesn't.

There's 15 SM-Liiga teams that would welcome him though. And that's only the worst case scenario.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
There is a big difference in NHL versus KHL. Many mid-tier AHL players are good in the KHL and during the lock-out we saw star-NHL:rs struggling there. Savinainen is good infront of the crease, battling in corners, redirecting pucks etc. He has a playstyle that fits the NHL better than KHL.

Whats there to loose having him to trainingcamp and if he seems to fit throwing him a 1yr/1mill "show-me" contract?

While I do agree with the logic that Savinainen is good at those things (and hence is a good fit for TT & Aho in WHC), I think he doesn't have the smarts to do those things effectively enough in NHL. The rink is smaller and requires much faster level of thinking.

Don't get me wrong; for 1M/1yr he would probably produce OK numbers if playing with that duo, but I just think that it is not too difficult to find a much younger prospect with more upside to play a similar role with them. If Savinainen were 10 years younger it'd be a different story.

BTW, do the Canes have a prospect like this in the pipeline? Grit, good at board battles and in front of the net? Some size and quick reaction time (redirects and tap-in rebounds) wouldn't harm either.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Interesting that Necas looks the same on the Czech NT as he did at the WJC. Dominates the play in the o-zone. He’s constantly winning board battles and scooping up loose pucks. I’m really impressed with his straight line speed and agility. Such a good skater for his build.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
f75b8513101922f8c35569329355f73d.gif

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad