2014 NHL Draft Discussion: Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuwo

Jun 2, 2010
SVK
On TSN they did a quick mock draft with the current bottom 5 teams remaining where they are right now in the lottery.

Here's the selections they made:

1. Buffalo: Bennett
2. Oilers: Ekblad
3. Florida: Dal Colle (cited strength down the middle in need of a wing)
4. Buffalo: Draisaitl (Isles can't afford to give up 15' 1st rounder)
5. Flames: Reinhart

Personally speaking, if this happened and we ended up with the 4th overall pick and give it up to Buffalo with Reinhart dropping to 5, I'll lose the plot.

I notice more and more mock drafts have Draisaitl rising up boards with scouts really liking his play but I just don't see his game translating as well as the likes of Bennett or Reinhart to the NHL. His skating just is nowhere near good enough and with his style of play he likes to slow everything down with the puck, I just don't see it working well in the NHL or the Islanders system which is seemingly very quick and speed based.

I even saw a writer saying Draisaitl is his number 1 guy for the draft this summer and I just can't see it. I'd be disappointed if we drafted him to be honest. TSN (10th March) has Leon Draisaitl as the 4th best prospect now.

I would not be disappointed with Draisaitl, however I would not be happy if Snow takes him with Reinhart still on the board. I personally still like Reinhart as the BPA of this draft class.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
One more time:

Trade our 1st to Anaheim for Anderson and Ottawa's 1st

then offer

Strome, Pulock and Ottawa's 1st for PK Subban

Sign a 2nd line, experienced free agent, proven 20-goal scorer and Mark Stuart

our "D" is

Subban - Hamonic
CDH - Reinhart
Viz/Hickey - Stuart

With Pokka, Mayfield, Pedan and Pelech in BPT with CHCHCHCH or however you spell it.

Anderson
Nabakov

That's my hope for the draft.

MarginallyTalented

Mar 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
One more time:

then offer

our "D" is

Subban - Hamonic
CDH - Reinhart
Viz/Hickey - Stuart

With Pokka, Mayfield, Pedan and Pelech in BPT with CHCHCHCH or however you spell it.

Anderson
Nabakov

The first trade is realistic however the second one is not. I understand Subban is a RFA but there is no way in hell in Montreal would accept that for Subban. His value is close to Tavares to the Habs. I think it wouldn't be worth to trade for him considering what the Habs would want. I'm thinking along the lines Strome + Hamonic (need to replace
some of his minutes) and our 1st this year (top 5 ) and even then who knows if they accept that

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
The first trade is realistic however the second one is not. I understand Subban is a RFA but there is no way in hell in Montreal would accept that for Subban. His value is close to Tavares to the Habs. I think it wouldn't be worth to trade for him considering what the Habs would want. I'm thinking along the lines Strome + Hamonic (need to replace
some of his minutes) and our 1st this year (top 5 ) and even then who knows if they accept that

ANH has also stated they aren't moving Andersen.

The reason people are suggesting Edm is because they have a need for a dman and have a GM who wants to make an impact.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think we might get Halak. I don't think the Caps are gonna keep him. Either that or Bryz is gonna sign with us as our backup. Don't think any team would give him a starter contract. We might get lucky this summer because I am trying to think of a team that REALLY needs a goalie...and TBH There aren't that many.

I think

Islanders
Canucks
Buffalo
and MAYBE the Flames.

As far as Subban is concerned...he's the type of player that has to play his game. If you try to make him play a system, he gets confused. This is why he isn't doing well in Montreal. He is playing a system that he can't grasp. They were talking about this all day on the Montreal radio station.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
On TSN they did a quick mock draft with the current bottom 5 teams remaining where they are right now in the lottery.

Here's the selections they made:

1. Buffalo: Bennett
2. Oilers: Ekblad
3. Florida: Dal Colle (cited strength down the middle in need of a wing)
4. Buffalo: Draisaitl (Isles can't afford to give up 15' 1st rounder)
5. Flames: Reinhart

Personally speaking, if this happened and we ended up with the 4th overall pick and give it up to Buffalo with Reinhart dropping to 5, I'll lose the plot.

I notice more and more mock drafts have Draisaitl rising up boards with scouts really liking his play but I just don't see his game translating as well as the likes of Bennett or Reinhart to the NHL. His skating just is nowhere near good enough and with his style of play he likes to slow everything down with the puck, I just don't see it working well in the NHL or the Islanders system which is seemingly very quick and speed based.

I even saw a writer saying Draisaitl is his number 1 guy for the draft this summer and I just can't see it. I'd be disappointed if we drafted him to be honest. TSN (10th March) has Leon Draisaitl as the 4th best prospect now.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Was that Button on TSN? He sometimes seems to go out of his way to be different (probably to attract attention).

I could absolutely see the top 2 going:

Bennett
Ekblad.

And then Dal Colle going #2 ahead of Reinhart is not impossible. But Draisaitl ahead of Reinhart? That seems very doubtful, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ritchie going ahead of Draisaitl, among others. But who knows!

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
One more time:

then offer

our "D" is

Subban - Hamonic
CDH - Reinhart
Viz/Hickey - Stuart

Anderson
Nabakov

I think Stuart re-signed with the Jets, 4 years/10.5. Really wanted him too

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
ANH has also stated they aren't moving Andersen.

The reason people are suggesting Edm is because they have a need for a dman and have a GM who wants to make an impact.

Anaheim said they wouldn't trade Anderson or Gibson for a rental at the deadline, not that they wouldn't trade him at all. I think they will know around the draft if they want to keep him, because they will have either resigned Hiller, or he will be walking.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Anaheim said they wouldn't trade Anderson or Gibson for a rental at the deadline, not that they wouldn't trade him at all. I think they will know around the draft if they want to keep him, because they will have either resigned Hiller, or he will be walking.

Interesting. I never saw the quote stating the rental...just that they wouldn't be moved.

I don't think they move Andersen even if they resign Hiller...which I expect them to anyways

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Interesting. I never saw the quote stating the rental...just that they wouldn't be moved.

I don't think they move Andersen even if they resign Hiller...which I expect them to anyways

If they do resign Hilller why would they not let Gibson be the backup? Unless they REALLY think he needs AHL time and then how elite of a prospect is he really?

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
If they do resign Hilller why would they not let Gibson be the backup? Unless they REALLY think he needs AHL time and then how elite of a prospect is he really?

Because they are paying him 70 grand in the AHL to play and develop. Andersen at a million the next 2 years. There is no need to play with their goaltending situation, it is arguably the best in the nhl. They have a top 10 pick right now.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I just compared stats on TSN from McKenzie's January ranking to Button's March ranking. I'll leave Ekblad out of this, but he trucking along at about the same pace all year.

1st line Jan snapshot,
2nd line March snapshot
3d line from Jan to Mar:

GP G A Pts

Reinhart:
36 21 36 57
56 34 63 97
20 13 27 40

Bennett:
40 26 40 66
56 36 55 91
16 10 15 25

Dal Colle:
45 28 38 66
65 38 56 94
20 10 18 28

Draisaitl:
38 19 37 56
60 35 62 97
22 16 25 41

Ritchie:
38 19 22 41
57 38 32 70
19 19 10 29

Perlini:
44 28 32 60
54 32 37 69
10 04 05 09

Ehlers:
42 27 35 62
60 47 51 98
18 20 16 36

Last edited:

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I'm warming to the idea of Ritchie. Looking at those stats, and then seeing the 6'2", 220lbs thing. Nice. :)

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The notion that the Isles should give up a top 5 pick this year to save an unknown position next year pisses me off to no end. That a major news outlet would make such a jump is even worse. Talk about a slap in the face, if I had no life, there would be a sternly worded letter headed TSN's way.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Because they are paying him 70 grand in the AHL to play and develop. Andersen at a million the next 2 years. There is no need to play with their goaltending situation, it is arguably the best in the nhl. They have a top 10 pick right now.

I think its a waste to have Anderson as the backup, he would be the starter on a lot of teams right now, and sitting him on the bench for 50-60 games is a waste of development time. I just can't see them giving Hiller 25+ million over the next few years when they have 2 of the best goaltending prospects in the world. I really think one of Hiller/Anderson will be off the ducks next season. Either losing Hiller to UFA or trading Anderson for a player that will help their team.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I agree ^^^

Plus if i'm ANA, I sign a veteran FA goalie as the backup once ANderson is gone so Gibson could continue his development (If that's what their line of thinking is anyway).

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I hope we can somehow trade up and get Demko, the kid has elite skill, and is putting up great numbers, especially for a true freshman. Kid could be Americas next stud in net.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I agree ^^^

Plus if i'm ANA, I sign a veteran FA goalie as the backup once ANderson is gone so Gibson could continue his development (If that's what their line of thinking is anyway).

And if Hiller goes down? They have a very capable, young backup in Andersen. There is absolutely no reason to move him. Having 2 capable goalies is a very good thing. ANH is probably extremely happy with their goalies. They have picks and some good prospects. I don't see any reason to make a change...

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I hope we can somehow trade up and get Demko, the kid has elite skill, and is putting up great numbers, especially for a true freshman. Kid could be Americas next stud in net.

I'm a big fan of Demko myself, have seen him play on the tube several times. I also recall that the same exact things were said about Rick DiPietro back in the day.

I don't know how high Demko will go, but I wouldn't be comfortable drafting him any higher than a late 1st (we'll need to trade up) or with our 2nd rounder. No matter how impressive a young goalie can be and look, I think that's the appropriate value for a young stud these days.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I agree.

Ehlers is the bigger risk but he has the bigger reward if he pans out.

The only fowards I would take ahead of him are Bennett Reinhart and Dal Colle.

I like Ritchie and Draistle but Ehlers is a freak.

Ehlers is so skilled and dynamic, the good far out weights his his size.
He is 5 11, just needs a few pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad