Post-Game Talk: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang, South Korea February 9-25

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Most people have not skated or taken figure skating. And if they did where do they get to compete at a high level during youth like Hockey or Basketball or Baseball?

Skiing, I grew up in Northern Vermont in the 80’s and unless your parents could afford a season lift ticket could you even start to think of getting good. Meanwhile there were no varsity ski teams.

Sled going fast? Yes you are right. Any knob can strap their ass to a board and let gravity take over.
I was a competitive figure skater through 11 years old when won Jr nationals. We go all over. Most have tutors, real school doesn't work when on ice 8 hours a day. It is the definition of an elitist cut throat sport.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Inspiring is a good word for them. Sorry to hear about your friend's nephew, but it sounds like he is doing well, to make the team. :)

I know two men who each lost a leg (one from a mine in Vietnam, the other I'm not sure but I think was for medical reasons). The son of the Vietnam vet went on to become a prosthetics doctor because of his dad.

Neither of these guys played sports after their amputations, to my knowledge, although one has thrown out the first pitch at a Braves game or two. They are also two of the funniest guys I have ever met.
My daughter had the privilege of being coached by Josh Sweeney, captain of sled hockey team and also works with him on his community sled hockey program. He is an amazing human being, just another example.

Reactions: Bruinaura

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Growing up in Canada I've tried or played a lot of different winter sports.
Hockey (of course) but have also gone down bobsled and luge runs. Curled. Skied. Snowboarded. Speed-skated (that was difficult for me) Tried wearing figure skates a couple times and that was very difficult also.

A big thing though is how excited my 12 year-old daughter is. She loved watching the Summer Olympics when she was 10 - and still talks about Penny Olekziak, the Winter's last time, and kind of remembers me taking her to some events out here when she was only four.
She watched at lunch at school yesterday and was glued to the screen last night. -I've given her a pass on how much t.v. she watches during the Olympics. As she just finds it incredibly inspiring.
And it gets her wanting to try all these different sports - and has been asking for me to take her speed skating.
It just adds so much to the experience of the Olympics and melts any cynicism I have.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I thought something was amiss

NBC's editing of Olympics opening ceremony makes a long walk only longer

For general American consumption, the network was bound to use its resources and the time difference between here and Asia to streamline the pageant, emphasize Team USA’s presence and insert its commercial breaks and promos.

But who would have guessed that in doing so NBC would actually expand the parade of nations, a ritual of ceremonial importance that’s always a bit of a slog for viewers and ripe for compression?

The parade of athletes from each country walking into the stadium and taking their seats, which took 50 minutes or so to complete in real life, went 95 minutes in NBC’s production.

Almost twice as long.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I thought something was amiss

NBC's editing of Olympics opening ceremony makes a long walk only longer

For general American consumption, the network was bound to use its resources and the time difference between here and Asia to streamline the pageant, emphasize Team USA’s presence and insert its commercial breaks and promos.

But who would have guessed that in doing so NBC would actually expand the parade of nations, a ritual of ceremonial importance that’s always a bit of a slog for viewers and ripe for compression?

The parade of athletes from each country walking into the stadium and taking their seats, which took 50 minutes or so to complete in real life, went 95 minutes in NBC’s production.

Almost twice as long.
The whole ceremony seemed off to me.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I like when they show the line that indicates how far ahead of or behind the current leader the skaters are

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Cross country skiing is exhausting to watch lol. Seems like it takes so much effort to not go very fast.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Cross country skiing is exhausting to watch lol. Seems like it takes so much effort to not go very fast.

Yea.. trying to find ANY other event to watch, but it looks like they will start at 3.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
This color guy in the biathlon is THE worst person ever. I've never seen so many mistakes.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Why is NBC so caught up with North Korea?

I think people are curious about the country.

This photo from space is eerie as it shows how little electricity North Korea uses at night.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I think people are curious about the country.

This photo from space is eerie as it shows how little electricity North Korea uses at night.

That is interesting. Just seems like positive energy is trying to be thrown at a place where you can be shot for looking at someone the wrong way.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Just got a full on reminder why I despise NBC's Olympic coverage. At least 5 commercials, then they show one guy snowboard, then interview the American kid in third place, show him hugging people, fart around for another minute or so, then back to another crapload of commercials

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Just got a full on reminder why I despise NBC's Olympic coverage. At least 5 commercials, then they show one guy snowboard, then interview the American kid in third place, show him hugging people, fart around for another minute or so, then back to another crapload of commercials

Ahahahah!

Hey, is Bob Costas still at NBC? I remember in my time in the US that at every ceremony, he would spend a long time talking about what country had a conflict. Stuff like "... and here comes the Afghanistan delegation. Refreshing to see a nation that suffered under several conflicts starting XYZ time, now turning the tide... etc etc ".
He was such a gloom guy...

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad