WC: 2017 Team Finland

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
It is what it is. Jokinen had a horrible season anyways. The guy is exhausted from all the hockey last year + the world cup + this season. He wouldn't have been useful anyways.

Rantanen should be a lock, he should pass the medical exam. Otherwise, please join us, Aho and Armia!

Really hoping MTL goes out early and we get Lehkonen!

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Very dissappointed. Youth of today has no heart or condition

What Finnish hockey association's should to do then if players are declined for playing in world championships.
Suspend every declined player and leave them out of national team or what.

Do you have any clue how hard is to play over 100 games in a year like Laine has done.
Also Ristolainen and Jokinen are tired after hard season and Jokinen has suffered for injuries.

So it shouldn't be an issue if Jokinen and Ristolainen doesn't have energy and motivation to come play annual skoda cup tournament.
There's nothing wrong to just rest and relax little while after hard season.
Humans aren't machines.

Last edited:

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
True. I have never played 100 nhl games have you?

If they were in better fit they would not be tired. Maybe they wii come later when they are stronger.

I didn't suggests any bans, just said It's dissappointing.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
What about Pulkkinen? With Palola and Jormakka likely as the only right handed forwards on the team, certainly could use him on the PP.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Very dissappointed. Youth of today has no heart or condition

This youth is wise, let them become the best players possible and when possible again compete for Olympic gold.
Yes Aho!, now waiting for Rantanen.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Presently no one knows what's up with him. But I'd wager if he's willing to come, they'll have him.

I hope so. He is amazing on the PK. I watched 90% of Winnipeg's games this year. He is definitely improving his NHL game. A good summer of training will do him good. I can him see him playing solid in the world champs. Really hope he goes! So many short handed goals!

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So what if / when Finland doesn't get all possibly NHLers in the team?.
There's no clue or any sense even play world championships in world cup season.

And i can say that all these declines ( more will come) were fully expected.

I'm OK with every other decline but Ristolainen's decline just leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. I don't really know what it is. I understand that he was in World Cup, had one of the highest TOI per game average in the entire league but he is a condition freak and can deal with it. I also realize that last year he had contract negotiations and year before that national team's management screwed things up so those weren't real declines.

He was healthy the entire season this year unlike the other players who declined the invitations. Maybe that's what separates him from the rest thus I see his decline differently and with that he is setting a bad example for other young Finnish NHL players.

On the positive I do think Olympics will happen normally with NHL players so at least he can rest and be ready there.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
While I'm not saying that Ristolainen declining is a good thing by any means, luckily we don't at least have one of those absolute cravings for a player of his profile. Namely, that of right-hooked puckmover. Of course, RR would have brought so much more to the table that there's no reason to say they shouldn't have had him anyway, absolutely, but he would have been a luxury, not a necessary cog in the machine.

We already have Hietanen and Honka, so at least we've got reliable quarterbacks for both PP units, and it also saves the management from shoehorning these guys into odd positions.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sucks. Not sending a good signal to other NHL players who are considering joining this team.

Interesting what Rantanen says now who is good mate with Laine and Ristolainen via their Turku summer training camp. He was so interested about joining before but will he say now that he has a leg injury even though he played in the last game of the season... He could use that as an excuse now.

Finland is becoming Sweden with the NHL player declines and Ristolainen is the new Korpikoski with declines.

I hope Rantanen goes, and I think he will. But I wouldn't blame him if he didn't with the way they barely let him play in the tournament last year. He legitimately had an injury too, he was spotted wearing a boot last week. But if he's cleared I'm sure he'll do it.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I hope Rantanen goes, and I think he will. But I wouldn't blame him if he didn't with the way they barely let him play in the tournament last year. He legitimately had an injury too, he was spotted wearing a boot last week. But if he's cleared I'm sure he'll do it.

I agree. They really beat him around the bush for last year's tournament. They really needed his speed and strength for the gold medal game when they couldn't score if their lives depended on it.
Otherwise, I was really hoping to have seen him play in the world cup but he got screwed for that as well.

Anyways, hopefully he clears his medical exam and all good! I think he will be a force to reckon with if he plays in this year's world champs.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Now its seems like at least Aho,Rantanen and Honka are in and Filppula very likely is in.

OUT: Ristolainen, Jokinen, Barkov and Laine.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Rantanen officially confirmed.

Out of other additions currently available, Filppula looks likely and Armia is still in the air.

And oh yeah, I guess Pulkkinen's also a possibility, if you wish to count him.

As a side note, is it just me, or has something changed with our NT's press policy? Getting official confirmations to any possible NHL additions used to be far more arduous process - sometimes there was stuff you had heard through back channels weeks before they were finally published by the management. I remember following the other countries' team building processes and being envious about how quickly they'd get the news out.

Last edited:

Snaibberi

Mar 20, 2008
RR might remember situation 2 years ago, when he was scratched from the team. Cant blame him if has issues about it.

Finnish management has poor reputation conserning young players (excluding few hyped "superstars"). Rantanen & Pulkkinen for example were treated badly last year.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
RR might remember situation 2 years ago, when he was scratched from the team. Cant blame him if has issues about it.

Finnish management has poor reputation conserning young players (excluding few hyped "superstars").

Actually later discovered that Ristolainen himself left from the camp that year.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Actually later discovered that Ristolainen himself left from the camp that year.
Which was apparently because he had some kind of falling out with the management.

But, of course, if he had beef with K.Jalonen, that shouldn't be a factor anymore now that Marjamäki is the coach. Well, unless Lehtinen played a part in that debacle too.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Aho-Filppula-Rantanen
Lehkonen-Aaltonen-Pulkkinen
Kapanen-Koskiranta-Palola
Pyörälä-Kemppainen-Pihlström

Lepistö-Hietanen
Nutivaara-Honka
Ohtamaa-Kukkonen
Jokipakka-Jaakola

Lehtonen
Koskinen