WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Pretty naive to think it will be any better attendence numbers because Malmö is close to Europe. The only thing helping there is that foreigners can get the hell out of there fast when the games are over. :D

I still believe having it in a smaller hockey town like Jönköping, Växjö, Gävle, Övik and Skellefteå etc would make it alot more fun.

Nice strawman argument.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Kinda like yours then. That full circle and all.

Haha, really? Let's review:

Trotzig said:
Pretty naivë to think the case would be different in any other part of the world than Canada.

badumtsh said:
Pretty naive to think it will be any better attendence numbers because Malmö is close to Europe.

Clearly, I stated that Malmö will have better attendence numbers because they're close to the continent, not because they have the second highest average hockey attendence in Sweden; http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Statistics/Attendance/3005

badumtsh

Jan 3, 2012
Haha, really? Let's review:

Clearly, I stated that Malmö will have better attendence numbers because they're close to the continent, not because they have the second highest average hockey attendence in Sweden; http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Statistics/Attendance/3005
No you called me naive for thinking that anything other than Canadians could get some what decent audience for Non-home team games without even coming up with a counter argument from what I wrote from the very beginning. Then you pull the "strawman" bull when your original comment was just calling me out for being naive, like that would be any better.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
map.gif

The facts displayed, Sweden doesn't go as north as Finland does.

Cut it off boys, there is no north in Sweden. North starts, where Sweden ends! In Finland, we have the real North :sarcasm:

Land north of Oulu river can hardly be called Finland. Thats Sapmi.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
No you called me naive for thinking that anything other than Canadians could get some what decent audience for Non-home team games without even coming up with a counter argument from what I wrote from the very beginning. Then you pull the "strawman" bull when your original comment was just calling me out for being naive, like that would be any better.

I didn't call you naivë, just your reasoning. But I do think it's pretty far-fetched to assume the level of attendence would be acceptable for lower profile games in a U20 tournament anywhere else in the world than Canada. Even when the tournament has been held in Canada the attendence has been so-so for some games. Not to mention the previous years, including this, when it's been held outside of Canada.

Mora-Leksand had an average attendence of ~2000 I think.

I also haven't refuted your claim that holding the tournament in any other city would be better. Except for the attendence numbers I linked in my previous post I can't summon any argument to the contrary that isn't highly arbitrary in nature since these type of tournaments are not a frequent occurence.

Now, I think holding the tournament in Malmö is part experiment, part compensation. Malmö was supposed to co-host the WHC with Stockholm in 2013(?) but got shafted by the federation and given the WJC instead as compensation.

As for what is a "better" city to host this tournament -- that's HIGHLY subjective until we atleast have some numbers from Malmö in 2014.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
I think I remember now. It's done on rankings and points and things like that isn't it?

Looking at last years result and the groups this year, I would guess it works something like this;

* Winner in A (SWE).
* 2nd & 3rd in B (RUS/CAN).
* 4th/5th in A (FIN/CZE).
* 6th/7th in B (SVK/USA).
* 9th A (LAT).

No idea about 10th place. They belong in Group B but I'm not sure how which team is determined.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Looking at last years result and the groups this year, I would guess it works something like this;

* Winner in A (SWE).
* 2nd & 3rd in B (RUS/CAN).
* 4th/5th in A (FIN/CZE).
* 6th/7th in B (SVK/USA).
* 9th A (LAT).

No idea about 10th place.

10th would go to the space that's free surely? (Because that'd be the team that's relegated/promoted?)

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
10th would go to the space that's free surely? (Because that'd be the team that's relegated/promoted?)

Yes, I edited. Denmark placed 10th last year and Germany won Div 1. 10th team automatically demoted to D1 and winner of D1 promoted to the big leagues perhaps?

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
I think Sweden is easier for European folks to visit than freaking Ufa, no matter how ghettoed up it is in Malmö

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
As others have said the arena is just one stop away from Copenhagen airport. It would make just as mush sense to stay in Copenhagen but why not split cities so you get to see everything. Air Canada has a daily flight from Toronto to Copenhagen. The thing about Christiania as that it's not what it used to be. Gangs have taken over and I'd seriously consider going there. Also because there's nothing to see really. If you go, please do everything to avoid looking like a tourist and do not go after darkness. You'd expose yourself to real danger. Also DO NOT take pictures. I have no suggestion for hotels since I've never lived in one here, but there are a bunch of really large new ones near the airport with round-the-clock metro connection to the center of Copenhagen.

Swep

Dec 31, 2010
Sundsvall
Its not just the arenas, it is 3 good cities with many hotels and things to do. There is nothing wrong with Swedbank Arena and E:on Arena. Gärdehallen might not be great tho but do we need more then two arenas? And the best thing about it? It is not Stockholm, Gothenburg or Malmö ;)

Calling Timrå a city would be the exaggeration of the century. Small place that smells like **** and has an arena in the middle of the forest. It's too hard to get from Sundsvall to E:on, so the attendance would be terrible (main reason for Timrås poor attendance in the SEL). If Sundsvall had a decent arena I think Ö-vik/Sundsvall wouldn't be such a bad idea. Sundsvall isn't that bad of a city if you stay for a week or two. Has hotels, pubs, cinema, bowling or w/e you wanna do to stay entertained, but it's an awful place to live imo.

Best choice of city imo would be Gothenburg.
I think no matter where it's held, games like Latvia - Switzerland will have low attendance. It's not like people will go to see their NHL teams prospects, there is a need for higher entertainment. If it's marketed well enough and the tickets aren't too expensive, the decent games will perhaps not all be sold out, but definitly have a decent attendance.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Is it really that odd that they place the tournament in the city with the best hockey arena we have by far in sweden?

The only thing I could complain about is as people have said, Malmö is 90% a football town. MFF rules that town and I do not expect to see many people at games that does not include Sweden or Denmark.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Malmö is not ghettoed up at all. Especially not if you're in the city. The people saying this has most likely never even been to the city. I live 20 mins away and has spent a lot of time there.

MISC*

Malmö is a mess. If you do decide to go there, at least stay at the hotel room after dark, and don't wander off to the real bad parts (IE Rosengård). And before you say I don't know what I am talkning about: I was born and raised in Malmö. Now moved away from the lost city. Far away.

Bro, we're Canadian.

We don't dive in the streets. North to South. Hard nosed Canadian tourist.

We ain't scurred on no Swedish gangs.

:yo:

PuckOut

Feb 23, 2009
www.youtube.com
Malmö is not ghettoed up at all. Especially not if you're in the city. The people saying this has most likely never even been to the city. I live 20 mins away and has spent a lot of time there.

Yes, it's embarrassing to read some of the "warnings" here.

Someone visiting Malmö for the WJC shouldn't (and of course won't) go into the worst housing projects. They have no reason to, and they wont.

And outside of that, there's really no problem for anyone with some common sense. It's a decent city and there are some nice spots in the city centre (Lilla Torg f.e.).

That said I think Malmö was a somewhat poor choice as host and attendance will probably be disappointing.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I googled it, but I thought I could get some insight here as well.

What's the best way to get over the bridge from Copenhagen to Malmo? Just drive and pay the fee for every game? It looks like it's 45 Euros for each trip. Even if you pay for a ten trip pass, it's 32 Euros a trip which will add up very quickly if people are looking to stay in Copenhagen.

I may be way off, and I can accept that. There's a bus too, but their site is offline until tomorrow.

Any expert opinions from Sweden/Denmark (or anyone else I guess)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad