GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

qf0dI2y.png

"solid"

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This kind of stuff I don't get

There's a lot wrong with that message:
A. Short sighted. Brings needed grit this year (and I agree) but seriously challenges the ability to give young players opportunities in future years, especially years 3 and 4.
B. The cap hit is not minimal.
C. They might be good in the playoffs but the Canucks won't be in the playoffs.
D. The contracts are not tradable. Especially Beagle in years 3 and 4.

I don't think I'm being negative, just realistic.

Reactions: theoriginalBCF

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
What precedent does this set for us signing Sven Baertschi? He's a guy who is arguably our best winger defensively, was on pace for 44 points this year and had 35 last year.

Does that mean he gets a 4 year deal worth 4.5 per?
If a 33 year old Beagle gets 4 years, Sven is going to get a stupid 8 year deal.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Jay beagle contract is horrible.

Roussel at least is younger.

Both overpayment, Schaller is a sneaky good signing.

Schaller was on an energy line in Boston. And that line was very good for one of the better teams in the east.

He's fast ,big, in his prime. Will drop gloves. Underrated skills too. Would look good on the left wing in the middle 6.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is a another very bad day for what is unfortunately a very bad franchise right now.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
More terrible UFA signings by this incompetent group of idiots. I cannot wait for the day they're gone and we can begin the healing process. I laugh at those still blaming Gillis. This is Linden and Bennings mess.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Aren’t you one of the guys calling the trades for baertschi and goldobin benning s big wins as trades when the rest of us have said they were meh or worse? But now benningns big trade wins are just placeholders???

I said that Baertschi for a 2nd was a Benning victory and I still believe that it was. Baertschi produced at a rate that was consistent with that of a decent 2nd line player.

With the Hansen deal, we traded an asset that was clearly in decline, for a talented prospect that had a shot at being a top 6 guy.

I don’t mind Baertschi being here, but I think the Canucks have gotten everything that they could out of the guy and now they have a chance to go younger and cheaper.

I think Leipsic, Pettersson, Boeser, and Eriksson should be the top 4 wingers on the team, while the bottom 6 should be filled with wingers that are bigger and grittier.

Baertschi and Goldobin should be able to land us draft picks.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
How exactly is a 12-minute a night 4th line gonna make life any easier for Pettersson on the 2nd line? Do we have anyone who can make a pass to him? Who can set him up for a one-timer?

Or do you mean his life will be easier because Roussel will face wash a couple guys on the other teams 4th line?

He's a 12 minute, 4th line guy on a Stanley Cup champ which, if you've been paying attention, we are not even close to being. He will almost certainly play more than that, possibly on the 3rd line and he and Roussell will eat up a lot of tough minutes making the jobs of the new kids considerably easier. He will provide a terrific influence in the gym for them as well; remember, our previous poster boys for fitness just retired. Also remember that we are not a destination of choice for anybody good. Every few weeks I am reminded that Vancouver is NOT a desired destination for any pro hockey player who has any choice in where he plays; this week's reminder came courtesy of Derek Sanderson's book which I found in a thrift store this week and where he says of his stint in Vancouver (which, by that point in his career was the only team that would have him) "it seemed like I spent my whole life in airports". We are and always will be the red headed step-child of the league.

Reactions: alternate

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
It's also fun watching guys like Moore, Hickey and Cole get signed to better deals than Gudbranson. Patyern, who is Erik's closest FA comparable, signs for 3 years 2.25 AAV. Such a joke. How is this good assest management?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
He's a 12 minute, 4th line guy on a Stanley Cup champ which, if you've been paying attention, we are not even close to being. He will almost certainly play more than that, possibly on the 3rd line and he and Roussell will eat up a lot of tough minutes making the jobs of the new kids considerably easier. He will provide a terrific influence in the gym for them as well; remember, our previous poster boys for fitness just retired. Also remember that we are not a destination of choice for anybody good. Every few weeks I am reminded that Vancouver is NOT a desired destination for any pro hockey player who has any choice in where he plays; this week's reminder came courtesy of Derek Sanderson's book which I found in a thrift store this week and where he says of his stint in Vancouver (which, by that point in his career was the only team that would have him) "it seemed like I spent my whole life in airports". We are and always will be the red headed step-child of the league.

Who cares if he is a "Stanley Cup Champ"? So is Jim Benning....but it's pretty apparent he doesn't know how to build a team to win one himself.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

How many tough minutes in a game are there? We already have Sutter taking the hard match ups, if you have Beagle playing >12 minutes then Horvat and Pettersson will be playing below 15 minutes each.

Like I’m aware you think all young players are fragile china dolls who must never face any adversity whatsoever or else they’ll shatter and bust out of the NHL, but c’mon even you should be able to see that what these young kids could actually use is some actual talent to play along side them no? Like a guy who can make a pass to Pettersson or who can cycle the puck and set him up for his one timers, not a guy on a totally different line who is going to scrum it up and take penalties all game long. This obsession with the bottom 6 while completely ignoring the top 6 borders on pathological.

It’s insane that we just watched a SCF featuring the Caps and Vegas Knights and the lesson we walked away with was that we needed to be older, slower, and less skilled.

Just insane myopic-ness.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
BEAGLE
I like the player, not sure I'd give 4 years, but he's a guy that is going to likely only play 8-10 minutes a night and take a lot of the tough defensive starts and allow Horvat much more of an opportunity to focus more on offense. We now have a great PK'ing and defensive zone centre that will take a lot of pressure of our young kids and allow them to excel at the other end of the ice.

When the Canucks signed Malholtra, there were lots of people that questioned that contract, but the effect he had with the team became obvious. Top PK in the league, far more offensive opportunities for the offensive players which paid dividends in the end.

If this also means the departure of Sutter, I will be even happier.

ROUSSEL
A younger Alex Burrows. Pest, can skate and also play the PK. Don't like the deal however, but then again by the time we're contending this deal will be coming off the books.

SCHALLER
Hard working player with some grit and size. Good depth signing I suppose. The deal itself is actually not that bad. Short term, not a lot of money.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Edmonton signed two solid bottom-6 forwards who combined for 58 points last year for a total cost commitment of $4 million.

We signed 3 solid bottom-6 forwards who combined for 61 points last year for a total cost commitment of $29 million.

Amazing.

Please stop turning the knife! The pain, oh the pain

Jimbo has single handedly ruined my long weekend.

Feels like we are stuck in a really terrifying horror film.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
I honestly would have preferred bringing Vamnek back than these deals.

This team isn’t even going to be entertaining bad this year. Just boring, old, slow and crap.

Utica will be filled with young talents. Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen, and my hope is that Juolevi joins them as well.

As far as the Canucks go, I hope we see Pettersson and maybe even Hughes if he’s ready.

Late last year, we saw Leipsic show some flashes of brilliance and so who knows what he does this year.

Those kids in Utica are going to get a TON of ice time and will get plenty of chances to grow their offensive games. Between doing that and giving them limited 4th line minutes or “throwing them to the wolves” on top 6 nhl duty, I think building something in Utica is by far the better option. Let those kids mesh together and win down there.

Let guys like Sutter, Horvat, Boeser, Gudbranson, Beagle, Tanev, Edler, and Roussel set the “culture,” for this team so that guys like Pettersson, Leipsic, Virtanen, and Hughes can carry these values forward. This is what hockey is all about.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
So basically we have beagle, roussel , gudbranson, and eriksson costing us 16.25 million dollars for the next 4 years.....well

Reactions: geebaan

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I find it surprising how many people seem to think these contracts will be easy to trade. If these players regress at all you likely won't be able to move them regardless of trade clause, etc.

Of course they will regress because look at the roster they are joining. I guarantee their point totals will be cut in half from last year.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

This keeps getting echoed, yet we seem to be the only team overpaying in terms of years and salary for these depth players. This is just more of the same 'nobodies trading picks at the deadline' stuff from Jim Benning. He's the easiest mark in the league and other GM's/agents continue to take advantage of it.

I mean you could maybe make a weak case for Beagle since he just won a Cup, but what makes Roussel so special that his contract gets 'negotiated' up to 4 years when Reider, Comeau, Ryan, and even Bozak, among others, get 3 or less?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad