Prospect Info: 2014 Traverse City Prospect Tournament (September 12th - 16th)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Size is important but Nill seems to regard hockey smarts relative to size more than Nieuwendyk. I doubt JN1.0 would have drafted a sub six foot defenseman at 14th overall.

I definitely like seeing that we have a lot of big guys but I'm happier that I now know size isn't a trump card like it might have been in the past.

I agree, but it's not too far off though probably. If I had time, I'd dig up the McDonnell quote from around the draft where he listed the three most important things and size was one of them.

They're not size crazy, but all things equal I believe he said size can often be a deciding factor.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
A lot of the later picks seemed mainly motivated by size. I don't really care for it as a strategy or priority.

MetalGodAOD*

Is there a GM/scout in the NHL who doesn't say the same **** regarding the importance of size? Just once I'd love someone to say it's not important. Of course Nill/Jackson put emphasis on it.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I agree, but it's not too far off though probably. If I had time, I'd dig up the McDonnell quote from around the draft where he listed the three most important things and size was one of them.

They're not size crazy, but all things equal I believe he said size can often be a deciding factor.

Main thing I was getting at is that from what I remember hearing/reading from Nill, he values hockey IQ above all else. Size is good and I'm fine with it being a deciding factor if all things are equal (I don't think that is unique at all around the league), but I get the impression that size isn't as important to the new regime as it was to the previous. True or not, I got the impression that under Nieuwy they basically weren't interested in smaller guys at all. Ideally, it's all a balance.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Just noticed this ...

Huw Wales DBD ‏@HuwDBD Aug 27

Interesting that neither of the Dallas Stars 2014 European prospects are on the Traverse City Roster (Miro Karjalainen and John Nyberg)

It's not remotely interesting. Dallas hasn't had a European draft pick who was going to stay in Europe the season following his draft play in this tournament.

Nichushkin was NHL or bust last year, and Paulovic left Europe to play in the OHL. Honka could end up back in Europe, but we all know the goal is to some how sneak him in the AHL potentially.

Primetimey*

Just noticed this ...

It's not remotely interesting. Dallas hasn't had a European draft pick who was going to stay in Europe the season following his draft play in this tournament.

Nichushkin was NHL or bust last year, and Paulovic left Europe to play in the OHL. Honka could end up back in Europe, but we all know the goal is to some how sneak him in the AHL potentially.

Yup, that is a stupid uninformed tweet. All you have to do is look at the history and notice that European players don't make the jump.

Last year, no Hansson or Makela the year before, no Lindell or Kiviaho the year before, no Molin or Jokipakka.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Some more on Mads:

Eller plays like a human missile; fast as hell and eager to blow something up. The problem early on was that he had no sense of control or when the smart play was to not throw the hit. By January he'd started to figure things out and had also found some offensive touch as well which led to confidence.

By the time the playoffs and Memorial Cup rolled around, Eller was more than a bit player; he was part of a valuable third line with Riley Kieser and Luc Bertolucci.

That's one of the more entertaining ways I've seen a player described.

aloonda*

Size is important but Nill seems to regard hockey smarts relative to size more than Nieuwendyk. I doubt JN1.0 would have drafted a sub six foot defenseman at 14th overall.

I definitely like seeing that we have a lot of big guys but I'm happier that I now know size isn't a trump card like it might have been in the past.

agree

Primetimey*

TWO DAYS!

BxNbIulCQAAlbSx.jpg:large

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Any word on streams for any of the tournaments this week-end? The only team I've seen offering it is the Flames but obviously I'd rather have some Traverse City streams. I'd be happy with any other teams too though as long as I have some hockey to watch

Primetimey*

No streams for Traverse.. it is really sad actually. The Penticton Tournament offers way way way better coverage. Traverse is pitiful.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Riverdeck looking every bit the elder statesman.

Who's across from Honka and Dickinson?

Primetimey*

Shirley is beside Honka, no idea who that is across. Doesn't look like Eller from the pictures I just searched.. but maybe?

Edit: It is Ludwig Karlsson

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Sabres fan coming in peace. Was hoping to find that you had TV or live streams of the games but it appears the answer is no. I haven't doubled-checked this for myself however my understanding is that MSG does broadcast the Rangers games so if you have all of the DirecTV sports channels you may be able to watch the Stars/Rangers game.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Sabres fan coming in peace. Was hoping to find that you had TV or live streams of the games but it appears the answer is no. I haven't doubled-checked this for myself however my understanding is that MSG does broadcast the Rangers games so if you have all of the DirecTV sports channels you may be able to watch the Stars/Rangers game.

They didn't last season and I'm guessing they won't this season since there hasn't been a single mention of it.

MetalGodAOD*

Yep; I've been following it and it doesn't look like MSG is airing anything for Traverse City this year either. A shame.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
It begins!

Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge 1m
Brendan Ranford, Jason Dickinson and Brett Ritchie skating as a line this morning in Traverse City. Radek Faksa centering Stransky and Elie.

Nice to see Laxdal keep Faksa and Stransky together.

Primetimey*

I'm just going to post the pointstreak link here for the Tournament:
http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/scoreboard.html?leagueid=505

But is there anything else that is possible to get a better experience from the tournament? Or is that and watching Twitter updates the best that can be done?

Sadly Traverse City tournament organizers still think we are in the 90's and it is difficult to stream live content online. Seriously, I have no idea what their excuse could be for not putting up the most simple broadcast.

Just wait for Mark Stepneski YouTube clips and follow Pointstreak/Twitter.

Yup. It sucks.

We should go to the Penticton tournament instead.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Especially annoying because of that service FAST Hockey or whatever it's called. At least you could them to come by.

It's one freaking camera that sits at center ice and swings back and forth.

I doubt Dallas every goes anywhere other than Traverse though, especially with Nill at the helm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad