Speculation: 2017-2018 Trade Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That's some serious wishful thinking. For one, Perry is starting a family, why would he willingly leave his family or force them to go to somewhere like Carolina for example? Two, Perry does not strike me as the type of player who plays for pride. He seems like a guy who shows up and does his job and then forgets about it once he clocks out.

He’s been playing hockey his whole life. If he thinks there’s a team out there who will give him a top line role and it’s somewhere he can move his family to why wouldn’t he take it? I’m not saying he will waive it for absolutely anywhere.

I completely disagree that he does his job and doesn’t think about it after clocking out. Perry has never been that type of player, he’s always the last on the ice at warmups and always seems to take losses the hardest.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Never underestimate a players pride. If he’s stuck on the 4th line or in the press box he will waive. If he sees that coming he’s better off waiving now while another team may take him. Obviously we would have to retain but at this point I could see another team wanting him at 6M. He’s only got three years left not like he has a huge amount of term.

One has to wonder about his level of pride given the last two years and his unwillingness to even address it.

But I don't think have a baby has anything to do with his unwillingness to leave. The kid is too young to have any friends.

y0wxRUa.gif

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
He’s been playing hockey his whole life. If he thinks there’s a team out there who will give him a top line role and it’s somewhere he can move his family to why wouldn’t he take it? I’m not saying he will waive it for absolutely anywhere.

I completely disagree that he does his job and doesn’t think about it after clocking out. Perry has never been that type of player, he’s always the last on the ice at warmups and always seems to take losses the hardest.
Perry isn't a top line winger anymore, not sure what team would actually play him like one. He's got security here, I just don't see him waiving that NMC to leave what he's built in SoCal. I'd be ecstatic if he did, I just don't see a reason for him to do so.

I know he has his superstitions, like hitting the doorway and shooting the puck at the other net at warmups, but I would consider that still on the clock. Perry just doesn't strike me as a guy that works hard in the offseason to improve his game, and Murray's comments about needing Perry to buy into things in the offseason adds to that. I just don't see the pride in the game you're talking about from him, like I do in someone like Cogs or Kes.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I'd hope we don't trade Perry. I understand why people would want that, but he's been one of those guys that has done so much for this team that I wouldn't feel right cutting him loose now that his play has gone down, during the contract we decided to give him. It would be different of he was mailing it in and not trying, but that's not the case. He still goes out and gives what he can, he is just out of gas at this point, but we saw in the final game he still gets his chances, he just doesn't bury them like he used too.

Luckily we have a young defensive core, and young pieces coming up that aren't realistically going to be super impactful until his deal is up anyways, so it's not like me is going to keep us from getting a cup. Hopefully he takes this offseason seriously and comes ready for one last real crack at the cup next season.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Interestingly enough the cost to buyout Perry or Kesler is about the same, just under $18M. Of course the cap hit would be over 8 years for Kesler or 6 for Perry. But I don’t see us doing either.

Oct 18, 2011
Kesler will get a chance to come back. I don't think he's tradeable unless you're taking a bad contract back like Lucic

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I also don't believe that Kesler will be bought out. Wouldn't make any sense to get rid of him, without first seeing if he can bounce back from his injuries. And even if Kesler waived his NMC, which GM would trade for him in his current condition?

However, I do have to say that IF the Ducks were to buy somebody out, it probably would be one of Perry or Kesler. Take a look at Perry's buyout calculation, it's flat out ugly. $4.1 million buyout cap hit on the first year and on the third year, the cap hit would be a whopping $6.68 million. :help:

Kesler's buyout, on the other hand, would be much more palatable in terms of cost and cap hit. In that sense, one could argue that it'd be financially more reasonable to buy out Kesler. But like I said, I don't think it'll happen, at least not this offseason...

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I also don't believe that Kesler will be bought out. Wouldn't make any sense to get rid of him, without first seeing if he can bounce back from his injuries. And even if Kesler waived his NMC, which GM would trade for him in his current condition?

However, I do have to say that IF the Ducks were to buy somebody out, it probably would be one of Perry or Kesler. Take a look at Perry's buyout calculation, it's flat out ugly. $4.1 million buyout cap hit on the first year and on the third year, the cap hit would be a whopping $6.68 million. :help:

Kesler's buyout, on the other hand, would be much more palatable in terms of cost and cap hit. In that sense, one could argue that it'd be financially more reasonable to buy out Kesler. But like I said, I don't think it'll happen, at least not this offseason...
With Perry's bonuses the actual $$ cost for either is just under $18M.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I have heard trade/buyout likely for Kesler.
I don't see the point in that really.... I think kesler will have a much better year next season... he was pretty beat up this year and obvious he wasn't 100% Plus I'm pretty sure if we wanted to get rid of him there is prob some sort of trade market for a player like him... assuming he trends up next year.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
There is no reason to buy out Perry. He's overpaid but still pretty productive

aint that the truth. 3rd in scoring for us in the season and tied for 119th in the league for scoring. I dunno why, but he actually was shooting less last year compared to his two. Maybe he needs a therapy session to say it's okay to shoot more?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
A buyout would be pretty dramatic. That would hurt the team for a long time. But with Kesler it could be worth it since he still has 4 seasons remaining on his contract.

Honestly if you can trade the guy at 50% retained right now I would do it. Just to be done with it and able to move on.

Everyone is under the assumption he is going to heal in the offseason, but that injury could very well have permanently damaged him. I would not be surprised if he's toast.

Would be a better move than overreacting to the Perry situation who has a year less left on his contract and still can be a scoring contributor.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
There is no reason to buy out Perry. He's overpaid but still pretty productive
The buyout does two things. It reduces the amount we have to pay him by a 3rd and it extends the time we have to pay him so it helps a ton in the short run, which also happens to be the last years of our window. We would save $4.5m next year and $6m the year after. In theory we could use those savings and trade Henrique for futures and sign Tavares. Im sure it wont happen but you still have to look at the options.

Would you rather have Tavares and futures (from Henrique trade) or Henrique and Perry? You could probably get a first for henrique. We would need to move money around a bit but we could make it happen if we really wanted to. We could also go after someone else.

Just saying there are options out there and they dont look all that bad.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The buyout does two things. It reduces the amount we have to pay him by a 3rd and it extends the time we have to pay him so it helps a ton in the short run, which also happens to be the last years of our window. We would save $4.5m next year and $6m the year after. In theory we could use those savings and trade Henrique for futures and sign Tavares. Im sure it wont happen but you still have to look at the options.

Would you rather have Tavares and futures (from Henrique trade) or Henrique and Perry? You could probably get a first for henrique. We would need to move money around a bit but we could make it happen if we really wanted to. We could also go after someone else.

Just saying there are options out there and they dont look all that bad.
The window is closed already with another season of Carlyle, so a buyout just delays the reload

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If Perry is playing on our 4th line it absolutely makes sense to buy him out. We will probably need a retool and the $2m hit in years 4-6 can be absorbed during that retool. We would save $6m. I think he is more of a 3rd liner roght now so it makes sense to keep him another year and buy him out after next year when his salary spikes to $8m. He would have 2 years left and be owed $12 million so we would save $4 million.

Problem is that the Ducks would rather be pretty good forever than win a cup and be a dog for a few years because we would get killed in attendence.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If you believe that than i agree but i feel if we went big and got a guy like tavares we could win a cup
By the time RC is gone (end of next season likely) Getzlaf will be 34 years old.

They blew the rest of the window on the wrong coach. It is what it is.

I don't think we win the cup with Tavares here next year when Randy is still telling Montour to dump the puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad