Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
#8 and #37 for #5

Assume 1 - 4 is Nico, Patrick, Villardi, Heiskanen

Would Vancouver move down 4 spots?
Maybe they have Glass, Middlestadt, Tippett, Necas all rated equally.
We get Makar. They still have a choice of 2 of those 4.

This is still about drafting.

Maybe we toss in a near NHL ready forward prospect?

I think a deal like this works. I'd even think about expanding the trade to include Kane and Tanev.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
#8 and #37 for #5

Assume 1 - 4 is Nico, Patrick, Villardi, Heiskanen

Would Vancouver move down 4 spots?
Maybe they have Glass, Middlestadt, Tippett, Necas all rated equally.
We get Makar. They still have a choice of 2 of those 4.

This is still about drafting.

Maybe we toss in a near NHL ready forward prospect?

The almost constant wave of Tanev talk leads me to believe that Vancouver would just take Makar. They've got a future 2c, they really don't need to take another one with Makar still available.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
The almost constant wave of Tanev talk leads me to believe that Vancouver would just take Makar. They've got a future 2c, they really don't need to take another one with Makar still available.

They also dont have a future 1C though. My guess is they think Mittelstadt could become that.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Valimaki is not a reach at 8. Listen to literally any draft analyst, and they'll tell you that after the top 2, there is very little separation between about 20 guys.

Valimaki should still be around in the mid-teens (imo). If we're dropping back I'd look hard at Timmins. CT should be there late-teens early twenties. Kid is a gamer.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
What reputable drafting sources has him going top 3?

McKenzie has him 5th in his last consensus rankings, which likely means some of the scouts have him higher than that and some have him lower. After 2 it's anyone's guess and each team will have their preferences. Not saying Dallas has him 3rd on their board but they may well do, who knows.

EDIT: latest NHL.com mocks had him going...3, 4 and 6

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
This could likely be our last chance to get a high end forward in some time as well.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
This could likely be our last chance to get a high end forward in some time as well.

Don't worry. As long as we ignore the defense, we'll have ever more shots at the high end forward.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I want Makar so bad, more than I wanted either Bennett or Reinhart - kid has freakish talent and the fact he's doing it against Tier 2 competition doesn't worry me. Watch him, he's special and he will be special in the NCAA and in the NHL.

Most lists have him 8-10th, so he may available to us without us doing anything but anything can happen so I'd like to trade up to 5th.

Take a look at this from a few days ago, 2G 1A in a playoff game.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I like Mittelstadt over Glass, Tippett, Necas and Vilardi but I may just be biased against Vilardi based on skating/speed. I don't assume a prospect's going to make big strides in his skating, if I did there'd have been no question Draisaitl was the best prospect in 2014.

I watched 2 of Canada's U18 games just to focus on Glass and man was he disappointing. I just don't see what's going to make him a top forward in the NHL. Nothing elite in his arsenal that I saw.

There is a HUGE warning sign with Mittelstadt, if what I read in his prospect thread is true. He's said publicly that it his intention to play all 4 seasons at the University of Minnesota and there's no reason to doubt his conviction about that. This is a kid who could have gone to U of M this season but he had it in his mind that he wanted to lead his team to the state high school championship. NHL teams will interview him, they better listen very carefully to what he has to say about his plans. For some teams waiting 4 years may not be a big issue but him becoming a free agent has to be for every team.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I highly doubt a prospect like Middlestadt plays 4 years of college hockey. NCAA players with his level of talent never stay that long. Nobody forgoes 2-3 years of NHL paychecks for that. The guys who stay until they're UFAs are almost 100% guys who wouldn't/couldn't have gotten NHL contracts sooner.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah agreed. But still, I don't want to go the NCAA route for our potentially "last" high end draft pick prospect. I want them going pro by age 20, not spending their sophomore season in college. I'd pass over a Mittelstadt for Glass.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I highly doubt a prospect like Middlestadt plays 4 years of college hockey. NCAA players with his level of talent never stay that long. Nobody forgoes 2-3 years of NHL paychecks for that. The guys who stay until they're UFAs are almost 100% guys who wouldn't/couldn't have gotten NHL contracts sooner.

He may be cut from a different cloth, he appears to be.

Had he listened to his parents, he would be playing this season with the Gophers.

“My wife, Dede, and I said, ‘We think you should go,’ †said Tom Mittelstadt, who spoke for Eden Prairie hockey fans and the sport’s stay-in-high school advocates when he added, “‘But we’re glad you’re home.’â€

“He had enough backbone to say, ‘I’m going to be a high school player this year,’ †said former Gopher Scott Bell, a Pittsburgh scout. “He’s not a sheep; he’s a lion and that’s a real positive.â€

His own parents wanted him to go to U of M this year, he said no and despite not winning the state championship he says he has no regrets.

Deleted member 27798

I bet Edmonton fans felt the same way...year after year after year...until McDavid came along.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah agreed. But still, I don't want to go the NCAA route for our potentially "last" high end draft pick prospect. I want them going pro by age 20, not spending their sophomore season in college. I'd pass over a Mittelstadt for Glass.

Find a top-10 draftee who went the NCAA route in the last 8 years who stayed more than a single season in college.

I'll wait.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
8OA + 2nd rnd to move up somewhere in the 5-7 range to get Makar?

Only saying this because I don't think Makar will be around by 8. I'd say high chance Patrick/Hischier, Valardi, and Heskainen are the top 4, leaving Glass, Middlestadt, Makar, Tippet/Liljegren as the most likely left over players.

Also I've seen some pretty negative things about Liljegrens game, including scouts saying his hockey IQ is very poor, and he is constantly shooting the puck, even when the lane is blocked & there's someone else wide open for a sure goal. His skating is tops in this draft, but I'm not high on him.

Anyone know Botteril's preferences with picking prospects?

Also if by some miracle Heskainen and Makar are both on the board at 8, who do you take?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
8OA + 2nd rnd to move up somewhere in the 5-7 range to get Makar?

Only saying this because I don't think Makar will be around by 8. I'd say high chance Patrick/Hischier, Valardi, and Heskainen are the top 4, leaving Glass, Middlestadt, Makar, Tippet/Liljegren as the most likely left over players.

Also I've seen some pretty negative things about Liljegrens game, including scouts saying his hockey IQ is very poor, and he is constantly shooting the puck, even when the lane is blocked & there's someone else wide open for a sure goal. His skating is tops in this draft, but I'm not high on him.

Anyone know Botteril's preferences with picking prospects?

Also if by some miracle Heskainen and Makar are both on the board at 8, who do you take?

I have Heskainen over Makar but if they are both there, I'm doing handstands up to the stage to make the pick.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I want Makar so bad, more than I wanted either Bennett or Reinhart - kid has freakish talent and the fact he's doing it against Tier 2 competition doesn't worry me. Watch him, he's special and he will be special in the NCAA and in the NHL.

Most lists have him 8-10th, so he may available to us without us doing anything but anything can happen so I'd like to trade up to 5th.

Take a look at this from a few days ago, 2G 1A in a playoff game.

Kid has great hands, for sure, nothing about his competition comes into play evaluating that.

Can he play defense? Who's the best forward he's ever shut down?

That's the difference between your AHL all-star and NHL top pairing player.

Pretty big risk in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad