Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Ahahahah!

Hey, is Bob Costas still at NBC? I remember in my time in the US that at every ceremony, he would spend a long time talking about what country had a conflict. Stuff like "... and here comes the Afghanistan delegation. Refreshing to see a nation that suffered under several conflicts starting XYZ time, now turning the tide... etc etc ".
He was such a gloom guy...

Don’t even get me started about Jiminy Cricket. :ha: That guy injects himself into every sport as some sort of moral compass for what he believes is the “right way” to play etc. The guy is a miniature windbag, self-important, blowhard. Whenever I see him come on the channel gets changed

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Also, he makes the same joke about how Central African Republic is a republic located in Central Africa every single olympiad.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Other than Hockey how can anyone relate to this? Do any of us have memories of going to Little League Bobsled or Pop Warner Figure Skating. How about Babe Ruth Luge?

Hockey aside the Winter Olympics is the most elitist and pompous of all sporting events

I like watching the speed skating and skiing/snowboarding though.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Growing up in Canada I've tried or played a lot of different winter sports.
Hockey (of course) but have also gone down bobsled and luge runs. Curled. Skied. Snowboarded. Speed-skated (that was difficult for me) Tried wearing figure skates a couple times and that was very difficult also.

A big thing though is how excited my 12 year-old daughter is. She loved watching the Summer Olympics when she was 10 - and still talks about Penny Olekziak, the Winter's last time, and kind of remembers me taking her to some events out here when she was only four.
She watched at lunch at school yesterday and was glued to the screen last night. -I've given her a pass on how much t.v. she watches during the Olympics. As she just finds it incredibly inspiring.
And it gets her wanting to try all these different sports - and has been asking for me to take her speed skating.
It just adds so much to the experience of the Olympics and melts any cynicism I have.

Some of my best childhood sports memories are Olympic related.

Miracle on Ice and the 84 summer games to be specific.

For my daughter it’s the amazing things Phelps has done and that 4x100 medley relay that was won by the US in the last 20 yards in 08, as well as the US Women’s soccer team, who she follows like we do the Bruins.

Parenthood certainly gives you a different perspective on things....usually in a good way!

Reactions: Ladyfan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Maia and Alex Shibutani (USA) and Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir (Canada) are coming up for the ice dancing part of the ice skating competition.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Maia and Alex Shibutani (USA) and Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir (Canada) are coming up for the ice dancing part of the ice skating competition.

Not sure why but I feel its a little creepy that brother and sister dance together...lots of touching during the dance...just find it a little weird...

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I can’t remember being so uninterested in the Olympics before. Not sure if it’s the time difference or what but I can’t get into it

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Don’t even get me started about Jiminy Cricket. :ha: That guy injects himself into every sport as some sort of moral compass for what he believes is the “right way” to play etc. The guy is a miniature windbag, self-important, blowhard. Whenever I see him come on the channel gets changed

And Katie Couric is her usual annoying perky self :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad