GDT: 2017 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Right after we drafted Jost I watched his highlight package from the BCHL (?), and was immediately wowed. He just seems to have the smarts that so many of our players don't seem to have. I really, really hope we don't bring him onto the Avs and force him into a style of play that doesn't benefit him, because this guy looks like a future can't-miss impact player and we really need one of those.

Side note, I know it's probably not in his best interests to be jumping around between teams, but my Regina Pats (who are playing some ridiculously dominant hockey as it is, I don't know where that came from) acquired Jost's WHL rights, and I'd love to see him come into our town and tear it up.

If UND doesn't make the tourney he could go do that :laugh: although maybe there's a rule about when they have to on the roster by. I'd like to see him get games for Avs or Rampage at the end of the year too but if both teams are just playing out the string don't know how appealing that is.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I think Jost is going to be hard to keep off the roster next season. He'll be stronger by then. His size is fine (same exact size as Pavelski right now), he just needs to turn some teen baby fat into muscle.

I think his talent-level is a bit underestimated because he's one of those "always in the right place at the right time" guys. He's efficient more than fancy. Lord knows this team needs that trait in a bad way. Maybe it's because he looks so good with two giants on TC - but I just envision him and Rantanen together and being the type of combo that is going to be incredibly effective. Stick MacK between them and maybe you have the makings of a complete line with the right balance. Sounds good in theory anyways.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
DeBrincat is overrated, they probably kept someone better like Bellows.

They did keep Bellows (so far), but I think he was a lock to begin with.

What I am speaking more to is the CHL/NCAA divide that USA hockey has. Right now they have 3 players from the CHL on the roster and the last cut might be a CHL player (Parsons).

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think Chris Drury is a great comparison in not only style of play, but in body structure and size. He didn't have Datsyuk's superhuman forearm and wrist strength, but he was strong, smart, and tenacious. He would still be an outstanding defensive center in today's NHL, and is a good model for what Jost could become.

It's not just him though, Pavelski is also a good comparison. The "you need a big center to win" idea is more about offense IMO than defense, though obviously being bigger helps defensively. It's about being able to be played in all situations, and also drive to the net with or without the puck without beings stopped and be that X factor to change tight games. It's just that we're in an era where the best athletes that can be played in all situations are usually bigger centers.

If you dial back the offense a bit in the same role though, I think it can be done with someone smaller, but stocky and strong like Jost.

I still see Jost as a weird Pavelski/Parise hybrid. In the open ice and transition areas of the game he plays a lot like Parise, with a persistent puck hound attitude, and he is pretty quick through there. When the game settles a bit in the offensive zone he resembles Pavelski quite a bit where he just always ends up in the right place to make a play. I agree with some of the suggestions of having him in the AHL next year, unless he absolutely blows the Avs socks off they should give him time to develop his game as a go to player.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
Avs move back to Quebec and are called the Nordiques. Thus nobody plays for the "Avs" next year....

Have to wait once we are nearly a championship team and then move to Quebec :naughty:

Seriously how would Jost not be a part of this team? He is already better than most of the players on the roster and by the time next season comes along he will be even better. Too good and skilled to go to the AHL as well.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I completely agree with this... Jost reminds me of Stepan a lot. Probably ends up a better skater and thus a bit better player, but a lot of the same skills are there. Him doing well is a nice lift around here, even if expected.

I'm probably alone in this, but I think he gets NHL games at the end of the season.
What would playing NHL games at the end of the year mean for his ELC? Would it burn a year?

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Been a big time Jost fan for a looong time in case you can't tell from my avatar. I had him as a top 5 player in the 2016 draft. The guy is so smart and smooth, has elite IQ at this level. His release is so quick and deadly. There's just no holes in his game. Bigras and he will majorly change the complexity of this team with their IQs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@SEPH I'm always curious what the Polish National Teams (mens/womens) at every level are up to. I try to follow along as best I can but you do a very good job at laying out the big picture. It feels like for the past year and a bit the Polish national teams have just barely missed out on promotion. In fact the Polish women's team was close to making it to the 2018 Olympics. They would have been smoked but still would have been neat to see.
Yeah Women's hockey is still very top heavy with Canada and USA exchanging Gold Medals every year. I actually didn't even know they had a women's hockey team, which is awesome because Polish women are some of the best in Europe IMO. ;) If I remember off the top of my head, doesn't Japan have a pretty solid female team? Not one who can challenge North America, but one that can beat the likes of Suisse and Sweden for example?

I couldn't watch any of the games due to a busy schedule, but it sounds like Poland blew this more than Hungary winning it. I do think Hungary is a couple steps above us in terms of development and talent, but I've been pretty much proud of what Poland has been able to accomplish the last couple of years. These results though have been the work of development from the last seven to eight years. They just finally decided to explode in the last couple of IIHF events with the addition of Lyszczarczyk coming on the scene as well.

One person who is HUGE in not only Poland's Hockey Association, but throughout the media is Mariusz Czerkawski. He has simply done wonders in exposing hockey to the public view. He's also a quite popular figure on the public good morning shows where he normally makes appearances once every few months. Now...is hockey going to take some spotlight away from volleyball (which we're sadly very good at) and football? No it won't, though it's slowly, but surely growing. The Polski Hockey Association created a couple years ago a hockey school like Slovakia has with their U20 Orange Team. It's meant to develop and play against men, but more importantly, develop chemistry for the players once they reach the higher leagues. I keep repeating myself, but one of the ways to grow hockey is to have the respective country's national team to do very well. We've seen this with Suisse, Latvia, sometimes with Denmark, and now with Hungary.

One other player to watch for to help the national team is Bartlomiej Jeziorski. Posting up some good numbers as an 18 year old against men, but seems he's stuck in a league which doesn't get scouted a whole lot. Would like to see him come over the ocean to the NAHL or USHL to see what he can do because it does look like he has some legitimate talent.

Here: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=280005

Logan Brown and Alex DeBrincat cut LOL
LOL, USAH is going to USAH. Who made the team over them? Random Florida Panthers 6th rounders? :laugh: Why need some actual talent when you have Troy Terry and Joe Cecconi leading the way? :sarcasm:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I completely agree with this... Jost reminds me of Stepan a lot. Probably ends up a better skater and thus a bit better player, but a lot of the same skills are there. Him doing well is a nice lift around here, even if expected.

I'm probably alone in this, but I think he gets NHL games at the end of the season.

Stepan is a great comparison, I'll add my two cents and say that from what I've seen I think Jost is a better goalscorer and a MUCH better stickhandler of the two. While I think Stepan has him beat on his playmaking ability. Additionally, you're right that Jost is a better skater when Stepan is more physically tough of the two IMO. Whatever the case is, they should have similar point totals when everything is said and done, but with Jost having more goals with Stepan having more assists. I rarely try to predict someone's point totals for the NHL, but I am feeling it today.

Stepan: 18 goals - 39 assists for 57 points
Jost: 24 goals - 28 assists for 52 points

I think that's a fair prediction for their career average between each player.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
One person who is HUGE in not only Poland's Hockey Association, but throughout the media is Mariusz Czerkawski. He has simply done wonders in exposing hockey to the public view. He's also a quite popular figure on the public good morning shows where he normally makes appearances once every few months. Now...is hockey going to take some spotlight away from volleyball (which we're sadly very good at) and football? No it won't, though it's slowly, but surely growing. The Polski Hockey Association created a couple years ago a hockey school like Slovakia has with their U20 Orange Team. It's meant to develop and play against men, but more importantly, develop chemistry for the players once they reach the higher leagues. I keep repeating myself, but one of the ways to grow hockey is to have the respective country's national team to do very well. We've seen this with Suisse, Latvia, sometimes with Denmark, and now with Hungary.

There's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Interesting.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Interesting.

He's not only been serving as one of the senior advisors for the President of Poland's Hockey Federation, he's also the President of Sport7 which is an organization aimed to get children to play "winter sports" with hockey taking the centre stage in it. Additionally to this, he was appointed development leader for Poland's youth hockey program and is director of Olivia Gdansk, which is a proposed expansion team trying to get a spot in the KHL.

He then was awarded with Knight's Cross of the Order of the Rebirth of Poland for his contributing factors in the development of ice hockey. This award in particular is the second highest civilian medal in Poland, just becoming secondary to the Order of the White Eagle which is normally only awarded to people who had political and diplomatic importance for the country.

He's just a really respected and popular figure in Poland.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's not only been serving as one of the senior advisors for the President of Poland's Hockey Federation, he's also the President of Sport7 which is an organization aimed to get children to play "winter sports" with hockey taking the centre stage in it. Additionally to this, he was appointed development leader for Poland's youth hockey program and is director of Olivia Gdansk, which is a proposed expansion team trying to get a spot in the KHL.

He then was awarded with Knight's Cross of the Order of the Rebirth of Poland for his contributing factors in the development of ice hockey. This award in particular is the second highest civilian medal in Poland, just becoming secondary to the Order of the White Eagle which is normally only awarded to people who had political and diplomatic importance for the country.

He's just a really respected and popular figure in Poland.

One of my favourite players growing up

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I love Mariusz Czerkawski and am really happy to hear he's the main force behind the Polish hockey program. And yeah Poland has a women's team that is actually pretty good at least in the 1B group and based on previous results have a legitimate shot at making it to the 1A group. Last year the women were promoted from 2A to 1B through a lot of blowouts. Top three scorers of the 2B tournament were all Polish and posted 2PPG and above. And like I said before they did pretty good in the Olympic Qualifiers with only one loss at the start stopping them from advancing.

Japan just got demoted from the top division back to 1A by the Swiss team though the Swiss are only as good as Florence Schelling (2014: Olympic MVP, Bronze Medalist, Top Goalie, etc.) takes them. She's currently recovering from an injury but seems like she should be back for the WHC. Japan is an interesting team though with 2-3 players playing in the CWHL (Top women's hockey league) so my assumption is they'll be back in the top division after this year with Germany/Swiss/Czech being demoted. Japan is the 2nd highest ranked team in the Olympic Qualifiers right now with the Swiss being the highest ranked.

Back to the men's side of the game yeah it was definitely Poland's to lose and they did unfortunately. Also agree that Lyszczarczyk needs to get out of Sudbury (why was Pataki the lucky one?) but at least the Leafs had Lyszczarczyk at one of their camps so he did get some sort of pro education. If Bartlomiej Jeziorski came to the NAHL or USHL I'd be extremely happy. Guess it depends on how he sees the risks of staying in Europe compared to moving overseas to North America. Regardless Polish Hockey needs to keep on the track they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad