2016 World Cup of Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
TV schedule for the US has been released

13920589_10209281114077590_7068084831833297608_n.jpg
13895008_10209281114037589_6626138857426807871_n.jpg

NHL studio analyst Barry Melrose, SportsCenter anchors Steve Levy and John Buccigross and former NHL goalie Kevin Weekes will call ESPN’s telecasts of the World Cup of Hockey 2016 at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre from September 17 – October 1. A minimum of 16 games (17 if the Final goes three) will be televised.

In addition, Hall of Famers and former NHLers Chris Chelios and Brett Hull will join ESPN to provide studio analysis and work with hosts John Saunders, Adnan Virk and John Buccigross. Leah Hextall will serve as an ice-level reporter for each game. SportsCenter anchor Linda Cohn will provide features.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I live in Toronto but will most likely just be watching it on TV unless a client takes me from work...just too expensive.

In which case you would spend the majority of your time eating sushi in the lounge talking business while your seat remains empty.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm looking forward to this, if for no other reason, we get hockey sooner this year. Good since the last couple of off seasons have been longer than we Bruins fans would have liked, and I'm ready for this summer to be over.

While I like Kevin Weekes, I often feel he uses a paragraph where a sentence would've sufficed. I like his passion and his personality, he just seems to ramble a bit.

It's been a long time, but I recall liking Levy and Buccigross on hockey. And I usually dig Melrose.

Leah Hextall is good; I would've preferred Kathryn Tappen but I understand she's under contract with a rival network.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I am very curious to see how this plays out.
Will the boys really play hard to win this (hitting etc) or is this going to be some type of all starish shinny?

Some of the fondest memories in hockey life come from the Canada Cups etc, I am sure they will all try to pull on those strings - but can they make a new legacy for this or will it come off as a cash grab internationalists movement?

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Will the boys really play hard to win this (hitting etc) or is this going to be some type of all starish shinny?

Some of the fondest memories in hockey life come from the Canada Cups etc, I am sure they will all try to pull on those strings - but can they make a new legacy for this or will it come off as a cash grab internationalists movement?

It's a cash-grab shinny tournament.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

I agree. Those Canada Cups were so great and so memorable.

I'm staying positive. I have high hopes and would love nothing more than to see them create something new to get excited about. I like the format. I like the teams. I like the jerseys. All that's left is to deliver the on-ice product.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
David Krejci - C - Bruins

David Krejci (hip) could sit out the World Cup of Hockey.
According to a report from Czech sports news site, iSport.cz, Krejci has been warned by his doctors not to push it and play in the upcoming tournament. "According to [my doctor]... I could play another five, six, seven seasons," said Krejci, who underwent hip surgery in May. "He advises me not to hurry to return and risk unnecessary problems for next season." He hasn't been ruled out yet and we'll keep you posted on his status.
Source: Cat Silverman for Today's Slapshot
Aug 6 - 4:11 P

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I don't like the dumb gimmick teams and I will be going back to Moscow during the tournament, so I don't think i will ever watch on tv.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'll probably watch, since I'm already starved for hockey. But I'd be happy if they got rid of it.

I think from that same Czech report, I read something about Krejci saying the WCoH was "bigger than the Olympics". Seriously? Say what you will about corruption, the Olympics has history and symbolism. The WCoH has Europe, which, last I checked, is the team that sang "The Final Countdown".

I mean, from the players' perspective, the WCoH is a lot nicer - I'd rather be put up in a Toronto hotel that's near my "work" city, and have a city that can function because mine is the only sport playing. It's a whole lot better than being put in makeshift athlete dorms in Sochi and/or Pyongyang with thousands of athletes and where the city is paralyzed due to temporary athletic tourism.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

According to a report from Czech sports news site, iSport.cz, Krejci has been warned by his doctors not to push it and play in the upcoming tournament. "According to [my doctor]... I could play another five, six, seven seasons," said Krejci, who underwent hip surgery in May. "He advises me not to hurry to return and risk unnecessary problems for next season." He hasn't been ruled out yet and we'll keep you posted on his status.

For the millions upon millions that the Bruins are paying him I would hope they will be his top consideration and he will not push his injury unnecessarily.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
It may be a cash grab, but hockey players playing for their country won't be playing shinny.

Who are we?
"North American stars under 23!!!!!"
Now let's go out there and win something for this demographic!

You're right, in part. But stupid gimmick teams ruin this for me.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Who are we?
"North American stars under 23!!!!!"
Now let's go out there and win something for this demographic!

You're right, in part. But stupid gimmick teams ruin this for me.

Who cares if it's a gimmick, we get to see Eichel and McDavid together.

What made those old Canada Cups so special was the chance to watch Gretzky and Lemieux on the same line. I wasn't rooting for Canada. I was just rooting for great hockey, and I got it. Sometimes, the most creative hockey comes from the young players. I can't wait to see what these kids do.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I agree. Those Canada Cups were so great and so memorable.

I'm staying positive. I have high hopes and would love nothing more than to see them create something new to get excited about. I like the format. I like the teams. I like the jerseys. All that's left is to deliver the on-ice product.

I agree, Bill. I would even go so far as to say that the Canada Cup was the sporting event that I always looked forward to more than any other.

Hockey so ****ing good one could cry.

I can't wait for this to start.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

According to his doctor he could play 5-7 more seasons? Like "could, if you be careful and don't screw it up?"

Have no idea how legitimate that alleged comment is, but it's not exactly a vote of confidence in my mind...almost sounds like he could also be gone in 3,4, 5 seasons.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Who cares if it's a gimmick, we get to see Eichel and McDavid together.

What made those old Canada Cups so special was the chance to watch Gretzky and Lemieux on the same line. I wasn't rooting for Canada. I was just rooting for great hockey, and I got it. Sometimes, the most creative hockey comes from the young players. I can't wait to see what these kids do.

If the NHL doesn't want to go to the Olympics anymore, they need to create a WCoH that will appeal to an international audience. That starts by creating legitimacy.

Creating gimmicky teams like team Europe or Team U-23 doesn't do that, and simply reinforces the idea that this is just a cash grab all star game. Will they be celebrating in the streets of Berlin, Bratislava, Copenhagen, Ljubljana and Oslo if team Europe wins? Will anyone give a damn if the U-23s win? International competition is successful because even non-fans of the sport will watch and get behind their country. Appealing to the hardcore fan who talk about hockey in August isn't doing anything to increase interest.

I have zero interest in watching McDavid play with Eichel. Who cares? What reason do they have to play together aside from some NHL what if story line for fans who follow the draft?

I want to see McDavid in red and white scoring the winning goal and Canada winning the Gold. Seeing that live in Moscow was the best thing these eyes have seen in person ;). Bruins winning the cup in my life is still number one, but I saw it on tv.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I'll probably watch, since I'm already starved for hockey. But I'd be happy if they got rid of it.

I think from that same Czech report, I read something about Krejci saying the WCoH was "bigger than the Olympics". Seriously? Say what you will about corruption, the Olympics has history and symbolism. The WCoH has Europe, which, last I checked, is the team that sang "The Final Countdown".

I mean, from the players' perspective, the WCoH is a lot nicer - I'd rather be put up in a Toronto hotel that's near my "work" city, and have a city that can function because mine is the only sport playing. It's a whole lot better than being put in makeshift athlete dorms in Sochi and/or Pyongyang with thousands of athletes and where the city is paralyzed due to temporary athletic tourism.

:laugh: Wrong one

Europe vs North American in Montreal? Is that even part of the tournament?

No, the ones to the right are.

tkddad

Jan 8, 2009
Waterloo
The 1987 Canada Cup finals between Canada and the USSR in which all 3 games ended with the score of 6-5 were some of the best hockey I have ever watched. That line of
Gretzky, Lemieux and Hawerchuk was magical.

If that's the type of shinny tournament we are talking about, sign me up.

That being said, a month before the tournament starts and they still want to force you to buy tickets for the whole series is definitely a cash grab. Tickets must be selling really well. I wouldn't mind paying to see a game or two but shelling out thousands of dollar, no thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad