Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v22) Next: @ CLE| Sun, Aug 21| 1pmET/10amPT | Stroman vs Kluber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
On the subject of 'struck out the side', we got a very interesting example a couple of innings ago when Stroman had 3Ks but one reached, and the other out was a ground out.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
I really believe this Cleveland team is going to be the biggest hurdle come playoff time. Good pitching and alot of switch hitters. Very rarely does the pitcher have the advantage against the indiams hitters.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I know Clemens did it as a Jay but are there any other pitchers to have 4 SOs in an inning? Morrow?

According to baseball almanac, the only Blue Jay to do it is Delabar on Aug 13, 2012. Clemens isn't listed as doing it at all.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats19.shtml

On the subject of 'struck out the side', we got a very interesting example a couple of innings ago when Stroman had 3Ks but one reached, and the other out was a ground out.

Yeah. For me that's not striking out the side because there ended up being a baserunner (and an out was a non-strikeout). When someone says "the side" i take it to mean the totality of batters that a pitcher faces in an inning, so striking out the side means you struck out every single one of them, or in other words it's 3 batters faced, 3 Ks. If someone reaches base, he's part of "the side" and was not put out via K

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I really believe this Cleveland team is going to be the biggest hurdle come playoff time. Good pitching and alot of switch hitters. Very rarely does the pitcher have the advantage against the indiams hitters.

Thankfully, only Stroman and Sanchez show any sort of really pronounced batter-handedness splits. Liriano too, but it's a smaller sample size, especially vs the AL.

Pitcher|wOBA vs LHB|wOBA vs RHB
Aaron Sanchez|.302|.250
Marco Estrada|.276|.267
J.A. Happ|.287|.293
Marcus Stroman|.338|.297
R.A. Dickey|.345|.339
Francisco Liriano*|.330|.358

*full-season stats including his Pittsburgh play.

Again for the benefit of those who don't know, the wOBA scale for pitchers (basically the inverse of the hitter one) would be something like this:

|wOBA
Excellent|.290
Great|.300
Above Average|.310
Average|.320
Below Average|.340
Poor|.370
Awful|.400

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't think I've ever seen this before.

That shuffling is probably a balk, but the home plate ump did call timeout. So both umps are right, but the HP ump's call supersedes the balk cal. Damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad