2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd trade Chicagos first for Drouin. But i wouldn't trade our own first. Not a chance.

I don't think Drouins value is very high at all. I'm not sure why it would be or how it could be even.

I like Drouin and think he has some talent but... this is gonna be his 3rd full year after being drafted coming up, drafted 2013, it's now gonna be the 2016 draft. I don't see how is value is a top 10 pick. I'm not sure what i'd give up for him right now actually, Chicagos first? Probably but it also depends on what's available when we pick.

Drouin obviously has some issues. Red Flags for sure. Is he worth taking a chance on? probably but again, i don't think his value is that high at all.

So he is worth taking a chance on but you wouldn't be willing to take a chance on him. Taking a chance would mean paying something of high value in the assumption, or the hope, that he is still a high value player. You would not pay a high value therefore you are not willing to take a chance on him. You are only willing to pay a low price. You still have that hope that he is a high value player but you want to steal him or no dice.

The evidence says he is still that high value player but because he stood up to what he perceived as poor management (right or wrong) people want to condemn him as a "spoiled brat". I always make an effort to hear both sides of a story before passing judgement. In this case I haven't heard either side. All I know is that there are 2 sides and they are in a dispute. Why don't I hear anyone calling Yzerman or Cooper "spoiled brats"?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What we do know is we are talking about a 20 year old that is putting his desire to accumulate points ahead of the team's need for the players to trust the coach's decisions are in the interests of helping the team win.

You're right about not knowing all the specifics. But what we do know is this guy has shown he is willing to put himself above the team because his next contract isn't what he hoped it would be on draft day.

It doesn't mean he can't do well with a fresh start. But it's a huge red flag. The fact he's sitting at home now is nobody's fault but his own.

Based on how good Drouin's scoring rate has been I'd be willing to trade Petan, our 2nd, and one of our lesser prospects for him. His age fits in very well.

I agree that Drouin and/or his manager have handled this badly. The best thing he could have done would have been to play in the AHL and rack up points at an unprecedented level. That would have ensured retaining his value and negated all this "selfish", "spoiled brat" talk. I can't deny the image some people are casting him in either. I just don't know and I'm pretty sure no one else here does either.

I can remember players like Bobby Baun being portrayed as selfish rebels too in the days before a player's union. Stand up to authority and some people will automatically see you as being in the wrong. I believe we are seeing that again here.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Ya know.. Keller is 10 months younger than Matthews and his numbers this season are very similar to Matthews from last year.

He's small but if we end up picking a bit further back in the top-10 I think he's a guy I could get behind.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Ya know.. Keller is 10 months younger than Matthews and his numbers this season are very similar to Matthews from last year.

He's small but if we end up picking a bit further back in the top-10 I think he's a guy I could get behind.

Keller is really, really good

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

Pronman ranking Keller so high has me wanting to take a long hard look at him.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Keller is really, really good

Yuuup. I"m gonna have to change my tune soon and add another guy to my "good list".

The concern their is size. He's just small enough to make me uncomfortable, but i'd still probably take him over anyone else outside of that top 4-5

He's destroying the USHL

That's the amazing thing about getting Kyle Connor. So rare you get decent size and Amazing scoring that deep in the first round.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=120205

Overager but had decent stats last year, worth a draft?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=236818

Young swiss goalie with decent stats as well.

Not Interested I. Either really.

19 y/o doesn't help because he'll have to be stashed In the ECHL or AHL next year and, while goalies are voodoo, I'd need to see pretty glowing scouting reviews to get excited about a guy who's only broken a .910 once

Don't like the other guy either. Have no idea what the stats should be but again, sub .900 doesn't inspire confidence.

Should also mention sv% is the only one I care about. GAA and Wins are team stats. Goalies only control their sv%

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Of those the only one that looks remotely interesting to me is Tage Thompson.

None of the dmen have/are breaking the .5 ppg threshold, (though one's scoring OK in the allsvenskan..)

Everyone else is in their 18 y/o season and not really producing at the point you'd expect, and the ones that are had pretty weak 17 y/o season.

Not getting too excited for any of them, though Thompson's NCAA production as an 18 yearold is nice.

Well I like what I read about Dhalenfor sure. Looks like he's got a lot of skill.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
IMO the jets should pick the BPA with their first but the best LHD for the late first rounder they got from CHI.

What if BPA is a LHD? :sarcasm:
2 LHD's please!
You could very easily make an argument for a LHD to be BPA at almost any pick in the first round from at least 3rd overall to 30th. Unless one of the big name guys falls to you late.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Am I the only one that feels Chych is underrated? I think everyone leap frogged him because of World Jrs, where he didn't have a chance to play. I still think this guy is a top 5 talent, mixed reviews on him but this guy will be good. I think you take him as first D, and he goes 4 or 5 depending on team.
Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi
Chych
Dubois
Nylander
Tkachuk

That's how I see the top 7 right now.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Am I the only one that feels Chych is underrated? I think everyone leap frogged him because of World Jrs, where he didn't have a chance to play. I still think this guy is a top 5 talent, mixed reviews on him but this guy will be good. I think you take him as first D, and he goes 4 or 5 depending on team.
Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi
Chych
Dubois
Nylander
Tkachuk

It's mostly a fear that he succeeds in Jr b/c of his physical tools but that he lacks hockey IQ, essentially that he is Zach Bogosian

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I agree that Drouin and/or his manager have handled this badly. The best thing he could have done would have been to play in the AHL and rack up points at an unprecedented level. That would have ensured retaining his value and negated all this "selfish", "spoiled brat" talk. I can't deny the image some people are casting him in either. I just don't know and I'm pretty sure no one else here does either.

I can remember players like Bobby Baun being portrayed as selfish rebels too in the days before a player's union. Stand up to authority and some people will automatically see you as being in the wrong. I believe we are seeing that again here.

Think that the issue with Drouin is much,much broader than that Mort.

We clearly don`t "know" anything with certainty but there is far too much chatter on the main boards which suggest that this goes beyond being a well defined "character" issue; that it goes well beyond simply "standing up to authority"; and, that it is in no way shape or form comparable to the Seguin situation. IMO,the most troubling aspect to some of the chatter is that Drouin has , from his early days in junior right to the present,consistently rejected authority and tried to impose his views on everything from the team he wanted to play for to the linemates he wanted to play with, AND when challenged, has dealt with the differences in a juvenile entitled,self-serving way ie "it`s my way or the highway".

As mentioned above, this is only chatter, but IMO the risks to the downside for the team securing his services are huge. Would sure hope that Chevy has taken an exhaustive, comprehensive approach in doing his due diligence on this guy!

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi
Chych
Dubois
Nylander
Tkachuk

I still can't bring myself to give Tkachuk a top 10 spot. I have Sergachev above Nylander and Tkachuk right now. Likely Keller and Juolevi above Tkachuk as well.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Me today, but maybe not tomorrow

Matthews
----
Laine
----
Puljujarvi
----
Dubois
----
Chych
Tkachuk
Nylander
Sergachev
Keller*
Juolevi
---
Undecided

Guys in same tier really can vary quite a bit depending on my mood-au-de-jour.

*I think Keller is getting madly underrated by some scouting services right now with what he's doing in the USHL right now

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Me today, but maybe not tomorrow

Matthews
----
Laine
----
Puljujarvi
----
Dubois
----
Chych
Tkachuk
Nylander
Sergachev
Keller*
Juolevi
---
Undecided

Guys in same tier really can vary quite a bit depending on my mood-au-de-jour.

*I think Keller is getting madly underrated by some scouting services right now with what he's doing in the USHL right now

I'm surprised you have Chych as top D, thought you'd go with Serg

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
When I saw how many SOG he generated I literally went :amazed:

Everything about him seems very impressive. The real test of his abilities will be seeing what he can do at BU next year. If he can continue scoring at a high pace he may be a real mid round steal. Hard to say if any teams have him very high.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
My tiers...

Matthews
----
Laine
----
Puljujarvi
Dubois
Chychrun
----
Sergachev
Keller
Nylander
Juolevi
---
Jost
Tkachuk
Gauthier
McLeod
Fabbro
---
Bellows
Bean
Rubstov
Jones
Brown

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Top 5 pick would be very nice.

Matthews, Pulju, Laine, PLD, Chychrun....

Just a hunch that there might be a bit of a drop-off after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad