Prospect Info: 2014 Traverse City Prospect Tournament (September 12th - 16th)

Primetimey*

Just for fun:

Ully - Dickinson - Ritchie
Eller - Faksa - Stransky
Elie - Pollock - Troock
Ranford - Smith - Karlsson
(Paulovic/Peters/Shirley)

Jokipakka - Klingberg
Bystrom - Honka
Peters - Vance
(Savindo/Haydon)

Desrosiers
Kiviaho
Moran

Today, the Stars updated their prospects page: http://stars.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

The first interesting point to note is that Shirley is on this page, Eller isn't.

The second interesting point to note is the players with jersey numbers and those without. For example, Shirley has a number but Alex Peters doesn't. Pretty sure the players without numbers aren't going to Traverse.. but just a total guess.

*Edit, just noticed they forced Faksa to switch from 94 to 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
*Edit, just noticed they forced Faksa to switch from 94 to 12.

part of the no more high numbers policy that never really got off the ground last year?

I guess phasing it in with the prospects is a good way not to upset any of the roster regulars.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hemsky is 83 and Spezza just took 90.

They're very much picking and choosing how to apply that rule if it's what they're really doing.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Hemsky is 83 and Spezza just took 90.

They're very much picking and choosing how to apply that rule if it's what they're really doing.

It's way different to tell a guy with 600+ games of NHL experience that you just signed or are trying to sign that they can't have a high number.

Besides, I bet Spezza would rather have 19, but there's the whole retired number thing in the way.

Most prospects/rookies don't get complete freedom to choose their numbers anyway, so it's not like that's a new thing.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's way different to tell a guy with 600+ games of NHL experience that you just signed or are trying to sign that they can't have a high number.

Besides, I bet Spezza would rather have 19, but there's the whole retired number thing in the way.

Most prospects/rookies don't get complete freedom to choose their numbers anyway, so it's not like that's a new thing.

That's obvious, but that will always potentially be an excuse so I'm just saying it's not like this club will ever get to 100% traditional numbers. They'll always likely have a few exceptions for that reason.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
True, but I think most of the newcomers are going to have to prove themselves exceptional to get a high or non-traditional number long term.

I guess you could argue that Nichuskin's number is high and non-traditional for a forward. No one else drafted recently made the NHL after their draft year either, so he kind of fits the exceptional rule.

Primetimey*

Per my friend Mark Stepneski, Eller on ATO.

Lindell, Bystrom, Molin at Traverse.

I would guess guys like Savindo, Peters not in attendance.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah so history is sort of repeating itself with Euros coming over the year before. Be interesting to see next year which guys push their way into the discussion for North America. Makela and Hansson could easily play 2 more seasons in Europe beyond this one. Sinitsyn probably has one more in Russia after this one.

Primetimey*

Well I got the AHL guys right *Pats self on back*

Thanks for link.

*Edit, just noticed no Klingberg.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
yeah, in a dev camp environment, sanvido didn't look very good...

more interestingly, stepneski is a onedrive and office web apps user!

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Double hip surgery was it not? I can understand if it's taking longer than they thought.

It was and he's already skating. My guess is there's no reason to risk himself against mostly teenagers trying to make a name for themselves.

I'd love to see him get up and running though

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
hmm if Brett Pollock was actually 22 years old and playing in the WHL last year as Heika's spreadsheet indicates, I have a big problem with taking him in the 2nd round of the draft. :sarcasm:

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'm hoping Ully has gained some weight but I'm pleased he's grown at least. I'm pretty sure he was 5'10" when we took him. If he can top out over 6'0" and put on some weight to get in the 190lb range he'd be more than big enough for the wing in the NHL.

Really curious to see how far Vance has come. Guy has all the physical tools you could want in a defenseman. Would love for him to be on the slow plan to Brooks Orpik-lite in the next couple of years.

Primetimey*

Man going through that roster, do we ever have some size in the system these days.

Eighteen players 6'2" or taller. I'm thinking the average height of this team is taller than the Stars roster and the weight is about the same.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Eighteen players 6'2" or taller. I'm thinking the average height of this team is taller than the Stars roster and the weight is about the same.

It's great to see. Guys can usually get stronger, but you can't force someone to grow.

GMJN1 started the trend but I'm really happy to see Nill values size as well.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Size is important but Nill seems to regard hockey smarts relative to size more than Nieuwendyk. I doubt JN1.0 would have drafted a sub six foot defenseman at 14th overall.

I definitely like seeing that we have a lot of big guys but I'm happier that I now know size isn't a trump card like it might have been in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad