Speculation: 2017 Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher may go UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I legit just went to look to see if his prospects board thread had as many posts as this thread did and realized what you just concluded in my journey lol.

Maybe that's how the conversation with Sakic went down.

Joe: I've been reading HFBoards (where I go for all my information), and it appears that not only are our fans not overhyping you- they haven't even acknowledged your existence...

Butcher: *gulp*

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
These college free agents so rarely workout that who cares. Just look at the insane hype Vesey got all summer, all for a whopping 27 points.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
zing!

I hate this loop hole :shakehead: After the abysmal season the Avs had I think just to avoid the negative PR it would be a good move to sign the 2017 HB winner from the University of Denver

It's not a loop hole, and both sides have a right to not sign a player to a contract. Teams draft players then walk away after 2 years without ever having offered a contract because they have better players available for their 50 spots. If owners have the right to not offer a draft pick a contract, than draftees have the right to no sign a contract that's offered to them.

It's amazing how some fans only get upset when 1 side to a contract elect to use their collectively bargained rights.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Something doesn't add up... Or something got miscommunicated. Why would they draft him if they weren't interested in signing him? Even potentially?

Organizations don't tell prospects that kind of stuff indefinitely. Burning bridges before they're even built? Seems fishy.

He was drafted in the offseason that Roy became the head coach. I'd have to imagine the scouts still followed through on their draft plans that draft.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He is a lot better then what they have in the organization. They don't have many capable blue liners in the organization. Anyone with a mind knows this.

Well this is quite wrong. Put it this way. If Butcher had been signed this year he would have spent most of the year (if not all of it) in the ECHL.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
College draft pics always scare for this exact scenario. They can outlast their control staying in college and becoming free agents. The new cba needs to add a year to players that stay the full cycle in college. I can't imagine owners like this little loophole

I don't see that happening.

The players at the greatest risk for a team are those picks from round 3 onwards because they generally take a bit longer to develop their game. Usually, they break out in year 3 (Vesey).

Only adjustment I could see the NHL doing is requiring a team that signs a guy who completes their NCAA eligibility and goes UFA, to owe the original drafting team a pick in the same round that the player was originally selected in.

So, a team would owe the Avs a 5th round pick. Nashville would get a 3rd for Vesey (which they ultimately got from Buffalo).

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I don't see that happening.

The players at the greatest risk for a team are those picks from round 3 onwards because they generally take a bit longer to develop their game. Usually, they break out in year 3 (Vesey).

Only adjustment I could see the NHL doing is requiring a team that signs a guy who completes their NCAA eligibility and goes UFA, to owe the original drafting team a pick in the same round that the player was originally selected in.

So, a team would owe the Avs a 5th round pick. Nashville would get a 3rd for Vesey (which they ultimately got from Buffalo).

extend the drafting team's rights to Nov 1st,
makes spurning the drafting team a much harder riskier decision

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
If I was Sakic I would tell the kid to do whatever makes him happy, table an offer appropriate to a low-level over-age prospect and then go back to pondering how to turn Duchene into a top 4 d-man...

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Where did you see or make up this nonsense?

Article 9.4 of the CBA spells out Minor League compensation for ELCs. Minimum of 35,000 (or min AHL salary if that goes up). Maximum of 70,000.

No team can offer more than 70k to play in the AHL, and almost all ELC's are at or atleast close to the max.

Thanks for the clairification!
I swear I heard on sports radio (Sports/TSN) this idea as a way big market teams could easily keep their bottom 6 guys coming cheap. Might have just been talking about overseas guys/ people you can sign to 2 way contracts who knows!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Something doesn't add up... Or something got miscommunicated. Why would they draft him if they weren't interested in signing him? Even potentially?

Organizations don't tell prospects that kind of stuff indefinitely. Burning bridges before they're even built? Seems fishy.

1n5et1.jpg

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For some perspective, here's a complete list of the players who won the Hobey Baker in their senior year:

2016-17 Will Butcher F Sr. Denver
2015-16 Jimmy Vesey F Sr. Harvard
2012-13 Drew LeBlanc F Sr. St. Cloud State
2011-12 Jack Connolly F Sr. Minnesota-Duluth
2010-11 Andy Miele F Sr. Miami
2009-10 Blake Geoffrion F Sr. Wisconsin
2008-09 Matt Gilroy D Sr. Boston University
2007-08 Kevin Porter F Sr. Michigan
2003-04 Junior Lessard F Sr. Minnesota-Duluth
2001-02 Jordan Leopold D Sr. Minnesota
1999-00 Mike Mottau D Sr. Boston College
1998-99 Jason Krog F Sr. New Hampshire
1997-98 Chris Drury F Sr. Boston University
1996-97 Brendan Morrison F Sr. Michigan
1995-96 Brian Bonin F Sr. Minnesota
1994-95 Brian Holzinger F Sr. Bowling Green
1993-94 Chris Marinucci F Sr. Minnesota-Duluth
1991-92 Scott Pellerin F Sr. Maine
1990-91 David Emma F Sr. Boston College
1989-90 Kip Miller F Sr. Michigan State
1988-89 Lane MacDonald F Sr. Harvard
1985-86 Scott Fusco F Sr. Harvard
1983-84 Tom Kurvers D Sr. Minnesota-Duluth
1982-83 Mark Fusco D Sr. Harvard
1981-82 George McPhee F Sr. Bowling Green

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I love it. They told him they had no interest and he's returning that right back at them. What's with Sakic and his "no intention to sign" babble? Same thing he told Wood who did quite well in the AHL this year.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Not a Rangers fan .
Of course he signs with the Rangers.
Hate the freaken Rangers .

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He wont sign with Colorado. We dont even have a need for him at this point.

He's be ridiculously far down our depth charts on Defense, and we have significantly better Puck moving/Offensive Dmen in the system then him as well.

It makes sense for him to go somewhere without a Strong Defense pool. New Jersey would make sense.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
For that reason I don't see him signing with the Rangers. After adding DeAngelo, Pionk, Bereglazov, Smith (ext) and Shattenkirk, we have too many players ahead of him on the depth chart.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Rangers, they seem to get all the big name college UFAs

NYR already signed the other ncaa desired and talented ufa RD, Pionk from Duluth
And Pedrie from Penn State. And berrglazov from khl.
And Sean Day and Zborovsky turning pro from CHL
And just added young RD DAngelo

So I would guess Butcher's team to prefer a less crowded path to NHL
I'd expect NYR to target a F, maybe a C, on August 15

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
First I've heard of him. Still as others have said these NCAA guys are miss more often than not so I don't know how sought after he would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium