Speculation: 2017 Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher may go UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
College draft pics always scare for this exact scenario. They can outlast their control staying in college and becoming free agents. The new cba needs to add a year to players that stay the full cycle in college. I can't imagine owners like this little loophole

That would create different rules compared to CHL players.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't blame him. Why not test UFA when it's only a matter of waiting a few months? It would definitely suck to lose any remotely valuable prospect for nothing, but Sakic shouldn't make him any promises. The guy needs at least one year in the AHL to adapt his game (if he even can). He isn't a guy you just give a roster spot to, even on the Avs.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
What is there to win when a team wants a player to know he's not wanted "right now"? And isn't that burning bridges if a player tells a team he's not interested.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Honestly don't think he's special and if I were Sakic or an Avs fan I wouldn't be losing sleep over him not signing

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
It's his right but I agree with you. The tone seems to be " I'm a superstar already". Again context is everything so who knows.

Agreed. Without being in the room you can't really know how it came off, but just based off of that quote alone it definitely reads like "I don't really care what he said"

You're correct, it's his career and his absolute right to do so. Does seem real weird, though.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Butcher isn't NHL caliber yet. He needs a year in the AHL. He's got a lot of potential imo.

However, if I'm him and I see how the Avs are right now I'm definitely waiting it out to see what they do this offseason.

How many teams come August when he's a UFA will have an NHL spot open for him? It's AHL for him and I think he knows it. It's better for his development. I also think he does sign with the Avs provided they make the drastic changes needed.

Either way, I don't blame him for taking this approach and certainly don't see this entitled attitude some of you are.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
College draft pics always scare for this exact scenario. They can outlast their control staying in college and becoming free agents. The new cba needs to add a year to players that stay the full cycle in college. I can't imagine owners like this little loophole

While the owner's (GMs) may not like the loophole, i'm quite sure they don't care enough to give up something to the NHLPA in order to get rid of it for the 1-3 players a year it impacts that might have NHL potential.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
The Hobey Baker title will make people mock the Avs over this but the fact is that Will Butcher isn't THAT great. An undersized defenseman who can't skate is never really going to become much.

He is a lot better then what they have in the organization. They don't have many capable blue liners in the organization. Anyone with a mind knows this.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Butcher isn't NHL caliber yet. He needs a year in the AHL. He's got a lot of potential imo.

However, if I'm him and I see how the Avs are right now I'm definitely waiting it out to see what they do this offseason.

How many teams come August when he's a UFA will have an NHL spot open for him? It's AHL for him and I think he knows it. It's better for his development. I also think he does sign with the Avs provided they make the drastic changes needed.

Either way, I don't blame him for taking this approach and certainly don't see this entitled attitude some of you are.

This is one place big market teams can flex their financial muscle a bit.
You can sign him to a ELC that pays allot more for AHL time than other teams may be able to afford.
Id love to see the Leafs start offering these guys a ton more than other teams can for AHL years, even just to be able to pick the best 'free wallets' up possible.

Whats this guys biggest issue? The write up I have seen say he is good in his own zone and he seems to be decent in the O zone, but lacks the explosive first step needed in the NHL. That's something you can easily work on with a pro team.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He is a lot better then what they have in the organization. They don't have many capable blue liners in the organization. Anyone with a mind knows this.

He's probably the 4th or 5th best defensive prospect in our system right now, so that's totally incorrect.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
This is one place big market teams can flex their financial muscle a bit.
You can sign him to a ELC that pays allot more for AHL time than other teams may be able to afford.
Id love to see the Leafs start offering these guys a ton more than other teams can for AHL years, even just to be able to pick the best 'free wallets' up possible.

Whats this guys biggest issue? The write up I have seen say he is good in his own zone and he seems to be decent in the O zone, but lacks the explosive first step needed in the NHL. That's something you can easily work on with a pro team.

Where did you see or make up this nonsense?

Article 9.4 of the CBA spells out Minor League compensation for ELCs. Minimum of 35,000 (or min AHL salary if that goes up). Maximum of 70,000.

No team can offer more than 70k to play in the AHL, and almost all ELC's are at or atleast close to the max.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
why would they draft him if they "had no intentions to sign him at any point", that sounds ridiculous.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Seems like a lot of these college free agents go to whoever guarantees them playing time now, with the thought of getting to cash in, in a few years.

Well, as long as they're playing within the collectively bargained rules I can't see a problem with a player exploring their options.

Butcher, in particular was told that he wasn't wanted by the Avs so he has a right to see what else is available.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
this is true, but that also makes him the 8th or 9th best dman in the organization
zing!

I hate this loop hole :shakehead: After the abysmal season the Avs had I think just to avoid the negative PR it would be a good move to sign the 2017 HB winner from the University of Denver

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
why would they draft him if they "had no intentions to sign him at any point", that sounds ridiculous.

It happens all the time - especially when a particular team has too many prospects at one position. It's like being on an overbooked flight - someone has to be dragged out and thrown on the pavement.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
zing!

I hate this loop hole :shakehead: After the abysmal season the Avs had I think just to avoid the negative PR it would be a good move to sign the 2017 HB winner from the University of Denver

It would be a good PR move but look at it from Butcher's perspective - if you were told by a prospective employer that you weren't going to be hired wouldn't you keep that rejection in mind and explore your options?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Butcher won the Baker? My guess is he'll sign with whatever team drafts the Candle stick Makar

I'll see my way out now.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The new cba needs to add a year to players that stay the full cycle in college.

The free agents will probably just go to Europe then so why bother? The owners and players agreed to the loophole through the collective bargaining agreement so they must be onboard to some extent.

I can see Butcher having a good career in Europe. I'm not sure how he'd do in NA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad