Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v22) Next: @ CLE| Sun, Aug 21| 1pmET/10amPT | Stroman vs Kluber

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
Looking at the upcoming schedule it would be nice to go 5 and 1 or better and get some seperation between us and boston/baltimore. Next 6 games are very winnable.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Updated the Buck drinking game for a few things I realized I forgot:

Buck Martinez Drinking Game, v0.7b

1 Drink:

• Starts a HR call on a ball that stays in play (ie "Hits it high and deep and.... caught on the warning track")
  • Says "little looper"
  • Gets players confused for one another/refers to the wrong player (confusion is between players who are both in the game/on the teams playing. Confusing a player in the game for someone not in the game being played counts as the 2-drink version)
  • Calls someone "a baseball player" as a compliment
  • Pronounces a player's name in an odd fashion/with odd emphasis (ie "David OR-tiz" vs the commonly accepted "David or-TIZ")
  • Gets the inning or score wrong
  • Fumbles his way through a promo/advertising plug

2 Drinks:

• Segues from someone else's comment with "it sure is, <name>" or some variation thereof ("they sure are"/"it sure was"/etc.)
  • Casually compares a player to an obscure player from his playing days as if anyone under 40 knows who he's talking about.
  • Uses "struck out the side" or some variation thereof in an inning where there were baserunners between the strikeouts*
  • Gets a player's name wrong (ie "Barwin Darney" or uses the wrong first/last name)**
  • Makes a self-deprecating joke about how much he sucked as a player
  • Talks about George Brett in a game involving the Royals
  • Talks about Derek Jeter in a game involving the Yankees
  • Describes the action on the field in a way that is blatantly contradictory to what you can see on TV (ie talks about a player getting hit in the arm when he got hit in the hip. Says a guy hit a 2-run HR when it was a solo. Devon Travis had a 2-out hit last time up when his previous AB was to start the game, etc.)
  • Explains what WHIP stands for (only if Buck does it)

Chug:

• Talks about George Brett in a game not involving the Royals
  • Talks about Derek Jeter in a game not involving the Yankees
  • Says something that makes absolutely no sense (either the point is nonsense or his sentence construction is unintelligible)
  • Repeats a comment/point/analysis made by someone else in the booth as if he clearly wasn't paying attention to the conversation.
  • Rants about pitcher wins or RBI being an important stat and how you measure a pitcher/hitter's success.
  • Complains about analytics
  • says "fisted"

*I know that by some definitions "striking out the side" is just getting all 3 outs via K regardless of whatever else happens (hits, walks, HBPs, etc), but I'm a purist. I've always felt the phrase is reserved for the pitcher facing the minimum 3 batters in the inning, and striking out each one.

**This differs from confusing the players. The 1 drink confusion is for calling someone by the name of another player on the team (referring to Donaldson at first base when it's actually Saunders, saying a ball was caught by Travis when it was caught by Goins, etc), the 2 drink confusion is for referring to someone with a plain wrong name (like how he once said Melvin Upton's HR was by Justin Upton before correcting himself. Referring to Melvin as BJ counts as 2 as well.

I'm taking suggestions for changes and additions.

Last edited:

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Should be drink for complaints about a hit through shift after the shift robbed two or more hits earlier in the game.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

1 Drink:

• Starts a HR call on a ball that stays in play (ie "Hits it high and deep and.... caught on the warning track")
  • Says "little looper"
  • Gets players confused for one another/refers to the wrong player.
  • Calls someone "a baseball player"
  • Pronounces a player's name in an odd fashion/with odd emphasis (ie "David OR-tiz" vs the commonly accepted "David or-TIZ")

2 Drinks:

• Segues from someone else's comment with "it sure is, <name>" or some variation thereof ("they sure are"/"it sure was"/etc.)
  • Casually compares a player to an obscure player from his playing days as if anyone under 40 knows who he's talking about.
  • Uses "struck out the side" or some variation thereof in an inning where there were baserunners between the strikeouts*
  • Gets a player's name wrong (ie "Barwin Darney" or uses the wrong first/last name)**
  • Describes the action on the field in a way that is blatantly contradictory to what you can see on TV (ie talks about a player getting hit in the arm when he got hit in the hip. Says a guy hit a 2-run HR when it was a solo. Devon Travis had a 2-out hit last time up when his previous AB was to start the game, etc.)

Chug:

• Says something that makes absolutely no sense (either the point is nonsense or his sentence construction is unintelligible)
  • Repeats a comment/point/analysis made by someone else in the booth as if he clearly wasn't paying attention to the conversation.
  • Rants about pitcher wins or RBI being an important stat and how you measure a pitcher/hitter's success.
  • says "fisted"

*I know that by some definitions "striking out the side" is just getting all 3 outs via K regardless of whatever else happens (hits, walks, HBPs, etc), but I'm a purist. I've always felt the phrase is reserved for the pitcher facing the minimum 3 batters in the inning, and striking out each one.

**This differs from confusing the players. The 1 drink confusion is for calling someone by the name of another player on the team (referring to Donaldson at first base when it's actually Saunders, saying a ball was caught by Travis when it was caught by Goins, etc), the 2 drink confusion is for referring to someone with a plain wrong name (like how he once said Melvin Upton's HR was by Justin Upton before correcting himself. Referring to Melvin as BJ counts as 2 as well.

Chug your drink when Buck tries to pronounce Ezequial Carreras name in a fancy way

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016

1 Drink:

• Says "little looper"
  • Gets players confused for one another/refers to the wrong player.
  • Calls someone "a baseball player"

2 Drinks:

• Segues from someone else's comment with "it sure is <name>" or some variation thereof ("they sure are"/"it sure was"/etc.)

Chug:

• says "fisted"

"Im a purist"...if these are all your rules for your drinking game it sounds like your an alcoholic too.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Gee Buck, it's almost like most of Stroman's peripherals pointed to his slow start being an oddity and that it was probable he'd turn it around and go back to being the player we expect him to be. :sarcasm:

I so want to count that rant as one about pitcher wins. But it's not enough about wins, it's just using them in service to his talk about Stroman's struggles.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016

1 Drink:

• Says "little looper"
  • Gets players confused for one another/refers to the wrong player (confusion is between players who are both in the game/on the teams playing. Confusing a player in the game for someone not in the game being played counts as the 2-drink version)
  • Calls someone "a baseball player" as a compliment

2 Drinks:

Chug:

• says "fisted"

I got one. Everytime the camera is pointed at Bucks face he rotates his head from left to right so the camera gets both sides of his face. He does it 20 times a minute

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Chug your drink when Buck tries to pronounce Ezequial Carreras name in a fancy way

Odd pronunciations are already a 1 drink item. I just used David Ortiz as the example. Carrera would count (Buck's "ez-ee-key-EL" vs the normal "ez-EE-key-el")

"Im a purist"...if these are all your rules for your drinking game it sounds like your an alcoholic too.

:laugh: I'm actually not much of a drinker. If I were playing along I'd probably just do it with a pop or a water or something, especially since most games are morning/early afternoon for me. :laugh: The purist comment is just because I've ranted before about how wrong it feels when Buck says "struck out the side" and the inning was K -> K -> walk -> hit -> walk -> K. I'm a believer that striking out the side means you struck out THE WHOLE side. That you faced 3 batters and 3 batters only and struck out each one. That guy that got a hit or a walk was part of "the side" too.

Should be a drink when Buck does his whistle laugh.

That's rare enough I could probably make it 2 drinks.

Nemesis: how could you not include Buck saying "Get up ball" on a lazy fly ball in v0.7b? :shakehead

I had lumped that into the non-HR HR call, but maybe we could separate it for clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad