2014 NHL Draft Discussion: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Dal Colle looked good in the Prospects Game, not great though. The kid has got a sick shot, lightning fast release. There wasn't much the goalie can do on his goal, I think he went top shelf from what I remember. His skating wasn't bad, but it could use some improvment. I noticed that everything he does is high effort, looked a bit frenetic to me. He needs to fill out and when he does, he could be the best player from this class.

Of all the players at the top, I think Dal Colle may be the best fit for us. He plays a similar puck possession style to JT and has high end offensive instincts and ability. Whether he stays at center or wing, I think he could be an excellent LW for Johnny and KO.

Thanks for the insight PW ! I really want Ekblad, Reinhart or Bennett (in that order), but I have a feeling we will be drafting #4 or #5 (we are currently #4). The Islanders are not tanking, they are playing some decent hockey since the Olympic break, the kids are playing hard, AND showing their talent (Lee, Strome, De haan etc). I think we wind up with Dal Colle, Draisatl or Ehlers. All very talented forwards in their own right.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Thanks for the insight PW ! I really want Ekblad, Reinhart or Bennett (in that order), but I have a feeling we will be drafting #4 or #5 (we are currently #4). The Islanders are not tanking, they are playing some decent hockey since the Olympic break, the kids are playing hard, AND showing their talent (Lee, Strome, De haan etc). I think we wind up with Dal Colle, Draisatl or Ehlers. All very talented forwards in their own right.

Could get lucky and win lotto. That said, as long as we finish anywhere in the top-3 we will get a can't miss.

My list would be different though:

1. Bennett
2. Reinhart
3. Trade the pick to a team that desperately wants Ekblad and is willing to pay through the nose.
4. Ekblad

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I actually think the best fits for the Islanders are Sam Bennett, Michael Dal Colle and Nikolaj Ehlers.

Whether the Isles pick 1st, 2nd or 3rd, I think Bennett should be the pick if he is available. He brings skill, leadership, grit and heart. I dont see him as a centre in the NHL full time. I think he will be a similar situation as Zetterberg and will be a great #1 LW or amazing #2 centre and can switch around at either position if necessary.

Out of the top 3 Dal Colle is the pick if hes available IMO. Size and skill like his are not found often. That shot with JT...:amazed:

Ehlers is just so so so skilled. I see him play in the Q and there is no way he makes the NHL and isnt a star. He has the highest bust potential of these guys but if he gains weight and makes the NHL he will be the best pick of all the draft. Outside of Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett and Dal Colle he should be the next guy picked. But he will probably go after Draisaitl and Ritchie.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I actually think the best fits for the Islanders are Sam Bennett, Michael Dal Colle and Nikolaj Ehlers.

Whether the Isles pick 1st, 2nd or 3rd, I think Bennett should be the pick if he is available. He brings skill, leadership, grit and heart. I dont see him as a centre in the NHL full time. I think he will be a similar situation as Zetterberg and will be a great #1 LW or amazing #2 centre and can switch around at either position if necessary.

Out of the top 3 Dal Colle is the pick if hes available IMO. Size and skill like his are not found often. That shot with JT...:amazed:

Ehlers is just so so so skilled. I see him play in the Q and there is no way he makes the NHL and isnt a star. He has the highest bust potential of these guys but if he gains weight and makes the NHL he will be the best pick of all the draft. Outside of Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett and Dal Colle he should be the next guy picked. But he will probably go after Draisaitl and Ritchie.

If we win the lottery (which we obviously won't), I think we should try and trade down to 3 if we aren't planning on picking Eckblad. Edmonton would be interested for sure, perhaps we could salvage 2 2nd round picks or something like that for trading down.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
If we win the lottery (which we obviously won't), I think we should try and trade down to 3 if we aren't planning on picking Eckblad. Edmonton would be interested for sure, perhaps we could salvage 2 2nd round picks or something like that for trading down.

If Edmonton is at #3 then trading pick #1 + 4th round pick for #3 + #33 is a good move already.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think if we are sitting on Ekblad and get a call from EDM, the asset Snow would be looking for would be a 2015 2nd rounder.

What do you all think of Fleury? He's a big kid and a July birthday, and his profile fits exactly what the Isles seem to like in d-men.

As for Ehlers, was it a typo or is he a full year older than the other top prospects?

BTW, I've never seen 2 top prospects born on the very same day before (Bennett and Dal Colle). Kinda funny.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
I think if we are sitting on Ekblad and get a call from EDM, the asset Snow would be looking for would be a 2015 2nd rounder.

That is exactly the type of trade for the pick that is sensible. You still pick a winner this year and pick up a 2nd in next years draft which mitigates the Vanek trade somewhat as you would now have two 2nd's in next years draft.

The only reason I would be hesitant to do that is if you win and have a chance at Ekblad most articles I have read on this years draft say that Ekblad is the closest pick to being ready to play at the NHL level. But then if you win it all then you also have S. Reinhart standing there and personally I think that's the way they would go as having two of the Reinhart brothers would be too good a PR thing to pass up.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
If Edmonton is at #3 then trading pick #1 + 4th round pick for #3 + #33 is a good move already.

I'm asking for more then that...

Ederle and Edm 1st for our 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Edm is desperate for d. They GM wants to be bold...they need to blow me away or I'm drafting ekblad

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
That is exactly the type of trade for the pick that is sensible. You still pick a winner this year and pick up a 2nd in next years draft which mitigates the Vanek trade somewhat as you would now have two 2nd's in next years draft.

The only reason I would be hesitant to do that is if you win and have a chance at Ekblad most articles I have read on this years draft say that Ekblad is the closest pick to being ready to play at the NHL level. But then if you win it all then you also have S. Reinhart standing there and personally I think that's the way they would go as having two of the Reinhart brothers would be too good a PR thing to pass up.

But then the problem is that if the Isles trade down to EDM's slot, is BUFF going to pick Reinhart with an interim pick (assuming that's who the Isles want).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Edm is desperate for d. They GM wants to be bold...they need to blow me away or I'm drafting ekblad

as it stands now they will have thier shot at Ekblad...

Plus they wouldnt move Eberle to move up to draft Ekblad...

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
as it stands now they will have thier shot at Ekblad...

Plus they wouldnt move Eberle to move up to draft Ekblad...

I think they might. Desperate organization. I don't really care...I'm more then happy to take ekblad. I'm not moving the pick unless I get a big payday

Last edited:

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I think they might. Desperate organization. I don't really care...I'm more then happy to take ekblad. I'm not moving the pick unless I get a big payday

?? Why would you not want Ekblad?

Moving up 2 spots doesnt make up for trading Eberle for a 2nd + 3rd.

With Reinhart, Pulock, Pokka, Pelech, Mayfield and already two young guys in De Haan and Hamonic, Ekblad doesnt have more value to the organization than Bennett + 2nd.

Especially since any of the Reinhart, Ekblad and Bennett can go 1st overall. Ekblad just isnt going to be a Norris winner or top 10 defender in the NHL. Id bet money on that.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Moving up 2 spots doesnt make up for trading Eberle for a 2nd + 3rd.

With Reinhart, Pulock, Pokka, Pelech, Mayfield and already two young guys in De Haan and Hamonic, Ekblad doesnt have more value to the organization than Bennett + 2nd.

Especially since any of the Reinhart, Ekblad and Bennett can go 1st overall. Ekblad just isnt going to be a Norris winner or top 10 defender in the NHL. Id bet money on that.

It might be if your Edm starring at another top draft pick that is a forward...this is assuming they are at 3. Add another piece if you want..like I said, I want a huge haul or I draft Ekblad.

Ekblad is a serious talent. He is a good shot at a number 1 dman, which I'm not sure we have in the org. He immediately becomes our best def prospect. I don't think all those guys you mention pan out and who cares if they do, Ekblad will be better then all of them. Move some of them. He is, IMO, the safest bet in the draft. I'm about drafting bpa, not by need.

No 1d are tough to pass up.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
It might be if your Edm starring at another top draft pick that is a forward...this is assuming they are at 3. Add another piece if you want..like I said, I want a huge haul or I draft Ekblad.

Ekblad is a serious talent. He is a good shot at a number 1 dman, which I'm not sure we have in the org. He immediately becomes our best def prospect. I don't think all those guys you mention pan out and who cares if they do, Ekblad will be better then all of them. Move some of them. He is, IMO, the safest bet in the draft. I'm about drafting bpa, not by need.

No 1d are tough to pass up.

That is exactly it. Move one of the others. Keep Ekblad if we are so lucky as to get him.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Obviously it's all a matter of opinion.... but IMO, Ekblad is the BPA in this draft, and it isn't a close enough gap to pass him up by drafting for need. That is, unless they trade down a few spots.... and that depends on what they get in return.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
How about:
:isles 3rd overall, Mitchell Moroz (possibly Klefbom instead), oilers 2nd rounder 2015
:edmonton 1st overall

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
If the Isles get the 1st pick, they'd be stupid not to pick Ekblad. Our defense would be at for 10 years with top notch talent. Ekblad is an unbelievable talent, would be on the 1st pp with Pulock, and also be on our 1st or 2nd pairing on D. Imagine

Reinhart-Pulock
Ekblad-Pokka
Pelech-Mayfield
Pedan

A defense with great size, good skating, and good offense from Pulock and Ekblad, add in some offense from the rest of those guys too. And who knows what we have in Czuczman ? Very good defense in front of hopefully, a good goalie.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

What do you all think of Fleury? He's a big kid and a July birthday, and his profile fits exactly what the Isles seem to like in d-men.

As for Ehlers, was it a typo or is he a full year older than the other top prospects?

BTW, I've never seen 2 top prospects born on the very same day before (Bennett and Dal Colle). Kinda funny.

It's a typo on many lists. He is a 96 born. Just turned 18 last month. (13th)

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
In the 1999 draft the 2nd and 3rd overall picks had the same birthday.

:sarcasm:

:laugh:

The really sad thing is, I just had to look that up to see who you were talking about.

Like I was saying, I can't recall seeing two top prospects in a draft being born on the very same day who were not born together of the same mother. :)

BTW, I'm surprised Wang never thought of signing Siamese twins to play goal.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
It's a typo on many lists. He is a 96 born. Just turned 18 last month. (13th)

Thanks, that makes more sense then.

With that info, plus what I've been reading lately, I'm starting to get the vibe about a few things:

Bennett may go #1.

Ehlers may be drafted before Draisaitl (who may drop a bit down to the 7-10 range).

I've probably been underrating Ritchie, who could go top 5 or 6.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Alex Tuch now #9 on ISS. The kid is rising big time. Huge RH C/RW.

In terms of pure need, he probably fits the bill at RW better than anyone else in the Draft for us IMO. Along with Nelson and Lee, Tuch would upgrade our size quotient quite a bit and we wouldn't be pushed around by bigger teams like the Bruins and Flyers.

I'm not necessarily advocating targeting him, I'm just tired of discussing the same names over and over. I've liked Tuch for a while and we've done well drafting big boy college kids. He's going to BC so you know he'll be developing in an excellent college program. I think he could be NHL ready in 2 years.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
On TSN they did a quick mock draft with the current bottom 5 teams remaining where they are right now in the lottery.

Here's the selections they made:

1. Buffalo: Bennett
2. Oilers: Ekblad
3. Florida: Dal Colle (cited strength down the middle in need of a wing)
4. Buffalo: Draisaitl (Isles can't afford to give up 15' 1st rounder)
5. Flames: Reinhart

Personally speaking, if this happened and we ended up with the 4th overall pick and give it up to Buffalo with Reinhart dropping to 5, I'll lose the plot.

I notice more and more mock drafts have Draisaitl rising up boards with scouts really liking his play but I just don't see his game translating as well as the likes of Bennett or Reinhart to the NHL. His skating just is nowhere near good enough and with his style of play he likes to slow everything down with the puck, I just don't see it working well in the NHL or the Islanders system which is seemingly very quick and speed based.

I even saw a writer saying Draisaitl is his number 1 guy for the draft this summer and I just can't see it. I'd be disappointed if we drafted him to be honest. TSN (10th March) has Leon Draisaitl as the 4th best prospect now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad