2014 NHL Draft Discussion: Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I like Ritchie too, but even if we pick @ 10th next year, it will be better. Be real people...The chances of landing us a good goalie for next year is LOW. If we enter next year with THIS goalie tandem...forget it. We are ending up with a top 5-ish

The only player who could help us next year is eckblad (with limited and protected minutes a la donovan). I pray we fire snow before the draft.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Outside of the top-3, I like Dal Colle a lot too. I think his style of game and his ability to play LW would be a very good fit with Tavares and Okposo. Not likely next year, but he could make noise the year after. It would be nice having a high end offensive forward like him in the system. As noted by others, probably will be a LW yet has played center. High skill, high hockey IQ, character. Those are all hallmarks of Isles top picks.

the reason that my interest level isn't as high as your with regards to dal colle is because i feel as though he is further away from a true impact than the other three. this team needs to be winning a lot of games in the next four years if jt is going to stay with this franchise beyond his contract. the top three might be able to help with that while i don't know that dal colle can. not saying that dal colle isn't in their class, just that he might take longer to get there. ordinarily i wouldn't care about the arrival date, but the jt situation is pressing, in my opinion.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
With all the speculation I think the draft lottery will really have a big swing on what happens to this year's(possibly next year's) 1st round pick. If we somehow get into the top 3, most would say keep it and pick either ekblad or reinhart and then we give our 1st rounder in '15 to buffalo and pray we don't tank. But with how this team is run, someone tell me how this off-season is going to be any different and we are gona sign some players? We haven't signed anyone notable for several years. We are better off-trading 14' and MAYBE getting an NHL player back and a prospect and/or pick. I say maybe because with Garth we don't what return we would get. Regardless, we do have a solid amount of picks this year, I say trade this year's first and maybe move someone at draft day if you feel the need to get into the 1st round this year.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
With all the speculation I think the draft lottery will really have a big swing on what happens to this year's(possibly next year's) 1st round pick. If we somehow get into the top 3, most would say keep it and pick either ekblad or reinhart and then we give our 1st rounder in '15 to buffalo and pray we don't tank. But with how this team is run, someone tell me how this off-season is going to be any different and we are gona sign some players? We haven't signed anyone notable for several years. We are better off-trading 14' and MAYBE getting an NHL player back and a prospect and/or pick. I say maybe because with Garth we don't what return we would get. Regardless, we do have a solid amount of picks this year, I say trade this year's first and maybe move someone at draft day if you feel the need to get into the 1st round this year.

someone raised this point above:

if the pick is traded, does anyone have confidence that garth snow can peddle it for a quality player?

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
someone raised this point above:

if the pick is traded, does anyone have confidence that garth snow can peddle it for a quality player?

If the pick is kept, does anyone have the confidence in garth that he will draft the right player? I understand anything can happen but he can pull what he did in 08 and trade down and draft someone that won't help us.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
If the pick is kept, does anyone have the confidence in garth that he will draft the right player? I understand anything can happen but he can pull what he did in 08 and trade down and draft someone that won't help us.

Yes.

Snow has been fine in the players he has drafted besides, a top 3 pick is straight forward as to who you select. Bennett, Ekblad or Reinhart and move on.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002

i do, as long as the pick is in the top three.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm not a Button fan, but I see that he has Draisaitl at #4 on his list now (Dal Colle dropped to #5).

But the thing that stood out to me is, for a supposedly weak draft compare the 2 WHL imports (who are both about the same size BTW), Draisaitl this year to Nino in his draft year, 2010 (where Nino went at #5, a possible slot for Draisaitl):

Nino Nied: 2009-10 Portland WHL 65GP 36g 24a 60pts

Draisaitl: 2013-14 Prince Albt WHL 60GP 35g 62a 97pts

In this year's draft there's Ekblad, who appears to be a great RH defense prospect with size, and then there are 4 forwards with decent size who are all 90+ point players in the WHL and OHL. After that, production-wise there's a big dropoff to what appear to be more 2nd line/2nd pairing type prospects (except for perhaps Ehlers). So, IMO if the pick is 6 or lower you let Buffalo have it. Whether you keep 4 or 5 depends on what the scouts think of Dal Colle and Draisaitl.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I'm not a Button fan, but I see that he has Draisaitl at #4 on his list now (Dal Colle dropped to #5).

But the thing that stood out to me is, for a supposedly weak draft compare the 2 WHL imports (who are both about the same size BTW), Draisaitl this year to Nino in his draft year, 2010 (where Nino went at #5, a possible slot for Draisaitl):

In this year's draft there's Ekblad, who appears to be a great RH defense prospect with size, and then there are 4 forwards with decent size who are all 90+ point players in the WHL and OHL. After that, production-wise there's a big dropoff to what appear to be more 2nd line/2nd pairing type prospects (except for perhaps Ehlers). So, IMO if the pick is 6 or lower you let Buffalo have it. Whether you keep 4 or 5 depends on what the scouts think of Dal Colle and Draisaitl.

Considering the assist difference... what about their linemates? I forget who the big baby played with, and I am too lazy to look tonight. Draisaitl plays with Morrissey and I have heard, not watched, but heard there is something good there.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Considering the assist difference... what about their linemates? I forget who the big baby played with, and I am too lazy to look tonight. Draisaitl plays with Morrissey and I have heard, not watched, but heard there is something good there.

I think Nino may have played with Johansen, but I'm not sure. And I seem to remember the other winger being drafted too.

BTW, I'm probably short-changing Fleury by saying there's a big dropoff after #5. He seems like a good prospect too. Guys like Perlini and Ritchie then start seeming like 2nd liners to me. So maybe there really is a top 6, which would be consistent with the earlier post indicating Snow said they'd keep a top 6 pick.

MarginallyTalented

Mar 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I really would be satisfied with any of the below, I feel like they all have realistic first line potential.

Sam Reinhart
Sam Bennett
Aaron Ekblad
Michael Dal Colle
Leon Draistal
Haydn Fleury
Nikolaj Ehlers (highest ceilling if his game translates to the NHL , needs to add a bit of weight)

Last edited:

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Been reading more and more about Bennett and talked to quite a few people about him, I'm completely sold. I want him selected by the Islanders in the 2014 draft so badly. I absolutely love how feisty he is. He just offers us things we don't have on the roster right now and someone who is getting better and better, his ceiling is so high.

He'd be an outstanding addition to the Islanders. I'll all aboard the Sam Bennett train.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I honestly think the weak draft chatter is exaggerated. It may not be as deep as next year's draft when you're talking about players rated in the second half of the first round, and it may not have the typical "franchise player" at the top like McDavid or Eichel. But the top guys in the 2014 draft project to be top line NHL players.

It may not have a Crosby, Tavares, or Stamkos. Instead, it's got a bunch of Halls, Seguins, Nugent-Hopkins, Duchenes, etc. But I think that lack of the former group is why a lot of folks are dismissing it in favor of McDavid's draft next season when in reality there are some elite prospects in this year's top ten as well.

Morrissey is a defenseman, so he's not linemates with Draisaitl. The next best forward on Prince Albert (points-wise) is Collin Valcourt, with 61 points to Draisaitl's 97. So I don't think he's got as good a supporting cast as Nino did in his draft year.

As for the assist total between Draisaitl and Niederreiter, keep in mind that one projects as a playmaking forward, the other a goal scoring forward. Draisaitl is, and likely always will be, the better playmaker. Nino projects to be the better goal scorer.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Top 3 this year we have to pick. Out of the top 3 we should send it to Buffalo as I have a hard time believing, no matter how much $$$ we have to spend to get to the cap floor, that ANY Fa's are gonna want to come here. We could very well be just as bad next year.

How funny would it be to see us be good and the Rags tank next year and see their fans losing their minds over trading that 2015 pick? As bad as the Vanek trade was, and it was bad, that trade for St. Louis might be looked at as just as bad if not worse in a few years if the rags indeed have to give up 2 1st's for a couple of years of an almost 40 player.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
League officially announced the number of games Sam Bennett is suspended for. He's gone for 5 games (already served 2 of them), and will be back for the final regular season game on March 16.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
League officially announced the number of games Sam Bennett is suspended for. He's gone for 5 games (already served 2 of them), and will be back for the final regular season game on March 16.

STK, would you characterize Bennett as tough/gritty or more cheap/chippy or something else? And did I read a Gilmour comparison somewhere? I know comparisons to past great players is usually silly, but it does give a frame of reference to those of us who've never really seen a kid play.

Also, since you seem to really know the OHL, would you skew Ekblad towards NHL-ready and Dal Colle towards 2 years away?

Finally, do you see the WHL kids much or at all? I'm intrigued by Fleury's size and July birthday and the descriptions of his play (seems to be a real smart/poised d-man, which I love).

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
If we keep the 2014 pick even if its a top three there will be growing pains with whomever is picked. Even Tavares had growing pains, and still does. No one picked in the draft is going to come in and play like he's 28 years old and a veteran. The whole point of the Vanek trade was to give up the future so the Isles would concentrate on the present. Well how did that work out? So now fans want to trade the pick or give up the pick; again which is it? IMHO I don't trust Snow trading the pick and coming out ahead. Pure and simple, this is not rocket science. It's just not going to happen. So the alternative is to either keep the pick or defer the pick to Buffalo in the hope that the Isles suck again big time next year and we get a chance at drafting a generational talent. How has that worked out in the Past? If we would have sucked just a little bit more perhaps we could have had Doughty, Stamkos, and Hall just to name a few. Perhaps, and then perhaps I'll hit the lottery, buy the Isles and make everyone happy. It's not happening; if we get a chance to pick a top 5 in this draft the Isles should keep the pick, its the path with the least chance of screw up. Look I'm a grandfather, and I remember my mother telling me that old adage about the bird you have vs. the two birds you think you can get. With the Isles I look for them to go with the path to the least screw ups. If I were a praying man I would certainly pray for them to follow the path that they can least screw up. If the Isles have one of Ekblad, S. Reinhart, Bennett, or Dal Colle fall into their lap, then IMHO that is the path they can least screw up. Yes, whomever is picked most likely won't contribute next year, but they will at some point contribute and contribute big. I certainly don't want to give any one of those kids to Buffalo. That IMHO would be typical Islanders.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
STK, would you characterize Bennett as tough/gritty or more cheap/chippy or something else? And did I read a Gilmour comparison somewhere? I know comparisons to past great players is usually silly, but it does give a frame of reference to those of us who've never really seen a kid play.

He's closer to the chippy description. This recent suspension aside, I don't really think he's cheap. He's not an agitator like Marchand or Cooke, who go out of their way to get under the opposition's skin, nor is he the type that's running around cheap shotting players. He's just a guy who will initiate contact, and who will push back (sometimes crossing the line) when confronted.

The Gilmour comparison is more accurate in terms of his temperament. He's got that same fire Gilmour had. He plays with an edge, and sometimes that edge causes him to cross the line (thus this recent suspension). But on the whole, his game is more about playing physical and not backing down.

Also, since you seem to really know the OHL, would you skew Ekblad towards NHL-ready and Dal Colle towards 2 years away?

If you've followed my posts, I tend to be ultra conservative when it comes to prospects. So I'm one of the few who actually thinks unless a prospect dominates junior hockey -- and I mean dominates with a capital 'D' -- to the point where they literally look like they're playing at a level above their peers, there's always something they can improve upon in junior. I don't view Ekblad as one of those types who are head and shoulders above their peers.

Having said that, Ekblad's probably as close to NHL ready as any prospect in this year's draft. He's got the size and strength to handle NHL competition. So while I don't think he'll have the kind of first year impact a guy like Seth Jones has had this year, he's close enough that he can start the year in sheltered minutes, then progress up the depth chart depending on how he handles the transition.

Dal Colle has made huge strides from his rookie season to this season, so I'm hesitant to label him as "NHL-ready" or "2 years away", etc. Similar to Bennett, one of the main things that might hinder him is his lack of weight/strength. Talent-wise, I think Dal Colle can play in the NHL next year. But one more year of junior would allow him to work on his defensive game (which isn't NHL-ready, IMO), and to bulk up and get stronger.

On the other hand, you see how well a guy like Brandon Saad has transitioned to the NHL. I personally think Dal Colle will be better than Saad when all is said and done, but how much of Saad's quick success is due to him having a more "NHL body" compared to Dal Colle? If Dal Colle can bulk up over the summer, who knows? However, the conservative in me thinks at least one more junior season for Dal Colle. After that, all bets are off.

Finally, do you see the WHL kids much or at all? I'm intrigued by Fleury's size and July birthday and the descriptions of his play (seems to be a real smart/poised d-man, which I love).

Unfortunately, I catch only the occasional WHL game on TV. So I really don't have a large enough sample size to comfortably comment on Fleury's game.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Morrissey is a defenseman, so he's not linemates with Draisaitl. The next best forward on Prince Albert (points-wise) is Collin Valcourt, with 61 points to Draisaitl's 97. So I don't think he's got as good a supporting cast as Nino did in his draft year.

As for the assist total between Draisaitl and Niederreiter, keep in mind that one projects as a playmaking forward, the other a goal scoring forward. Draisaitl is, and likely always will be, the better playmaker. Nino projects to be the better goal scorer.

Poor choice of words on my behalf Syd. I should have said guys who are on the ice together. Tavares had Del Zotto, even got traded with him.

If he has worse support than Nino did then that really says something. Many people in here love Ritchie and I have seen Draisaitl beaten up but maybe he's the better guy. The scouting reports I have seen recently seem to suggest it.

I still hope for Ekblad though.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
He's closer to the chippy description. This recent suspension aside, I don't really think he's cheap. He's not an agitator like Marchand or Cooke, who go out of their way to get under the opposition's skin, nor is he the type that's running around cheap shotting players. He's just a guy who will initiate contact, and who will push back (sometimes crossing the line) when confronted.

The Gilmour comparison is more accurate in terms of his temperament. He's got that same fire Gilmour had. He plays with an edge, and sometimes that edge causes him to cross the line (thus this recent suspension). But on the whole, his game is more about playing physical and not backing down.

If you've followed my posts, I tend to be ultra conservative when it comes to prospects. So I'm one of the few who actually thinks unless a prospect dominates junior hockey -- and I mean dominates with a capital 'D' -- to the point where they literally look like they're playing at a level above their peers, there's always something they can improve upon in junior. I don't view Ekblad as one of those types who are head and shoulders above their peers.

Having said that, Ekblad's probably as close to NHL ready as any prospect in this year's draft. He's got the size and strength to handle NHL competition. So while I don't think he'll have the kind of first year impact a guy like Seth Jones has had this year, he's close enough that he can start the year in sheltered minutes, then progress up the depth chart depending on how he handles the transition.

Dal Colle has made huge strides from his rookie season to this season, so I'm hesitant to label him as "NHL-ready" or "2 years away", etc. Similar to Bennett, one of the main things that might hinder him is his lack of weight/strength. Talent-wise, I think Dal Colle can play in the NHL next year. But one more year of junior would allow him to work on his defensive game (which isn't NHL-ready, IMO), and to bulk up and get stronger.

On the other hand, you see how well a guy like Brandon Saad has transitioned to the NHL. I personally think Dal Colle will be better than Saad when all is said and done, but how much of Saad's quick success is due to him having a more "NHL body" compared to Dal Colle? If Dal Colle can bulk up over the summer, who knows? However, the conservative in me thinks at least one more junior season for Dal Colle. After that, all bets are off.

Unfortunately, I catch only the occasional WHL game on TV. So I really don't have a large enough sample size to comfortably comment on Fleury's game.

Thanks a lot, that's great info. At this point most of these guys are just names and stats and heights and weights, although there is a bit of info out there. I find every guy in the top 6 interesting for one reason or another. I really like the sound of Bennett's temperment - love the guys who play with fire and an edge. And Dal Colle seems like the kind of guy who could go 4th or 5th but then end up being the best player to come out of the draft down the line.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Thanks a lot, that's great info. At this point most of these guys are just names and stats and heights and weights, although there is a bit of info out there. I find every guy in the top 6 interesting for one reason or another. I really like the sound of Bennett's temperment - love the guys who play with fire and an edge. And Dal Colle seems like the kind of guy who could go 4th or 5th but then end up being the best player to come out of the draft down the line.

Gonna see if the Prospect's Game is on Youtube, and re-watch it. Dal Colle, IMO, was the best player in that game. I was aware of him every time he was on the ice.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Gonna see if the Prospect's Game is on Youtube, and re-watch it. Dal Colle, IMO, was the best player in that game. I was aware of him every time he was on the ice.

Dal Colle looked good in the Prospects Game, not great though. The kid has got a sick shot, lightning fast release. There wasn't much the goalie can do on his goal, I think he went top shelf from what I remember. His skating wasn't bad, but it could use some improvment. I noticed that everything he does is high effort, looked a bit frenetic to me. He needs to fill out and when he does, he could be the best player from this class.

Of all the players at the top, I think Dal Colle may be the best fit for us. He plays a similar puck possession style to JT and has high end offensive instincts and ability. Whether he stays at center or wing, I think he could be an excellent LW for Johnny and KO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad