Speculation: 2014 Trade Deadline Discussion - Part IX - The Buffalo Syndrome

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael8771*

Source?

OK, so you absolutely have zero source. So why is the statement above written in a way that suggests it's factual? From what I have heard, while Goc is not untouchable, Florida would like to try to re-sign him. Don't forget, they have to hit the salary floor.
How about this, let's wait and see if we get Goc or some such player before we suggest that I don't know, ok? If it doesn't happen fine, you can blame me for throwing it out there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Unless they plan on using Jokinen as a C more often.

Kunitz-Crosby-Jokinen
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
X-Kesler-X

or

Kunitz-Crosby-Kesler
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
X-Jokinen-X

Whoever is the 3C may depend on opponent or game situation (up a goal or down a goal). Not saying that's necessarily what I would do, but it might be what the Penguins do.

You really seem to give Disco way too much credit. For one thing, Jussi is not splitting up from Geno and Neal. Second, we will not change who our 3rd line center is based on game situations. It simply won't happen. Disco isn't that good at his job.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
The bottom six is in desperate need more than the first line is.

See, I just really, really, really disagree. Fixing our top line should be priority number one. The bottom six should NEVER be more important than putting the best player in the world in a position to succeed.

namsnoodle

Feb 27, 2013
Yeah. Ray's deals usually come out of nowhere. Vancouver could very well just be driving the price up.

If its goes beyond Sutter+DP+1st, I'm out. And I'd love Kesler here.

Well if they ask for one more player, I'd be okay with getting rid of Orpik!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
page 42

hqdefault.jpg

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If the Penguins acquire Kesler to play on the 3rd line that would be an extreme case of misuse and mismanagement and the entire coaching staff and front office should be fired. Kesler's a former 40 goal scorer and he's played RW in the NHL very recently.

With the salaries we have on the books the 3 center model is dead. What we need are two complete lines and a bottom-6 filled with role players and guys that can chip in offensively once in a while and not get scored on.

While I agree with the premise, that we should be focused on wingers, Ryan Kesler doesn't want to play wing. Earlier this season, the Canucks were rolling and Kesler was racking up point after point as the right-winger with the Sedin twins. Had they stayed together, they might have been the top line in the NHL. Kesler went back to center and Tortorella never went back to it. The spin has always been that they can't be a one-line team, but they've gone in such a downward spiral that you'd think Torts would have gone back to what was working in October...the Sedin-Sedin-Kesler line. He hasn't.

Kesler has a lot of pull on that team. If he wanted to play wing with the Sedin's, he'd be playing wing with the Sedin's.

If this trade is made, I'm sure our geniuses will make Kesler a 'promise' that he only would be playing wing for this season. He'd be back playing center next season. And this promise would also fall in line with their other promise about Dupuis playing on the first line.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they'd promise Kesler that HE would be the SECOND center next season...and they'd move Malkin to wing. Literally nothing would surprise me anymore with this group.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
You really seem to give Disco way too much credit. For one thing, Jussi is not splitting up from Geno and Neal. Second, we will not change who our 3rd line center is based on game situations. It simply won't happen. Disco isn't that good at his job.

Good point.

PRESEASON HAT TRICK AGAINST COLUMBUS FTW!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If Kesler was going to be Sid's winger, I'd be fine with it. But that's not how I see the team using him, and that's not how some here are suggesting using him.

Were I GM... I would want a contract amendment on Kesler's deal to ensure that it was legally binding that he play nothing but 1RW. Or I would just fire my learn-on-the-job coach and hire someone who I didn't have to be friends with and make uncomfortable by expecting them to do their job.

That's the only way I'd do the deal. And obviously both options are varying degrees of silly and unrealistic.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
See, I just really, really, really disagree. Fixing our top line should be priority number one. The bottom six should NEVER be more important than putting the best player in the world in a position to succeed.

If the other teams score 60% of the goals when the best player in the world is not on the ice, he is not in a position to succeed, no matter who he's playing with.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com

I appreciate the sentiment, but man is that bottom six atrocious. Even if we got Kesler, we need a third AND a fourth liner.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009

Well, I see upgrading Sid's wing as a way to fix the bottom 6 by proxy. "Trickle down economics"

If Kesler moves up beside Sid, we can see the following when healthy.

Kunitz/BB - Sid - Kesler
BB/Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Dupuis - Jokinen - Gibbons/Megna
Pyatt - Adams - Megna/Gibbons/Glass

That 3rd line doesn't look terrible. Jokinen would be a little slow/soft but whatever. Could also get a Goc or other winger and roll:

Jokinen/Gibbons/Megna - Goc - Dupuis

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I say if the Pens get Kesler, you should have to sport a Rossi "journalistic integrity" avatar for the playoffs.

Yah because seeing that everyone is talking about Kesler, and making a subsequent comment that "I have multiple sources" who say we'll trade _____, is the same thing as integrity / having actual information. ;)

If we trade exactly who Rossi said we'd trade, then I will initiate a personal one month moratorium on all Rossi-bashing. Others should feel free to continue bashing, because he's Rossi. If he does it again this summer, I will admit that he has finally found "a source" that isn't Josh Yohe or Mark "Spittle Bag" Madden. But he'll never stop being a PR schill I'm afraid. Hence, no integritah.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Exactly. What billybudd's chart can never explain is the impact Sidney Crosby could have with a right-winger with hands. The last time that happened, Bill Guerin, we won a Cup. The year before, he had Marian Hossa and we made the finals.

Oh sure, Ryan Kesler has hands. But he wants to play center.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
While I agree with the premise, that we should be focused on wingers, Ryan Kesler doesn't want to play wing. Earlier this season, the Canucks were rolling and Kesler was racking up point after point as the right-winger with the Sedin twins. Had they stayed together, they might have been the top line in the NHL. Kesler went back to center and Tortorella never went back to it. The spin has always been that they can't be a one-line team, but they've gone in such a downward spiral that you'd think Torts would have gone back to what was working in October...the Sedin-Sedin-Kesler line. He hasn't.

Kesler has a lot of pull on that team. If he wanted to play wing with the Sedin's, he'd be playing wing with the Sedin's.

If this trade is made, I'm sure our geniuses will make Kesler a 'promise' that he only would be playing wing for this season. He'd be back playing center next season. And this promise would also fall in line with their other promise about Dupuis playing on the first line.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they'd promise Kesler that HE would be the SECOND center next season...and they'd move Malkin to wing. Literally nothing would surprise me anymore with this group.

Kesler would have to be the biggest imbecile on the planet to think he is playing pivot over Malkin or Crosby.

There are worse problems in life than making millions of dollars and playing wing centered by the best player in the world.

Michael8771*

If Kesler was going to be Sid's winger, I'd be fine with it. But that's not how I see the team using him, and that's not how some here are suggesting using him.

Staal played quite a lot. Adding Kesler might just be the excuse Disco needs to play Glass and Kobasew the minutes they really deserve on that 3rd line.
I'll say this to you both, Kesler IMO will play with Sid more than not. We've seen Adam's get way more ice time than he should, and he's DB's pet. If he would get an elevated role relative to his meager talent, why couldn't we expect the same for Kesler? Beyond that Kesler improves our team and he's under contract for three playoff runs. This is a guy who could really enhance our chances. You got to make that deal.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Exactly. What billybudd's chart can never explain is the impact Sidney Crosby could have with a right-winger with hands. The last time that happened, Bill Guerin, we won a Cup. The year before, he had Marian Hossa and we made the finals.

Oh sure, Ryan Kesler has hands. But he wants to play center.

I bet he'd rather play wing with Crosby than center Tanner Glass and Chuck Kobasew :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Kesler would have to be the biggest imbecile on the planet to think he is playing pivot over Malkin or Crosby.

There are worse problems in life than making millions of dollars and playing wing centered by the best player in the world.

Oh... it wouldn't be on Kesler's insistence.

I assure you of that.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'll say this to you both, Kesler IMO will play with Sid more than not. We've seen Adam's get way more ice time than he should, and he's DB's pet. If he would get an elevated role relative to his meager talent, why couldn't we expect the same for Kesler? Beyond that Kesler improves our team and he's under contract for three playoff runs. This is a guy who could really enhance our chances. You got to make that deal.

I think Dan Bylsma believes that Ryan Kesler would turn our 3rd line into the best 3rd line in hockey, and I think he'd play it as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad