Prospect Info: 2016 Draft | Trading Down From #4 Less Likely Now According to Stauffer

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The problem with the Oilers moving up is that the player Columbus would want (a C) is going to be available around 6 or 7 at least. So it makes more sense for them to move back a bit further and get more than what the Oilers would give up.

Like....

What would the Blue Jackets rather do. Trade back one spot and get a 3rd rounder. Or move back 4 spots and add a late first? They still end up with the guy they want. They just get much more for the move.

If they want a center it is Brown or PLD. PLD seems a lock go top 5 and it would not surprise me at all if Calgary picked Brown. I think #6 is as far as they can go to be safe. I think the Oilers have more expendable assets than Calgary or Vancouver as far as moving up is concerned.

Last edited:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
If they want a center it is Brown or PLD. PLD seems a lock go top 5 and it would not surprise me at all if Calgary picked Brown. I think #6 is as far as they can go to be safe. I think the Oilers have more expendable assets than Calgary or Vancouver as far as moving up is concerned.

Agreed.

#3 Vancouver - Puljujarvi
#4 Oilers - Tkachuk
#5 Calgary - PLD
#6 Columbus - Brown

Arizona and Buffalo are more likely to take a D imo, but if Vancouver stays at 6 I think they likely take PLD or Brown. #6 is the lowest they could go to grab Brown.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

And the they'd have the concern of the Oilers (and possibly, but not probably, the Canucks) trading the pick if someone wants Brown more.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
And the they'd have the concern of the Oilers (and possibly, but not probably, the Canucks) trading the pick if someone wants Brown more.

True but if the top 3 go as we expect it to, do you think many teams are going to trade up for Brown at 4 instead of also making a deal to get him at 6?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
True but if the top 3 go as we expect it to, do you think many teams are going to trade up for Brown at 4 instead of also making a deal to get him at 6?

If Columbus trades down first, I think all odds are out the window.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I posted this in the rumours thread and thought it also belonged here;

Not sure if you guys are going to love this one:

One of the head scouts for the Oilers has put together a huge pitch for Logan Brown. It sounds like he's convinced at least a few guys in front office management. One option being explored right now is for the Oilers to trade down, with the hope that he's available at 9 or 10. Both the Habs and the Avs have extended offers to swap picks. It's rumoured the Habs are offering Beaulieu+9 and the Avs are offering Barrie+10 for 4th overall. My speculation is that the Habs want Dubois, Avs want Tkachuk.

It is my belief that if the Oilers make a deal, and Brown ends up being picked, then they will go on to trade the 9/10 pick as well.

This is a very fluid situation right now. I don't subscribe to the belief that the Oilers have made up their mind one way or another about what to do with that pick.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

This is a very fluid situation right now. I don't subscribe to the belief that the Oilers have made up their mind one way or another about what to do with that pick.

That line of thinking is just faulty and very oileresque. Really like a certain player , trade down and then have a very good chance he gets picked ahead of them.

If the Oilers love this guy that much you take him at 4. If the Oilers are trading down to 9 or 10 you better have at lest 3 or 4 guys you value highly and are happy with.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I'd take Barrie + 10th for 4th. At 10 you can still draft one of Sergachev, Juolevi, Chyrchrun, Fabbro or Bean. I wouldn't be mad with Jost at that spot either.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

I can't imagine they'd pass on Barrie unless his contract demands are out to lunch? Even if Brown is gone, they might have Chyrchun fall into their lap at 10.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I think there's almost no chance that Brown is available at 9 or 10.

I do like the idea of getting Brown though. He's basically a Draisaitl that makes Draisaitl look small.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I do like the idea of getting Brown though. He's basically a Draisaitl that makes Draisaitl look small.

The hype train on Brown is just going to keep picking up steam over the next two weeks. The lowest he'll go is Calgary imo, and I have a feeling the Jackets will take him at #3 when all is said and done. Especially if the smoke about us liking him picks up even more.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Who is a better player right now Puljujarvi or Tkachuk?
I get the feeling that if Tkachuk was a better skater it would be him. If he improves that part of his game then you pretty much have an ideal, 1st line scoring winger with character, skill etc. Puljujarvi strikes me as someone who is more well rounded but may not end up as dynamic. He reminds me of a Wayne Simmonds type.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id like to take a swing at a D at 32. Dineen, Girard or a faller from Bean/Fabbro/MacAvoy

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The concern I have with Logan Brown is that while I like what I see of him in highlights, Chiarelli goes on about how Brown had a breakout 2nd half of his season when in actual fact if you look at his scoring numbers it was really a big final month of the season that bumped up his counting numbers.

Is that indicative of a breakout, or of someone who went on a hot streak at the absolute perfect time to get on the front burner of the memories of team scouts? It just worries me that if it's the latter, the Oilers are going to be fooled into thinking he has more offensive potential than he really does.

Though to be fair, it's not just the Oilers who are propping him up as a potential top 5 pick, he's a rising name in these final couple of weeks leading up to the draft.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The concern I have with Logan Brown is that while I like what I see of him in highlights, Chiarelli goes on about how Brown had a breakout 2nd half of his season when in actual fact if you look at his scoring numbers it was really a big final month of the season that bumped up his counting numbers.

Is that indicative of a breakout, or of someone who went on a hot streak at the absolute perfect time to get on the front burner of the memories of team scouts? It just worries me that if it's the latter, the Oilers are going to be fooled into thinking he has more offensive potential than he really does.

Though to be fair, it's not just the Oilers who are propping him up as a potential top 5 pick, he's a rising name in these final couple of weeks leading up to the draft.

Even if RNH is traded, which I don't think anyone knows for sure, AND his breakout near the end of the year is for real, where is he going to play? In 3 years is he better than Draisaitl? I personally have my doubts.

Are we drafting a 3C that needs 3 to 5 years to develop?

And if he needed a hot streak to score 20 goals and less than 75 points, isn't that a bit concerning?

I just don't see how we take him ahead of a good winger or dman unless we think he's clearly the BPA, which doesn't seem to be a thing amongst scouts.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Me new hope is that Columbus cant find a trading partner and just takes a centre at 3.

We get the overpay for the pick at 4. or take Pulju at 4 :handclap:

Otherwise if we trade down I think im in the minority but i want Chychrun if we are in that 7-10 spot.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The hype train on Brown is just going to keep picking up steam over the next two weeks. The lowest he'll go is Calgary imo, and I have a feeling the Jackets will take him at #3 when all is said and done. Especially if the smoke about us liking him picks up even more.

Don't know about the Jackets, but with everything going on in Calgary now and a push to get bigger and better asap. I would all but guarantee Brown isn't getting by Calgary unless something truly bizarre happens, like Van going off the board with thier pick and one of the big 5 drops to them.

As talented as Nylander is, he is exactly the kind of player Calgary does not need right now.

They will end up the tiniest team in the west if they keep going as they are.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

I think Draisaitl has better hands and creativity, but there's no doubt that Brown is huge and a more fluid and natural skater, which is amazing considering his freakish size for a forward.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Dubois simply looks too good to pass on, if we retain the pick. Big skilled, drives offense, net presence, defensively aware, can play C or wing. Protected from an expansion draft is also huge. What's not to like.

Sergachyov looks great too but I don't think the Oilers are willing to risk moving down past the 7 pick as all of their likely coveted Dubois, Tkachuk and Serg could be gone by then.

I also believe Colorado would love to move up for a shot at Dubois, might Col offer Barrie and #10 for #4 +? That is still the framework of a deal I could see happening... Or straight across for Faulk...

15 more days...

I am a Tkachuk guy-- I was a seguin guy (but split in my mind 55/45) until the combine interviews where Hall flat out said he wanted to be an OIler (showed on Oil change the day before the draft). I was a trade down guy in 2011 (RNH wowed me to shut me up in reg season). I was a Murray guy in yaks draft. Drais I battled on these boards for over bennet

I think Dubois and Tkachuk will be as close as Hall and Seguin. I think it is really tough and id rather have one of those guys in the organization rather than using that pick as the major piece to an acquisition.

I would rather see a player under contract be the big piece moving out for a D. especially with expansion and needing to change the core a bit

Also this organization is NOT going to improve with a rookie D. Chia is smart enough to know this draft will answer nothing for our D. We need results now. Chia knows this. we don't have 3-5 years to MAYBE have an NHL player

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I am a Tkachuk guy-- I was a seguin guy (but split in my mind 55/45) until the combine interviews where Hall flat out said he wanted to be an OIler (showed on Oil change the day before the draft). I was a trade down guy in 2011 (RNH wowed me to shut me up in reg season). I was a Murray guy in yaks draft. Drais I battled on these boards for over bennet

I think Dubois and Tkachuk will be as close as Hall and Seguin. I think it is really tough and id rather have one of those guys in the organization rather than using that pick as the major piece to an acquisition.

I would rather see a player under contract be the big piece moving out for a D. especially with expansion and needing to change the core a bit

Also this organization is NOT going to improve with a rookie D. Chia is smart enough to know this draft will answer nothing for our D. We need results now. Chia knows this. we don't have 3-5 years to MAYBE have an NHL player

I think when it's that close you go with positional need. If we are intending to trade away a LW Tkachuk is good. But if you trade away Nuge I think we really should take Dubious.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think when it's that close you go with positional need. If we are intending to trade away a LW Tkachuk is good. But if you trade away Nuge I think we really should take Dubious.

With Dubois's limited experience at center and a skillset that's more suited to the wing, I wouldn't be projecting Dubois as a center just yet.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
With Dubois's limited experience at center and a skillset that's more suited to the wing, I wouldn't be projecting Dubois as a center just yet.

His success, limited tho it is has been as a center.

His skill set is more/at least equally suited to center than either Mcdavid or Nuge if we are talking traditional.

Dubious has size, speed, and solid two way hockey sense from what I have heard. If in different quantities than those other two. Pretty much a perfect centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad