2016 Draft Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I just gotta say, who makes the pass in this situation, insane.

giphy.gif

EDIT: rhetorical :laugh:

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

giphy.gif

He had a guy trying to block him. So anyone who sees it coming. Tbh if I was the goalie I would cover the side it was scored on. He was a split second late

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Alright, here's my final wish list for that first pick. I won't do any of the other picks. I don't get to watch enough junior hockey.

1. Fabbro
2. Bean
3. McEvoy
4. McLeod
5. Kunin

This is, of course, assuming nobody obvious like Chychrun falls down to 16, which would be a slam dunk.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

giphy.gif

Especially considering he is RH, that is crazy.

Although I bet Kunin or T Thompson flushes that initial pass home with a one timer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Alright, here's my final wish list for that first pick. I won't do any of the other picks. I don't get to watch enough junior hockey.

1. Fabbro
2. Bean
3. McEvoy
4. McLeod
5. Kunin

This is, of course, assuming nobody obvious like Chychrun falls down to 16, which would be a slam dunk.

I'd be happy with a number of guys. Going to trust who we decide on because we have a good track record these last 2 or 3 years in the 1st.

Really as long as we don't go crazy off the board, or take Logan Stanley, should be in good shape. Just hope 1 of our first 2 picks is a defenseman. For once.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'd be happy with a number of guys. Going to trust who we decide on because we have a good track record these last 2 or 3 years in the 1st.

Really as long as we don't go crazy off the board, or take Logan Stanley, should be in good shape. Just hope 1 of our first 2 picks is a defenseman. For once.
Yeah, exactly. At the end of the day, they have so much more experience and resources to handle this stuff. I trust them to make a good pick, especially if it's a forward. They seem to really know their stuff when it comes to that. And thankfully, aside from Stanley, they really can't mess up too badly by taking a defenseman.

I just don't want them to trade down. I think they have the opportunity to choose between a couple of very good players at 16, no matter what happens. It would be a mistake to go for an extra pick, especially with how open the 2nd and 3rd rounds seem to be.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, exactly. At the end of the day, they have so much more experience and resources to handle this stuff. I trust them to make a good pick, especially if it's a forward. They seem to really know their stuff when it comes to that. And thankfully, aside from Stanley, they really can't mess up too badly by taking a defenseman.

I just don't want them to trade down. I think they have the opportunity to choose between a couple of very good players at 16, no matter what happens. It would be a mistake to go for an extra pick, especially with how open the 2nd and 3rd rounds seem to be.

I think there are more situations where staying put makes more sense than trading back.

But let me play devil's advocate for a second...

You had 5 guys ranked who I feel pretty good about. If you could trade back from 16 and pick up the to 22 and very likely still get 1, while maybe adding Winnipeg's 36th pick, that could yield something nice.

22 - Kunin
36- Clague
46- Allard/Green

That could be a good haul. I don't know if you could swap 16 for 22 and 36 though. And someone would have to drop to 22.

But that's why you have to wait to see on draft day what the best course is.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

1. Fabbro
2. Bean
3. McEvoy
4. McLeod
5. Kunin

Add Rubtsov in at 6 and I'd be happy with any one of them tbh

Great value middle round this season.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I think there are more situations where staying put makes more sense than trading back.

You had 5 guys ranked who I feel pretty good about. If you could trade back from 16 and pick up the to 22 and very likely still get 1, while maybe adding Winnipeg's 36th pick, that could yield something nice.

22 - Kunin
36- Clague
46- Allard/Green

That could be a good haul. I don't know if you could swap 16 for 22 and 36 though. And someone would have to drop to 22.

I have a theory that they may move back to 20 in exchange for Arizona taking Datsyuk's cap hit. They don't get the extra second rounder, but they don't lose any picks either. It's the same theory that they have 5 guys they like and Arizona moves up saving the cost of a 2nd round pick. Moving the cap for the value of a second without giving up the second we actually have. Just a theory and not one I really like because it likely cost us the guy I want in Fabbro.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010

22 - Kunin
36- Clague
46- Allard/Green

Yeah. It's tough to tell. I'm thinking maybe 4 or 5 out of the 6 (Fabbro, Bean, McAvoy, McLeod, Kunin, and Rubtsov) will be gone by pick 20, with the remaining one or two going soon after that, but we'll see.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/video
1. Leafs - Matthews
2. Jets - Laine
3. CBJ - Pulju
4. Oilers - Tkachuk
5. Canucks - Dubois
6. Flames - Juolevi
7. Coyotes - Nylander
8. Sabres - Sergachev
9. Habs - Brown
10. Avs - Jost
11. Devils - Keller
12. Sens - Chychrun
13. Hurricanes - Bellows
14. Bruins - McAvoy
15. Wild - McLeod
16. Red Wings - Bean
17. Preds - Kunin
18. Flyers - Jones
19. Isles - Rubstov
20. Yotes - Fabbro
21. Hurricanes - Tufte
22. Jets - Howden
23. Panthers - Gauthier
24. Ducks - Thompson
25. Stars - Asplund
26. Capitals - Cholowski
27. TBL - Kyrou
28. Blues - Borgstrom
29. Bruins - Laberge
30. Ducks - Bastian

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
My Take

I'm going to assume the top 5 forwards are out of reach and long off the board before the Red Wings pick. The rest are kind of up in the air, so I'll give my take on the next 20 prospects.
well some may seem very unlikely at 16. They could slide down around the 10 range.... meaning there is an outside chance of a Wings trade up.

YES PLEASE, SIGN ME UP:

Chychrun - Kid is a beast and has all the tools to be an all around stud prospect. Said he needs to be reigned in on over skating with the puck. I'll take my chances he can figure that out. Chychrun has definitely been victimized by the Hakan rule of over scouting. I'll always remember the first couple times I saw him play as a 16 year old and I couldn't believe the eye popping talent. He stood out like an older brother playing shinny his younger brothers friends. I want to land him sooo bad and can't believe there is a realistic chance.

Sergachev - Loads of size and aggression with the skating and skill to match. Would be just what we need. It is said he is too composed or taking it easy at times? I don't even see that as a knock. The game looked easy for Sergachev. I'm not sure the speed of the forecheck at the OHL level was much of a challenge for him last year.

Fabbro - What a smooth operator. I think his competition (BCHL) is the only reason he isn't a sure fire top 10. But he killed that league and was dominant against his true peers in the under 18. Could stand to get stronger, but no real concerns here.

Bean - The most elite offensive talent among blueliners in the draft. Some risk with size and defensive play. But kid has the homerun talent that you arent usually going to find sitting on the board at 16. This pick would be exciting.

Keller - For a lot of the same reasons I would be excited about Bean. Kid has the talent to match those consesus top 5 forwards, but for that 5 inch height gap. Some consider him the most talented and compare him to Patrick Kane. Doubtful he is around, but stranger things have happened.

Tufte - Is he the next big bodied high school prospect to make an impact in the NHL (re Bjugstad and Wheeler). The one downside is he will take longer to develop. But he is huge and has the raw upside that can't be denied. As expected his numbers were gaudy at the high school level. I'm sure you see the trend I like teh high upside prospects.

Jost - Really like his speed and two way game. Obviously had loads of offensive talent. Record breaking performance at the under 18's validates his 100 + point year in BCHL. If he somehow slips, I wouldn't hesitate to pass on our much needed defenceman depending whats on the board.

Jones - Was considered a consensus top 5 pick in this draft entering this season. Is a huge pest in the mold of a much bigger Marchand. As a rookie was already considered most hated player in OHL by his peers. Would fit in with what Wings are doing upfront. Strong skater and a very hard shot with a good release. Don't be fooled by his point totals. He played 2nd line with little(if any) PP time. Most other top prospects got 1A duties in offensive situations. If he and Tkachuk switched roles in London, I think a 90 point season would have been a safe bet and Jones is going top 10. While he doesn't quite have the soft hands of Tkachuk, he is the better 200 foot player.

Kunin - Kid is a finisher. It's not easy to find consistent goal scorers at the NHL level. I think his speed and ability to read the game will help transfer those goals to the pros... unlike some other slower goal scorers who just find their spot on the PP.
I've heard his size questioned. But he is basically 6' 195lbs at the combine.

ON THE FENCE:

Nylander - You can't deny his skill. And for that reason alone I wouldn't mind if he fell to 16 and we picked him. But I'm not sold enough to move up and grab him. Not sure some of the stuff he does in junior will be effective in the NHL. He was already prone to turnovers last year. Didn't seem too interested in his own end. But that stuff can be worked out of his game and he would be an interesting get.

Bellows - From pure lack of knowledge I'm not sure about him. None of the scouts seem to be screaming top end talent.

McAvoy - Good pick. Aggressive defenseman, who is good with the puck. I just really like the other 4 mentioned above. I would look at him as a pick of need and I would understand it.

DO NOT WANT, AVOID;

Juolevi - Not even at 16 would I want Juolevi. He is a solid all around defenseman in junior. But he doesn't have the dominant wow factor in any aspect of his game. His offensive numbers are inflated by playing for the highest scoring team in the OHL and getting heavy minutes in all situations including the #1 PP unit. But keep in mind when you watch the Knights, he was in no way a catalyst of the offense... more of a benefactor. You barely notice him during the games. Which is a great thing at the NHL level. But a first round talent should stand out like a sore thumb at the the junior level (re Chychrun). Also a little soft for my liking. Glad someone else will likey take him before us causing another prospect to fall.

Gauthier- Not sold. Seems too slow. One dimensional shooter in my eyes. Not sure his goal scoring will translate. Despite being an impressive physical specimen... doesn't really use his size and isn't aggressive.

McLeod - Smart, solid player, but doesn't have that stand out attribute. Don't think he has top line upside. Too many other players that do.

Rubstov - Sorry I know he is popular on the board. But i keep hearing safe pick. Two way player. I want my Russians to be oozing with undeniable top end talent and only held back by questions of them reporting (staying in future). I admit I do hold that against him somewhat. It's undeniable Russian players tend to leave for KHL or use it against you in negotiations... Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Sabotka, Burmistrov, Radulov, Komorov, D.Markov, Morozov, Zherdev, Tikhonov, Svitov, Semin, Frolov (among others). All guys who left premturemly, middle of contract, at the first sign of NHL struggle or constantly used KHL threat to get overpaid. It's a factor for me and Rubstov doesn't have the undeniable talent (like a Kutznetsov) to overlook.

DeBrinkat - No thanks. An opportunistic scorer. But he does not make his presence known during the game. You just kind of notice he has two goals on the game sheet. Lots of holes in his game.

Just my opinion, look forward to feedback/differing views. Hopefully you enjoyed the read.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I saw a random mock that had Jost falling to us at 16. In no way shape or form do I think it would happen, but I'm pulling the trigger.

Unless somehow he and Chych were both there.

Jkalapeno

Mar 27, 2016
Riverview, FL
If Chychrun and Jost were both there then I imagine some really dumb picks happened... Like Boston taking Zach Senshyn before Kyle Connor level of stupid.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, with Rubtsov, I don't think you are getting a Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, or Kucherov. I hope people don't just assume that because he is Russian.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

1. Fabbro
2. Bean
3. McEvoy
4. McLeod
5. Kunin

If Chychrun falls, it's a slam dunk. Been reading for awhile but havent posted on the Wings draft yet this year. One player who has an explosiveness to his game and isnt being mentioned enough here, is Bellows. He and Larkin for 10 years could do a great deal of damage and he's not far away from playing in the league.

Jkalapeno

Mar 27, 2016
Riverview, FL
If Chychrun falls, it's a slam dunk. Been reading for awhile but havent posted on the Wings draft yet this year. One player who has an explosiveness to his game and isnt being mentioned enough here, is Bellows. He and Larkin for 10 years could do a great deal of damage and he's not far away from playing in the league.

The only reason he just talked about is because he is a winger, but I agree that he could be a great player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad