2016 Draft Talk II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
What better way to replace Datsyuk than to draft Datsyuk2.0. I hope they have the chance to pick up German Rubstov!

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Despite popular comparison, I don't really see Datsyuk 2.0 in German Rubtsov. I would rather project him to become Russian Sean Couturier as someone suggested on the main board. He'll be a good forward but expecting him to become one of the most skilled and complete players in the league is unreasonable.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Despite popular comparison, I don't really see Datsyuk 2.0 in German Rubtsov. I would rather project him to become Russian Sean Couturier as someone suggested on the main board. He'll be a good forward but expecting him to become one of the most skilled and complete players in the league is unreasonable.

His scouting report reminds me of Burmistrov's.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Well. He's either a third liner or a 1st/2nd tweener then. That's a pretty good trade chip (not the third liner )

Too bad he isn't a second rounder

1. Fabbro
2. Rubstov

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Rubtsov would be a fine pick, I just wonder if we are all defaulting to taking a Russian because we are losing Datsyuk.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think Rubtsov would be a fine pick, I just wonder if we are all defaulting to taking a Russian because we are losing Datsyuk.

Nah. He's the best forward prospect that would be available. He's a center with top six potential

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Who has more offensive upside Mcleod or Rubstov? Admittedly i know very little about both prospects, Mcleod has more leadership qualities and is a very fast player, Rubstov is more all-around sound (defensively), no idea about their playing styles.

Anyone with insight can provide NHL comparables to Rubstov and Mcleod? And 2 other guys who are expected to go in that 8-13 range, Jost and Keller?

Thanks

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Who has more offensive upside Mcleod or Rubstov? Admittedly i know very little about both prospects, Mcleod has more leadership qualities and is a very fast player, Rubstov is more all-around sound (defensively), no idea about their playing styles.

Anyone with insight can provide NHL comparables to Rubstov and Mcleod? And 2 other guys who are expected to go in that 8-13 range, Jost and Keller?

Thanks

I'd say Rubstov has more offense. A comparable is tough for him. I know I don't like the Datsyuk comparison very much but that's the most common one. He's sort of a bigger Namenstikov. Very responsible, skilled, somewhere between a 2 and a 3 C.

McLeod is Helm with size :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Thanks

Both are more playmakers than scorers. Both are complete players that are responsible defensively.

Rubtsov is supposed to have better hands, while Mcleod is faster. I'm not sure I buy that Mcleod will actually be available, Button recently said some teams still have him as a top 10 or top 12 player.

Mcleod is being talked about similarly to Larkin. Remember Pronman said Larkin was a guy without plus hands, and had some questions on his offensive upside.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I would love to see something like:

16th: Fabbro, McAvoy, Rubtsov.
46th: Green, Hronek, Gleason, Johansen
107th: O'Leary, From, Stillman, Somppi, Bernhardt

A couple of those guys are likely reaches in those spots but you never really know. I wouldn't mind burning some late rounders on Fitzgerald, McInnis, Svars and Graham.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd say Rubstov has more offense. A comparable is tough for him. I know I don't like the Datsyuk comparison very much but that's the most common one. He's sort of a bigger Namenstikov. Very responsible, skilled, somewhere between a 2 and a 3 C.

McLeod is Helm with size :laugh:

Both are more playmakers than scorers. Both are complete players that are responsible defensively.

Rubtsov is supposed to have better hands, while Mcleod is faster. I'm not sure I buy that Mcleod will actually be available, Button recently said some teams still have him as a top 10 or top 12 player.

Mcleod is being talked about similarly to Larkin. Remember Pronman said Larkin was a guy without plus hands, and had some questions on his offensive upside.

Thanks. Supposedly he's a good leader as well...I dont remember if Larkin was held in that regard when he was drafted, could be wrong.

Any comparable for Keller and Jost? those 2 i see often in the 9-13 range as well

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would love to see something like:

16th: Fabbro, McAvoy, Rubtsov.
46th: Green, Hronek, Gleason, Johansen
107th: O'Leary, From, Stillman, Somppi, Bernhardt

A couple of those guys are likely reaches in those spots but you never really know. I wouldn't mind burning some late rounders on Fitzgerald, McInnis, Svars and Graham.

Would be solid. Would particularly like Fabbro/McAvoy, Green, and then Stillman. What are your thoughts on Johansen's upside?

For me would be pretty similar:

16th: Fabbro, McAvoy, Rubtsov, Kunin
46th: Green, Allard, Morrison, Gregor
107th: Sambrook, Candella, Ang, Luce

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Would be solid. Would particularly like Fabbro/McAvoy, Green, and then Stillman. What are your thoughts on Johansen's upside?

For me would be pretty similar:

16th: Fabbro, McAvoy, Rubtsov, Kunin
46th: Green, Allard, Morrison, Gregor
107th: Sambrook, Candella, Ang, Luce

He looked really savvy with the puck the couple of times I watched him this year. I thought that he made some real smart decisions. I don't think you will see him up in the rush but I do think he could contribute some offense once in the offensive zone and with his good outlet passing (kind of like Fabbro in a way). His skating needs to get better, but he strikes me as the type of guy who has the potential to take a big step forward in his first post-draft year. Call that a gut feeling. He and Mahura interest me the most in the WHL.

I won't be upset if we take Kunin in the first. I think he could be a really good pro. I like Allard's hands and poise a lot and think we need more Morrison-type guys in the organization (although I think he ends up being a wing at the pro level). I am guessing that the later may be gone before 46.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He looked really savvy with the puck the couple of times I watched him this year. I thought that he made some real smart decisions. I don't think you will see him up in the rush but I do think he could contribute some offense once in the offensive zone and with his good outlet passing (kind of like Fabbro in a way). His skating needs to get better, but he strikes me as the type of guy who has the potential to take a big step forward in his first post-draft year. Call that a gut feeling. He and Mahura interest me the most in the WHL.

I won't be upset if we take Kunin in the first. I think he could be a really good pro. I like Allard's hands and poise a lot and think we need more Morrison-type guys in the organization (although I think he ends up being a wing at the pro level). I am guessing that the later may be gone before 46.

Lajoie is another guy I wouldn't mind taking, that I haven't seen talked much about on here. Not sure where he's projected to go though.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
the McLeod=Helm thing isn't very fair. I think he's closer to a Larkin/AA type speedy skilled player. He's got more offense than he's being given credit for. He's just more of a playmaker than a scorer. He's a little risky, but you could end up with a Larkin-ish speedy RH playmaking center with two-way upside. His development curve reminds me of Jared McCann, where people were saying "shouldn't he score more than this?"

I would take McLeod over Rubtsov 10/10 times.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the McLeod=Helm thing isn't very fair. I think he's closer to a Larkin/AA type speedy skilled player. He's got more offense than he's being given credit for. He's just more of a playmaker than a scorer. He's a little risky, but you could end up with a Larkin-ish speedy RH playmaking center with two-way upside. His development curve reminds me of Jared McCann, where people were saying "shouldn't he score more than this?"

Reminds me of AA.......AA gets flack for not using his teammates and not being as much of a play-maker, Mcleod seems like the opposite

Aug 6, 2012
How about Luke Kunin? Great freshman year at Wisconsin, and now they'll have Granato behind the bench. Don't know much about him besides scouting reports and highlights.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Using our big three speed skaters when talking the draft is problematic. You're talking about three of the fastest 10 skaters lacing up skates as hockey players in the world. I would put all three in that top 10.

I see nice speed in Mcleod. I don't think he is like the three people are talking about here. Now on the positive side he is a plus passer with good hockey IQ. But it is not unusual for a draft to come and go without a skater (just pure skating ability) that actually doesn't have an AA, Larkin or Helm in it. They are special skaters.

I won't have a conniption if they pick McLeod if he falls there. Could actually see this playing out similar to my thoughts on Fabbri vs Larkin. I wanted Fabbri in that draft was excited when he was there. I didn't mind picking Larkin and super pumped about how that has worked out and didn't kill it big time at the time either just wanted a different guy. I want Rubtsov, I think he has better tools and is the smarter player, his skating will need to improve a little but it isn't bad at all. When I have seen him he screams top 6 NHL player. He keeps the puck, he is in the right position, the kid is a machine.

The one interesting if it is McLeod is it gives us a righty/lefty dynamic in our faceoffs which would be nice, that Rubtsov cannot give us. However he is my guy in terms of players that could be around and has been for a while. One of the big three D falls obviously that changes things. Of the D I expect to be around McAvoy is my clear choice there as well. Probably like both centers more in terms of that, but we will see if that stays all week.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
How about Luke Kunin? Great freshman year at Wisconsin, and now they'll have Granato behind the bench. Don't know much about him besides scouting reports and highlights.
He's an awesome RH shot scorer. Not sure he's going to be a center, though. Maybe he could be a Kesler type, but he just seems like the perfect guy to convert to wing. Abrasive, knows his job is to shoot, goes to the net. I dunno how much of a playmaker he's going to be, but maybe you don't need that from him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

+ shot. + release. Played mostly LW at Wisconsin, but played center for the USNTDP before that. Well rounded player who goes to the hard areas.

Reminds me of a Pavelski lite. Camps out in the slot a lot, and flushes passes from the left faceoff circle on the PP.

Aug 6, 2012
He's an awesome RH shot scorer. Not sure he's going to be a center, though. Maybe he could be a Kesler type, but he just seems like the perfect guy to convert to wing. Abrasive, knows his job is to shoot, goes to the net. I dunno how much of a playmaker he's going to be, but maybe you don't need that from him.

+ shot. + release. Played mostly LW at Wisconsin, but played center for the USNTDP before that. Well rounded player who goes to the hard areas.

Reminds me of a Pavelski lite. Camps out in the slot a lot, and flushes passes from the left faceoff circle on the PP.

Yeah that's the vibe I get too. You kind of want to hear more coming from a mid-first rounder, but then again Larkin didn't blow me away at first either.

Going to be such an interesting draft. I would kill to know what Tyler Wright is thinking right now. Let's hope we get the kid he wants, that seems to work out pretty well :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

He played mostly wing last year, but I actually think his game translates to center very well. Think where he ends up will depend mostly on if the team that drafts him is deeper at center or wing.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

I hate using highlight reels to make judgments, but McLeod really reminded me of Ryan Getzlaf there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad