2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Part 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Regardless of wanting homegrown kids, they still need an elite #1 center. Sure, their kids look good and organizationally they have forward depth, but if you don't have a franchise center you don't pass up the chance to get one.
They just drafted Strome who they think is elite.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I'm guessing they think the kid who led the OHL in scoring in his draft year will be an elite 1C.

They won't give up that much for Matthews if they're sitting at 2. I think they'd be content to ride with Strome as their top center going forward, keep Domi and Duclair (who look awesome in Tippett's system), and have a sick 1st pairing of OEL-Chychrun.

Agreed. The Coyotes won't break the bank to move up one spot to grab Matthews. With Strome in their prospect pool, I actually think Defense is their biggest need. Outside of OEL their blueline is pretty pitiful. It's what people who continually make these OEL proposals don't seem to get.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Strome is elite like Reinhart is elite. Matthews is elite like Eichel is elite. Can you imagine people arguing that we didn't need Eichel because we had Reinhart?

Yes this.

I'm not saying they'll give us everything. But they'd pay for Matthews. Any team would that doesn't currently have Eichel, McDavid, or an equivalent.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Strome is elite like Reinhart is elite. Matthews is elite like Eichel is elite. Can you imagine people arguing that we didn't need Eichel because we had Reinhart?

Of course the Coyotes would be interested in Matthews. Would they part with OEL for him? Or gut their organization by parting with their young talent or 1st round picks that are very likely to be high? Because ultimately that 1st overall pick isn't coming cheap (rightfully so).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
We're getting into some pretty hefty hypotheticals here. If Buffalo wins the #1 lottery and Arizona the #2... We don't even know what the standings will look like at season's end. The odds of either of those things happening is low enough, let alone both.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Yes this.

I'm not saying they'll give us everything. But they'd pay for Matthews. Any team would that doesn't currently have Eichel, McDavid, or an equivalent.

That's great and all, but I still don't see why they'd ever offer Domi, Duclair, and a defenseman on the level of Ekblad to take him at #1. I think Arizona would be perfectly willing to take Chychrun and pair him with OEL or split them up and have one of them on the ice 50 minutes of every game.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
This isn't about Arizona drafting with their pick though. It's about Arizona trading their pick + to move up a spot or two to draft Matthews. They aren't trading a player of OEL's caliber who also fills a gigantic hole in their organization to acquire another prospect at a position they are loaded at. And they aren't trading Domi and Ducliar and a top 3 pick to move up and take Matthews either.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Three LD's in RLR's initial top-ten: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...hews-matthew-tkachuk-alex-debrincat/74412482/

xoTVXzi.png

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/10/30/auston-matthews-hurt-while-playing-in-swiss-league/

Auston Matthews, the top-ranked prospect for the 2016 Draft, suffered an upper-body injury while playing for Zurich of Switzerland’s National League A, per NHL.com.

More:

The 18-year-old forward may have sustained his injury Oct. 23 during a 3-1 loss against Fribourg-Gotteron when he fell hard into the boards and missed his next two shifts.

“It was during a puck battle when he did fall head-first into the wall,†Central Scouting’s Thomas Roost said. “He felt some pain and didn’t show up for the next shift. But he did come back in that game.â€

Matthews had an assist and one shot on goal in Zurich’s next game two days later, a 6-3 victory against SCL.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
THN - Top 30 draft rankings for 2016: Matthews leads the pack
By: Ryan Kennedy on October 30, 2015

Auston-Matthews-ZSC-640x426.jpg

It’s about that time, folks. What follows is my first take on the 2016 draft class, one of course highlighted by American center Auston Matthews. The incredibly talented pivot is currently trailblazing a path in Switzerland (and may be on the shelf for the short-term, but no matter) and he is at the top of the pile. But there are more top talents available, including my No. 2 selection, who is also seen as a sure-fire NHLer, who in another year could have been first overall himself.

Since the season is so young, expect this ranking to change, perhaps radically, by the time my next installment comes out after the world juniors. By then, scouts will have a better handle on the field and the resulting input will paint a more specific picture. Let’s get to the rankings:

Auston Matthews, C – ZSC Lions (Swi.): He’s got size, smarts and great offensive production. The fact he’s leading a major European league in goals at 18 is stunning.

Jakob Chychrun, D – Sarnia Sting (OHL): The big blueliner has it all. He skates well, plays in all situations and has a nice edge to his game.

Jesse Puljujarvi, RW – Karpat Oulu (Fin.): With his speed, size and goal-scoring ability, he has been called one of the most terrifying Euro prospects in years.

Matthew Tkachuk, LW – London Knights (OHL): Great hockey sense, hands and a big frame have led the OHL rookie to huge points so far.

Patrik Laine, RW – Tappara (Fin.): Finland has its own Taylor vs. Tyler debate with Laine and Puljujarvi. Like the latter, Laine has size and great scoring punch.

Mikey McLeod, C – Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): You just can’t catch this kid when he has the puck. Speed, great hands and faceoff acumen.

Alexander Nylander, RW – Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): McLeod’s running mate has wicked hands and creativity. William’s younger bro has quickness, too.

Dante Fabbro, D – Penticton Vees (BCHL): The recent Boston U. commit is a two-way force who is racking up points in Jr. A.

Sam Steel, C – Regina Pats (WHL): All-situations player with speed and leadership qualities also puts up numbers.

Max Jones, LW – London Knights (OHL): Power forward with speed and skill is starting to get on track with his new team.

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Top 4 LD is an obvious need, but I doubt the draft is how Murray plans on filling that hole. They basically went LD for every pick after Eichel last year. Unless they are getting achy burn, they've got to be thinking BPA, IMO.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Top 4 LD is an obvious need, but I doubt the draft is how Murray plans on filling that hole. They basically went LD for every pick after Eichel last year. Unless they are getting achy burn, they've got to be thinking BPA, IMO.

Guhle is the only one that projects to the NHL right now. Drafting LHD in later round builds organizational depth, and maybe one develops. It doesn't stop drafting for a need.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Guhle is the only one that projects to the NHL right now. Drafting LHD in later round builds organizational depth, and maybe one develops. It doesn't stop drafting for a need.

Brycen Martin shouldn't be written off yet.

LHD might be the biggest need, but I doubt they will take LHD outside of Chychrun over Matthews, Puljujärvi, Laine, Tkachuk etc. atm, unless someone really rockets up.

It seems they are grooming Girgs as a shut-down 3C, which might create a need for a winger. For some reason I don't think they are going to hold Larsson as a winger in the long run (and I might be perfectly wrong), and Ennis, Larsson/Foligno/McGinn might used as a trade bait to get the LHD (and this has nothing to do what I think they should do, not that I would totally oppose it, though). That would change the organisation situation quite a lot. For example:

ROR/x - Eichel - ROR/x
Kane - Reinhart - x
x - Girgs - x
Des - Schaller - x

LHD (through trade) - Risto
McCabe - Bogo
Guhle/Martin - Pysyk

There could be a lot of open winger slots in the top-9 long run (don't see Moulson a long term solution). Some of them might come from Roch (Carrier, Baptiste, Bailey, Rodrigues), but doubt everyone.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Unless you're drafting top 2, you don't project anyone you draft being a serious contributor for at least 3 years. Send him back to junior, maybe give him a contract the next year, maybe he gets time in the minors, maybe he has a split year between call-ups and development time.

One year ago this time we were stocked at D and the biggest weakness organizationally was LW.

You draft BPA. Drafting for need means you'll always have enough of what you needed three years ago. If you want to wait three years to fill holes, you're a **** GM.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Unless you're drafting top 2, you don't project anyone you draft being a serious contributor for at least 3 years. Send him back to junior, maybe give him a contract the next year, maybe he gets time in the minors, maybe he has a split year between call-ups and development time.

One year ago this time we were stocked at D and the biggest weakness organizationally was LW.

You draft BPA. Drafting for need means you'll always have enough of what you needed three years ago. If you want to wait three years to fill holes, you're a **** GM.

LD would address both the current and organizational need. LD is the problem with the 3-year-out roster, as the only guy we can project there with any confidence is McCabe, and the only prospect worth valid optimism for is Guhle. Meanwhile we have at least 7-8 forward prospects with legitimate chances to make the roster by that time.

If there really is a huge disparity in quality when we are up to pick, then that's another thing. But that remains to be seen.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
LD would address both the current and organizational need. LD is the problem with the 3-year-out roster, as the only guy we can project there with any confidence is McCabe, and the only prospect worth valid optimism for is Guhle. Meanwhile we have at least 7-8 forward prospects with legitimate chances to make the roster by that time.

If there really is a huge disparity in quality when we are up to pick, then that's another thing. But that remains to be seen.

I hear what you're saying about the pipeline. What I'm saying is the constitution of the pipeline isn't necessarily predictive of what we'll need by the time that player is ready. Trades happen. One year ago our team needs were totally different. For that matter, one year ago, our assessments of many of our prospects was pretty different.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

It is possible, you know, to draft for organization and future need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad