2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I get that difference, but ROR is just overpaid in comparison to the league, especially when you take into account the adjustment the league has made (IE Turris' contract). Kesler has performed as well as ROR up until this season and Spezza is being wildly miscast this season, but prior was also performing better than ROR.

I'd rather ROR than Duchene at $7m... but I'd rather have Turris at $6m over both.
For 1.5M a year give me ROR over Turris anytime. 1.5M savings on the cap is chump change.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Merge or die at this point.
I don't know if The Athletic see's BSN as a quality news source. They simply came out of the ashes due to a lack of quality journalism in Denver, not because they are amazing themselves. This isn't a knock against them, but sometimes the truth just hurts.

If I were to guess, it would be an ex-Denver Post member which got fired for making a WWII joke. That's much less serious than the likes of a dude twitter talking chicks when drunk and or anybody else in the field. I agree with @Foppberg that Sadowski would be my main choice if I could pick.

Don't know how good those other sources who are joining The Athletic are...

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
As of right now, Sadowski is easily the best journalistic writer there is, IMO, for Denver hockey.

Lots of bloggers that are good reads too, but pure newspaper-like journalism, Rick seems like an ideal choice.

Reactions: McMetal

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The 1.5m makes a difference in negotiations past just ROR and Turris is 90% of the player that ROR is.

Turris has many similarities to Duchene, except that he's more of a complimentary piece than a core piece. Ottawa paid a premium to upgrade to Duchene, and Nashville settled for Turris.

Reactions: cgf

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Turris has many similarities to Duchene, except that he's more of a complimentary piece than a core piece. Ottawa paid a premium to upgrade to Duchene, and Nashville settled for Turris.

I've gone through it many times before and after the trade, but cliffs... Turris is a much better 2 way player, Duchene is more dynamic and a slightly better offensive player. Also, Nashville didn't settle for Turris, they wanted Turris.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I've gone through it many times before and after the trade, but cliffs... Turris is a much better 2 way player, Duchene is more dynamic and a slightly better offensive player. Also, Nashville didn't settle for Turris, they wanted Turris.

They wanted Turris, but preferred Duchene... just not at his price tag.

I think we'll just disagree about our evaluations between the two players and leave it at that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Preds had been after Turris since July when rumblings started to emerge that he wasn't going to re-sign with Ottawa (separate from any Duchene discussion). They were after Duchene as well, and everything is a sliding scale of a prices teams are willing to give up.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think term was a big reason why Nashville ended up with Turris over Duchene. With Turris, Nashville has a nice long cup window. It would be shorter if they had only two years with Duchene to get it done. I like the move for them in that sense. Turris will be good for years and is locked down at a very fair price.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Even if they dont "Win it all" NSH is the model org. Got Money, Got a hell of a team, still got prospects, Amaze GM
But it would be a shame if they dont.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Outside of the Avs they're the team I want to win. Like you said a model organization, insane that they were on the verge of moving. They've shown hockey works there, not going anywhere now.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sadowski is a beat writer. I get the feeling The Athletic want writers that can do stories as well.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The Preds had been after Turris since July when rumblings started to emerge that he wasn't going to re-sign with Ottawa (separate from any Duchene discussion). They were after Duchene as well, and everything is a sliding scale of a prices teams are willing to give up.

The Preds were hesitant giving up Girard for Turris, whereas with Duchene they kept interest for over a year and Poile talked about how he didn't have to give up any of his top 4 defenseman or a 1st. If Sakic was willing to give up Duchene for the Turris package, it would've happened ages ago.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Preds were hesitant giving up Girard for Turris, whereas with Duchene they kept interest for over a year and Poile talked about how he didn't have to give up any of his top 4 defenseman or a 1st. If Sakic was willing to give up Duchene for the Turris package, it would've happened ages ago.

You really have nothing to base that on, but I'm not disagreeing at all there were prices that Poile was willing to go to. What we don't know is if Poile was willing to give up more for Duchene, or if Sakic was just willing to take less for Turris. I'm sure there were some differences because of contract situations, but I doubt they were extreme. Neither of us have anything to base this off of. Ottawa on the other hand, obviously valued Duchene at a much higher level... I'd argue they were off base too.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hire Sadowski, it's a no-brainer, he's been in journalism purgatory since the News folded in '09.

If they hire Chambers, I'm keeping my BSN subscription. But I can't imagine an organization run in part by LeBrun and Mirtle would ever allow a meathead like him into their ranks.

Reactions: Foppberg

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I took a gamble...well not really, found a 40% off coupon but I had to purchase a full year...I figure at this rate, there's enough to keep me interested this year and if they do hire a meat-head I can just discontinue before the price goes back up in April 2019.

Really hoping they get Rick Sadowski or bring in someone from another state. I'd rather not see any of the other local hockey guys (Dater, Chambers, Frei, Kizla or any bloggers) writing for them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When you look at that market, it seems comparably high to me. Krejci and Spezza are close comparables, but I'd argue Krecji and Spezza were both a notch above ROR at the time. Next would be Kesler who despite his nonsense, is a comparable player. Not one makes more than ROR and Kesler makes a good chunk less. It also doesn't help that the market decided to correct itself a bit and #2Cs are being slotted down in the 5-6.5m range now. I don't blame Buffalo for signing that deal so much, but the 7.5m number raises the expectations placed upon him. If he was paid 6.25m, the story would be different.

The bolded with me is the big thing. At the time that looked like what 1b types would be getting moving forward. And in that light it was a perfectly fine contract. But in hindsight the Sabres read the market wrong on that one.

It seems like the influx of young superstar talents has caused teams to re-calibrate how much they have to save for the very best of the best a little. Which has rippled down to keep the cost of “just” very-good players down.

Have to think that a rising cap will make it easier to operate around a contract like McDavid’s, and then we’ll see GMs getting stupid with those B+ player contracts again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad