2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
:nod:

But since he's likely to go top 2-3.... and I expect us to be more in the 6-10 range (barring Lottery luck)

Juolevi-Risto

The Finnish Finale

Juolevi is an interesting prospect. I'm a bit familiar with him when he played in juniors in Jokerit (not a ton, though).

As a prospect he is really similar with Määttä. And as a prospect his potential has been considered higher than Määttä's. Määttä made strides regarding his development that were pretty unexpected, though.

Juolevi is most likely best Finnish d-man prospect after Urho Vaakanainen atm.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Juolevi is an interesting prospect. I'm a bit familiar with him when he played in juniors in Jokerit (not a ton, though).

As a prospect he is really similar with Määttä. And as a prospect his potential has been considered higher than Määttä's. Määttä made strides regarding his development that were pretty unexpected, though.

Juolevi is most likely best Finnish d-man prospect after Urho Vaakanainen atm.

He looks awesome in London already.

Not sure I agree with the Maata comparison (very similar?). I think Juolevi has shown far greater offensive instinct and attack mentality at this stage. While they are both very well rounded, high end guys for sure. I think Juolevi has shown a higher upside, especially offensively. While Maata definitely had a edge in defensive zone composition at a young age.

He's going to blow Maata's offensive numbers in London out of the water.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
It will certainly require luck, but we're due.

It would be rather fitting if we won the lottery this year, it would also be rather Buffalo if we didn't.

I'm not getting my hopes up for this one.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Really like Fabbro. This has absolutely nothing to do with his recent commit to BU or anything... :sarcasm:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If I were Murray, I'd play it this way:

By the trade deadline, I would see the team in one of three ways. Either out of playoff contention, in the playoffs, or borderline.

If I were out of the playoffs, I'd let the team continue to develop, but not sacrifice the 2016 pick. Target a defenseman. Juolevi is the realistic target. If Buffalo gets lucky, possibly Chychrun.

If in the playoffs, I'd consider packaging the 2016 1st for Ekholm or Merrill. Then I'd use whatever assets I could to get back into the back end of the 1st round.

If the team was in the borderline area, it's a toss up, but I'd lean to keeping the pick and trying to bring in Juolevi.

Overall, I see the Sabres from 8-13, and Juolevi as the target.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
I'm really glad I got to catch a handful of usntdp games last year.
Matthews was impressive at the games I saw, but Tkachuk really jumped out at me. Kid plays with an edge, uses his size well, showed nice hands, and a great release.

And while I agree, there's a need for a future top pairing defenseman, I've also thought a lot about a top wing for Eichel.

Laine, Puljujarvi, being the top two targets imo.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm really glad I got to catch a handful of usntdp games last year.
Matthews was impressive at the games I saw, but Tkachuk really jumped out at me. Kid plays with an edge, uses his size well, showed nice hands, and a great release.

And while I agree, there's a need for a future top pairing defenseman, I've also thought a lot about a top wing for Eichel.

Laine, Puljujarvi, being the top two targets imo.

Chychrun is the ONLY top target. Followed by Juolevi.

A top wing for Eichel? We've got years of Kane, Girgensons, Ennis... not to mention Fasching, Baptiste, Bailey, etc.

At the top of the draft, if you aren't drafting for need... you are doing it wrong (despite popular myths about BPA)

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Chychrun is the ONLY top target. Followed by Juolevi.

A top wing for Eichel? We've got years of Kane, Girgensons, Ennis... not to mention Fasching, Baptiste, Bailey, etc.

At the top of the draft, if you aren't drafting for need... you are doing it wrong (despite popular myths about BPA)

Chychrun would absolutely complete the roster for Buffalo, outside of a starting goaltender which we may or may not already have.

Chychrun - Ristolainen
McCabe - Bogosian
Guhle - Pysyk

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If Buffalo by some chance was to win the first overall this year do we trade it for Ekman Larsson? :yo:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No. Tim Murray runs on stage and shouts "Auston Mathews."

Eichel, Mathews, Reinhart down the middle for the next 10 years would be unbelievable.
I don't like it. No need for Matthews; in the long picture Larsson would be an adequate cost effective 3rd line center behind Eichel and Reinhart without cash strapping us down the middle and loosing out everywhere else because were in cap hell. The biggest need is a top 4 LHD that can step in and play right away.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
I don't like it. No need for Matthews; in the long picture Larsson would be an adequate cost effective 3rd line center behind Eichel and Reinhart without cash strapping us down the middle and loosing out everywhere else because were in cap hell. The biggest need is a top 4 LHD that can step in and play right away.

Well I just can't see him passing up on Mathews just to take Chychrun. Maybe a trade down scenario...

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Draft Matthews and then just imagine what you could get by trading him.

To say Nashville. Seth Jones + or Josi.

Anaheim for Lindholm +

Possibilities are endless.

But..its a waste of time to dream about fantasies.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Ekblad's a righty. Doesn't really address our problem.

Ahh right, didn't see the LHD qualifier. OEl would be the obvious choice, I'd imagine getting their franchise Center Mathews would be enough impetus for them to deal their best dman.

Or something like Murray & Bjorkstrand for Mathews would be great.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I doubt they would ever move Ekblad, even for Matthews. Florida already has their franchise center.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
NHL 15 this and send Mathews to Nash, Nurse Edm 1st Nash 1sto Buf, Weber and Pysyk to Edm

Use Edm 1st to draft Juolevi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad