OT: 2018 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Eh, bothers me. I'm being melodramatic but it seems to me a microcosm of the NFL picking and choosing the things they like about soccer.

They seem aware of the fact that soccer is exploding in popularity in this country while the NFL is suffering from their self-inflicted controversies.

It's safe to say that the state of the NFL 50 years from now is truly a question mark.

I love soccer and yes it is exploding but the MLS will never be able to compete with the epl, bundesliga, serie a, or La Liga. In fact, it will never be close. Most people in this country aren't even up on the weekend when some of the prime time matches are going on, oh you want to watch Manu U vs. Liverpool? Too bad it's at 7:00 AM on a Saturday morning.

Reactions: New Jersey

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Honestly these hate logos don't remind me of anything soccer related. Not sure what association people are making

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Eh, bothers me. I'm being melodramatic but it seems to me a microcosm of the NFL picking and choosing the things they like about soccer.

They seem aware of the fact that soccer is exploding in popularity in this country while the NFL is suffering from their self-inflicted controversies.

It's safe to say that the state of the NFL 50 years from now is truly a question mark.

This is exactly what was said about soccer in the 70's. Soccer is what it is. It has its place. But it will never muscle into the top echelon of U.S. sports. You have the NFL, NCAA football, baseball, basketball, hockey and that grouping isn't changing anytime soon

The NFL may be a bit of a mess right now but its survival is not even remotely in doubt. It devotes 0 thought to soccer.

Soccer is basically an exotic flirtation this country has every few years during the dog days of summer when there is absolutely nothing happening in any other sport. So people get into it for a little while and then forget. It's like a special attraction

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I'm gonna backpedal a little bit here, but you can redact my statement then and interpret it as "I'm only sick of the NFL because they managed to politicize sport, which, in regards to the average fan, is literally supposed to be an escape from that noise."

I'm not ignorant of the NFL's success, I'm more focusing on an idealistic aspect of sport being eroded within the country's most popular game, which, for me, is the fact that on the field all the players are equal and represent the same team, and they deserve the support of the fans regardless of who they are or where they came from, and that is not conditional support based on the personal views of players off the field, who we forget are human beings with families, opinions, and emotions. (I have views on the handling of recent controversies which, if elaborated on in this thread, would promptly get modded.) It's a non-issue for the NFL probably, as the owners can pretty much do whatever they want and still make more money than god (part of why I'm a Packers fan: no single "owner"), but anecdotally, could be a issue for a long-time fan on either side of the coin.

Then again, I'm a hypocrite as a soccer fan, which is the most notoriously corrupt sport on Earth. (The NCAA is pretty sketchy, too.)

With all that said, Packers 8-8 season, we'll finish ahead of the Lions and Bears. The goal is for Rodgers to stay healthy. Ho hum.

In the NFL, all players are not made equal. Different players have radically different roles and league and organizational rules that govern them are not going to be applied consistently. The support of the fans is predicated on the effort and good behavior of the players. The NFL's core audience and main cash cow ask that these players display the morals and attitudes that they believe it. Just putting on the uniforms doesn't make you bulletproof and deserving of support. There's more to it than that

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
In the NFL, all players are not made equal. Different players have radically different roles and league and organizational rules that govern them are not going to be applied consistently. The support of the fans is predicated on the effort and good behavior of the players. The NFL's core audience and main cash cow ask that these players display the morals and attitudes that they believe it. Just putting on the uniforms doesn't make you bulletproof and deserving of support. There's more to it than that

I'm aware of this reality, and I hate it.

On a semi-related, borderline-political note, I am so f***ing proud of the stance Aaron Rodgers took on all of this noise [in multiple sports] when he threw his name behind LeBron James.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I'm aware of this reality, and I hate it.

Yea but the customer is always right. It would be the same if the fans were imploring the players to stop getting so many tattoos or dancing in the endzone. Because of where the complaints are originated, they must be taken seriously.

Reactions: New Jersey

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Sam had a less impressive showing last night, but to be fair, the Jets already bad offensive line was missing their starting LT and RG last night and led to him getting pressured pretty heavily. Washington's D came to play, limited them to the short game all night long. His interception was a poor decision, but in a real game, they would have kicked a field goal there and not gone for it on 4th and 1 so it really didn't matter.

Teddy really looks good. Can McCown just retire and become our QB coach so we can make this decision easier between Sam and Teddy? :laugh:

Reactions: tr83

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The main problem with the NFL is the rules of the game are not clear cut.

Also, it employs too many vile characters like Isaiah Crowell (Jets)

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Sam had a less impressive showing last night, but to be fair, the Jets already bad offensive line was missing their starting LT and RG last night and led to him getting pressured pretty heavily. Washington's D came to play, limited them to the short game all night long. His interception was a poor decision, but in a real game, they would have kicked a field goal there and not gone for it on 4th and 1 so it really didn't matter.

Teddy really looks good. Can McCown just retire and become our QB coach so we can make this decision easier between Sam and Teddy? :laugh:

Frankly, I'd like Sam to sit the year out. I know they paid him a lot of money, but the line sucks and he doesn't need to get killed.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Need advice... I'm in a keeper league and I'm able to keep one of Kamara or Hopkins. I'm leaning Kamara but Hopkins is almost too good to pass over despite Kamara being great. Tell me what to do lol.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
as someone who knows nothing about fantasy football...I convinced a cowrker to take Barkley first overall....

meanwhile I took Odell at 10.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Have a fantasy conundrum myself. I got the first overall pick for my league that drafts tonight at 9. It's a keeper league, but with my first pick, I have my choice between Le'Veon Bell or David Johnson.

I'm leaning towards Johnson because I'm biased lol he won me my league pretty much 2 years ago. I think both are going to dominate and do well, but it's a toss up. Johnson is talking that he wants to hit 1,000 rushing and 1,000 receiving yards too, actually talking up he wants to get to 2000 all purpose yards.

Think I'm going his way, but would love to hear the other side of it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm going to have the opportunity to take one of Elliott or Barkley. I'm leaning Barkley but it's hard to pass on Zeke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad