WJC: 2016 — Czech Republic Roster Talk

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
As was already said though.. we'll probably never (or at least in the nearer future) be again consistently competitive like Sweden or Russia.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I really thought that kind of games (what we have to watch today) have gone. How much time it will takes yet until we will be a really competitive team for all the big powers? Will it be better next year? What you think guys?

Next year we might get kicked out in the quaterfinal by a closer score. Up to you if you think that's better. The only we way we may get past the quaterfinal is by having an excellent goalie with hot form. We didn't have one this year unfortunately.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
It's really hard to say how long it will take. Honestly, you can really only blame the coaching on this one. There's no way we should be getting beat 7-0 no matter who it is. Not with the kind of talent we have.
But if you SERIOUSLY think about it. Zacha and Pastrnak healthy, Vrana and Karabacek present. You gotta think that we would have finished higher then 3rd in the group. You gotta think we would have beat Russia and Finland. You gotta think we would have won a medal.

I think the better question is. When is luck going to come our way?

Sure... Our program isn't great. But it's taken big strides in recent years. And it's only getting better. So far our 99,00,and 01 years look very good so far. I know it's early but it's better then before. Heads up gents. At least we should be competitive at the senior level. In the near future.

Next year looks good. Should contend for a medal. I hope. The 97 year is deep. Our defense will be much better and our goalie options are still fantastic.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
And how can we be consistantly better with such a ******** mentality?. Wehave again 18 teams in junior leagues because somebody needed to save his ass again.Clear nonsense.There are still a lot of people here who have communist work etic and there are unfortunately too many of them. And these people always screw you to somE extent. Its not complain its clear fact, swedish crisis took how long ?three years? We have been trying step up for how long? 8 ****ing years? I quite admire Lener considering people he needs to deal with...

Some guys from czech league obviously lavk skills against top temas like Finnland or USA. Vozenilek and Lakatos skating was wuite bad imo....

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Btw this is not about luck imo. We lost to all top teams. Exactly as was predicted we made some mess, but that was all.

Neither coaching is the reason imo

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
It's really hard to say how long it will take. Honestly, you can really only blame the coaching on this one. There's no way we should be getting beat 7-0 no matter who it is. Not with the kind of talent we have.
But if you SERIOUSLY think about it. Zacha and Pastrnak healthy, Vrana and Karabacek present. You gotta think that we would have finished higher then 3rd in the group. You gotta think we would have beat Russia and Finland. You gotta think we would have won a medal.

Sure... Our program isn't great. But it's taken big strides in recent years. And it's only getting better. So far our 99,00,and 01 years look very good so far. I know it's early but it's better then before. Heads up gents. At least we should be competitive at the senior level. In the near future.

Next year looks good. Should contend for a medal. I hope. The 97 year is deep. Our defense will be much better and our goalie options are still fantastic.

That's true, we are overreacting a little here, we had some bad luck with being in the wrong group in terms of 1/4 final already, then we got probably the strongest opponent possible, some injuries of key players etc. Even though I don't like these excuses, we shouldn't overrate todays loss that much.

Do you have any info about 99-01 groups which you were mentioning? I know almost nothing about 00-01 especially. I really like the numbers of Zabransky junior though.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
And how can we be consistantly better with such a ******** mentality?. Wehave again 18 teams in junior leagues because somebody needed to save his ass again.Clear nonsense.There are still a lot of people here who have communist work etic and there are unfortunately too many of them. And these people always screw you to somE extent. Its not complain its clear fact, swedish crisis took how long ?three years? We have been trying step up for how long? 8 ****ing years? I quite admire Lener considering people he needs to deal with...

Some guys from czech league obviously lavk skills against top temas like Finnland or USA. Vozenilek and Lakatos skating was wuite bad imo....

3 years? More like 11 years without a medal for Sweden at the world juniors. We just hit that 11th year. I think we will break it very soon.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
That's true, we are overreacting a little here, we had some bad luck with being in the wrong group in terms of 1/4 final already, then we got probably the strongest opponent possible, some injuries of key players etc. Even though I don't like these excuses, we shouldn't overrate todays loss that much.

Do you have any info about 99-01 groups which you were mentioning? I know almost nothing about 00-01 especially. I really like the numbers of Zabransky junior though.

I also think that this World Juniors was one of the most widely competitive in a long time. Sweden Finland USA all with unbelievable rosters.. We would have had one as well if it werent for injuries.

The 2001 year group won a very prestigous tournament in Slovakia not long ago. Never won it before. One of the stand out players on that team (at least statistically speaking) is Jonas Peterek. His numbers are equivalent to Jakub Vranas at the same age. A few more guys in there that are really good. Id have to look up the names. Zabransky stats look unreal for sure. Excited to see what kind of prospect he will be. But just off the top of my head.....

2017 draft- Forwards---Necas, Safin, Skvrne,Defense--- Galvas, Zelinger as the main guys. They are all very good.
2018 draft- Forwards---Zadina, Kaut, Kondelik, Toman, Chytil, Defense---Kral, Zabransky....
Thats just to name a few. 2018 draft looks really good...

Last edited:

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague

Well I agree this year we were quite unlucky. Injured major pieces in Vrana and Karabacek, Pastrnak and Zacha playing injured. We were in the weaker group and even though at first it seems good, because you can win the group (And we could, especially if there were no injuries) if you don't win it you get to play harder opponents in playoff. And it doesn't help at all when you get to play that one opponent who is simply the best team on the tourney.

It's getting better for sure, 99 looked very good when I saw them on the U17 tournament, though I don't know much about 00 or 01 outside of Zadina or Zabransky.

We should have contend for medal this year, got eliminated 7:0 in the quaterfinal. We should have contend last year as well, got eliminated by weak Slovakia 3:0. If we are the same ''contenders'' nest year as well, I am getting worried. We didn't score a frigging goal in neither quaterfinal, hell, even in senior playoff this and last year's WHC we didn't score a single goal...The hell is that?
Regarding the strenght of the next year's team... Defense should be very good. Goalies very solid as well, as a Bruin fan I am excited to see (hopefully) Vladar as the 1. Offense should be better as well after all, majority of this year's team will be able to play next year. Though there won't be any quality 18 years old forwads like this or last year's teams. 98 is so weak on forwards it's laughable. The best 98 forward is probably Reichel and he isn't PPG in a weak Czech junior U20 league.

Okay, let's not overrate this year's loss...how about the fact Czech Republic didn't get past the quaterfinal in the last 11 years? In that time period Slovaks managed to do that twice, they even snagged a freaking medal. Even if we today lost only 1:0... It's just getting too ridiculous.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I also think that this World Juniors was one of the most widely competitive in a long time. Sweden Finland USA all with unbelievable rosters.. We would have had one as well if it werent for injuries.

Well, yes this is true. USA is straight up dominant this year and Finland got their roster of the decade. Don't know much about the Sweden team.

The 2001 year group won a very prestigous tournament in Slovakia not long ago. Never won it before. One of the stand out players on that team (at least statistically speaking) is Jonas Peterek. His numbers are equivalent to Jakub Vranas at the same age. A few more guys in there that are really good. Id have to look up the names. Zabransky stats look unreal for sure. Excited to see what kind of prospect he will be. But just off the top of my head.....

2017 draft- Forwards---Necas, Safin, Skvrne,Defense--- Galvas, Zelinger as the main guys. They are all very good.
2018 draft- Forwards---Zadina, Kaut, Kondelik, Toman, Chytil, Defense---Kral, Zabransky....
Thats just to name a few. 2018 draft looks really good...

I wasn't sure if the tourney was won by 01 or 02. Jonas Peterek had unbelievable numbers there, along with someone else who was more of a sniper, though I don't remember his name. (Czech Puljujarvi/Laine coming soon :naughty: more likely not lol) Also Czech goalie Skorpik was the best of the tournament.

I heard people said the 2017 draft will be weak..any idea why? They played great when I saw them and it could be good draft for us. 2018 draft has a lot of guys who are already doing well in the U18 leagues, it will be interesting to see how can they translate it into U20/NA league.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Okay, let's not overrate this year's loss...how about the fact Czech Republic didn't get past the quaterfinal in the last 11 years? In that time period Slovaks managed to do that twice, they even snagged a freaking medal. Even if we today lost only 1:0... It's just getting too ridiculous.

OK, I wouldn't give Slovaks as an example for sure. Respect to them for advancing twice but the reason of that certainly wasn't outplaying the other team with skill and talent, it was some good luck, big effort or amazing goaltending. Their last years medal isn't a mirror of their hockey
The more important thing is to raise skilled individuals, the results then will come along. That's on coaches and managers and the association which should make appropriate conditions for that.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
OK, I wouldn't give Slovaks as an example for sure. Respect to them for advancing twice but the reason of that certainly wasn't outplaying the other team with skill and talent, it was some good luck, big effort or amazing goaltending. Their last years medal isn't a mirror of their hockey
The more important thing is to raise skilled individuals, the results then will come along. That's on coaches and managers and the association which should make appropriate conditions for that.

I am not claiming it's the mirror of their hockey. I am just saying it's becoming really pathetic and ridiculous that we can't break this semifinal syndrom. It's so demotivating. Slovaks got twice lucky. Okay I get it, but I just don't get how did we not get lucky at least once as well, especially when we had most of the time better team.

I just... 11 years :shakehead how bad is that. If any current top hockey nation starts struggling, I doubt they will break this ''record''.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I am not claiming it's the mirror of their hockey. I am just saying it's becoming really pathetic and ridiculous that we can't break this semifinal syndrom. It's so demotivating. Slovaks got twice lucky. Okay I get it, but I just don't get how did we not get lucky at least once as well, especially when we had most of the time better team.

I just... 11 years :shakehead how bad is that. If any current top hockey nation starts struggling, I doubt they will break this ''record''.

OK, if we're talking just the tournament as such then the way of losing quarterfinals is sometimes really depressing, I agree. At the very least we're getting closer every year (even though todays outcome does not reflect that).

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
We should have contend for medal this year, got eliminated 7:0 in the quaterfinal. We should have contend last year as well, got eliminated by weak Slovakia 3:0.
This year you just lost what you had been given last year. Finishing 2nd in the group stage with five points especially after playing so terrible... Plus you got Slovakia in quarterfinals – You couldn't complain about lack of luck last year (neither did we). Anyway I just want to say, it's not a shame to lose to US. In 2014, Finland (as hosts) lost to Sweden 10-0 in QF of U18 Worlds. And look how Finns play this year at WJC (and it's still same birthyear, only different coach). I agree with you that you were bit unlucky this year, but 5th place at WJC does not tell anything about the strength of Czech hockey. Still it's short-term tournament.

The best 98 forward is probably Reichel
You can't be serious...

As I said before, it's short-term tournament. We advanced twice to semis during that time span, but nobody from Slovakia thinks we're better than Czechs. Especially in those do-or-die games, it's usually just matter of luck. I know eleven games are quite big sample size but considering your recent results at tournaments during the season, you still could beat other Top 6 nations on regular basis. No matter whether it's U16, U17, U18 or U20 level... And I'd love to trade our last-year bronze medal to have such results during the season and to compete in those tournaments you usually do during the season.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Watching the Czechs play hockey is like watching Croatia play football. Skilled individuals, players that are/will be important pieces for the biggest clubs, but put them in a national teams jersey and take a look at how the game was played 20 years ago.

Great sport genes, and hockey (football) mentality but unfortunately old coaching philosophy, lack of skating (running) away from the puck (ball) and politics in the selection proces for every NT category.

Swipes

Ice Hockey World Champions 2024!
Apr 13, 2010
Watching the Czechs play hockey is like watching Croatia play football. Skilled individuals, players that are/will be important pieces for the biggest clubs, but put them in a national teams jersey and take a look at how the game was played 20 years ago.

Great sport genes, and hockey (football) mentality but unfortunately old coaching philosophy, lack of skating (running) away from the puck (ball) and politics in the selection proces for every NT category.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Last year the selection of players was definitely political and the coaching was old school. Our current coach is most definitely following a modern coaching philosophy and he has medals from the U-18 level to prove it. He chose the best players available. The fact of the matter is we are simply not good enough to beat the USA at the U-18 or U-20 level at this time. The score however, is completely unacceptable, especially given how close we were vs Russia and Finland.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I also think that it's a pity our strongest two generations of players have failed to medal at this level. I also regret that we didn't have Petr last year. Perhaps we would have gone through. Who knows.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Good article about our performance on Zacha's websites. They further need to work on results because simply play equal and loose is not the way which push you to the next level. Secong thing is what to do with gap between us and USA, Sweden. US guys are in most cases (maybe except 5-6 cz players this year) more developed in terms of physicallity and are more complex players than our guys. And thats a matter of development system imo.

Obviously that communist development system which they set up everywhere from USA to Bayern Munchen is the best possible way. Funny thing is that former Czechoslovakia regulary picked medals from WJCs....

I wish that club academy system will work, but for this you need super competitive juinor league and proper constant supervising.....Iam not sure we can follow these basic rules in long term....

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I'm not sure I agree with this. Last year the selection of players was definitely political and the coaching was old school. Our current coach is most definitely following a modern coaching philosophy and he has medals from the U-18 level to prove it. He chose the best players available. The fact of the matter is we are simply not good enough to beat the USA at the U-18 or U-20 level at this time. The score however, is completely unacceptable, especially given how close we were vs Russia and Finland.

I saw no improvement whatsoever under Petr this year. If Přerost was still coaching the team and they were playing this unspired and indifferent as they did against the U.S. yesterday, he would've been crucified by the media. Of course, the same people decided that Petr is honest, modern and progressive, so that no one says anything.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I saw no improvement whatsoever under Petr this year. If Přerost was still coaching the team and they were playing this unspired and indifferent as they did against the U.S. yesterday, he would've been crucified by the media. Of course, the same people decided that Petr is honest, modern and progressive, so that no one says anything.

Well, I think that all the fuss last year (if that's what you got in mind) didn't start particularly becuase of the play on the ice..
Plus, Prerost was there for already 4 years and hasn't had any bigger sucess neither with the team nor in his coaching carrer, you can't say that about Petr. And it's his first year on the bench of U20. If he was there as many years as Prerost, the media would start saying things also (and they will next year if the tourney comes out similar as this one, I'm pretty sure).

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Obviously that communist development system which they set up everywhere from USA to Bayern Munchen is the best possible way. Funny thing is that former Czechoslovakia regulary picked medals from WJCs....

I think you're probably right. I don't think it's not having the mix of best players from both countries that's the issue (I see people saying that a lot), but is instead the coaching and development system that's in place that is to blame for the shortcomings.

If you add pick the best available players from both Czech Republic and Slovakia you'd pretty much pick the current Czech team all with Cernak and Jaros on D and possibly Huska as the 2nd or 3rd string goalie. Probably doesn't change too much in terms of results even though those two defensemen are very good.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I think you're probably right. I don't think it's not having the mix of best players from both countries that's the issue (I see people saying that a lot), but is instead the coaching and development system that's in place that is to blame for the shortcomings.

If you add pick the best available players from both Czech Republic and Slovakia you'd pretty much pick the current Czech team all with Cernak and Jaros on D and possibly Huska as the 2nd or 3rd string goalie. Probably doesn't change too much in terms of results even though those two defensemen are very good.

I agree. Its not about czechs + slovaks, its all about system and work etic. Its getting better but you can still see that especially us,canadians and swedish guys are ussually more physical nad more mature on this level. People said here quite often that our players grow later. However, this wasnt an issue before 1989 when CSSR finished on medal positions quite regularly. So that probably means that all guys grew later in that times and right now only our players are still step behind...

Actually its not only an issue of junior teams. You barely see our top european guys like Kovar shine against Canada or USA. They can be good against Finland, Russia, because their style probably suits them more and they have more room for creativity. But once they face team which play well organized all rounded physical hockey, they disappear. Cervenka is great example - always invisible in crucial moments....

Last edited:

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Its getting better but you can still see that especially us,canadians and swedish guys are ussually more physical nad more mature on this level. People said here quite often that our players grow later. However, this wasnt an issue before 1989 when CSSR finished on medal positions quite regularly. So that probably means that all guys grew later in that times and right now only our players are still step behind

Exactly. Our boys never look that physically developed compared to those countries. I mean, look at the fins. I never think of them as big but this year they were huge lol. I think we have some catching up to do in terms of nutrition.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Exactly. Our boys never look that physically developed compared to those countries. I mean, look at the fins. I never think of them as big but this year they were huge lol. I think we have some catching up to do in terms of nutrition.

In terms of height Czech men are one of the taller nations. Skating is a skill that needs to have a greater emphasis imo. You have the ability to reach Finland's level with the right steps taken. It's just I don't know how popular the sport is in Czech Republic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad