Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurgePurge*

Love how when Torey Krug is kicking pucks out of the air and schooling us its like what a loser that guy is and when we get Keith Yandle its like woah so dynamic.

BarbaraAlphanse

He was pretty awesome for bits

Maybe the first half of his first NHL season.

After that he was pretty awesome for like... Devil's fans in the ECF when he contributed to more own goals than goals for the team.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If we trade Talbot we're going to have to add a backup. Skapski is not the guy for that--at least not yet. It sounds like we'll probably get a great return for Cam and that $1.45 mil one year contract that the Rangers got him to sign looks to be an astute move on Sather/Gorton's part. Otherwise he'd be going into the summer as a UFA. Ponder that if you will.

I would be okay with Soderberg depending on the cost. He'd fit on our team most likely as a 3rd liner so I wouldn't want to give him more than 3 years and I'd try to keep him to $3 mil per or under.

I'm not for moving Yandle either. I don't believe Boyle will be around past next year and Yandle I'd expect is going to be our primary offensive D next year and maybe for the future. Girardi and Staal both have NMC's and are not really movable. Just thought I'd mention it for those who haven't heard. The Rangers did not sign Staal the middle of this past season- - then give him an NMC with the idea of trading him before the ink on the contract dries. Girardi's contract becomes a modified NTC starting the 16-17 season--two seasons as NMC--Staal's turns to a partial NTC in 17-18--2 years NMC. The only guy that is really movable on our defense is Klein. I don't particularly have an issue with our defense as currently constructed going into next season. They do take up a lot of cap space but they are one of the best units in the league.

Anyway I really like Talbot but we need the first rounder (if we can get it) and it wouldn't be good for us not to move him and lose him as a UFA after next year nor fair to himself to not find out just how good he can be and how much money he can make. He needs to move along. It's both in the Rangers interests and his own.

Agree with everything here.

SLE17

Dec 21, 2011
NJ
So mixed on trading Talbot...

On one hand if get the best return available for him which sounds like a mid to upper mid 1st round pick is a legit possibility. That is a very nice return for someone who was an undrafted prospect we signed.

BUT

If we trade Talbot we need a back up goalie for next year. Every $$ is important to the NYR given the cap situation. We aren't going to sign a worthwhile backup goalie for less than Talbots $1.45 mil and we can't afford to invest more in a backup goalie then Cam's $1.45 mil given our cap situation which means the backup has to come from within.

ALSO

For most mid 1st round picks it is 3+ before they make significant contributions at the NHL level...

This team is a contender now so while it is always nice to continue to stockpile for the future is it in the best interest of a team that is a contender now to trade a valuable NHL piece of their roster for what in essence is future considerations (at the NHL level) 3-4 years from now?

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
This team is a contender now so while it is always nice to continue to stockpile for the future is it in the best interest of a team that is a contender now to trade a valuable NHL piece of their roster for what in essence is future considerations (at the NHL level) 3-4 years from now?

it's not just "nice" to stockpile for the future, it's a must if you're a contender or not. A first round pick in this draft would likely become our best prospect overnight, that should tell you we're thin with top end talent.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
The 13 fights last year seems like he did just that.

If McIlrath makes it into the top 6, he's going to be challenged to prove himself by the "tough" guys in the league--especially 4th liners--in the hopes of disrupting the Rangers' defense. If he's sticking up for his teammates or gets into a fight because of a hard hit, that's fine: but if he spends his time fighting off the faceoff, he's going to find that the coaching staff won't not happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad