Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bscharf

Jan 28, 2010
We don't have a first round pick in 2016 (or 2017 if we don't make the playoffs). This scenario therefore is null and void. It also isn't necessary if we just draft him instead of McIlrath :deadhorse: :naughty:

1. Retool the D by trading Klein and adding a more pure 'shot suppressing RHD'
2. Add a right-handed forward that shoots first and asks questions later
3. Trade Talbot in option 1 to get said player, or to recoup draft picks

End off-season.

I can't begin to understand why there seems to be a consensus on this board that trading Klein is a good idea.

-He has arguably the best valued contract on the team. (3 more years at less than $3mil). That is a steal.

-RHD with the best shot, people are quickly forgetting how good he was pre broken arm.

IMO the priority should be packaging Tablot, Yandle, and a prospect and getting a legitimate center with size that will win faceoffs in return. A Jordan Staal type of player--not saying him specifically bc cap hit is probably too high.

OR packaging those players for valuable picks from an EDM type team and signing a player like vermette as an UFA.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Miller isn't that bad on face-offs, although he doesn't play center. He still takes some. He's 48.7% for his career and thats as a very young player in the NHL. I expect that number to improve as he gets older. He can probably get to 52 or 53%.

Miller is a big asset on faceoffs. In the playoffs, they were using him instead of his center to try and cheat on every faceoff, and it was working. He was 54.5% on faceoffs in the playoffs. So what if he gets tossed? He just rotates back to wing and lets the center take it.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I can't begin to understand why there seems to be a consensus on this board that trading Klein is a good idea.

-He has arguably the best valued contract on the team. (3 more years at less than $3mil). That is a steal.

-RHD with the best shot, people are quickly forgetting how good he was pre broken arm.

IMO the priority should be packaging Tablot, Yandle, and a prospect and getting a legitimate center with size that will win faceoffs in return. A Jordan Staal type of player--not saying him specifically bc cap hit is probably too high.

OR packaging those players for valuable picks from an EDM type team and signing a player like vermette as an UFA.

You said Klein had the best value contract on the team, then proceeded to trade the player with the actual best value contract on the team.

We finally have a top-5 offensive dman in the NHL with a cap hit of $2.65M, and people want to trade him. It makes zero sense.:help:

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013

Yes, I tend to agree that lacking a big, physical, top 6 center that can win face-offs is what we lack the most. Nash would be so much better if he didn't have to chase pucks around the ice for over 50% of his shifts in the playoffs. Why is Stepan so bad at face-offs? He's been in the league for years and should have improved by now. Brassard ain't great either. Both of these guys automatically lose the face-off on the powerplay, forcing us to regroup and carry the puck up the ice before finally setting it up.

I wouldn't recommend signing Vermette. He hasn't been great for the Hawks. He wins face-offs, but that's about all he does. He's older and would cost a fortune relative to the value he would bring to the team.

I also wouldn't recommend trading Yandle. With similar defensive d-men like Staal, Girardi, and Klein on the backend, we really need a guy who can push the puck up the ice. He's got great vision on the power play. Only trade him unless the deal is a no brainer for us.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

You said Klein had the best value contract on the team, then proceeded to trade the player with the actual best value contract on the team.

Mac n Gs made a point I would've.

I like Klein, but, he is the most tradeable defenseman we have right now.

McDonagh, G, Staal, Boyle - these guys aren't going anywhere (for now). Trading Yandle would be a HUGE mistake. So, you trade Klein because:

A) He's tradeable, meaning he has value
B) It might be better for the Rangers if they had a different style of RHD than Klein

In reality, trading Staal makes the most sense for the Rangers. We have Skjei in the pipeline who will probably be NHL ready by December, or next season at the latest if his development goes well. And we have Yandle, who is a legitimate top-pairing d-man toiling away on our bottom pair. I have a gut feeling the Rangers will want to keep Yentil around for a while.

I don't suspect trading Staal (or Girardi) will become a centerpoint of conversation until next off-season, though.

Klein could be traded. Packaged with Talbot, or on his own. I just don't have enough knowledge of potential right-side D-men that are shot suppressors who are on the market right now.

I know he's not necessarily the most popular guy on this board, but as a FA, Franson isn't that horrendous. Can Jonny Oduya play the right side? Can Barrett Jackman play the right side?

Can we play Yandle on the right? Then trade Klein for a forward?

McD - G
Staal - Yandle
Hunwick - Boyle
McIlrath

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

We finally have a top-5 offensive dman in the NHL with a cap hit of $2.65M, and people want to trade him. It makes zero sense.:help:

Agreed, people keep saying to trade Yandle, when he hasn't done anything wrong, he hasn't played a full season with the team, and he can skate, Klein really can't. It's bad enough that Staal and Girardi can't skate, so can we have at least 3 mobile dmen? :help:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

No. He makes 3M and is a bottom pairing dman. Thats too much.

A fluke month then regressed to his career norms. He wasnt that good before his injury.

Trade Yandle? Why? He and McDonagh are the only dmen on this team I would not be willing to part with. Vermette? No.

bscharf

Jan 28, 2010

A cap hit of $2.65 mil for one more year. Then an UFA whose last contract had an annual cap hit of 5.75 per! And is going to almost be 30 and want a term because this will be his last big contract. Also--he is a left handed shot, so are you putting him on the right side?

All of that in addition to having to resign stepan/krieder/hagelin/hayes/miller/fast over the next two years.

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
You may need to re-read my post because I am saying I dont understand why people would want to trade klein so im not sure who youre referring to in bold.

Because he isnt good and he makes 3 million. Thats why we want to trade him.

BarbaraAlphanse

Is that rumored talbot package legit? If so, I do that trade yesterday.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
You may need to re-read my post because I am saying I dont understand why people would want to trade klein so im not sure who youre referring to in bold.

I was referring to you saying that Klein's contract was a steal at $2.9M for the next three years, meanwhile, we have Keith Yandle, a top-5 offensive defenseman in the league, for $2.6M next season.

Klein was really good for about 2 months at the beginning of the season when he was shooting at a much higher rate than his career average. After that, he regressed back to his standards, which really aren't that good given he makes a hair under $3M. We can find a better 3rd pairing RD for much cheaper.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Or people see those 4 months where he was hot as a hot streak and the best he could possibly look, when the other 95% of his career shows he a 5-6 guy on a good team. Which is fine, I like Klein a lot. I just see the benefit in using him as a trade chip.

It's not like anybody is advocating trading Klein for a 6th or something.

Bold: you don't want to trade Klein, but do want to trade Yandle? What? Why?

We've been searching for a good offensive D man since we lost Leetch, and Yandle is a top 5 offensive D in the league and we want to trade him? Okay.

bscharf

Jan 28, 2010
I was referring to you saying that Klein's contract was a steal at $2.9M for the next three years, meanwhile, we have Keith Yandle, a top-5 offensive defenseman in the league, for $2.6M next season.

Klein was really good for about 2 months at the beginning of the season when he was shooting at a much higher rate than his career average. After that, he regressed back to his standards, which really aren't that good given he makes a hair under $3M. We can find a better 3rd pairing RD for much cheaper.

A cap hit of $2.65 mil for one more year.

Then an UFA whose last contract had an annual cap hit of 5.75 per! And is going to almost be 30 and want a term because this will be his last big contract. Also--he is a left handed shot, so are you putting him on the right side?

All of that in addition to having to resign stepan/krieder/hagelin/hayes/miller/fast over the next two years.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
A cap hit of $2.65 mil for one more year.

Then an UFA whose last contract had an annual cap hit of 5.75 per! And is going to almost be 30 and want a term because this will be his last big contract. Also--he is a left handed shot, so are you putting him on the right side?

Yandle at 5.75 >>>>> Klein at 3

bscharf

Jan 28, 2010
Yandle at 5.75 >>>>> Klein at 3

All other things equal I can agree with you on that. For sure.

But where is the money coming from for Stepan/Kreider/Hags/Hayes/Miller/Fast who all need to be resigned this year and next. Stepan alone will be in line for a $3mil/year raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad