Around the NHL: The 2024 NHL Playoff Thread

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I can't see a path forward for the Bolts right now.
They've still got enough talent in Vasy, Kucherov, Point, Hedman, Sergachev, etc and good coaching to make the playoffs. But they've got zero in terms of prospects and young players to help fill out the lineup with cheap production. And that's not changing anytime soon either, their first pick this year is round 5(!) and they've traded away their 2025 1st rounder too.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I can't see a path forward for the Bolts right now.

$10M in projected cap space. They've got:

2/3rds of a damned good top line
2/3rds of a decent enough 2nd line
2/3rds of a decent enough 3rd line, if Jeannot removes his head from his ass
4th line seems good enough

Hedman/Sergachev/Cernak/Perbix/Raddysh..............that's a good top 3, and Perbix is an NHL defenseman?

Vasi.....yeah, his D isn't good...but.........he slipped this year.

They need contributors on ELCs and/or cheap deals. Their defense outside their top 3 isn't good.

Yep. They're in that middling tier -- good enough to make the playoffs most years, not nearly good enough to make noise.

Their only escape is to re-tool.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would love to see Savoie adopt some of Essyimont's douchery when he makes it to the Sabres. Combine his speed and talent with that prickly attitude would be a hell of a player

It's interesting to see how Tampa and Florida fill out the depth in the rosters. Essyimont was on waivers the same season Tampa picked him up for almost nothing. Multiple Panther defensemen are waiver claims. Both teams have a solid grasp of who they want and roles to fill, points to their pro scouting being well beyond what Buffalo is doing.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
It's interesting to see how Tampa and Florida fill out the depth in the rosters. Essyimont was on waivers the same season Tampa picked him up for almost nothing. Multiple Panther defensemen are waiver claims. Both teams have a solid grasp of who they want and roles to fill, points to their pro scouting being well beyond what Buffalo is doing.
They know what they want and go get those types. Simple recipe, hard to play against with a bit of skill. It's the same recipe Boston uses

Reactions: Chainshot

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Seems like the amount of goals he scored says he's pretty close to Gretzky in terms of goal scoring. Based on his numbers and where he has scored his goals, I would think he deserves to be where he is.

I would say someone that is approaching Gretzky's numbers at a time where goaltending was levels above of what Gretzky was shooting against, tells me he more than deserves it.
The main reason he's approaching Gretzky's numbers are due to the team purposely trying to feed into it while Gretzky was more than goal scorer and didn't have to focus on being a one timer on the PP once he exited his prime.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The main reason he's approaching Gretzky's numbers are due to the team purposely trying to feed into it while Gretzky was more than goal scorer and didn't have to focus on being a one timer on the PP once he exited his prime.

Just stop lol

Reactions: sabremike

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Just stop lol
what? Gretzky was retired by 38 and didn't have to rely on teammates to give him a ton of goals he actually could turn anyone into a great goal scorer while putting the pucks in by himself too. The only dumb thing is the people who are gonna say he was a better goalscorer than Gretzky simply because he has more all time goals doesn't make a lot of sense.

Reactions: Dingo44

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
what? Gretzky was retired by 38 and didn't have to rely on teammates to give him a ton of goals he actually could turn anyone into a great goal scorer while putting the pucks in by himself too. The only dumb thing is the people who are gonna say he was a better goalscorer than Gretzky simply because he has more all time goals doesn't make a lot of sense.

Sure it does. Everything you're arguing is irrelevant. Nobody has made any claims about being better than Gretzky. Who cares that Gretzky could turn anyone into a great goal scorer ...

If and when he breaks it Alex Ovechkin will be known as the greatest goal scorer in NHL history... because it will be factually true

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad